SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_518991381

EC and pH levels in hydroponics

Harry Hydroponic
6 months ago

Good evening....

So I'm getting started with hydroponics after some experience with soil gardening. I've learned quite a bit since the summer. I've hit a snag and hoping you all can help.

I have a tower garden that uses a pump to circulate the water up and down. I had a reading of 6.4 pH with 1.7 EC. This had been stable for a couple of days. However, my PPM was about 800. I had read that ideal range is 800-1500 for nutrient levels. So I thought, ok, I need some more nutrients so I added 3mL of 5-0-1 (I have approximately 3 gallons of water).

So as expected, my PPM went up to around 1100. However, my EC spiked to 2.3, which is too high for my goal - I am mostly trying to grow greens (lettuce, kale, spinach, etc). So I wanted to have a pH around 5.5-6.5 and EC needs to be around 1.0-1.5.

I know that adding pH-balanced water will help dilute and lower the EC while adding nutrients helps raise the EC. How can I lower the EC without lowering the nutrients? This is where I seem to have hit said snag. I haven't planted any seeds yet since I don't want them to "burn" due to the high EC.

I appreciate any insights and advice you can offer.

Comment (1)