SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ckoeppel

Paint Color for Tennessee Home

Cindy Koeppel
4 months ago

I posted recently about my move from Iowa to Tennessee, sharing pictures of the home I made an offer on. I couldn't come to an agreement with the builder on a few things so I retracted my bid.

I found a new home and need paint color suggestions for the walls. The entire house is painted a cold white. I would like to warm it up, paint tge fireplace with a dark accent color, all to coordinate with the flooring.

Comments (186)

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    last month

RedRyder do you like it over the leaf one I posted above?

• happyleg
    last month

Cindy Red Ryder clicked on the leaf pattern

• Related Discussions

House paint colors & do I paint brick?

Q

Comments (19)
    Your brick is attractive, so I wouldn't paint it. If I were prioritizing, high on my list would be replacing those arched garage doors. I'd replace the front door, too. Those will be the most expensive parts of your project. Simple things you can do: remove the panels beneath the windows, remove the shutters, paint the downspouts to disappear. Here are a couple of color schemes: P.S. I really like your simple, but attractive landscaping and the way it leads the eye right to the entry.
    ...See More

whole house paint color and bedroom paint color

Q

Comments (13)
    You’ll have to see what works with your preferences and your house. We went through a lot of white and gray samples and ended up with Sw passive for the house (which I looove) and Zurich in the kitchen only (because I wanted more warmth on the kitchen walls.) Well, ended up loving Zurich so much that now I’m repainting all my house in Zurich.. in our space it looks really velvet-y and not too bright nor to dull.. one bedroom will be Sw white flour (lighter white) is all and another is already sw light French gray. Best of luck with your project. Let us know what you end up with!
    ...See More

Boring house/paint color-Ideas to make the house appear larger

Q

Comments (9)
    A significant part of the issue is the completely obscured front door. I only found it because I knew there had to be an entrance somewhere and I saw a tiny white railing peeking out from behind that monster-bush. Change the landscaping, change the garage doors as noted above. Go with an off-white house color and maybe a taupe trim color. I like the “after“ color combination here: https://styleblueprint.com/nashville/everyday/a-fixer-upper-before-and-after/ It would be a nice change from what you have now, but not too drastic. And probably everyone will start copying you. New house numbers, garage lights, paint the downspouts the same color as the siding.
    ...See More

Need Benjamin more paint color ideas to paint a south face beach house

Q

Comments (1)
    To get good suggestions, we need to see more of your decor, all walls, floor, and furniture (for colours).
    ...See More
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    last month

I am getting ready to order the rug. Flo suggested to size up to 9’3” x 13’. I measured and I am concerned the rug will be in the walk way or is it ok? The rug will end approximately where the sample ends.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last month

Can you slide it over one board width? If so I would go with bigger. It will anchor that space very nicely and especially with high ceiling. But kind of personal choice.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last month

It looks like bar stools are swivel so no need for space to slide stools back.

• btydrvn
    last month

I would definitely want a wider space for walking..too narrow could be a safety hazard

• btydrvn
    last month

Especially as the new rug looks so close to the floor color

• btydrvn
    last month

Will the next size down work?

• btydrvn
    last month

Will the stools be that tightly spaced?..how can people sit that closely together? A wider shot of the whole area would help

• drblount10
    last month

GM! Just saw your questions about your rug. I agree a wider shot would help now that all your furniture is in the new place. There may be something with layout. I would love you to have room to expand your table so chairs are not crammed.

Did you decide about your chandelier?

• RedRyder
    last month

Re: fixtures - I’m not sure which is the leaf one. How close are these fixtures? They need to “relate” but not be exact.

As for the rug size, post a further away shot of the whole room. I think drblount10 might be right - the furniture arrangement may need tweaking before you buy your rug.

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Above our kitchen island is 17 ft to a sloped ceiling. We bought this beautiful pendant/chandelier. It is large and we are not sure how high to hang it from the island due to its size. The fixture is 15.75" H X 13" W X 46.25" D

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Broader pictures to help with the pendant and rug

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Pictures

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    27 days ago

We are replacing the fan too

• drblount10
    26 days ago

It has been hard for me to tell if you are holding out on me! You have picked a beautiful pendant light. A pro [on here] can help measure, but I do know it should not be too low. It could box in the kitchen and make people at the bar hit their head.

It would look good over the table or over the island, actually. Did you decide on that chandelier--your Kichler one like palm leaves, or another one?

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    26 days ago

The Kichler one is what we chose. Thank you on the pendant! It is even prettier in person.

• happyleg
    26 days ago

Nice!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    26 days ago

Hang the pendant so the bottom of the lights are approximately 33" above the top of the island countertop. Make sure no Heads working or playing at the island will hit their heads. Not sure on the measurements. But don't hang it too high. Biggest error. Have electrician leave extra wire up in the junction box just in case you have to adjust after you live with it for a while. That is so mid-century, I wonder about what to choose for over the table? Any decision on that yet?

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    26 days ago

I really love the Kichler one with the palm leaves

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    26 days ago

This one

• RedRyder
    26 days ago

That fixture will be nice over the dining table.

• drblount10
    26 days ago

GM, saw your beautiful armoire and realized I've been looking at the view from the back if the house and not the front. Can we see the view from the front door? This will make a difference.

I can't tell how these 2 light fixtures will look together when you come in.

I would also love to see the table turned and extended. If no room, put 2 chairs on either side of window and bar cart, on standby.

1 barstool could also go away and be on standby, if it is cramped there.

Looks like the focal point is the back window wall and fireplace when you come in. You have the ivory curtains, maybe painting the fireplace would be a good choice.

Wall art: would love to see what you have. I remember the 2 with your dining set. Do you have a large sign or photo of your baking business?

I may be getting ahead of myself, this is a beautiful home!

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Here are pictures from the front of the house to back. I have a nice print in the living area. I have actually thought about painting the back wall where the windows are an accent color. I can see what you are saying about turning the table and using two chairs on each side of the window. It is worth a try at least! I am so excited, we are expanding our back patio with an addition of a paver patio, getting irrigation and sod installed, and putting up a short retaining wall with a wrought iron fence on top of it. Our backyard slopes and the retaining wall will help with erosion. We just had the patio epoxied.

• happyleg
    25 days ago

No painting a wall an accent I think it would be a poor choice Maybe the fireplace TV wall but I don't know did she remove the shelving in the dining room or set still there? I prefer it without the shelving in the dining room it'll look more spacious

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Happyleg, I left the shelving. It is brand new and a housewarming gift from my boyfriend’s parents. I know it looks crowded but we will make it work.

• happyleg
    25 days ago

Oh ok.

• RedRyder
    25 days ago

What is the plan for lighting in the living room if you choose this fixture for the dining area? You’re now bringing in brass and black. Those work with your decor but the fan in the sitting area is now the outlier. Would,you consider changing that as well?

These full house photos are very helpful.

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Yes we have a black and gold fan we are installing. The fixtures that were in this house were less than desirable.

• amateurdeziner
    25 days ago

In regards to the ceiling fan, it looks as though the builder centered it between the fireplace wall and the wall close to the front door. From your picture it looks like the fan is directly over the love seat. Since you are replacing it you might think of centering it in the middle of the living room.

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Do you think there is room to rotate my table?

• happyleg
    24 days ago

There appears to be room to rotate your table might have to rotate the rug too don't know you could measure

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    24 days ago

I am worried the light fixture will be off-centered of the table if I rotate it. I will definitely rotate the rug once it arrives.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    24 days ago

I would rotate table. It would give you more walking space too. While I love the dining room chandelier you like, it seems too visually heavy for the space? How wide is it and how wide is your dining table?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    24 days ago

Once you rotate table, we can get some photos to mock up lighting choices for you.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    24 days ago

I think taking advantage of that ceiling height is a great idea. Here are some options.

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    24 days ago

The fixture is 37” wide. Table is 46” wide

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    24 days ago

Ok. Not the best estimate/mock up. But it will look very nice I think even with table turned. Brings black and gold. But I would consider different pendants.

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Thank you! I think it will be beautiful. We already purchased and installed the pendant.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    24 days ago

How high is ceiling at that point? I think you posted that but I couldn’t find it. In any case, it is a beautiful piece. I would describe it as “elegant wheat stock” not palm. There are some amazing palm leaf fixtures if that is what you are going for. Bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    24 days ago

“Stack”

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    24 days ago

Oh ok. I didn’t realize the “pendant” was already installed. Sorry. Been super busy getting ready to move at end of March! So, I apologize for missing that fact. AND, as usual, things get worse. At about 1:30 am today I was making me a tea and went to the sink and the rug at the sink was sopping wet. Yes, some kind of leak under the sink. I was able to turn water off at the sink and from the dishwasher and we have a dehumidifier that I was able to roll into the kitchen and have pulled a couple gallons of water out of the space in front of sink! Never a dull moment. Plumber just texted he is on the way. Fingers crossed he can fix whatever is going on! Two days before our last move, we had pipe freezes and 6 pipe bursts! We seem to be repeating history but hopefully caught this in time to avoid bigger problem.

• drblount10
    24 days ago

GM! Thank you for the pictures from the front entrance! The chandelier looks good in Flo's mockup and it matches your end table and spiky plant in the living room!

Is your LR rug big enough for the DR? I remember the gray and pink and how it went well with the kitchen. The kitchen rug looks great!

Then again, with the wheat on the chandelier, it will go with your DR rug choice . . .

How big is your table extended? How many people typically use it? I can tell things are different than your previous place. Do you want any feedback on layout here?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    23 days ago

Plumber came and found a bad disposal causing problem. Our landlord went and got a new one at 7:40 last night and brought it over. The plumber installed and as of 1:45 pm today, all is dry. Dehumidifier is still pulling out a lot of water from the air near the sink but that is a good thing. Gave them good tip! Appreciated their long day and dedication to getting this fixed! Nice! Any further thoughts Cindy? Any chance you can try turning your table? If it would help you could post the floor dimensions of the dining space and I can do a scale drawing for you to help?

• drblount10
    20 days ago

Hello, never mind my comment about switching rugs. Forgot we needed a really light DR rug.

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    18 days ago

I ordered the dining room chandelier tonight. We will need to add additional chain. The chandelier is 37” inches diameter. How far should it hang above the table?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    18 days ago

About 33” from table top to bottom of fixture. Make sure there is enough wire on the fixture. Not sure of your ceiling height at that point. But if it’s say 18’ at that point, figure 30” high table, plus 33” space table to bottom of fixture, plus 24” height of fixture is 87”. Or 7.25 feet. 18’ ceiling height equals, 216”. 216/12=10.75’. So make sure it has say 11’ of WIRE. Plus that much total chain.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    18 days ago

I just looked it up, if this is the chandelier, it has 132” of “lead wire” so just enough. That’s about 11’. If your ceiling is 18’? If your ceiling is lower no problem. If ceiling is higher then you have a problem. Or it will just hang too high. See what I mean? So the height of your ceiling is critical measurement not width of fixture.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    18 days ago

This one.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    18 days ago

Here are measurements of 9 light fixture. It’s 21.5” high. So my guess of 24” was close. It’s going to be tight. So see what ceiling height is at the table location. That’s key.