SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_172970285

Leave Wood Cabinets on Top and Paint Bottom in Kitchen?

S Hansen
7 months ago

I believe someone posted this question a long while ago, so hopefully, my ask is a little more relevant to today's kitchen designs.
Our house was built in 2009, and the previous owner just existed in the house - no upgrades to the kitchen or bath. We bought it a year ago and thought "why would we paint perfectly good wood cabinets?" So, we decided just to put up a beautiful green backsplash to spruce things up. Side note: husband thought we should paint them, but "agreed" with me to leave them.
Well, and much to my husband's chagrin, this past week it finally dawned on me that these are builder grade, and in ten years (maybe less), we are probably going to rip them out, so why not paint them to live a little?
I know the norm in two-tone kitchens is to leave darker cabinets on the bottom and lighter at top to keep the space feeling open, but I thought why not do the opposite? Sage green on bottom and leave the wood (or paint them brown) on top? Are we crazy? We are a little artsy, so thinking outside of the box is normal for us, but painting cabinets might be a commitment. Or, at least, I feel that way because I have never painted cabinets before. However, really excited to use liquid sander!!!
In one of the pictures, I have a paint can with almost the color of sage we are looking to use with the backsplash for point of reference.
Thanks for your input!

Comments (15)