SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_774179796

tree to fill in gaps in my norwegian spruces

HU-774179796
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

I have 3 norwegian spruces planted 20 years ago in a row as a privacy screen towards my neighbor. Now these trees are 50 feet tall and getting sparser. So I'm looking for ways to fill in the gaps at the 15-20foot level where my neighbor's windows are.

One idea was to grow some kind of ivy on the dead branches to fill in the gaps. But perhaps more reasonable would be to plant more trees.

On my neighbor's side there's a small gap between the 6 foot fence and the spurces where I'm considering planting American Holly trees. The area only gets morning sun. On my side, I'm considering planting a "virgina pine wate's golden" to create a mass of yellow evergreen foliage at the 15-20foot level. This yellow pine would pop against the dark green of the norwegian spruce, but it seems like it could potentially grow up rather messy looking and this would be the focus point of my garden. Not sure how I would prune it to stay as a dense pretty mass at the 20 feet level. I'm also not sure if it would be healthy for my norwegian spurces to plant trees so close to them (10 feet away)

Curious if anyone else have faced this dilemma and if there are any evergreen trees that would form a dense mass at 15-20 foot level? upstate NY zone 6a

Comments (3)