SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Crazy, absurd bathroom renovation!

Kendrah
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

A year ago we purchased an NYC studio apartment owned by an 82 year old artist with absurd taste. The bathroom pipes and fixtures, from 1938, were so corroded we had to rip them out. The room is 90”-ish x 60”-ish, we were prohibited from relocating fixture and window locations, and we wanted to make it safer for everyone who would be using this guest bathroom, especially my parents.

I posted at least 10 different design dilemmas. You all provided invaluable help - Palimpaset, Chispa, Jan Jan, and so many others thank you!

BEFORE

NOW

A few notes - We hired an occupational therapist who specialized in design. She recommended not using ADA towel bar / grab bar combos and instead use hooks for towels. We have two in the bathroom and 5 additional hooks in the dressing room right outside this door.

Needle in a haystack resources:

- Robern medicine cabinet great narrow cabinets

- Bryant visual comfort bathroom sconce - great for short distance between mirror and ceiling.

- Kingston Brass Console Sink - Only one with legs that could be narrowed to fit between our heater and wall.

- Shower curtain rod - wall mounted one end and ceiling mounted the other, only one on the market I could find! Have to look up who made it.

- Crosswater - British company makes sink and tub fixtures that are smaller sized than typical American behemoths and look better in small spaces.

- Toto - good narrow toilets!

- Kohler, 60" cast iron tubs with lowest sides, easier to step over, 14".

- Daltile, makes good anti-slip floor tiles.

For fun:

Farrow and Ball paint - color Drop Cloth

Restoration Hardware Italian shower curtain

Comments (16)