SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

My Best First-Time Blooming Seedlings

shive
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

I had a lot of seedlings bloom for the first time this year -more than 50. Since this was such a bad season here, I have a lot of hope for those that performed well on their debuts, and also hope for the incredibly beautiful ones that had low bud count and short scapes. These were the ones with the best bud counts and branching. ( I'll put my favorites that I hope will improve in the comments.)

(Symphony of Praise X Henry Lorraine) X Bubblegum Queen had the best bud count and branching. The best scape had 17 buds and 5-way branching. It had instant rebloom on one scape and later rebloom on the other. All told, it bloomed from June 1 to July 19. A lavender pink bitone, It has a 9-inch bloom on a 29-inch scape this year. It's also multiplied the best of any of the new seedlings to bloom. I don't find it the prettiest of the Bubblegum Queen kids, but it does have the best plant habit.

Judy's Jewel X Bubblegum Queen #1 ended up having 17 buds. When it first started blooming I thought it had 14. So either it did some bud building, or all the buds weren't visible for several weeks. Blooms were 7-8 inches on 28-inch scapes. It bloomed from June 2nd to July 8th with two-way branching this season.

(Zuzu's Treasure X Dearest Valentine #2) X Believe in Angels had 17 buds and three-way branching on 31-inch scapes. It bloomed as a late this first season. I'm interested to see if it is a late in future years.

Judy's Jewel X Bubblegum Queen #2 had 16 buds. The flowers were 7.5 inches on 28-inch scapes.

Tully Mars X Venetian Pools also had 16 buds on its best scape. The pattern was consistent when temps were cool.

Here it is when temps went up into the 90s. It keeps somewhat of a pattern, but the color doesn't look nearly as good.

I Remember You X Kindred Jewel had 15 buds on its best scape. This one is a good multiplier. It already has five fans.

Debra

Comments (25)

• shive
    Original Author
    8 months ago

These were favorite seedlings that bloomed for the first time that had bud counts of 6-12. I hope they will improve their plant habits in future years.

American Doll X Bubblegum Queen #1

Blue Over You X All Things to All Men #2

Confessions of a Hemaholic X Silver Sword #3

English Lavender X Seedling #2

Forty Days and Forty Nights X Absolute Ripper #2

Gypsy Cats seedling X Ripsaw #3

Freedom of Expression X Violet Sabrewing #1

Freedom of Expression X Violet Sabrewing #2

Gypsy Cats seedling X (Razor Sharp X SC Night Vision)

Kiss of Paradise x Facemaker - late bloomer

Pink Aloha X Bubblegum Queen #2 rebloomed

All Things to All Men kid

Roman Cohort X The Ultimate Sacrifice had a 31-inch scape and a 7-inch bloom.

Stenciled Infusion X Royal Cypher

SC Francis Busby X (The Ultimate Sacrifice X Red Edition)

Stenciled Infusion X (Aztec Headdress X Banded Broadbill) #1

Stenciled Infusion X (Aztec Headdress X Banded Broadbill) #3

The Ultimate Sacrifice X Blood of the Martyrs #1

Unknown X Unknown - likely Diver Down X Seedling

Tides Roll In X All Things to All Men

Untamed Heart X There's A Place had a 29-inch scape when most seedlings were very, very short.

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    8 months ago

Confessions of a Hemaholic X Silver Sword #3 and Untamed Heart X There’s a Place are my favorites. All are keepers! I love, love, love the Untamed Heart seedling!

I understand why it is so hard to cull any! Toooo pretty…..

Sherry

• Related Discussions

First bloom on my 3 year old seedling

Q

Comments (14)
    That is about the height of my 2 year old seedling that is trying to bloom - notching in at exactly 24 inches / 2 feet. I wasn't aware at how tall it was until I brought it in last night to put under a grow light -- comes right up to my hips / waist. Boy did it grow like a weed this spring / summer! Makes you proud that something you planted and grew from a small seed has grown to flourish and bless you with beautiful flowers, does it not?
    ...See More

Seedling about to bloom for first time

Q

Comments (3)
    Don't feel bad...I asked the same thing...but went one step further and tried googleing it...cause I thought it was something special. Turns out NOIDs are special I think I like them better.
    ...See More

My very first Veracruz Rose seedling bloom!

Q

Comments (10)
    Thank you, David! It's a big flower (check), great smell (check), not a huge plant so far (check), nice petal shape (check), good contrast on the colors (check)--yes, keeper! Dave, the outer stripe color seems a bit more intense than the original, though the petals are lacking that charming point and inner ruffling so far. Hard to tell until more blooms open up. The tree is just a hair under 4 feet tall, not fat or thin, and the growth has been steady each year. All my VCR seedlings exhibited strong growth that first year, but the leaf nodes on this are pretty evenly spaced. The foliage is nothing special and kinda sparse, unlike the one other VCR seedling I kept. But I think it may grow a bit less gigantic. The new branches off this inflo are not even starting yet, so it will probably always grow slowly.
    ...See More

Some of my seedlings that first bloomed in 2018

Q

Comments (7)
    First off, I like them ALL. Therefore, none should feel left out when I list my favorites, so just consider them runner-ups. There's not an ugly duckling in the flock:) You sure have the magic touch when doing purple seedlings of which I can never get enough of seeing....so if you have more, pretty please? I had to scroll up and down a couple times to determine which were the faves. I especially like #004, #006, #008, #009, #012, #016. (#012 looks bitone to me and is my absolute favorite, just love it!). I do like #017 for it's unique look and also it's good plant habits. I think I'm going to be terrible when it comes to culling my own. LOL
    ...See More
  • mantis__oh
    8 months ago

The There's a Place seedling looks interesting. What is the size of the flower?

• shive
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Mantis - I didn't measure the There's A Place flower, but just guessing I would say it was 5.5-5.75 inches. On the first year to bloom, I typically only measure the flowers that look very large.

Sherry - Another vote for the Untamed Heart seedling! We'll see how that one develops. At least it's already multiplied from one to two fans. I think my favorites are all very pretty. There are a few more I really like, but I thought I'd probably already posted too many.

Debra

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    8 months ago

That's an impressive group of first timers. We have been super busy here (just concluded a Facebook sale), but I want to go through them carefully to pick my favorites and to see what crosses are bringing you such success.

Nancy

• mantis__oh
    8 months ago

As I understand, All Things to All Men is a good breeder, but the cultivar itself is often splotchy. Is that correct?

• shive
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Mantis - Yes, All Things to All Men is splotchy nearly 100 percent of the time here. Emmerich claims it's her best breeder. Most of the kids I've gotten from it do not share the splotchiness trait. I keep it only for its breeding potential.

Debra

• daylilybedmaker
    8 months ago

Debra,

You have several beauties here. I like the BLUE OVER YOU x ALL THINGS TO....#2, PINK ALOHA x BUBBLEGUM QUEEN #2 (love the ruffled edge. I wish the pink color was a brighter pink. I wonder what would happen if it was crossed with GREAT WHITE - since it is supposed to be a color clarifier). I also find THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE x BLOOD OF THE MARTYRS #1 very attractive (that color scheme seems to have really gotten my attention over the past few years). I think my favorite is UNTAMED HEART x THERE'S A PLACE.

David

• Brad KY 6b
    8 months ago

Lots of beauty, great stats! Judy's Jewel X Bubblegum Queen #1 & 2, Blue Over You X All Things to All Men #2, Confessions of a Hemaholic X Silver Sword #3, and Untamed Heart X There's A Place are my favorites, but so many others are so pretty as well.

• shive
    Original Author
    8 months ago

David and Brad - I'm surprised that Untamed Heart X There's A Place is a hit with everyone so far. I may have to move that one to some prime real estate.

Brad - The Judy's Jewel X Bubble Queen kids are my top favorites and the two out of this years crop most likely to be registered someday.

David - I'm glad you like the Blood of the Martyrs kid. Both the petal color and the watermark are deep, rich shades of red, and I hybridize for white edges. The Pink Aloha kid is a pretty one and the bloom is about 7 inches. I no longer have Great White, but I might try crossing it with White Ambrosia or Fancy Lace in the future.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    8 months ago

Debra, Untamed Heart X There's A Place is such a great combo of colors, very striking. It is my favorite of these. The Blue over You kid is second.

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Brad - You always like the lavenders best! The Untamed Heart seedling does have pretty colors.

Debra

• lilykate7a
    8 months ago

So many beauties here. There are so many different ones. Are you expanding your hybridizing goals or do you just visualize what some crosses might be? You have your fabulous reds and pinks. But some of these purple and lavenders are so striking. Just curious!!! :)

• shive
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Kate - My main hybridizing goal is large flowers with white edges - no matter what the petal color. I've always done a few UF crosses and patterned crosses. I did a lot of crosses with All Things to All Men because Karol Emmerich claims it's such a wondrous parent, and most of those are purple and lavender. Many of my All Things kids did not bloom this year, but I really liked the ones that have bloomed so I'm hopeful for the rest. A majority of what I do is crossing my intros and seedlings with other cultivars. There are days when I just see two blooming and decide to cross them. I only wish I had the room to plant more of my seeds.

Debra

• Nancy 6b
    8 months ago

You have some stunning seedlings this year, more than usual I think. Or maybe that is the ones that appeal most to me, the purples and reds with nice edges. I see too many for me to even list.
    Forty Days and Forty Nights X Absolute Ripper #2 caught my eye though. I do love the All things to All Men seedlings. Must be something different in the air here, I had a few splotchy blooms from All Things, but generally was fine. Just not my favorite look, I just got it because I kept reading how great a parent it is.

• shive
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Nancy - I have more total seedlings now because I took out so many registered ones over the past three years to have more seedling space. I'm almost ready to ditch most of the registered ones in favor of mostly seedling space. I'm glad you like Forty Days X Forty Nights X Abs. Rip. #2. I especially like that one, and I hope its bud count improves next year.

A lot of the ones I find splotchy aren't splotchy for you. I think it's more humid here because I'm close to the Cumberland River, so there is heavy dew most summer days. All Things to All Men does make some pretty seedlings. I haven't crossed it with many purples, but I'd like to do more of that in the future. And I'd like to try it with pinks too. Unfortunately this year All Things only put up one scape, so I didn't have a lot of its pollen to work with. It's a bad pod setter for me.

Here are a few more first-time blooming reds and purples, since you like those so much.

Gypsy Cats Kid x (Razor Sharp X SC Night Vision) #3 has a small cream and gold edge

$exy Samantha X SC Night Vision

Click Bait X (Mayans Dawn X The Ultimate Sacrifice)

Thanks for your comments!

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    8 months ago

Gypsy Cats Kid x (Razor Sharp X SC Night Vision) #3 is very pretty!

Brad

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    8 months ago

I promised I would make some comments so here goes. Your group of seedlings is impressive especially since they are new ones.

In the first group I like Judy's Jewel X Bubblegum Queen # 2. I like the wonderful pink coloring with the watermark and gold edge.

Your patterned one in the first group is also impressive. I'm not an expert in patterns (we grow very few) but the pattern in cooler temps in one of the best I have seen. I also appreciate that it has a pattern in warmer temps. Get Jiggy, for example, is just an eyed daylily in warmer temps in our garden.

In the second group, there are almost too many to mention. I like the Gypsy Cats seedlings, the Stenciled Infusion seedlings, and the SC Frances Busby seedling.

In the purple group I like the SC Night Vision X Violet Victory seedling. I like the shape of the bloom along with the blue eye and the edge.

In the last group I like the Click Bait seedling. I like the red with the picotee white edge on petals and sepals.

Nice work!

I understand how you feel about your seedlings. We spend most of the our time looking at the seedlings and we neglect our named ones. Once you start using your own seedlings inu our crosses (which you do) you don't have as much need for the ones from other hybridizers. That's why we hope to cut our named varieties in half.

Nancy

• Nancy 6b
    8 months ago

I agree about the patterned one. Venetian Pools was a favorite of mine here til it got crown rot last year. It lasted several years and was a nice clump too. The nice thing, it was very consistently patterned.

• shive
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Brad - Thanks for the comment on Gypsy Cats Kid x (Razor Sharp X SC Night Vision) #3! I originally told myself I could cull everything out of toothy breeding that didn't have teeth. But there were some like that one which were just too pretty NOT to keep.

Nan - Thanks for carefully looking and commenting on so many of the seedlings! The teeth on SC Night Vision X Violet Victory did not show up until we'd had several days in the 90s, so they are heat dependent. I do like the colors on that one in any kind of weather. The Click Bait seedling is a pretty shade of red. I just wish it had a watermark.

Nan and Nancy - The Tully Mars patterned seedling holds its pattern in the heat better than the other one I have with lots of ripples and waves. Here, most patterned daylilies lose the waves when temps hit the 90s. I still have Venetian Pools, but it hasn't bloomed in three years. I think it's in too much shade now. It doesn't show much of a pattern for me in high heat.

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's always fun to see which ones resonate with each of you.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    8 months ago

My top two are Pink AlohaX Bubble #2 IF it doesn't loose any color at all. I'm off of pale pinks at the moment.......Speaking of pinks, I've told you how much I like The Color of Wonderful's shade of pink. Can you use it to hybridize with?......Number 2 is Royal Invitation x Razor. If it gets close to registration I'd love to hear more stats on it....Honerable Mention goes to $exy Samantha x SC. The picture reminds me a bit of Linda Beck which I liked, but needed to bloom more for me.....2nd HM goes to Click Bait x. Like reds with simple white edges and it looks like a pretty shade of red in your picture.......Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Maryl - That picture of Pink Aloha X BQ2 was taken when temps were in the high 90s on a rebloom scape. It doesn't fade as much as mama Pink Aloha does, and it does look nice at the end of the day. I have two other seedlings from that cross that have not bloomed yet. I'm hoping they will be as nice or better than the one pictured.

I have used The Color of Wonderful for hybridizing. Unfortunately most of the seeds usually die of mold, bugs or damp off. I do have four seedlings with it crossed with a $exy Sam. seedling. They'll either bloom next year or in two years.

I'm glad you commented on those two purples since no one else did. Royal Invitation X Seedling looked good on its maiden bloom but didn't have many buds. I hope it will improve as it matures. $exy Samantha X SC Night Vision has such a round form and nice color that it delights me. It reminds me of a Stamile purple I used to grow called Silver Rings.

The colors on the Click Bait seedling remind me of Santa Claus's suit. I look forward to see how it improves next year.

Thanks for commenting on so many of these!

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    8 months ago

I’m with Maryl on the Click Bait seedling, such a rich looking red. The photo tells me its more of a pink/red than Cherokee Star, am I right? If so that makes it a keeper in my mind…..that’s such a hard shade to find.

Sherry

• shive
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Sherry - I don't think of the Click Bait seedling as a pink red. The color is sort of similar to a maraschino cherry. Around the eye it's lighter in color. I think if it had more water and less heat that might be a pink watermark. It was extremely dry when it bloomed, and that area is so far from the hose it didn't get watered much. It didn't have many buds to begin with and some of them dropped, so I only saw two or three blooms.

Debra