SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_289349974

Should I try adding color to this bathroom?

9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

We just had the house that we intend to live in for the rest of our lives built. After a year and a half of nothing but decisions, I have significant decision fatigue, however we still need to do one final coat of paint throughout. The hall bathroom is relatively bright with a large window and white walls. We have white walls throughout, with matching white trim. We are not afraid of colors, and I had initially planned to paint all of the walls a darker plant green/british racing green or peacock color, pivoted to a chinoiserie pattern wallpaper, and then gave up on making decisions and left it at white walls. The house is a modern prairie style home with a lot of natural light.

I'm open to many options. My concern is that with a darker color, the bathroom will feel (shockingly!) dark, especially considering the dark grey tile on the floors and shower walls. Our primary bath has only a solar tube and nearly black tiles on all walls and while it's a wonderful cozy space, it's a different vibe than I'm hoping to go for in the hall bath. Also, using a green will cause any plants added to the bathroom to fade into the wall color, and I am a sucker for plants. The pros of a color other than white are that the mirror and lights will pop against the walls, but I'm not sure if that's enough of a reason to paint.

Pastels aren't usually colors that I go for, but for lighter colors, my primary thoughts would be a grey lilac color, mustard or a jadeite color, but I'm not sure I could get my husband on board with either of those.

Comments (7)