SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Mosquito Control Reccommendations

mtnrdredux_gw
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

We have toyed with screening our verandah in Maine, and ended up nixing it for two reasons. One, even though our verandah faces the ocean, it really is the "front" of our house; it is where our front door is. Though I have seen it done, I think screening the front entry (as opposed to back or side) is too casual. Second, my favorite thing (most people's fave thing) is to sit on the verandah and take in the view. Right now it is mostly an open expanse and our "viewshed" as my landscape architect called it, is a very generous 270 degrees because of the topography. I hate to mar it in any way.

So, we installed Mosquito Curtains, and I wanted to report back on this, our third year with them. They are basically floor to ceiling white mesh curtains on tracks that surround three sides (the fourth side is the house of course). The "doorways" close with magnetic snaps. They are easy to operate and DH said easy to install (I provided the lemonade). The co. was terrific to work with.

During the day, I tie them back and i think they actually enhance the space aesthetically. We untie them at dusk. They create a not unpleasant veil-like effect when untied. If we had chosen black, they would have been less visible when open, but when tied back I feared they would look unpleasantly funereal. I am happy we went with white. We take them down in late Fall.

They work surprisingly well. We can enjoy the space without giving any thought to mosquitoes (or bugs generally). We leave the door to the house open and it becomes like another room. It also provides some of that psychological sense of enclosure that is often welcome at night. Our ceilings are about 9 feet high IIRC, and the area we "screened" is about 45x12. The curtains were ~$2000.

Here they are tied back on one side, and here they are closed; the magnets pretty much automatically close after you walk through.

We also bought this little fella to use down by the pool at dusk. Usually there is enough of a breeze off the ocean to deter mosquitos, but when not this works well IME. I am not sure what is emanating from it... but it has no odor and is otherwise undetectable.

Comments (23)