SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_lee62

Quartz Countertops Inlay Seam

11 months ago

Im remodeling my kitchen and doing white quartz countertops with veining. My kitchen has an L shaped back walls with a corner sink and a large island. Contractor has said that we can use prefab pieces for the wall counters for best cost, but the same supplier doesn’t make matching slabs big enough. Another supplier that only sells raw slabs does have super jumbo slabs that are big enough. So my options are:

A. Use the slabs from prefab supplier and have a seam in the island. I think this would stand out.

B. Use prefab for wall counters and try to find best match large slab from other supplier, but it won’t ever be 100% match.

C. Use prefab for wall counters and use a totally different island slab color. I was thinking this might work in black, but so far haven’t been able to find that, only a light grey almost concrete color that I don’t love.

D. Buy all raw large slabs and have it fabricated to our needs. This is the best way and have it all match, but much higher cost.

E. My wife had the thought of using two prefab island pieces and add an inlay/runner at the seam in black/dark color. We plan to paint all the cabinets white and the island cabinets black. This would be similar to a table runner and thinking about 6” as this would be readily available as a backsplash piece. We would have a seam in the island, but it would seem intentional as contrast. Ive been trying to find any examples of this being done, but haven’t found anything. Only thing I could find was something like this done in a concrete countertop. I even thought about doing just two slabs in dark and light seamed together, but wife doesnt think that would look as good.

Has anyone done this last option or seen it done anywhere where we can see a photo? Conceptually it seems like it would work and actually look nice and unique, but would love to see someone that has done it. it would be horrible if its done and we hate it.

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• 11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Here is my 2 cents. I would choose D. If you can avoid seams and have it all match; it is money well spent! When I had my kitchen renovated, my kitchen designer highly recommended to get my countertops without seams. I have a galley style kitchen; and chose Silestone soapstone quartz; no seams. He used a fabulous and experienced quartz fabricator, who used laser measuring, and my counters came out perfect!! Houzz has sooooo many posts about people so unhappy about their counter seams. Make sure you choose an experienced and highly recommended counter fabricator. A good counter fabricator is just as important as the countertops you choose! Do your research; it is time well spent. Best of luck on your journey!

• PRO
    11 months ago

DIVIDE THE DIFFERENTIAL

Yes...... between the lower and "much " Higher cost. How long will you have the kitchen. ?? Lets say this is 4000.00 Will you be there ten years? It's 400 per YEAR. Do you want to love it? And it is worth 400 a year to love it?

D is probably your answer and it won't stand for despair when you find you hate the lesser option and th d stands for DO over

• Related Discussions

Quartz countertops - seam and corner joint/is it fixable?

Q

Comments (46)
    HU: HD contracts with different fabricators all across the country. They like to award all the work in a particular state to a single fabricator.
    ...See More

quartz countertop seam

Q

Comments (7)
    This was installed a year ago. 😩 And yes i have gone as far up the chain as they will allow me at lowes. Meaning they will not give me the VP's phone number. I talked to the director at corporate for this department, who oversees countertops. I had to fight hard for him to meet me half way on other issues like the countertops chipping. He told me they had been used for several months and that would i expect to get a refund or help to make it look new if i bought a new car and drove it for a few months. I am not exaggerating. Its so sad. And we saved up for a ling time. And do not have much money. So we cant do it again. Lowes has said they are not liable, that i need to take it up with installer. But i tried to explain thats why i went to lowes so They would handle it for me. They get a cut to be the middle man!
    ...See More

Help! Is this seam in quartz countertop acceptable??

Q

Comments (11)
    It's not horrible; the whites are some of the most difficult seam inconspicuously. I'm betting that's not factory color match adhesive. Place a straightedge over the seam please. It shouldn't have a gap and if it rocks, the pieces are out of plane to each other and the bottom of the seamed sides are touching, making it impossible to pull the top of the seam together tightly. The sink can be dropped and the seam sawn apart fairly easily and mess-free; I've done this. Put the pieces on plane, use factory color match adhesive, and pull it together with Gorilla Grips.
    ...See More

Acceptable seam in Quartz countertops?

Q

Comments (13)
    It looks pretty good to me. Your pictures are quite “close up”. Seams in a countertop will never look “seamless”. I chose seamless countertops as I did not want the seams. In time you probably won’t be focusing on your seams. Post some pictures of your countertops from farther away; I bet they look good!!
    ...See More
  • 11 months ago

Probably D is the right answer, but I hear you on trying to save some money.

I think the idea of 2 slabs with a contrasting center is kinda cool - but..... you need a third piece of something (another slab? a lot of waste?). I was thinking if you COULD find a super cheap contrasting remnant and you have a pony wall down the center - that would be a great place for some island pop ups! Intentional, different, etc.

And just like that - I took your cost saving idea and turned it into something that will likely cost more than Option D.

Ask me about more ways to spend more money than you intend to while searching for lower cost alternatives. It's one of my superpowers.

• 11 months ago

Thank you for your comments @kculbers & @JAN MOYER. Yes, D would be most ideal but around double the cost. An additional issue is that the supplier that has these super jumbo slabs (135" x 77") only has a limited selection of about 5 colors they come in. We chose a color we liked from the first supplier before realizing this dilemma.

@JAN MOYER I haven't thought about that cost that way to divide over our time in the house...very interesting perspective and may sway our decision if we can settle on one of the limited colors with cost being the only issue.

A little background info...this is our first house that we just bought. We were between buying a brand new build with the ability to choose materials and this house built in 1998 that needed updating. Ultimately decided on this house as we could get it around $50k cheaper than a new build and it has a large lot size that can't be found in any new builds anymore in our part of CA (other than custom homes). We thought that this $50k budget would let us remodel this house how we want it, but after needing to do all the bathrooms we are already double that amount. Trying to save on cost where we can with the kitchen to put towards nicer appliances, but even if we stay 5 years and pay $5k more for the raw slabs...I guess that's only $1k a year with your methodology and a small % of the total remodel cost in the big picture... now only if we can find a raw slab in that size and color that we like!

Another note... we did see this on a google search and also entertaining the idea of doing this raised seating section, but using the same material instead of wood. Never liked the look of a raised bar seating area on islands in the traditional way where its 6" or so higher, but this stacked directly on top concept is interesting...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1448936663/waterfall-walnut-countertop-waterfall?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm

• PRO
    11 months ago

Nobody will WANT to do your lesser $ mistake over IF you go to sell it in five years, Just saying......

The real issue? Thinking you could refresh/remodel all the baths and a kitchen on 50k. : ) You can't. Not in this world - I wish you could. You already found that out.

J L thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    11 months ago

I am skeptical that prefabricated slabs are twice as inexpensive as custom.

• 11 months ago

@just_janni Yes, we thought that the contrasting dark/black stripe on white would be cool too! Especially since we're going with two toned cabinets painted white on the walls and black on the island, matte black hardware. The idea kind of came from seeing those table tops with colored epoxy "rivers" down the center like this:

https://www.rusticdeco.com/products/black-river-epoxy-resin-walnut-live-edge-table-top-80-x-40-inches?variant=42368901677305&currency=USD&utm_

We then also started thinking about if we could have one edge of the each side quartz broken up rough by hand and fill with epoxy to get the same kind of look or use a translucent stone like quartzite or onyx as a contrast strip and have it light up underneath as we saw a full light up quartzite countertop scrolling social media.. Then it hit us that we are now getting to more costly than option D and had to regroup. I guess figuring out how to spend more while trying to save is a skill that we share!

Really wish I could find an example of the contrasting strip in the center on an island as there's plenty of thin strip remnants like this in slab yards. There's many examples of islands with different color countertops and we would easily take a full black island counter to contrast with the Calcutta quartz we want for the back counters and full height backsplash, just cant find one locally at the size we need.

• 11 months ago

@JAN MOYER Yes, if we went forward with this then we definitely know it may not appeal to everyone at resale and it's a risk. Leaning towards the full slab option all perfectly matching as best for resale, the compromise will just be having to go with one of the limited colors that isn't our first choice and can probably be ok with but don't love.

Being our first house, we DEFINITELY know now that our remodel budget was not enough and may have been oversold by the realtor in what can be done for what cost... if we had to do it again, I'd probably just buy a house 100-150k more that was remodeled. Lesson learned!

• 11 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC Based on your user name I'm guessing you're a company or contractor, so I'll double check with them if you think something is off. From what I understand it's labor having to make all the edges on the cut slabs and they charge more to handle slabs at 135x77 for risk of breaking in transportation, etc. They also said that they have bigger discounts at the prefab supplier vs. the one with the larger slabs. Should this not be as much more as they making it out to be? After realizing that I need to increase my remodel budget, my issue is now not entirely cost, but just how to get countertops in a color we like that has sizes to fit our needs. Do you know any suppliers in N. California that has a large selection of 77"+ widths in quartz slabs?

L shaped kitchen cabinets against two walls with corner sink and island in the middle

One side countertop is 153" plus a waterfall over the end of 35"

Other side countertop is 139" plus a waterfall over the end of 35"

Full height backsplash 18" across both sides length, except behind cooktop will be higher 36"x30"

Island is 83" x 70" including overhang

They said they we need to add 3.5"-4" for any edge for them to make it from slab, thus needing the 77" width island slab.

• 11 months ago

JL, I agree the idea with a raised seating edge looks pretty nice - a high cool factor. One thing to consider with that design is the loss of working counter space on the island. Without seeing your kitchen layout don’t know if this would be an issue but it is definitely a point to consider. I do sympathize with your not being happy with going over your $50K budget for remod. It might help soften that if you focus on the larger yard you have with this house - something that is becoming more valuable & less available with each new building cycle. Also, $$ spent on kitchens & baths is the best investment in a home - both for your living comfort & for resale. My vote on your countertops - a strong D. With any other option, it won’t be too far down the road before you are saying -“Why didn’t we spend that money?”.

• PRO
    11 months ago

Ti start that island is too big if that is the size slab you need for one piece and BTW often those jumbo slabs cannot be delivered in some homes. I would never do an island more that 54" wide since I think you should be able toreachacross to clean it. BTW I hate fake plastic stone for any kitchen and if go real stone you can have an invisble seam with slabs that match.

• PRO
    11 months ago

Patricia:

Please use inconspicuous, not invisible, to describe seams in countertops. Invisible raises consumer expectations to unrealistic levels. You can get engineered stone that bookmatches and Corian and other solid surfaces are labled with consecutive run numbers for excellent matching.

• PRO
    11 months ago

JL:

Sorry, I can't help with your supplier problems.

Edging slabs is a relatively small part of a countertop job.

J L thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 11 months ago

Try looking for a Daltile showroom in your area. Their jumbo quartz slabs are the size you need. Approx. 136" x 79".

J L thanked CeeWhy
  • 11 months ago

Cambria also has jumbo slabs that are larger - our first choice was Silestone but jumbos not large enough for seamless on our larger & angled island. Cambria’s jumbo size worked with tiny bit to spare in width. Have to look up size 135”ish or more - I forget exact. Our island is 10’4” from outside angle end to end.

• 11 months ago

Another option would be to use a combo of quartz and butcher block on the island. But not with an inset stripe. Instead use butcher block for one end--1/4 to 1/3 of the total countertop length. That would look more itentional and more truly useful than an inset stripe in the middle of the island.

• PRO
    11 months ago

Show your OWN kitchen, Show the plan - the flat 2 d layout of cabinets and appliances.

Counter tops are but ONE element in a kitchen . All you are really informing? Is inches..... and finding a color you like in what is basically a white and black kitchen. What are the floors?

Show the existing condition in pictures AND the plan.

• 11 months ago

@JAN MOYER They are currently doing demo on the kitchen, so I don't have really good photos, but understand where you're coming from to see the full picture. I was mainly giving measurements to Joseph Corlett as he is a contractor to get an idea if there is a lot of increased fabrication cost for edges in my layout, not really the design. Thanks for your quick responses though Jan, I think I need to get a rendering done to see our options more realistically.

• 11 months ago

@CeeWhy THANK YOU!! Just looked and there is a Daltile in my area and they list a lot of options online for their OneQuartz in 136x79 in black, white, grey, etc. I called all around and most everyone only told me to go to Arizona Tile (where my contractor sent us) or Bedrosians, both with limited options.

This should give us the ability to find a color we like and do all slabs matching or even having the island counter in all black to stand out..

• 11 months ago

@KW PNW Z8 I didn't think about the loss of counter working space...thank you for pointing that out as a con to the raised seating area option. I did check out a supplier that sells Cambria, but said they didn't have that large of a slab size, maybe they're wrong?

• 11 months ago

JL, I just looked up my quartz on Cambria site - Colton is design name. It only comes in their ”Super Jumbo” slab size 136” x 80”. I know Cambria has a section of jumbo slabs but can’t find it on their site. Their jumbo slabs don’t come in smaller sizes - jumbo or pick something else. We had to buy 2 slabs - 1 for island & 1 for perimeter. There was a lot left of perimeter slab so we used it for our guest bath counter 42” long & had a top made to set on a cabinet in our dining room for a matching surface.

ETA: Cambria does have a list of Home Depot selections. Those are sold only through HD & the fabrication & install cost built into the HD sale cost. I don’t think any of them come in a jumbo size.

• 11 months ago

D and only D.

• PRO
    11 months ago

Thanks Joseph I agree to use the term correctly from now on. As for the rest I need a ton more info as to the actual kitchen design to help this OP

• 11 months ago

@J L glad I could help! Good luck!