SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

Putting lipstick on a laundry room pig

Jilly
10 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

The room is small and homely, but I’m trying to dress it up a little … just things I’ll enjoy looking at. It doubles as a passage to the garage, so we’re in and out several times a day.

It has a small tile counter and knotty alder cabinets pushed into one corner next to the W/D, ugly tan tile floors, a solid door going into the hallway (usually open and a few steps away from the kitchen) and a door with half window going into the garage. The other wall is just a wall, but both doors open onto it, so that leaves little space for anything. Wall colors are a sort of a light gold/khaki color with white trim. Everything I’ve described has to stay for now.

I want the decor to have a vintage feel. My inspiration is my great-grandparents’ 1922 Arts and Crafts bungalow I remember as a kid.

I’m wanting to splurge on a Spicher and Co vinyl runner, but am wavering on that. These are the ones I like best, in order:

This metal cart I ordered just got here today and is so darn cute! Army Green:

For the window on the garage door, I’m going to do a simple cafe curtain (but a bit higher than the halfway point). I’m either going to do fabric with ticking or something like these:

I’ll be using metal clips, though. And it looks gray here, but the above one is tan. I might end up making my own, and if so, maybe a block print.

I’d like to change the light in there, again with a vintage/retro style. I think a schoolhouse light, while not very original, might be perfect. Or we’ll look for something actually vintage. Maybe even funky ’70’s. When a local well-known DJ, remember The Zoo, D/FW people?, bought my great-grandparents’ bungalow in that decade, they did it up in a hippie/boho style that really impressed 9 yr old me (they didn’t ruin the integrity or original features of the house at all).

As far as art and such, I have a variety of things in there, and am deciding what will stay or go. I have a tortoise patterned lamp on the counter, not sure if it’ll stay. I don’t want the room to have a themed look, so am keeping that in mind.

Just sharing my latest project, thanks for looking! Please feel free to share anything you’re working on, I’d love to hear about it. :)

Comments (70)