SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uws2012

Need medicine cabinet/lighting suggestions

uws2012
10 months ago

I'd appreciate your thoughts! I need a medicine cabinet for a 50-54" custom-built vanity in a master bath that is 8x8 with 10' ceiling. The single sink will be centered. I want an internal electrical outlet. Lights are nice but not necessary. I've looked at a LOT of cabinets. For folks who might want to know about some of these brands:

Madeli Illusion - lots of great features, probably the most I saw. Disliked the frame. Not as substantial - but still fine - as the Robern.

Sidler Quadro - favorite design. Sidler has the most gorgeous mirrors - flawless silvering. The plastic sheath covering the lights looks too plastic-y, especially when the light is off. The door felt too delicate. I'd worry about it chipping.

Robern - AiO only available in 36" wide - is that too narrow for the vanity? Considered ganging PL Portray cabinets with Vesper edgelights: 12":24":12". This requires the most demanding installation - lining up three cabinets and 4 lights. I know some folks here dislike Robern. However, I've had good experience with them and think they are the most solid of the brands I saw.

Kohler Vedera - the 40" x 30" lighted is perhaps the best compromise (and cheapest) but have read negative reviews, especially about the LED lights failing.

Regarding LED lights - I thought I'd like the 4000K cool light over the 3000K warm light - but found the bright cool light to be too antiseptic. The 3000K will be bright enough - especially in our bathroom with a large window next to the vanity. I highly recommend getting a dimmer if it's not integrated. All of the above models are dimmable. Some lights - e.g. Robern Tenor lighting - can be "tuned" - allowing you to toggle from 2700K to 5600K.

A few questions:

1. What size cabinet would be too small? I'd like 40-48" wide. Is 36" too narrow?

2. I like the clean lines offered by a cabinet with integrated lights but open to sconces. Avoiding LED lights may be a good idea. I've read lots of accounts of light failure - e.g. the Kohler above. Thoughts on LED lights or sconces?

3. Any other suggestions for medicine cabinets? I also looked at Keuco and Electric Mirror - neither have design/function that match what I want.

Pictures below: Sidler Quadro - favorite design and Robern - three PL Portray cabinets ganged with Vesper edgelights.

Comments (14)