SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_10297213

Gutting kitchen space - what layout would you do?

CC
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Hi Houzz! We are going to gut our kitchen and start fresh and I'm interested to know what the experts here would do if you could do anything! I'm not focused on cabinet color / style / finishes at this point, I'm asking for your specific input on the layout you'd consider for the space we can make!

First, a description of our kitchen space. It's a bit oddly shaped thanks to the sink cabinet on an angle, and it doesn't get better from there with the dishwasher in the island! We do however have a beautiful view from our space of the river we live on, and that's breathtaking! Our kitchen is open to the family room and sort of open to the dining room - you'll see a post (support beam) and interior window there (dining area used to be a porch!), so we need to work around the post, but we can remove the glass! I call this house Frankenhouse because every prior owner has done their own thing (us included).

• Laundry room / pantry space is in the kitchen enclosed by walls. I plan to remove those walls, and my first thought was to flip the W/D to the pantry area and enclose it somehow? Having the W/D enclosed on the back wall makes sense to me. There is no where else in the house to put the laundry space, trust me.
  • By the way, the exterior door noted by the W/D goes to the pool, but is not main pool access, it's only used when my husband grills.
  • We are part of the Frankenhouse issue. The enclosed office space was previously open space, but we needed a home office and put up walls, creating this weird dead zone where the barstools are. That counter on an angle needs to GO, which would allow us to stage cabinets along the office wall.
  • Kitchen island is SMALL! 30 inches by 5 feet, no overhang for seating, I'd like a large island for seating, I would NOT like my sink (other than a prep sink) in the island. I want it to be a conversation / seating area, not a show where people watch me wash dishes. My husband uses the island a lot for prep (he does all the cooking) and I wish I could sit there when he does.
  • We will do away with the small kitchen table (we can eat at the island when it's bigger), but I don't know what to do with that space. Leave it open and open up to dining as well? Bring up the wall and put the sink there (what a view for washing dishes!). Something else?
  • We would also love to have a tall wine fridge, wall over and pantry cabinets!
  • We are empty nesters but we do have kids and grandkids and host a lot of dinners for the family here.
  • I'm famliar with the kitchen triangle, but we're weird - my husband's triangle is island (prep zone), stove, fridge. I do the dishes when he's done, he uses the prep sink in the island almost exclusively (because he's not washing dishes!)
  • My husband also wants an exhaust hood over the range to vent outside.

We can remove the laundry walls, move plumbing, electrical, etc. - so it really is a blank slate. What would you do if this was your space? While the cabinet / island measurements may not be to scale on my drawing, the walls are accurate (aside from how I drew the post / window into dining room, I could not get that right!!) We have a good sized space (with a few things to work around, like support beams and windows!)

Comments (13)