SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robinbohbot

Need Help with Rug for Den

robinbohbot
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

We have dark grey leather sofas and medium-dark wood floors in our den. The room feels cold and we want to add some warmth to it. We are replacing the coffee table (have the Mitchell Gold Tremont coffee table on order - root wood base with glass top). I do not like our current area rug (while it looks good in the picture it doesn't in person/always looks dirty) and want to replace it - the two choices we've narrowed it down to are an ivory shag OR ivory Fabrica Brushstrokes (carpet cut to a rug). Need help! I've looked at rugs for over a year and it's been painful to even narrow it down to these two (but I do love both of them - though am worried about too much movement competing with the root coffee table in the Fabrica). While the coffee table is on order we did see a second coffee table that's also a contender (Capiz Shell Top with Acrylic legs) - but we would have to pay to cancel the Mitchell Gold order and the Capiz table still feels cold to me (though I do like the look). So two questions - 1. Should we stick with the Tremont coffee table? 2. Of these two rug options, which would you choose?

Mitchell Gold Tremont Coffee Table -

Capiz Coffee Table -

Both rug options are ivory. Fabrica - both room view & top view:

Shag - I couldn't get a very good picture of it but it's a good quality plush shag.

I tried putting a "mood board" together - here it is (showing the sofa, coffee table and both rug options):

TIA for all your help!!

Comments (55)

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks tfitz - we can't get doors on the TV console because the speaker is there and we can't cover it. But simplifying those shelves and adding books are a great idea! I have a hard time with color because I'm red/green deficient - I prefer pops of color in more temporary items vs a long-term piece like a rug (ie pillows, throws, etc) that I can change if I get tired of them. But definitely need ideas for the den rug please!

• auntthelma
    10 months ago

Love your art! I see yellow in the fireplace piece. I love yellow and gray! Maybe look at yellow and gray in a rug and see if that can lead to pillows and a throw for the sofas.

I love the round coffee table you picked with the wood. The second capis choice is on the cold side. I dont think it will add anything to this room.

robinbohbot thanked auntthelma
  • Related Discussions

Dens for a dollar or 2 at dens. help with care?

Q

Comments (1)
    I meant at LOWES! i had a deadline - slept 3 hours!
    ...See More

Den Decorating Help Needed in Home I Want to Buy - Pics Posted

Q

Comments (14)
    thregrad and dezinerchick - Thanks so much for your replies and suggestions - you both are thinking along the lines of hilltop, so I'll definitely be taking those ideas and see how they work for the room - if I get the house, that is. dezinerchick, you mentioned blinds on the window - what do you suggest for the door - I'm not one to have a pane of glass uncovered where, though it's in the backyard, one can look through it, esp. during the night. I love my modular I currently have, but it's too big for this room, and the color doesn't go. I don't know what's under the carpeting there - the owners say concrete, but hard to believe that unless it was an addition after they built the house - the rest of the house is wood flooring, though there is carpet in the living and dining room (can't understand the reasoning behind carpeting a dining room, but that's just me, I guess) I hate that carpet in there and will definitely be changing it to something else, probably wood. But that's a whole other issue. I think I'd like to go more cottage style in this room - any suggestions? Still hoping someone will post a picture of their room that looks similar and how it's laid out. Thanks again.
    ...See More

Need help with den furniture placement and decorating suggestions

Q

Comments (6)
    Any reason in particular why you are keeping the tv over the fireplace? That must be over 8' high. That's some serious neck strain. I would probably recommend a similar layout to the previous owner. It has lots of seating, divides the entry from the living area. The window looks fine with current shutters. If you do not have furniture, start with the rug first. Find one large enough for the room. Use the colors in the rug to guide you for picking out furniture. Artwork and other wall decor can come later once you have the basics. You could always put the tv on a stand to the left of the fireplace. Have fun.
    ...See More

HELP! THIS DEN NEEDS A 911 CALL!

Q

Comments (5)
    I don't think the room or what you've done with it is as big a disaster as you've made it out to be. I would not do built-ins. The room is already long and skinny; adding built-in on a long wall is just going to make it skinnier. Don't shiplap. Besides being overdone, I don't think it works with the brick fireplace. Sectionals are not ideal in small living rooms or rooms with lots of constraints limiting furniture placement. But you don't have really a lot of constraints other than the fireplace, and you've said you want the table there anyway. Since your windows are high up, you actually have three walls where the sectional would fit easily, though it makes sense for TV viewing to put it on one of the long walls. I'd probably put the layout much like you have it, maybe adding a chair to the conversations group on the fireplace side. I'd probably change out the rug. Maybe work on the lighting. It's hard to judge from a photograph, but the light level seems low and the whole room has a yellowish cast that could be fixed by changing the color temperature of the light bulbs (or it could just be the photograph). If the lighting changes don't do the trick, I'd think about a different paint color. But honestly, I don't think I'm getting what you think is so terrible about the room now. Everything I just wrote is pretty minor and based on MY preferences and may not apply to you.
    ...See More
  • robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

auntthelma - I prefer pops of color in things like pillows and throws - I'm afraid of color in the rug lol. So if I were to go with just the ivory would you suggest the shag or textured rug?

• auntthelma
    10 months ago

Shag so fun and comfy!

robinbohbot thanked auntthelma
  • la_la Girl
    10 months ago

I also think the lighting is adding to the coldness of the room - do you have a nice floor lamp and table lamp that you could use instead of the overheads?

I always feel like overhead lighting gives a space a ”waiting room” kind of feel

A chandelier over the dining table (with a dimmer, hung at the correct height) would also be nice

• marmiegard_z7b
    10 months ago

I agree that the color scheme itself is very “cool”.

Do you like any of the color wheel opposites of blues, for accent color, such as orange/ rust/ deep peach? And related cokes Ike the warmer wood tones, caramel.

You would get more warmth if some of these could be in the rug, mixed with some of the other cooler colors to provide repetition & cohesion. Though pillows and throws could help, plus texture in the fabrics.
    robinbohbot thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks ma!rmigard_z7b! I do like orange, red, coral, caramel, yellow, etc. My problem is that I'm red/green color deficient so what I see is not what you see (ie what I think is "red" isn't the same "red" that you see - though, growing up, I've identified it as red if that makes sense). So I'm hesitant to choose colors. I do want to add texture/colors but definitely prefer to do so in throws & pillows & accessories vs something as permanent as a rug. Maybe I can add a larger accessory on the coffee table with warmer colors to pull in and include those colors in pillows & throws for cohesion... would that work? Any suggestions?

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks la_la Girl! I'd love to put a chandelier in our dining room but our ceilings are only 8' tall. Same issue with a floor lamp in the den - think our ceilings are just too low... right?

• marmiegard_z7b
    10 months ago

I really love prints ( which includes stripes, for the pattern and floral- averse) combined with solids, because can combine the accent color with either an upholstery color( or related neutral) , or a 3rd color.

What sounds like more of a problem is your color- sensing. Though you do want it to look good to you, too! Do you have a friend who can be your backup “ eyes”?

It’s usually good to bring home a few things at a time that you can definitely return— it’s a hassle but if don’t overwhelm yourself you can experiment as time allows.

I think most people buy the cheapest, throw pillows possible , which are almost always non- washable and often not that comfortable. Im a big fan of washable zipper covers and down inserts because I tend to look for patterns or colors I really love, that are important to the decor scheme, and I want to keep them a good while , and be a too have them clean and fresh. And I like cottons and linens that feel nice. Though you probably need to add at least some with some texture. I love Pottery Barn for these but some local stores like Target, TJMAXX will have a few zipper types, though random. Also some stores have a big selection online that you won’t see in store. Plus there is Etsy.

You don’t have to start out that way since you’re just starting to experiment with shifting your scheme a bit, but keep that under consideration. So you want to start with a few items you can bring Home & return easily.
  • robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks Marmiegard - we need to make a decision on the rug sooner than the accessories. I think I prefer the look of the shag (with accent colors being in pillows/accessories/throws). Do you think that will work? I do have a friend who is my color backup LOL - don't trust my husband to do it!

• KW PNW Z8
    10 months ago

Your rug question - a huge NO to shag for me. Too hard to clean too messy just too everything. I’d use one as area rug in a bedroom though. I like the texture of the Fabrica rug & it does partner well with your dining rug. I agree your colors are cool & the leather adds to that. I like the Roots coffee table - even with the glass top - cool- the base of table adds both warmth & texture to the room. Is the space where the 2 chairs are big enough to swap them out for one upholstered chair that’s larger & more comfortable looking to sit & read in or just lounge while watching TV? The upholstered chair would soften the room & add texture. The 2 chairs lined up in the niche have a waiting room look to them.

ETA - A wood side table along upholstered chair would also add warmth by taking out more of the metal legs on all table pieces in room. Add a lamp on table & you have an inviting spot.

robinbohbot thanked KW PNW Z8
  • robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks KW PNW Z8 - the two side chairs are in a nook that's 20" deep and 75" wide... not sure that's large enough for a comfy chair - maybe a chaise? Is that what you had in mind?

• KW PNW Z8
    10 months ago

@robinbohbot No, not a chaise - I’ve never seen one that was used in a living area of a home & even in a bedroom - which is where they belong, seems they just have clothing dropped onto them! 😁 20” is not very deep but maybe one chair - a club chair & maybe a swivel placed at right side would work & wouldn’t block path from french door direction. Add a table & lamp. You wouldn’t be losing seating as I bet no one sits in those 2 chairs now but someone might sit in a comfy chair for conversation with those on the couches.

• marmiegard_z7b
    10 months ago

No shag or plush!
    I hear you on rug-o-phobia, but what is the urgency? Not meaning get pillows first, but look further for a good quality rug. If you keep looking at those cool white rug colors you will not get closer to warmth & coziness. It doesn’t have to have a bright color in it, but some kind of weave or subtle pattern that combines some pale neutral, maybe a touch of the wood floor color and a touch of a warmer neutral similar to the wood table base you’re considering.

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks Marmie - I guess I feel rushed because the coffee table is coming in a few weeks and it's HEAVY so didn't want to pay someone to move it later if we don't lay the rug before it comes. Guess it's cheaper to pay someone to move it later than to quickly buy the wrong carpet and have to replace it :)

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Ok so does anyone have any rug suggestions that would warm up the room? Interested to see what y'all are suggesting and appreciate any help you can provide! TIA!!

• ffpalms
    10 months ago

I think the ivory rug color is too stark against the floor and dark furniture. I’d bring in some of the warm gold like the base of that gorgeous Mitchell Gold Tremont coffee table. This rug is from Studio McGee.

robinbohbot thanked ffpalms
  • gigi4321
    10 months ago

I'll try and look for a rug later tonight. I do have some other suggestions. You have three black rectangles in the room, at least at night when the tv is off.

1. I would hang drapes on the window to warm up that area. If you don't need the two chairs, try an upholstered bench in a solid color with dark legs.

2. Carry that color in to pillows, art, etc. Get pillows that look good with leather sofas. Not delicate, sturdy with texture. Pull color from rug. I would find a less clear/bright color for the pillows.

3. End table maybe in the same color wood as the coffee table with a lamp to bring in height to the room. If no outlet, they have wireless lamps, I think...

4. Find a rug first. I don't mind the plush/shag rugs. I like the one above this post. Be mindful of where the border lands if you get one with a border.

You could try something more colorful in art next to the french doors. I love the art over the fireplace, but it's really odd man out. Lots of color choices to pull from it.

Bring in more color! Don't be afraid! And you don't necessarily need to have a patterned rug, you could do a solid color. I understand your time issue, but don't rush into something just because of the coffee table. I think you will really love the room with a little color.

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks ffpalms for the rug suggestion - it's really pretty but I'm not sure about the border? And thank you Gigi W - so many great suggestions!! I need to get over my fear of color :) - the picture over my fireplace is one of my favorite things and it's colorful! Looking forward to seeing any rugs you suggest - or if you have any ideas for an upholstered bench in place of the 2 chairs! TIA!!

• Hope Stewart
    10 months ago

I definitely second having a trusted friend help with colors. Maybe a couple of trusted friends whose own style you like and who themselves aren't as afraid of color would be most helpful?

I think if you already have an ivory rug you feel is always looking dirty/dingy, I would NOT consider another ivory rug else you may quickly find yourself in the same predicament with the new rug. A rug could be a nice way to add some much needed pattern and color to your space. I am currently rug looking and remembered seeing a couple that might look nice in your space...

On etsy...

Also on etsy... (and one I'm actually considering for my own space)

Something like these could also be cool- in teal colorway. ETA- these carpet tiles can be cleaned and if one is unable to be cleaned for whatever reason it could be moved under a piece of furniture or even replaced. (An attractive feature for me with young kids and an old dog!)

robinbohbot thanked Hope Stewart
  • robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks Hope Stewart - I don't see the Etsy rugs you suggested... would you mind sending those again? TIA!

• Hope Stewart
    10 months ago

They are links not photos... do the links not work?

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks Hope Stewart - the links aren't showing?

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Never mind LOL - I didn't realize those were links... need another cup of coffee :)

• gigi4321
    10 months ago

Actually, if you wait for me to find you rug suggestions you will be waiting a long time. Reason? I don't like 98% of the rugs out there. I'm also extremely sensitive with colors. Hence, I don't have a lot of color in my home. Nothing is the exact right color according to me. I will tell you that the the turquoise pillows need to go. The teal pillows on the sofa, even though there's a bit of teal in the art, seem a bit off to my eye. Most people would say they work. It's hard to tell the exact colors of the artwork, but I would work with the yellow, orange and blue. But no yellow in the rug. Oh wait, I have a blue rug with yellow. But for you, I would look for a rug similar in style to your dining room rug. It's modern and has texture which will bring interest into the room. In a blue that will look good with the art. Which is a clear blue, but I would go a bit more muted.

A few other things I forgot to mention.

1. The TV console looks a bit clutter and brings the eye down. And I changed my mind about the flower art. It does have some yellow and green and is a good transition from color in the living area to the monochromatic kitchen.

2. Exterior up lights outside the big window would look great at night.

3. If we could see a close up of the art it would help with color selection.

4. Google pillows that look good with leather sofas, not all pillows do.

5. The art looks a bit whimsical, the sofas a bit traditional/heavy, the console looks a bit glam. Then you are bringing in a very earthy organic coffee table. Be careful the room doesn't end up a mishmash of styles. Eclectic is hard to achieve. I don't think that's what you are going for though. Get pieces that are neutral in style but not matchy matchy. But really you don't need anything except an end table and something for the window area. Then it's styling from there.

As I like to say when I do writing critiques. Take what resonates with you, ignore the rest.

Good luck! I'm sure the room will turn out just how you want it.

robinbohbot thanked gigi4321
  • robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks Gigi - so how do you bring warmth into your home without color? If I could achieve that, I'd be very happy. I find monochromatic very calming.

• ladybug74
    10 months ago

I think the glass tables and console is adding to the coldness. Perhaps replace a few pieces with wood? That would add texture and warmth.

Make a bigger gathering place by the sofas. Push the sofas back, bring the 2 chairs forward to be part of the sofa area. Measure for a new rug with new placement.

The fireplace is also a little bare. A mantel? Maybe?

As pp said, puffier throw pillows will add to the space. Someone taught me the trick of getting cushion covers 2” smaller than the inner cushion. So get 18” covers for 20” inner down cushions. They stay pouffy :)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 months ago

I think the introduction of teal in the room was a big mistake. Caramel would have been a better accent color.

robinbohbot thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • marmiegard_z7b
    10 months ago

I will note that if you’re getting a table that is so heavy it’s extremely to move, it will leave crush marks on your rug. Which can be unavoidable with many types of furniture on carpet and rugs. There are some protector things but depends on the “ legs” or bottom parts. Some furniture marks remain on our carpet from previous homeowner, and we’re adding a few of our own!

Anyway I guess it’s worse with high pike rugs and more noticeable with solid colors.

• Kelly Jones
    10 months ago

I really like the coffee table you are getting!

Between the 2 rugs you're considering, I like the Fabrica somewhat, but not the shag at all.

Since you're not thrilled about getting a rug with color & would rather bring the color in with easily changed accessories, you might consider a jute/sisal type rug. That would give you texture and perhaps variations of gray & brown.

Here is one:

robinbohbot thanked Kelly Jones
  • Kelly Jones
    10 months ago

And here is another:

• Kelly Jones
    10 months ago

Here's a more natural colored one:

Thoughts on any of these?

• loobab
    10 months ago

Hi Robinbohbot-

I like a round shaped table for this room (I agree with Jan Moyer as usual), and the tree base adds some earthiness to your otherwise stark room.

The problem is, the table although very interesting and nice, adds a disparate element and makes the room disjointed, as though with a multiple personality disorder, rather than uniting it with this "organic" element.

Yes, men are more about comfort.

But are those the only comfortable sofas on the face of the earth?

I notice you didn't mention a budget issue, only comfort.

Rather than putting lipstick that , well, you know...

Can you try to find some better sofas and re-jigger the room?

It is really hard to work around those grey elephants.

You are forever going to have a significant problem there.

Maybe just keep what you've already paid for so you don't lose money, and don't purchase anything else, just live with it.

And spend a lot of time on those sofas and measure every little thing about them, and study how they feel, and their density.

And shop everywhere.

And when you have narrowed it down to three possibilities, then take your husband to make his pick.

robinbohbot thanked loobab
  • robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks Kelly Jones! Where did you find those rugs?

• Susan L
    10 months ago

Have you tried warmer temperature lighting? As a test, go get an old incandescent lamp from some other room, and turn it on in there and see if that helps. That cold lighting sucks the joy out of any room, and the gray paint doubles down on that.

If you want to add warmth without color, try a warmer neutral palette and a layered monochrome look; you need some pattern and texture , as well as tonal variety in your chosen neutral. What you have now is all solid smooth shiny items (glass, leather). The lack of variety makes it feel flat and sterile. Agree with the above though, which you already know - the sofas are really hard to work around. No matter how much money and effort and ingenuity you throw at this problem, they will continue to be a huge handicap, I’m sorry to say.

robinbohbot thanked Susan L
  • robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks Andrew. How big of a rug would you suggest? Our current one is 8x10. I don’t love our sofas but working on my husband because he does ;(

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago

Please lose the teal accents. Not only do they read cold, they feel less than rich or elegant. They message to some degree.....apologies......discount store.

The coffee table. It will be a purchase you look at two years from now and ask "what the HELL was I thinking??"

ONE leather sofa. Not two. Add two fabric chairs in a warmer color.

We can't tell you what to LIKE. It it just that the urge for sparkle and glam......often takes one to cold and not exactly where you want to go. It is also true that there is a big warming trend afoot in every aspect of design. Don't confuse trend with fad. They are very different. But you can take cues from the leaders of the mass market, those pesky catalogue folks..... .

What do I mean? Wellllll it's even in the baby rooms: )

Does it mean you can't have gray? No. But its been afoot for a while now......less icy by miles.

Those two gray shiny sofas ? Hard to compete.

robinbohbot thanked JAN MOYER
  • robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks Jan. I’m definitely getting rid of the teal pillows. You’re right… they were from Amazon. Will work on the sofas for sure. This is a den not a living room so definitely want comfy. I appreciate all your feedback!! It’s really helpful.

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Jan - I love that round coffee table in the second pic. Do you know where that’s from by chance?

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

How would a Boucle or Zebra throw pillow look on the two gray chairs? Or Macrame for texture? Or warmer Geometric Print? Or Whimsical Zebra? Links on each of these pillow ideas for your thoughts please? Am I heading in the right direction? And if we only had one sofa and a chair - I assume the chair would go where we currently have the loveseat? Or would you suggest a different layout??

• Kelly Jones
    10 months ago

The rugs were from Wayfair but you can find jute/sisal rugs in numerous places.

For the pillows, consider lumbar (rectangular) pillows instead of the square ones for the chairs.

• elcieg
    10 months ago

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Love that rug and painting! Where did you find those?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 months ago

To those asking as to Houzz inspos

The second picture coffee table? RH Modern.

Want that warm toned painting? Right here, pick your size and frame

https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/auburn-overcast-i,2666173/

The rug? Etsy and un available. There are lots at different price points depending size and quality

8 x 10 below

https://englishelm.com/products/safavieh-natural-fiber-175-hand-loomed-65-wool-and-35-jute-rug-722xr?variant=42598951452839

Understand that contributions are SUGGESTIONS from any contributor. They are a feel, they are to get you on a better track. At some point ? You do some sleuthing to suit your taste and budget : ) and your room size etc

Learning to use Google image search can help you a lot. So can an Ipad or laptop. The phone is not your ally in design and selection or even browsing.

robinbohbot thanked JAN MOYER
  • robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Ok... I'm back again. I really thought about all of the feedback about our sofa and loveseat being too big and bulky. So... if I were to replace those - would y'all suggest a sofa and loveseat or sofa and two chairs? My husband likes to lay down to watch TV so the sofa or a loveseat would need to be where the loveseat is right now. So could I do two chairs with a loveseat (a sofa might be too long there)? Could I replace the sofa with two chairs instead? Any ideas or suggestions???

• ffpalms
    10 months ago

Here’s a small sofa and swivel chair from Wayfair that have received good reviews.

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks ffpalms! But if I leave the loveseat where it is, would you put two chairs in place of the sofa? I prefer leather on the loveseat.

• ffpalms
    10 months ago

I was thinking a small sofa flanked by two chairs. Here’s a 68”leather sofa.

• robinbohbot
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks. So you think two chairs are ok in place of where we have the sofa now? And a small sofa or love seat where the current love seat is?

• ffpalms
    10 months ago

I think what you describe would work, but since you like leather, and you already own it, I would probably go with keeping what you have and changing out the two chairs and the rug as BeverlyFLADeziner mocked up above.

robinbohbot thanked ffpalms