SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_344578110

Need ideas and help: New build "fairytale" roof issues?

Dana shebuilds
9 months ago

Hello! We have 2 roof concerns

on this plan of ours.

1)The main gable in the center must be corrected to remove the radius curve that is so charming. :) .The lumber yard says they just cannot provide the needed materials at a decent price unless we straighten out that gable. So we are planning to do just that. My question is how much higher do I need to bring the peak in order to properly extend the eaves the desired 30" but not block the sun - the angle of the radius roofline swooped up to allow light into those spaces.

2) The great room/primary wing roof intersection has some issues: The roofline looked okay on the simple elevation, but once I had them rendered, there was a certain area "behind" the library that connected the great room to the primary suite looking very strange. I would prefer the main gable be the dominant one on the south view, and overlap the buildings near it rather than have them cut in (and on top of) that pretty roofline. This is the south facing side of the home above. The first drafter noted the mistake when I pointed it out, but could not offer a solution, and our current architect cut in a hip "finisher" on one side and it doesn't look quite right either.

I'd like to avoid a hip, and would like to keep the pitch and height of the library roof. I wouldn't mind the hallway roof coming down lower with the peak of the library gable peaking thru on the north elevation, in order to tuck that hallway roofline under the great room eaves. Is this possible especially if we are raising the height of the main center gable? Is there another solution?

I realize there are strong (good) opinions on here and I'm willing and eager to hear all ideas, even the critical ones. This is not our first new build, and we enjoy it! It is intended to look like a fairy tale cottage in the forest, so it won't fit most folks needs in terms of style or function.

We are at the 14 month point of what was supposed to be a 2 month design period because our drafter took on too much work and had some personal issues. He had promised 2 weeks and still could not complete and provide construction documents within a 10 month window. I provided all sketches up front, and most measurements for every corner, including the height of each roof. Very few of those directions were followed originally and since we've located a more responsive architect, most of our time has been correcting mistakes made the first go around (also removing windows, if you can believe we had twice as many!). The new guy has been great. But we still cannot figure out that roofline.

Some background if needed:

The first time I designed a home on my own about 10 years ago, someone on Houzz (a very talented someone) claimed it looked like a Disney version of a house. :) He wasn't wrong looking back, but it was an awesome home to live in and we had no regrets - ) Designing our own plans and having a drafter prepare them has worked for us in the past.

We've built and flipped and renovated more times than I can count. I learn something new every time! Of course we are on a budget, like everyone. All our builds have had crazy wide ranges in terms of bids (and it wasn't finishes, it was mostly different trade line items).

We feel confident in our chosen builder, but I want to make this roofline in these 2 spots easier for them without losing the charm.

If you feel like commenting on the strange layout, I understand. We have 3 generations (possibly 4) under one roof, and 3 businesses, plus a non-profit library of close to 15k books, within these walls. Excuses excuses. :) The design and floor plan is settled and submitted to the county and the septic permit is well underway. That means no more changes to the footprint. But... we can change the roof!

Front (north) view looks pretty good.

South view is where it looks a little strange

Close up of the intersecting roofs

original plan

newest idea (looks okay from above but not from the south view)

floor plan under roof in question

From the front again (north facing). Could the hall roof just be lowered considerably and the library roof peak show more prominently from this view without looking busy?

PS Those gardens in the rendering are just a figment of my imagination and won't ever happen unless I get my knees replaced. :) .Fun to dream of gardens though!

Comments (18)