SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xander_simpson

Guildance needed, Desk desgin.

Xander Simpson
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Hello, I have some questions on how I should make this desk for my room.

1. On the right the side there is a metal frame with a tined glass panel in the middle. The goal of the glass is the keep the room open while also clealy dividing the space below my desk from the rest of the room. How should I put the glass panel in to the frame? In my head the metal frame would have a portion that the glass would sit in and a substance like clalk or a rubber insert would be inbetween the metal and glass.

2. How can I attch the table top to the support on the right with out adding extra visible hardware? I want this desk to be very clean so I would like to have no inperfections in the table top.

3. How should I attach the Aluminum/Stainless Steel accents to the desk? For the handles Im going to use simple screws but for the accent around the drawers I have no clue what to use.

4. Are my dimentions good? The current model I made is 8 feet long, 24 inches deep and 28 inches from floor to table top. The table top is made of 1 inch thick butcher block made from slabs that are 39x40 inches before being cut. The images of the desk in my room should provide some scale (The room is modeled with an accuracy of ±0.1in). Based off of this size do I need to reinforce the table top? I fear that within the next few years the desk will start to warp as they are only 2 point where is being held up from. I have thought about adding a metal bar accros the whole desk from the right support to the block on the left that is used to give the desk the ilision of it floating but I also dont want to hit my knees every time I go to sit down.

5. Any suggestions or insights mean alot! This project has been 7 months in the making and I really dont want to build this desk just to end up wishing I did somthing diffrent. If you have any questions as to the design choices I made or other specifications (all of which can change) feel free to ask!

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

I am not sure the reason fot the glass panel at all at the end if you do not want to see under the desk why not just a metal panel as for the butcher block warping over time I am not sure . I think if nothing heavy is sitting on the desk the buthcer block will probably be fine . The other option would be a metal cleat on the wall to hold the long edge and keep the area clear. But then of course it is attached to the wall so moving it would not be ideal.

Xander Simpson thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Xander Simpson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you so much! The idea of having the metal cleat on the wall is perfect.