SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanneh311

Whether to paint wainscoting same as wall color

Joanne
10 months ago

I’m in the early stages of redecorating my living room. After looking at way too many fabric and rug options, I have ordered a new sofa and fabric to re-cover two armchairs and an ottoman, and have purchased ready-made drapes while I wait for the yellow chair fabric and a green sofa sample to come in so I can check to see if they work together. I can easily return the drapes if they don’t work.

The chairs will be done in 4 weeks or so, sofa will take another 11 weeks unless it comes in earlier than expected.

I’m choosing paint colors and can’t decide if I want to use different colors for the wainscoting/trim and walls. The house is a vintage colonial, the wainscoting is the original shiplap. Same wall treatment in the adjacent foyer and dining room. The photos show the whole room, wainscoting in a corner, and several wall colors I’m testing. Haven’t settled on a color yet, may do something less neutral instead.

Any suggestions welcome. Ignore the lamp, it’s just an idea as I have similar ones in storage. The rug is already there, may replace it in the future but for now it’s staying.

Comments (23)

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Paint all the trim, ceiling, walls and fireplace the same shade of white except for the wainscoting. Then pick something in a nice pale blue/gray from your fabrics for the wainscoting.

Joanne thanked tracefloyd
  • Related Discussions

Wainscotting and Wall Paint Colors

Q

Comments (1)
    Is painting the wainscoating an option or not? If so, I would paint the wainscoating a dark color of gold, the upper walls a soft color such as Filoli Antique Lace, Toasted Wheat, etc. You could do the lower part a bittersweet chocolate sort of color and the top part a caramel or cafe au lait. The new red which is more toward the orange side seems to blend extremely well with the golds if you choose that option. I like the sound of tanned leater with those coffee and chocolate colors. It's your choice, but that sounds pretty to me, or you could even go light on the bottom and a little darker on top.
    ...See More

Have chosen a paint color will the color be the same on the wall

Q

Comments (3)
    It sounds like you have put a great deal of time and effort into choosing a color for a high visibility area and other areas that will see a lot of family time. Taking that into account, and the importance to you that it implies, I would strongly suggest that you prime first - there's just no guarantee that any paint will cover another color so well that you will get the same results as on a pristine white surface. That's a lot of area and work to find out you should have primed. Good luck, Ging
    ...See More

Keep accent wall idea - or paint same color as walls?

Q

Comments (4)
    Tough to say without seeing the whole place, but if the windows are the focal point in the room, I wouldn't paint anything that stands out, and likely would match to the white. I think you should draw attention to the window area of the room and not highlight other walls, it could look too mish-mashed.
    ...See More

Paint Wainscoting Same Paint as Walls??

Q

Comments (7)
    Sorry that is not wainscoting BTW Post a picture of your space that is the only way to get help for your space. Wainscoting is a broader term referring to decorative paneling used for centuries as: a) a wall accent; b) insulation and; c) to prevent (and cover up) damage to walls. It typically is made of wood, and covers the lower three or four feet of an interior wall.
    ...See More
  • tracefloyd
    10 months ago

I would draw the eye away from the TV any way possible. Including contrasting Wainscoting.

Gather your artwork together as a gallery on the wall around the TV ...that always helps too.

The mirror over the mantel does not have any light to reflect. Swap it with the picture on the wall to the left.

• Joanne
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Yes, the TV. The bane of my existence. I’m ready to take it down and let the DH watch on the even bigger one in the family room. I tried doing a gallery wall around it, but it seemed to attract even more attention to it so I took it back down. I may put something interesting on the adjacent wall to draw the eye.

Good point about the mirror. I have another print that fits well above the FP, will put that back up there and move the mirror.

The current room arrangement is different, the sofa is against the window wall. When I had it floating, one of my small dogs was sitting on top of the back and the other bad boy dog knocked her off it.

I have a space above it that needs artwork but the larger pieces I have may be too big. Still working on that. The two florals (identical because I was photoshopping) are maybe too close to the windows for the drapes to stack off the glass area. Another large print is too vertical to work there unless maybe the drapes fill some of the space?

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago

Not sure about the arrangement. Is there enough room to move the TV and sofa further away from the FP? Then place the two armchairs facing each other in front of the fireplace with a pouf or side table in between.

Creating two zones of seating areas is a good way to divide and conquer this type of quandry. We did this in our home and added a smaller rug for the fireplace to further define the zones.

I love the pastoral art over the mantel. Speaking of which, what about painting the fireplace surround and mantel the color of the wainscoting? Great focal point with the art.

• Joanne
    Original Author
    10 months ago

We are currently using the sofa and one armchair to watch tv, so moving the chairs closer to the FP won’t work. Also, I’m not sure if the room is big enough to accommodate two separate seating areas. You can see where the armchair is, and the side table next to the sofa. I may try the floating sofa again and put some pillows behind it for the dog to fall onto, lol. I really should make some small furniture templates and print the floor plan so I can play with the arrangement.

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago

Can you still see the TV if the armchairs are closer to the FP? Add a round rug and pouf for them. This render is a concept...I did not measure the pieces.

• Joanne
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks for taking the time to look at the layout. I’ll try moving some things around and see how it works. I think the angle from the two chairs will make it difficult to see the TV easily?

• Joanne
    Original Author
    10 months ago

This is the current arrangment. Scale might not be perfect but it’s pretty close. Small drop-front desk in the lower left corner near the doorway, and a split AC unit on the wall to the left of the FP next to the other doorway. It allows for a relatively good traffic path from the foyer (left) and the dining room (top). 9x12 rug under the whole thing has all of the seating pieces on it except for the sofa, which is about half on it.

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago

If you decide to replace the chairs, consider swivel chairs. So perfect. I have mine near the slider so I can face outdoors, the TV, fireplace, or anywhere in the room. And I have a very lightweight pouf that I can position anywhere for my feet. Gotta think of these things lol!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    10 months ago

When you take pictures, turn on all the lights and raise the blinds. The lack of light gives everything a hint of gray.

Joanne thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • tracefloyd
    10 months ago

Seating arrangements. Create design focal ;poiints.

The secretary desk under the window to the right of fireplace, with a small chair even if you never write at the desk. Period touch. Homey, Detail. Draw the eye.

One armchair in the corner, with its own rug , reading lamp, and ottoman. Inviting you to sit down, warm your feet by the fire...draws the eye to the scene.

A comfy sofa in a corner with a coffee table and side chair to watch TV.

• Joanne
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I like your arrangement. The two armchairs will be reupholstered in a golden yellow print, and they are already on swivel rocker bases. There is also an ottoman that is getting redone in the same fabric. I can try moving things around IRL to see how they work. The only thing I’m not sure about is getting lighting and side tables next to the sofa. I do have a couple of floor lamps that I can use and skip side tables. The coffee table is convenient enough for putting down a drink but I need reading light for the sofa.

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago

Squeeze skinny drop-leaf on the wall to the right as you enter, with the sofa butted up against it and against the window wall. A table lamp and bright framed art on top. Simple.

The Secretary would block a portion of window , too tall, put it between the windows with a chair and a petite table lamp. Hang the same prints above it..the glass will reflect light into that corner...dramatic, adds height.

The tall plant in the window to the right of the Sec. Dramatic...adds depth and defines zones.

A floor lamp can go in the corner to the left of the fireplace for the easy chair. Mirror on the wall there. Round hook rug under the chair..period touch.

A side table for each side chair.

• Joanne
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Wow, thanks, so many good ideas. This should keep me busy, lol.

• Joanne
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I moved some things around. Ignore the tea by the plant and the art which is all over the place. Also ignore the throw-draped furniture, I have dogs. I didn’t move the tv right now as it is mounted on the wall. I think the two chairs facing opposite directions looks a bit awkward?

I could possible move the armchair nearer to the other and put the small slipper chair near the FP. We use it to pull up to the group when we need seating for six. The new sofa will be a longer 3 cushion, which should seat 3 more comfortably.

The 2 inch white wood blinds by the fireplace are new, but the two larger windows have old ones that are off white. Not really obvious if you don’t look closely. I was thinking of changing them all for bamboo blinds for a lighter look. We need them by the FP to filter the sun out in summer, and the others face the street, not so much for privacy but to help stop the dogs from barking at everything that goes by. they’ll love this sofa location, LOL.

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago

So glad...still thinking...Place a table in the center of the space to the right of the TV and hang set of vertically placed framed art on the wall above it. That would be a nice balance in the room.

Is the blue in your rug and fabric more teal or more blue? Pick up those colors.

Briing something modern into the room. The chair for the desk for example. Or modern art.

The round rug should be modern but complement the Persian.

I just saw your new pics and will comment. Same wavelength this morning!

• Joanne
    Original Author
    10 months ago

The rug is minty?-green, teal-ish blue, gold, burgundy, dark brown and dusty rose. I’ve never like it, for more than 15 years, but it’s good quality and doesn’t look horrible with the new furniture. I’ll probably replace it once the dust settles and move it to one of the bedrooms. I have read more than once that all greens go together?

I’ve been shopping for a modern art piece or two to update it a bit, or I may paint something myself, I paint in watercolors.

Here is a design board for the new things and old rug.

The pink lamp is something I saw online, a bit expensive, but it relates to the floral sofa (on order) cushions, and the rose in the rug. I don’t know if it really matters but the yellow in the drapes is not quite the same temperature as the yellow geometric chair and ottoman (currently in the family room) fabric (expected this week). I have the drapes but can return them. The chair fabric should be in the end of this week and I can call the upholsterer to come get them.

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago

Floral sofa and green sofa? The yellow in the drapes is different you're right but looks good with the bright floral. My screen does not display degrees of color that well. I like the last idea board though.

The upholstered chair in the corner is supposed to be more or less under the window and at a 45 degree angle. The sofa is supposed to be closer to the corner. Then the secretary can be in the middle of the windows. Then rotate and move the cart to the wall behind the big planter. Then move the plant to the window next to the secretary. Then move the TV down the wall to the corner by the entry in front of the sofa.

Having two or even three or more shades and tones of the same color is something I've seen a lot lately in higher end design. Just as warm and cool grays are mixing now. But it's easy for certain shades appear dull by comparison. Like mixing pattern..it's in the eye, right.

• Joanne
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Just green sofa, floral cushions to go with it. Here’s the actual fabric samples with the drapes. not sure if they’re too bright and orange.

• Joanne
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Here’s another potential choice for drapes. Is it wierd to have two geometrics? I like the color.

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago

I love the two geometrics together. I can't tell how close they are in scale, that green trellis pattern is beautiful. It's like a garden room. The yellow one looks more buff or antique gold than yellow. I kinda like that the trellis is repeated. You know what it is? they are so close that they go together somehow. Hah another example of mixing....more daring now. More expressive.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    10 months ago

The two geometric prints will look fine - the scale of the patterns is different, and the colors are lovely.

Joanne thanked ShadyWillowFarm