SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_653312952

Custom chair cushion to protect caning of Chinese Chippendale faux bam

Holly Robinson
10 months ago

Anyone know if a seat cushion can be made to protect the caning of a chair like this? I’ve heard it can be done by making a cushion with a board on the bottom (inside the cushion cover). The edge of the board rests on the wood frame edge of the chair and supports the person sitting in the chairs rather than the caning taking the weight.

This chair has a rather thin wood frame around the caning. I’m wondering if a seat like I’ve described could be made and would work in this case. Anyone know?

I love the chair, and would like it be fully usable rather than just an ornament. I’d like to figure out how to make it functional and protect the caning.

Comments (10)

• jackowskib
    10 months ago

Maybe visit a local upholstery shop near you for cushion ideas. Did you consider having the support added underneath so the pretty caning can be seen?

• Holly Robinson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you! I have inquired at a local upholstery shop about the seat cushion idea. I’ll follow up and ask about your idea of having support added — interesting idea!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    10 months ago

You are overthinking. Cane is incredibly strong unless someone has something sharp in their back pocket. To some extent these will always be delicate chairs, as you note the whole frame is thin, no amount of reinforced cushion will help that.

• Holly Robinson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you! Really appreciate your thoughts! The chairs seem very solid. When I looked on the bottom side of the seat of the chair, I did not see little holes with the hand-tied knots or newer method of securing caning to the frame. It seemed like maybe for this kind of chair, the caning is simply glued to top of the seat. I'm not sure. The frame of the chair seems very solid, though.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    10 months ago

Probably sheet caning held in with a spline... For your idea to work the plywood cushion would have to be as big as the frame, meaning the cushion would extend to the outside of the frame of the chair versus sitting between the arms. This means the total cushion thickness could be no more than the distance from the top of the seat frame to the bottom rung (1 1/2"?)

• Holly Robinson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Yes - that makes sense.

• Helen
    10 months ago

I think you are trying to prevent what is a non-issue.

There were various caned chairs in my home when growing up. They seemed to last a good amount of time without any kind of special care and as I recall periodically they would be recaned.

I don't think this is a major thing to do - and really no different than fabric furniture needing to be reupholstered. I am not an expert on caning but I think furniture is now done with sheets of cane rather than having someone weave the cane.

Many many years ago caning was a skill that was taught to blind people although I suspect that is long past as an occupational vocation. As I recall in the recesses of my childhood brain, my mother would hire someone from the Lighthouse in New York which is an organization for the blind.

• Holly Robinson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you very much for your thoughts, and for the very interesting background story!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    10 months ago

Beautiful chairs and bamboo is highly sought today. An accent chair with awesome interest. Fits in any decor.

• Holly Robinson
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you for your thoughts!