SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
william_burling

kitchen calculations not even close to available illuminaires.

InvivoCommunications
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

I am designing the lighting for a new build kitchen. My calculations suggest that my design is not achievable with available illuminaires.

The kitchen is 287 sq ft with two very open sides

the counter area is 36 sq ft. (i chose 20 fc for light density which indicates i need 35k lumens)

the island is 28 sq ft (I chose 45 fc for light density which suggests i need 13.3k lumens)

the walking area is 212 sq ft (I chose 20 fc for light density which suggests i need 45.5k lumens)

for the counter lighting i chose under cabinet lighting (at 706 lumens per ft for 16 ft of counter space for a total of 11.3k lumens. i also used 6 recessed led cans each offering 1300 lumens for a total of 7800 lumens for a total of 19k lumens (need 35k) THESE RECESSED LED LIGHTS ARE CONNECTED WITH RED DOTTED LINES.

for the island i used a three light pendant, each offering 2450 lumens for a total of 7350 (need 13.3k)

for the walking area i used 9 recessed led cans each offering 2000 lumens for a total of 18k lumens (need 45.5k). THESE CANS ARE THOSE CONNECTED BY DARK BLUE DOTTED LINE

So my question is this....is my calculation procedure amiss or am i missing tricks? what am i doing wrong?

procedure was simply area * desired fc (i used the average of 9 sources) * 10.764

any ideas? Thank you.

Comments (8)