SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_m61

Lower Cabinets Color?

Rachel M
11 months ago

Hey everyone- having a tough time deciding on a paint color for our lower cabinets. The house has a modern organic & rustic feel. The upper cabinets are wood and, for the lowers, we decided to get new doors and paint them. The counter top and backsplash is white with gray accents (don't want to change it due to money). The house is mainly a neutral white with a lot of browns, creams, and black. I would like a more timeless color meaning a color that isn't 'on trend' that i would want to change in a year (so probably not green or brighter blue). I'm not the biggest fan of true grays, there isn't any gray in the house but I'm open for any suggestings! Thank you. I put a image of the living room/ kitchen so you can see the homes 'vibe'. i love the color folkstone by SW- a purpleish brown but im not set on it so im open for any ideas!

Comments (36)

• Rawketgrl
    11 months ago

Adding more dark saturated colors will absorb more light...with the gorgeous wood uppers and the nice wood floor, stainless appliances and a very dark accent wall in other room... I would do the same white as the backsplash for the lowers.

• arcy_gw
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

What are your plans in two years when this half finished look is O.U.T. out? Do that NOW and save yourself a lot of work and $$$$

• Related Discussions

what color to paint kitchen cabinets (pictures)

Q

Comments (48)
    Kismet, I love this kitchen too and it is my inspiration kitchen. I would love the aqua blue if I could keep the Roesmary Sprig. I am really emotionally invested in this color. Do you think I could get away with that? Lyfia, your approach is what seems easiest to me too, white on uppers and lowers with white on panleing and Rosemary sprig on walls. But ... Falling waters, do you think that even if I had a darker floor you'd want the Rosemary Sprig on the bottom? Maybe white on paneling and trim and Rosemary Sprig on top part of walls and on lower cabinets???? BTW, what color is the yellow cream you have in your bedroom?
    ...See More

Your help in choosing MB finishes for claw feet and mirrors and sconce

Q

Comments (3)
    You have a lot of different elements here, yes, they’re all pretty, but I would reconsider the two toned cabinet thing - I think it will be too much. So where is the patterned tile going and the small dark square tile going? I’m a bit confused by everything lol
    ...See More

I desperately need help

Q

Comments (3)
    Try posting them in a comment if you can't get them to stick in your original post.
    ...See More

cabinet color to go with silver glass backsplash & black/grey granite

Q

Comments (6)
    The combination of backsplash and counter strikes me as rather more modern but the bit of cabinet that I can see looks more "country" or rustic. I think I would consider painting the cabinets navy (if that will work with the rest of your house and the amount of light in the kitchen), and get sleeker knobs and pulls. If you decide to go with a white, make sure you paint a large sample to be sure it is the correct white to go with the grays (one with more of a gray or blue undertone, not yellow or pink)
    ...See More
  • EastCoast Designz
    11 months ago

I would paint the lower cabinets the same dark grey/black that the fireplace is. It would look very bold with gold handles

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

Bottoms a different color os a bad trend that I think is dying. But since it looks like you’ve already begun and need to finish the job, go with a darker color on bottom. It will look strangely top heavy if you go light on bottom. I would do black, same as the fireplace. It will loook purposeful rather than just a random trend and you already know the color looks good in your space.

• Stef
    11 months ago

Sorry, multi tone kitchens are not dying.  Do what makes you happy.

• Stef
    11 months ago

I would do repose gray, mindful gray or a "putty" color

• Rachel M
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Think im leaning between black and a brown that is matched as close to the upper cabinets as possible. i know everyone is recommending just getting bottoms that matched but we are first time homebuyers on an older home- so we have a lot other projects going on. for us, it was more resonable to get doors and paint them. so please just help pick a color haha.

• Kate
    11 months ago

Same as fireplace.

• tlynn1960
    11 months ago

https://evolutionofstyleblog.com/how-to-paint-your-kitchen-cabinets-like/

Beth H (pro on Houzz) mentions this blog as a good how-to resource guide and step-by-step if you're DIYing the lower cabinets yourself. I concur with Rawketgrl and think keeping to the current tones is the right direction so I'd color match to the counter/backsplash white instead of adding a third color to the mix in a small space. I definitely wouldn't do a brown paint-that will look very off with the stained wood uppers.

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

I'm so confused. Why are you redoing the bottom cabinets a different tone from the top ones if you want them to match as closely as possible to the uppers? Were they damaged or are you going for an aesthetic of two toned? If they match as close as possible it might just look like a mistake that they are off and not an actual match. Yes, go for dark, but make sure they have a slight difference to them.

• Fori
    11 months ago

I think the charcoal-ish one looks pretty good.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    11 months ago

I disagree about the 2 color kitchen. 8 out of every 10 kitchens we do is 2 colors. It has been around for a very long time - it is just that the position of the 2nd color has changed. Sometimes it is the island or just a wall of tall pieces or the bases different from the uppers.

For your kitchen I would do a color like the fireplace wall - what a great mix with the wood cabinets! Make sure to add some extra lighting for some more drama.

Good luck!

Rachel M thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Shasta
    11 months ago

I would paint the lowers in the same color family as the fireplace but 1-2 shades lighter. Stick with chrome/polished nickel pulls. Bringing in another metal in a small space wouldn’t work IMO.

Rachel M thanked Shasta
  • Sheila Kelly
    11 months ago

I agree with a charcoal color that compliments the fireplace.  You definitely want to go darker on the bottom. 

On a side note, I love the color of the upper cabinets.  Do you know what color stain that is?

Rachel M thanked Sheila Kelly
  • Jennifer Svensson
    11 months ago

Charcoal looks great! I would not paint them brown to match the uppers. If you want to match, get the same doors up and down. Best of luck!

Rachel M thanked Jennifer Svensson
  • lina_loomis
    11 months ago

You need to go darker in bottom. Navy would look sharp.

Rachel M thanked lina_loomis
  • Rachel M
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Thank you for your comment!! and its 'Spring Hill Hickory' from Cabinets to Go!!! @Sheila Kelly

• arcy_gw
    10 months ago

Most people enter a kitchen renovation once in their ownership of said kitchen. Because a SMALL set of people with more discretionary money have veered into two tone kitchens doesn't mean it's a good choice for most. Deb how much does the average kitchen you do cost and how old is the kitchen? It's a risky choice that will not hold it's value for the average homeowner.

• Stef
    10 months ago

The most important person to please is yourself

• Stef
    10 months ago

There are thousands of ideas on houzz. What are YOU drawn to?

• Stef
    10 months ago

Ohhh just looked at Folkstone. A very pretty color.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    10 months ago

@arcy_gw

Typical kitchen - all in ( except appliances ) is usually 45-65 K in my area. A lot of the homes are raised ranches or capes. Most people are opening walls up.

Not everyone likes 2 color, but we put in a display about 7 years ago ( small vignette ) that's u shaped with the top painted and the lower in qtr sawn oak. Been popular ever since.

Just like everything else - the pendulum will swing and it might not be as popular but folks will still buy it.

It's just like a white kitchen. I haven't sold one of them in a really long time unless it's mixed with something else.

I leave it up to the client to decide what they really like the best.

Rachel M thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Stef
    10 months ago

Debbi W. Thank you.  It depends on what appeals to you. BTW  I did my 3 tone kitchen  without "discretionary spending" but a lot of research to get an affordable kitchen on MY dreams. Not what others think I should do based on trends

• Stef
    10 months ago

Rach i would love to hear what you are leaning towards

• kazzh
    10 months ago

It is so hard to get a sense of how a colour will work as a block, so suggest getting so large - like full height of cabinet and wide as you can and paint with your tester pots. Then put in place against the stove so it gives a better sense of how a block of colour in a cabinet door will look. Small paint dabbles her and there sometimes don’t convey what a large block of colour does in a room.

Rachel M thanked kazzh
  • kazzh
    10 months ago

If that doesn’t make sense…. Suggesting large size card or paper!

Rachel M thanked kazzh
  • beadsnsew
    10 months ago

Your 2 tone cabinets will be great, agree with darker on the bottom to anchor the cabs & coordinate with FP.

More comments on 2 tone: they are "mostly" discouraged on houzz now, but will share my experience recently helping a friend refresh a condo they inherited & wanted to sell. I researched similar properties for sale in the area - townhomes/condos built late 70's early 80's. Nearly all had original oak builder grade cabinets with laminate counters, no tile backsplashes, in a few cabinets had been painted white. I toured one in the same development that removed a wall, upgraded to an all white shaker open concept kitchen, SS appliances, quartz counters, beautiful tile backsplashes (including bathrooms)...magazine worthy...asking $599K, months later price has dropped twice...still later it's unsold.

We opted to remove kitchen wallpaper, painted the worn finish of the cabs that were still perfectly functional (white uppers, mediterranean blue lowers), added quartz remnant countertop, tiled the backsplash with 15 cent white subway, new single bowl SS sink and faucet, new track lighting, kept existing white appliances & saltilo tile floor (spent $2.5K). Listed for $419K (100 sq ft less than updated condo). 2 days after the first couple toured, they offered over asking and it's now sold. Another friend who was overseeing the property happened to meet the parents of the couple who purchased it...they admitted they all loved the 2 tone kitchen...it was fresh and modern compared to anything else they'd looked at, a space they could use and enjoy for years before considering replacement.

My point: a refreshed 2 tone kitchen sold the condo, when there were plenty of options with one color kitchens...either stained or white.

Rachel M thanked beadsnsew
  • Rachel M
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Definitely agree with having a darker color on the bottom! So leaning towards black/charcoal on the bottom to carry the color from the fireplace!! The fireplace is tricorn black from SW so just in trying to figure out which color from that family. Probably a shade or two lighter so either caviar, black magic, or iron ore. Going to get samples to see how they react in the space! I'll post images once we finish the project. @Stef

• Stef
    10 months ago

Rachel look up Samplize great sized stick on sample colors

• Stef
    10 months ago

How goes it Rachel?

• oliveandwell
    10 months ago

I liked the brown @rachel. I thought the black was too stark compared to the uppers. The brown is in same family as the top so it goes better. Let us know what you end up choosing!

• Rachel M
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Sorry for the late update- so many projects going on around the house! went with black but a shade lighter than the firepace we have in the living room. It is more of a moody kitchen and I love it!! thank you for all the help :) adding in antique brass handles that match the uppers knobs. *ignore the two drawer fronts- havent changed them yet* @stef @oliveandwell

• champcamp
    7 months ago

Thank you so much for updating. I always like seeing the final conclusion to the design dilemma and I especially like seeing real people normal homes instead of filtered professional photos!

• Hannah
    7 months ago

I so agree @champcamp -- always appreciate it when people post the final decision.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    7 months ago

Thanks so much for updating - this will certainly help alot of other folks.

It looks fantastic! Enjoy your new kitchen!!