SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

My even more aggravating banking breach story!

This is long, fair warning!

Yesterday I received a notice in the mail from my credit union (which has my "secondary" accounts, where I keep my emergency fund and parked other funds to earn interest that I can't get from the primary bank) that my checking account was overdrawn after a withdrawal - said withdrawal happened to be the entire amount in the account!

I have only once ever used this account to pay anything, since opening it in 2007 - that was to pay the IRS an unexpected amount last year; I only have transferred funds both from and to my primary bank as the need arose. I've never used the debit card, or written a check on that account (and both are still locked in my desk.) (side note- the unexpected amount was a mistake on the part of the IRS which took hours on the phone and months to correct.)

When I logged into my credit union, I could see that my account had been logged into (or attempts, the account page only says log ins) 3 times a day, on a schedule, since the day after I was last logged in. It must be a computer program. It does show the browser that was used to log in, & it isn't mine. After several days of log ins, it made the withdrawal - actually a transfer to a Venmo account (which I don't have and have never used or sent a payment to a user.) It continued to log in after that, even while I was logged in and looking at my account.

I immediately changed my password and enabled 2 factor identification. If I had known that the credit union now offered that, I would have had it already, as I do with credit cards, the other bank, my doctor's office - everywhere that it is offered. The customer service person also suggested that I change my user name, but she didn't know how - and it appears that I cannot via the online banking site either.

So the mystery log ins have stopped. Unfortunately, this credit union's 24 hour phone customer service says there is nothing that they can do until a branch opens on Tuesday AM - I have to go there in person, fill out a paper form there, request that the money be returned and the overdraft fee rescinded, and close the account. Needless to say, that they can't take any action to protect me or my other accounts over the weekend is beyond aggravating!

I checked on "haveibeenpwned.com" to see if my password had been compromised - that site says not.

The CU says that the thief had to know my account number and their routing number in order to make the transfer. How anyone got that information is beyond me. No one except the credit union knows that I have accounts there. I've run several different scans (different companies) on my computer and none have found malware. I have to wonder if someone breached the information at either the IRS, the CU, or my other bank.

PS I tried to contact Venmo, but since I don't use it and don't have an account, I can't talk to anyone there.

Comments (16)