SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Safari thougts?

jojoco
10 months ago

KSWL's comment about a possible safari in the fall caught my attention. DH and I are going on one in late September. It's about 10 days and includes South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe. We'll be staying in tents at a few private game reserves, taking a boat trip to see hippos and elephants, riding the famous "flying Dutchman" in Capetown, seeing Victoria Falls and a half day bike trip, traisping in a rain forest, and so much more. We've been wanting to do this forever and as my parents are becoming less independent, we figured the time is now.

SueB, I know you have gone on a Safari. Any advice?

And Kswl, our trip is with Abercrombie and Kent--it'd be amazing to be on the same trip as you and yours. (hint, hint.)

Comments (11)

• texanjana
    10 months ago

We are going on a three week one next August. S Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana. We are riding Rovos Rail to Vic Falls as part of it. Our travel agent sent us a very thorough packing list, and I would think A&K would have one as well. They do fantastic trips, so you are in good hands.

You will need a yellow fever vaxx (and certificate) to cross the border into S Africa from those countries (if that is your route). One jab is good for life. We are starting in Johannesburg and ending in the winelands near Capetown.

jojoco thanked texanjana
  • maddielee
    10 months ago

For those lucky enough to be going to Africa, you might enjoy this show. It’s about the renovation of a safari camp in Zambia. Enjoyable show with a not annoying couple. Renovation Wild on HGTV.

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/renovation-wild

jojoco thanked maddielee
  • Sueb20
    10 months ago

Oh, I’m jealous! I want to go again. We went 4 years ago, using a company called Piper and Heath. They were great to deal with. We started at Sabi Sands, then to Okavango delta, to Botswana, and then a few days in Cape Town. It was amazing, every bit. I don’t know if I have any helpful advice since your itinerary is so different, and at a different time of year. Just take a lot of pictures! It can be a stressful trip — it’s just very long, and I remember some confusion at the small airports over there, and when we got home I thought (after about 22 hours of travel) I am never doing that again. But probably 2 years later I changed my mind. I‘m ready to go back.

jojoco thanked Sueb20
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    10 months ago

I went on a Tanzania, Kenya, Mombasa safari with Abercrombie and Kent - 25 years ago!

I think about 12-13 years ago now we took the kids to Capetown and Kwandwe, where we stayed at a wonderful old early 1900s homestead with a staff. I remembered the wonderful pace and being fed like a cruise ship. We would wake at dawn, and go out in the bush with hot water bottles under the blankets. Then after a few hours of wildlife viewing, we'd come back, and the baths would already be drawn. They cooked a huge breakfast while we bathed. Hang out by the pool and watch the giraffe amble by. At dusk, we would go out again. Arrive back with cocktails being served. It makes for a lovely trip! Sometimes they would rustle up a meal out in the bush, complete with chairs, table cloths, etc. One thing we did was a hot air balloon ride so we could pass over the migrating wildebeest. That was a cool was to see the wildlife; you could hover pretty low if you wanted.

I would go back again, there is nothing quite like it. Your itinerary sounds varied and incredible. I've never been to Victoria Falls.

One funny thing I recall about Capetown was the penguin colonies; not expected.

Do you have many long drives? Our A&K tour did. If so, plan for that..One thing I will say, there was no such thing as dress up!

Will you interact with natives? We spent an afternoon with the Masai and it was very cool. Not gimmicky in the least, as those things can be.

jojoco thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Sueb20
    10 months ago

Oh yes, the penguins! I loved them. I think it was called Penguin Beach?

We also went to an ostrich farm near Capetown. I was oddly in love with them.

I almost forgot about the miraculous meals that appeared out in the bush…so cool. Our guide in Sabi Sands would also stop and set up a bar in the back of the jeep when we were out around sunset. Just magical.

The service everywhere we went was just stellar.

Okay, I’m talking to DH today about Safari II. I want to go somewhere with monkeys next time, though.

jojoco thanked Sueb20
  • Sueb20
    10 months ago

Of course now I need to share some pics.

Airport.

Happy hour.

Dinner in the wild.

jojoco thanked Sueb20
  • teeda
    10 months ago

Wow, amazing pictures! My ultimate bucket list trip--thinking I now need to push it up to the top of the list!

jojoco thanked teeda
  • jill302
    10 months ago

Agree with @teeda, need to push this up my list. Everyone posting seems to have been thrilled with this experience.

jojoco thanked jill302
  • Kswl
    10 months ago

Jojoco, we would not be on safari this trip, we will be volunteering at a primary school in Grahamstown. We’d love to extend our stay but have my mother to get back to; she worries if we are gone more than a few weeks at a time. I can’t wait for your trip report and pictures!

jojoco thanked Kswl
  • texanjana
    10 months ago

Jojo, this is from our travel agent: Note the luggage weight restrictions (for small planes that fly you to safari camps). This is at the bottom of my post.

CLOTHING AND DRESS RECOMMENDATIONS

WHAT to PACK

Whilst muted colors are recommended for a safari holiday, there is no need to purchase serious safari gear for your visit to South Africa. It is quite acceptable to wear jeans with a neutral-coloured shirt, with the emphasis on comfort and ease.

Must Haves

· A good wide-brimmed sun hat – for the intense African sun

· A bandana – if going on safari, for the dusty, dry regions

· Comfortable sneakers, tennis shoes, or boat shoes - you do not require serious hiking boots for bush walks

· Sandals – flip-flops for around the camp/lodge, or for on the beach

· Golf shirts or T-shirts

· Long-sleeved cotton shirts - to provide protection from sun, as well as from mosquitos in the summer evenings

· Shorts or skirt - note that short skirts are not practical and not recommended for safaris

· A sport bra - for bumpy game drives

· A micro-fiber zippered jacket and light rain gear - for rainy summer months

· Bathing suit - whilst at all times respecting modesty of local custom

· One better dress, or trousers and shirt -if you plan on dining at some of the finer eateries in Cape Town/Johannesburg

· Warm fleece, anorak, scarf, gloves and beanie - for morning and evening game drives, for the winter months, and for higher altitudes, where it can be cool even in summer

· For Luxury Train Travel - more formal wear for the ladies, jacket and tie for the gents (ONLY for travellers on Rovos Rail or The Blue Train).

A Detailed List of the Most Practical Items to Pack

· Khaki, green, beige, neutral colours

· Shirts with long sleeves

· T-shirts

· Shorts or light skirt (not too short)

· Jeans or safari trousers

· Wind-proof warm jacket

· Light sweater/jumper

· Lightweight water-proof jacket

· Swimwear and sarong

· Comfortable walking shoes

· Socks & underwear

· Personal toiletries

· Sun block, after-sun gel, moisturizer, lip salve/balm

· Strong insect repellent

· Hat and sunglasses

· Binoculars and camera equipment (dustproof bag for camera accessories)

LAUNDRY

Laundry can be done at most hotels, camps and lodges. At many of the camps and lodges, this service is complimentary, but there may be a nominal charge at some establishments. Depending on prevailing local traditions in the country, the staff at certain camps may not or will not wash underwear. It is totally acceptable to wear the same outfit more than once while on safari, there is no need to be a fashionista in the bush!

LUGGAGE SPECIFICATIONS & RESTRICTIONS

Many routings in South Africa are on smaller planes. Often your total luggage weight (INCLUDING carry-on hand luggage), may NOT exceed 20kg/44lbs.

In addition to these strict weight restrictions, and so that it can be packed into the hold of a small plane, your bags must be SOFT-sided with NO wheels or rigid frames.

This requirement varies depending on your flight schedule, please contact your consultant for further details.

jojoco thanked texanjana