SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_449242646

STAR OF THE REPUBLIC - Year 2

Patrick-7a-MD
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

I have three Pioneer roses by Mike Shoup from the Antique Rose Emporitum. The first two are Cole's Settlement and Thomas Affleck that I purchased this year, awaiting planting. The last is STAR OF THE REPUBLIC that is on her second year. Took some pics yesterday and thought I would post them for you.

The rose is growing own root in a west facing bed in USDA Zone 7a (Mid-Atlantic region). So far I really like what I see. The fragrance is wonderful, flower form is on point, and the smooth canes are much appreciated. Stems are long, some blooms nod and others don't. STAR has a reputation on this forum for poor repeat but it bloomed all summer last year. I am looking forward to seeing what it will do next year (you got to give own root roses a minimum of 3-years to mature). Sorry about the holey foliage. Some pest is making a salad of it and I do not spray insecticides. I have not sprayed with fungicides either. The clean, mat-green foliage is due to good, natural resistance to black spot. All the growth you see is from this year because my OCD husband cut it to the nubs in October.

What do you think?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022