SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zana_ridha

white Dove by Benjamin Moore

Zana Ridha
11 months ago

Just finished painting, most of my interior in white Dove but it is looking more yellowish and no hint of grey at all ? Any suggestions should I add an accent wall where the fireplace is to mute the yellow tone. ? I will be updating my furniture prices to more transitional but for now I need to make sure to mute the yellow undertone. Anyone went thought this ? We are so disappointed. After all the work and $$$$ we are not that happy with thr results. Also for the lighting at night we will bump it up to 3000k or 3500 to make it cooler a bit. Any suggestion for light color is also welcome🙏
I’m so disappointed that I have to do all this, thought this color would be more on the white/grey tone then yellowish/creamy tone. 😌

Comments (38)

• Lyn Nielson
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

your floor is contributing to the cast... BM White Dove is a warm white, but I think you see more yellow than you want, I'd say just don't add any more gold tones in the furnishings to cool it off.

I would remove the mirror from over the mantle.

• latifolia
    11 months ago

I think it looks great, especially with your floor and fireplace. Not sure why you want it to look grey. It sometimes takes awhile to adjust to change, so try living with it for awhile.

• Related Discussions

Sherwin Williams / Benjamin Moore coordinating delima

Q

Comments (3)
    Why not find some bedding with the blue like the bathroom and paint the bedroom the same .. Or just do really nice white bedding and fluffy white towels in the bathroom.Make sure that toilet seat is removed before showing.This is woodlawn blue in a bedroom IMO a much more cohesive look for a master suite.
    ...See More

Kitchen Help! Walls, Backsplash, Soffits!

Q

Comments (3)
    I would say no to adding wainscoting or shiplap, because wainscoting will cut your walls in half and make your ceiling height appear lower. And shiplap doesn't seem to go with the style of your cabinetry or countertops. You'd be better served by adding furnishings to the right back wall of the dining area. Maybe a major tall piece, television or bookshelves. Or if there is room, a seating area. Mid-level lighting would also be good in that back corner. Think function that works well for your family first and then find pieces that make life comfortable. A pair of paneled colorful drapes, hung from ceiling to floor, on either side of your Palladian Blue doors might look nice, but is not necessary. I like solar shades for patio doors, because it lets the light in and preserves the view when lowered, but can be fully opened to enter and exit. I think you would want to keep paint colors light, since your countertop and appliances are dark. I don't see any reason why it would not make sense to match the underside of the soffit with your ceiling color, especially since your soffits extend far beyond your cabinetry in some areas. Think of it as a dropped ceiling rather than a soffit. I don't think you should to add additional trim to the soffits, because that will just make it fussy. I would not add backsplash tile since you are keeping the 4" backsplash and your cooktop is in the island. I think your 4" backsplash looks fine and is ideally functional behind the sink, since it is a perfect fit under the window stool.
    ...See More

Would white dove be a good wall color with med cherry cabinets

Q

Comments (2)
    It really depends on the natural light. White Dove is a great white, but with north light it can become a bit dirty looking.
    ...See More

Does white dove by Benjamin Moore pair well with chantilly lace?

Q

Comments (1)
    here is post about whites. I hope it helps. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/245310/what-white-trim-color-to-use-with-bm-white-dove And more
    ...See More
  • Zana Ridha
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you I need all the encouragement as we honestly have been in this project for a month now and last minute we changed our decision from Intense white to white Dove thinking it will be a cleaner brighter look but we are having to change all the lights now to eliminate any yellow warm tones.

• chispa
    11 months ago

A white with grey would not have looked great next to your Travertine(?) floors. If you had done any searches here, you would have seen that White Dove has quite a bit of yellow, so it shouldn't have been a surprise.

Here is my White Dove with Chantilly Lace trim/crown. The darker color is Winds Breath that I was painting over. I have a lot of warm colors in my art and furniture, so White Dove worked best for my house, but it definitely is a light pale yellow-beige.

• chispa
    11 months ago

What color is your trim?

Also did the painters use real BM paint and not a color match with some other brand?

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

I think it looks lovely, but I get it is not what you want. 3000k will make a *HUGE* difference. Our living room has a white with yellow undertones paint that we love and sconces with 2700k and it is so warm and cozy with a most subtle hint of butter. We loved it so much we just redid another area of our home replicating the look with the same paint and sconces. I accidentally ordered 3000k sconces for the new space instead of 2700k (not returnable, very expensive, with built in LED.) Wow does the room look different at night! No more yellow at all. I was disappointed, but it sounds like perhaps a good remedy for your situation.

Just yesterday we had our bathroom door and trim painted White Dove. We specifically chose it because we wanted a warm white with yellow undertones. When you sampled the paint on your walls, how large of a swatch did you sample and in how many different places? It looks quite different on your walls in open spaces where light hits and a bit more grey in the shadows.

• Zana Ridha
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Hi yes we used Benjamin moore Regal Select. As for the trim it’s Ben moore paint with white picket fence color,Dunn Edwards, (it’s more white than simply white but less bright then Chantilly)
    My position is north/ west lighting could that be a reason. ? Also at night it looked more yellowish! That is why we plan to change the lighting from 2700 to probably 3500k

• Zana Ridha
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@chispa I did Google and researched it but it said no yellow undertones! Now I see others have been in the same situation. Somehow I did not see these comments earlier. Anyway it’s not that bad but I had higher expectations. Also it does not help that all my furniture is very traditional.
    Perhaps I should have used Chantilly lace not Sure at this point!

• beeboo22
    11 months ago

I think it looks really nice and any grayer wouldn’t have worked with your fireplace and floors. Give it time!

If it’s any consolation, cool grays are not as trendy as they were and warmer colors are very much back in style. So you’re right on point! :)

• housegal200
    11 months ago

I think it looks lovely and serene. I don't know if you took into account the golden tones of your "givens," mainly the flooring and the fireplace surround. They are casting a golden glow upwards and forward into the space. Plus you have the stunning golden mirror, the golden seat cushion. You have glints of gold in the furnishings you show. (I see a warm brown cabinet in an adjoining space.) That's how color works--objects and incoming light affect and reflect the colors of everything. I see a palm tree out there, which means you live in a sunny place, which hugely affects how colors appear. Even your bright blue pool is throwing off color! I don't think gray would work with the natural lighting you have, height of the ceilings, etc.

Start adding great art work, rugs, runners, and furnishings the grays you like with a hint of gold. This palette has all your colors, which would pull everything together in a dramatic way.

Minerals I Fine Art Giant Canvas Print, Yellow, Gray, 54"X54" · More Info

Weave & Wander Vanhorn Contemporary Watercolor Rug, Gold/Birch, 5'x8' · More Info

• Zana Ridha
    Original Author
    11 months ago

OMG you are all so sweet thank you making me feel better already. The book case in the background will be my next project to stain in charcoal grey or paint it black lacquer finish. Just waiting to find the right person to do it. Yes art work and a rug is very much needed. Thank you for your thoughtful comments and advice.🙏☺️

• cat_ky
    11 months ago

Change your bulbs to led daylight 3500. In your pictures, the paint looks very nice, to me.

• Zana Ridha
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@cat_kay yes that’s the plan… my husband changed it to 5000k and I felt I was in a hospital! Changing it to 3500 and not 3000 I guess would be still warm.

• la_la Girl
    11 months ago

I think it looks terrific - crisp but not sterile. I think you will get used to the change - hang tight!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 months ago

The paint looks great. Once you get the place accessorized it will look even better.

However, you need to find a new location for that mirror that doesn't work above your fireplace. Lovely, but the wrong shape. A vertical mirror will be better suited to the wall.

• Zana Ridha
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you I like that. Will send an update.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    11 months ago

Painting looks good! I rather go with wall art instead the mirror.

• PRO
  • PRO
    11 months ago

About lighting...I would go even higher 3500k.

• Zana Ridha
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I think that would be a nice change to go with art since I had a mirror up there for so long. Thank you. As for the light I went and got the 3000and 3500. And the interesting part is a little made a huge difference. Wow I’m learning a lot from this.

• PRO
    11 months ago

You might want to use this mirror in entrance above the console.

• susanrhill34
    11 months ago

@Zana Ridha I have the same exposure on the front of my house. same concerns about avoiding yellow and also used Ben Moore paint. for the front of my house I used BM White 151. no yellow undertones..also use daylight bright white lites..makes all the difference in the world. the back of our house gets a lot of sun and just had the kitchen painted BM White Heron. looks good..just a very very soft hint of warmth, but will be putting in LED recessed lighting which I can ramp up to 5K if necessary. I went thru agony selecting the White for the front of the house, so I know your pain. I have not regretted the color one day and have had it up for about 9 years after I could not stand the beigey builder paint. if you end up repainting..give 152 a try. I believe you would like it..nice and bright, no yellow, very very neutral with your exposure. but I will say changing your bulbs does make a considerable difference! daylight or bright white..there are an overwhelming selection of light bulbs out there now! good luck!

• Zana Ridha
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@susanrhill34 Hi Susan honestly I don’t know how I would go through the paint job again, if anything I would just add an accent wall. Or try to add Art work etc.
    I’m removing the mirror adding art work. And if it felt like it is still creamy I may resort to a Matt accent wall.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 months ago

Classically designed spaces like yours don't have 'accent walls'!!!!!!!!!

• susanrhill34
    11 months ago

@Zana Ridha honetly I probably would not either. I have had repaint one or twice over the years and it is painful process:) I know what you mean about the yellow..I was trying to love warmer paints, like white dove, but just couldnt. this past week I had 4 samples home and mostly too yellow as well. but truly get a daylight/natural light bulb and plug one in your lamp and you will be amazed at what the change can do. I believe they go up to 5K so there is a lot of band width beyond the 3K leds.

• elcieg
    11 months ago

I see a palm tree and lots of windows. I think your White Dove looks yellow(warm) because of the natural light. Whites are finicky. My friend had her beautiful condo painted White Dove and she was so disappointed because it looked gray and dirty...North facing windows took the life out of White Dove.

Add more gray into your scheme. Pull in the floor, the trim, the mantel surround with art. This idea:

I bet once you incorporate different tones, the walls will become just a backdrop.

And paint the front interior door B.M. Kendal Charcoal and remove the (I don't know what to call it) panels next to the door. That's wall, not front door.

• Zana Ridha
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@elcieg Love the art work you suggested where did you search to get that please ?

We are almost at a point of repainting to our original choice of Benjamin Moore intense white OC 51. But will try few tricks before we go throguh this again, it’s painful. And looks like a lot of my traditional pieces need to go!

Also not sure if I understood from you what to remove next to the front door ? I like the idea of painting the interiors other then white. My exterior for the door currently is dark coffee stain.

The bookshelf is getting painted/stained in charcoal color so that would help. I’m also repainting this mantle to some charcoal color similar to what I have going in the kitchen.
    Any color suggestion for the mantle ? Or I may try to stain in to keep the hand painted veins to show more like a stone.

• Zana Ridha
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Above book case is in another area. Will try to match the bookshelf to it.

• housegal200
    11 months ago

Zana, you have many comments here suggesting ways to make current wall paint work, yet you're thinking about repainting, getting accent wall (ugh do not try to solve what you see as a problem with an accent wall), buying art willy nilly, repainting brown pieces, getting rid of pieces. This tells us, you need professional advice! Hire a design consultant and ask him/her how to make your current choices work together. Don't go at this piecemeal or you'll have what experts call a "remuddle."

Understand your "givens" -- golden tile floor and fireplace, sunny tropical location. Your "givens" are positive features, not negatives, though they do affect how paint appears on your walls. Work with these positive "givens" instead of trying to force the latest HGTV gray palette onto what you have--beautiful space, flooring, fireplace, tropical light, pool, etc.

• Zana Ridha
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@housegal200 Hi thanks for your message, I did post this message because I want to make sure people with my exposure north west or sunny area think twice about white dove by Benjamin moore. I don’t want others to be surprised with it like we did.
    In any case I did try to look for a color consultant and did hire one online and this color was one of the suggested colors.
    As for the furniture/ Art and how things would work I will be looking for someone who can tie all the pieces for me but first we have to be happy with thr color and second I have to find someone whom I like their style. Also this space is for people to hear you ans make you feel good…that it happens to the best of us. Even designers make mistakes especially with color and light exposure. It can be very tricky (now I know that for sure) when dealing with whites!!

• susanrhill34
    11 months ago

@Zana Ridha check out BM Wrought Iron. It’s very dark gray/charcoal, neutral, but defisnitely not black..leans to the gray side. We have used it on shutters on a late afternoon sun exposure, but it leans more charcoal in Northern exposures. I believe SW Iron Ore is a very popular charcoal, leaning darker, that might be of interest.

• Debbie Klausing
    8 months ago

I think your paint looks like a hint of gray on my screen. I’m thinking of painting my cabinets White Dove and would like the warm hint of yellow to avoid the dingy look. I know it’s all about lighting, exposure and surroundings.
    Your paint looks lovely imo! Are you liking it more perhaps?

• redtea
    last month

Zana RIdha

Was wondering what your friend did that the White Dove looked blue and dingy. I had my main area painted White Dove and exactly my problem. I put all lights on 2700 LED and that helps immensely. However, I am a little embarrassed that I turn on all these lights all the time to keep me from being depressed. When the sun comes up that helps so maybe all summer will be ok. Rain this weekend made the look really dreary. How is it so many think this is perfect color.
    I still have to paint the master bedroom/bath. Wondering if another white is possible that will go with White Dove in the next rooms. The trim in there is white dove also.
    Sherrill

• redtea
    last month

Debbie Klausing
    March 4 2024
    About White Dove for our house. You have probably already chosen paint by the time I saw this. I have upstairs double sink cabinet painted WD and have really loved it. Light comes in from a normal bathroom window from the East. Nice.
    I had painter use White Dove everywhere except our Master bedroom downstairs.
    It looks like a dreary light blue. NW I think. About 2 pm to bedtime it is a pretty soft white. Wish all was like that. I had in my mind to paint SW White Duck that probably had a tinge more yellow in it and I think would not have looked blue. Painter paints only Benjamin Moore so had to make decision on the sphere of moment not to wait another four months for him to come back.
    At any rate it is three weeks later and the Sun is rising higher in the sky and it seems
    like maybe it is going to be lighter during the summer and in winter I’ll have to adjust to blue. Cannot justify a repaint. I do need a color for the bedroom . Any nice color in mind of readers that might look out on the foyer and stairs that will blend nicely.
    Enjoy your home , don’t tell anyone you don’t like it and they will assume you got what you wanted.

• Debbie Klausing
    last month

Redtea thanks for responding! Wish I could say my kitchen is already done! Ha! My cabinet guy had to have surgery etc. so ... on and on - I’m still sitting here with appliances that don’t work, new ones sitting in warehouse- waiting for my cabinet guy to heal up and be able to finish.
    It’s been very frustrating but I think he’s been able to paint the cabinets and they’re Dove White. He needs to do my tear out and install. Glad he didn’t tear out yet before his neck injury! Anyway I hope I’ll be able to enjoy it for many years -since I’m not a spring chicken!😂
    I’m a bit anxious now it’ll all turn out. It sounds like a sitcom. My appliances all died one by one. Really. Can’t make this stuff up.

• redtea
    last month

Redtea
    Debbie , you sound just like my happenings gone wrong. Just as all this painting was finished , it rained really hard. You know I was in our bedroom vacuuming the drapes. Looked up and there was a salad plate size wet spot on ceiling that has yet to be fixed as I figure it will be an entire ceiling to paint as I don’t know what paint was used previously. We had a roofer come fix a “boot” a thingy that goes around pipe out of attic. I hope the squirrel that chewed that broke a tooth. 🐿️. While fixing that our furnace went out. Fixed today under warranty thank goodness.
    I am writing back as you said Dove White and there is one company that has a Dove White and I think you and I are talking about Benjamin Moore White Dove. OC17
    I’m just making sure the painter knows for sure which you want. I really am happy with cabinet that color, but cannot justify a new paint on these rooms after 2/3 weeks unless I could do it myself. Talk about chickens ..I creek myself. Hope you enjoy your painting project.

• Debbie Klausing
    last month

Redtea I sure hope I enjoy all these projects IF they ever get started! My kitchen cabinets have been partially emptied for months with boxes lining my dining room walls. Piles of kitchen stuff in my basement. I need to get rid of half of it. Me with a broken hand and shoulder that has healed (after I tripped on a crack and face planted while hustling down the sidewalk). But now I have a frozen shoulder that aches a lot. At least I’m very mobile, so there’s that. I’m grateful things aren’t worse. But it sure cramped my style big time.
    Yes I meant Ben Moore White Dove. It’s my cabinet guys favorite it seems, and doing research a lot of people like it. I bought samples but it’s hard to know really. He even bought me a piece of cabinet material in White Dove. My counters will be a quartzite-Calacatta extra suede it is called. Definitely a quartzite - Macaubus. And I love the slab but I’m nervous about it. Some say it’s great and some say it’s very thirsty. I’m counting on the fabricators to seal it really well.
    Wow sorry about your leak issue! That’s always a worry. I’ve had nightmares where water is flowing down the stairs😂 Hope that problem gets fixed-always something with houses. Those dang squirrels! We had a flying squirrel in our attic years ago and it was costly to get rid of it.