SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
outernationalist

Layout Help for a More Functional Kitchen: Round 2!

Nicole Futino
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

Hi Houzz community! I posted on here a few months ago (https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6331876/layout-advice-for-a-more-functional-kitchen) to get some help with the layout for our kitchen remodel. The advice from this community was amazing! Since I posted, we took your advice and have been using our existing kitchen, noting our requirements and pain points, and revisiting our plans for the new design to hopefully start the remodel in the next 1-6 months. I'd love another gut check on our new plans and if I'm missing anything!

CURRENT STATE & REQUIREMENTS

The current kitchen is situated next to a sunken living room, has limited upper cabinet space and a fridge smushed against a wall, and a doorway in the middle of the wall to the office. We plan on closing this wall, but we don't want to move the sink. We won't fill the sunken living room and make it level so the kitchen will have a step up into it. The half wall with the column on the right is structural, so the column would need to stay. We'd love more cabinet space and more seating to connect the open plan living room and kitchen.

OPTION 1: MAXIMIZE SEATING

We found a similar house in our neighborhood with our exact same layout that had their kitchen remodeled this way. They add bar seating from the living room and another row near the stove. What I don't like about this is that the stove has no vent, and that the seating near the stove seems dangerous and not that useful when someone is cooking.

Inspiration:

OPTION 2: ANGLED FRIDGE

Another option is to install the fridge at a 45 degree angle in the corner. However, this makes the work triangle a bit small (areas between fridge and stove less than 4'), and the sink landing areas small as well. I'm not sure how tight this would actually feel in practice. I've also read a fridge installed this way wastes space but I think in this case it makes it possible to have bar seating from the living room.

Inspiration:

OPTION 3: FRIDGE NEAR WINDOW

This is the option I'm leaning towards, a fridge at the end of the run on the same wall as the window. I'm concerned about the fridge blocking natural light though, and the landing areas near the sink and fridge being too small. The space between the stove and fridge is also longer than 9', however I'm not sure if it's workable... thoughts?

Inspiration:

TL;DR: Which option works best?

Any advice on how to further optimize the layout?

Comments (16)