SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Clytostoma callistegioides Lavender Trumpet Vine a Beautiful Imposter

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

I purchased Clytostoma callistegioides today, which is a gorgeous tropical vine originating in the region of Brazil. What is tricky here is that they call this plant "Trumpet Vine" but actually it is not "that" Trumpet Vine the infamous Campsis radicans. C radicans is an invasive species that will take ownership of anything you plant it on. Everyone advises to not plant C radicans because of its untamed growth habit. Apparently, Clytostoma is a better-behaved plant, and since it is a completely different genus I wish they would not call it Trumpet Vine. It grows to 20 feet high by 20 feet wide, but it is not as aggressive, and it can be maintained. Can someone who has grown this plant to maturity describe how difficult it is to keep on a huge trellis?

Some other things I like about this plant:

* It can endure some cold, even though it is tropical

* Like many tropical plants, it has shiny leaves that are very beautiful to look at even without the flowers

* In my zone 9b it should keep leaves year-round

* It has a relatively long flowering season

This is the kind of plant I need more of in my garden, to start creating more color on walls and trellises. Can someone recommend other flowering vines that are commonly available and have similar characteristics and bright colors and tropical glow?

When I plant this, how close does it need to be to the trellis on which it will grow? Mine might be offset by 18 inches, so I would have to plant it at a slight angle and then train it up a set of stakes to merge into the trellis. Any problem doing that?

Comments (9)