SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_brighton

Who wishes they didn't use Quartz

Sherry Brighton
11 months ago

I am two years into my remodel and my only regret is using quartz instead of soapstone. I let my husband and designer talk me into the quartz and I just don't love it. I find it cold and everything clunks. Yes, it is easy to clean and no, I don't have any issues with it at all. I just don't love it and hubby refuses to let me tear it out and replace.

Who else regrets quartz?

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    11 months ago

How do you know you would have loved the soapstone?

• cupofkindnessgw
    11 months ago

Please tell us the brand and name and color of your quartz. Marble -like? Concrete look? I'm sorry you are not pleased with your quartz.

• Related Discussions

Who didn't pay the heating bill?...

Q

Comments (18)
    Me too, covering and uncovering, but I've done it so many times now , I'm not about to stop. Have been cutting the dead stuff out of my 2 25 tall mango trees, Surprising amount of small fruit about the size of a peanut inside of outer limbs. Will shoot it a shot of copper and chelate it shortly. Standing on the next to top rung of a 24 ft ladder leaned into the tree with the wind rocking it around is kinda spooky for a ol'fart (72). We had light frost here on housetops and grass on the runway, temp 36. This is south florida in March ! We were 20 degrees lower than norm here. bernie
    ...See More

What Fad did you fall for, and now wish you didn't?

Q

Comments (46)
    I've never had the $ to go with fads or trends, really, but 3.5 years ago when we bought our couches, the store we went to had a million fabric options and not a single one in the color I really wanted for my couches--I wanted a dark emerald and all they had was sage and hunter in the green category; the other 199,998 options were gold, red or brown. So I went with brown--even though my other upholstered (actually slipcovered) seating in that room was already brown. And that is why I am trapped in brown hell today. I understand that with kids and pets and shoddy housekeeping, brown is serviceable. I know that accessorized with things other than dog hair, dropped Crocs and a handful of Connect Four pieces, brown can be elegant and rich looking. But in my house, it's just plain brown. Snooze. I wish I had bucked the trend (what was that color trend that made all the fabrics red and gold? Tuscan?) and held out for the emerald sofas of my dreams....
    ...See More

Whoops, didn't mean to plan THIS much for kitchen reno

Q

Comments (18)
    May flowers, I suppose a budget is about what a person wants it to be. What I can afford and what I want to spend are for me two different things, although that may not be the case for everyone. What I know about the way I personally operate is that if I find something I truly love that's within the realm of reason, I will extend my budget to get it if I know I will regret it later if I don't. By having a very good idea of specifically what we want before we even start this project, I can ensure that the amount of money we save for this will cover the project. The whole point of this exercise to avoid scrambling for money. Our house renovation went over budget because there were unforeseen issues that popped up in our 74-year-old house and our banker had advised us to only borrow 10% more than the bid, which we found, in the end, to be a bit "optimistic" from the beginning. Live and learn, I guess. So for me, a budget actually IS about what things cost, or rather, how much I want to spend on something. And nope, I didn't think this post was at all about money until you brought it up. SAS95 ... good point about the cabinet color being easy with a backsplash in mind. Thanks!
    ...See More

Some of us had a good Christmas, some didn't

Q

Comments (16)
    Oh gosh! I should have peeked in here earlier! Thats the Angel feather ornament Country Bumpkin did for my DD after DSIL passed away a year ago in November. I'd think Hobby Lobby would have those hangers... Your a sweetie Patti to think of this, I KNOW how much my DD loves hers. (CB if your peeking in she still has it out) Here is a pic and I think the poem is a bit easier to read. The flip side of the poem has a pic of Steve and is laminated. If you want there are two more pics I can post. CB put two red roses on to represent DD and Steve and 2 white, one for each of the boys. I was in awe when I saw it in person!
    ...See More
  • chispa
    11 months ago

Most counters are cold and most things will clunk against a hard surface!

I used quartz in 3 bathrooms, 2 half baths, laundry and mudroom. No regrets.

I used quartzite (Taj mahal) in the kitchen and no regrets there either.

The lesson here is to not let anyone talk you into something you didn't love at first sight, specially a designer who doesn't have to live with the end result.

Sherry Brighton thanked chispa
  • Jen K (7b, 8a)
    11 months ago

No regrets on using quartz. It is so much easier to maintain than granite or soapstone.

• Mrs Pete
    11 months ago

I find it cold and everything clunks.

Granite or Marble countertops can be heated. Is this possible with Quartz? If so, could you lift your countertops and install heating? I expect this would be pretty pricey.

Everything "clunks" against the countertop.

The lesson here is to not let anyone talk you into something you didn't love at first sight, specially a designer who doesn't have to live with the end result.

Yeah, you probably can't have everything you want, but you should push for the things you really, really want.

No regrets on using quartz. It is so much easier to maintain than granite or soapstone.

Disagree, especially the "so much" part.

• c G
    11 months ago

bought a house with quartz in the kitchen; remodeled, moving quartz to laundry room and basement utility room.... perfect for that use. Put soapstone in the kitchen and love it BUT

it is soft, it chips and scars, doesn't bother me but many would not like that

put anything one it, hot pots, acid, no problem, it is a great surface and doesnt' feel cold and lifeless like quartz

• theresa21
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I greatly regretted my quartz at first. It was too plain and dull in my eyes. After two years, I love it now. I originally wanted soapstone, but to be honest, I don't think I would have loved the patina as much as I thought I could and I know I wouldn't have enjoyed oiling it, even though I know you don't have to. I think I made a good choice with the quartz I chose because it is so easy to live with and I really like the one that I selected.

• darbuka
    11 months ago

“it is soft, it chips and scars, doesn't bother me but many would not like that”

@c G, that is a matter of the soapstone variety you chose. The key is to test slabs for hardness.

My variety, Belvedere, is very hard. After 7+ years, the only chips I have are around the undermount sink, where a cast iron pan hit the stone. But then, I’ve two friends whose quartz is also chipped around the sink, and the same with another friend who has granite. The only scratches, were also made by a cast iron pan. However, a little scrubbing with an abrasive green Scotch pad, and mineral oil applied afterward…and within a matter of two days, the scratches couldn’t be found. Btw, I used a black Sharpie pen to fill in the chips. No one’s the wiser. They’re not noticeable.

Soapstone never feels cold. And, for some reason, i’ve never noticed any ”clunking” sounds. Perhaps because we don’t slam our plates and glasses onto the counter? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Quartz was never considered for our kitchen. I’ve never cared for its plastic look, nor the dull, flat, lacking in depth of its patterns…the obvious artificiality.

• darbuka
    11 months ago

“Granite or Marble countertops can be heated. Is this possible with Quartz? If so, could you lift your countertops and install heating? I expect this would be pretty pricey.”

@Mrs Pete, quartz is made of 33% plastic resins. Plastic resins melt with heat. As such, lifting the tops and installing heat, would not be advisable.

• M Miller
    11 months ago

It is so much easier to maintain than granite or soapstone.

@Jen K (7b, 8a) - I've never had soapstone, but can speak for granite. I have had granite counters in 3 different homes, i.e. 3 kitchens. I cannot imagine how any counter surface could be easier than they were/have been. Please do not think that all granites are the same (similar to @darbuka's point above that soapstones vary). How many varieties of granite do you imagine that there are? I don't know the answer other than it must be thousands. The few granites that are higher maintenance seemed to have left an impression with you that they are all like that.

I've never sealed my granite counters. I've never had a granite counter chip, stain, or etch. In my two previous homes, when we left the counters looked like the day they were installed, and we didn't do anything more than cleaning them with dish soap. We've spilled wine, salad dressing, coffee, without a care, and with no effect. We've dragged platters across them, had teenagers leave spills over night, all kinds of stuff. I do like Quartz counters too, but like anything reported on here, we have seen issues of Quartz stains, resin blobs, scratches, etc. Quartz is a good choice for a counter, but it is not easier to maintain than granite.

• RoyHobbs
    11 months ago

I just don't love it and hubby refuses to let me tear it out and replace.

Since you say you don't have actual issues with the Quartz, other than you don't like its appearance much, I think it would be wasteful on a couple of levels to tear it out and replace. Obviously, since you've only had it a couple years, it's money wasteful. But also, it's just going to go into landfill. It will be hard to pull it out without damage enough to give to a charity, though if you do decide to go ahead, please explore that possibility.

As to it being cold - do you mean in appearance, or do you mean to the touch? If you mean to the touch, that plus the "clunking" you mentioned is every counter material other than wood as far as I know.

Do you love the decor and furnishings of every room in your home, and each bathroom, and the basement and attic? For any of those, are you going to tear them out and replace them? Even if they are new? It is rare to be completely 100% satisfied with every aspect of a renovation, whether it's the kitchen, other rooms, landscaping, hardscaping, exterior siding or painting. There is always going to be something that we don't love. Does that mean the issue is terrible enough to tear out? On occasion it might be, but mostly we get on with our lives and find other things we'd like to spend money on.

• Shawna
    11 months ago

I don’t regret my Quartz countertops because they are easy to clean, and that is my primary concern. I will say that there are two chips on the edges of mine where we accidentally have banged a plate or pot, but I don’t really care. The chips aren’t noticeable, and the counters remain easy to clean.

• Mrs Pete
    11 months ago

@Mrs Pete, quartz is made of 33% plastic resins. Plastic resins melt with heat. As such, lifting the tops and installing heat, would not be advisable.

Warmed kitchen cabinets don't actually get HOT ... just warm. I don't think they'd be anywhere near hot enough to cause damage.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    11 months ago

You know those heat lamps above the pizza buffets? They will destroy natural stone. Got the pictures somewhere.

• darbuka
    11 months ago

“You know those heat lamps above the pizza buffets? They will destroy natural stone.”

Not soapstone, @Joseph Corlett, LLC. Heat cannot harm soapstone. But then, we’ve had this discussion before…

• Sherry Brighton
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC I was able to convince my husband to get soapstone for the radiator cap and I love it. I love the feel, love the color and just think it is so much more beautiful than the quartz. I used fantasy brown for the caps in the living room and dining room (old home big radiators) and I love them too. I just think I should have gone natural and I just love the soapstone.

• Sherry Brighton
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@cupofkindnessgw I used Cambria. The installation was amazing, the seams barely visible. I will admit since it is so cold it is good for piecrust. I just think it is the clunk and cold I don't like

• RoyHobbs
    11 months ago

“You know those heat lamps above the pizza buffets? They will destroy natural stone.”

Non-sensical. First, that scenario would not be good for engineered stone either. Second, I have never, in several years, seen a post on this Kitchens site of pizza lamps above buffets for hours that are in people’s homes. That is commercial use you are using as an example. You could come up with any number of scenarios of commercial/restaurant use of sinks, ovens, dishwashers, dishes, pots and pans, knives, cutting boards, and so on that would not be applicable nor comparable to home use, nor be an accurate demonstration of suitability of those things in a home kitchen. Third, whatever stone is in your ”pictures” may be a Kashmir White granite or similar that is easily damaged regardless, and is not a representation of the vast majority of granites. Fourth, how would Corian or Quartz do under a pizza lamp for hours with hot plates in direct contact? Why did you only reference natural stone in your restaurant buffet pizza light scenario? Why not add ”by the same token, Corian and Quartz would fare worse under pizza warming lights in a buffet”.

• kculbers
    11 months ago

When I had my kitchen renovated a few years ago, I carefully researched each product: cabinetry, hardware, countertops, faucets, lighting, and appliances. I took lots of samples home of cabinet doors, hardware and countertops too. My husbsand and I were the general contractors of our renovations. We had carefully chosen an experienced kitchen designer and a wonderful carpenter who were great listeners and communicators. Our kitchen came out beautiful and we are still pleased with the look and function of it. We chose Silestone quartz countertops, color: charcoal soapstone for our kitchen. We love quartz countertops and chose them for all our renovated bathrooms too.

• Sherry Brighton
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@RoyHobbs I disagree with your thought process. I need my home to be my place of serenity and if something has to go it does.

I agree to some it may sound petulant. I just really have trouble NOT thinking about how much I don't like the counters every time I am in there.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    11 months ago

This debate comes up so often here. What surface is "better"? And it really depends on so many factors. Color, pattern, durability, maintenance, cost, finish, size, availability, and compatibility with other finishes. Some think you should only use natural stone, but why does that matter if someone else likes the look of quartz better? Some people want to put hot pans on the countertops, others do not care. Some like warm countertops and other like them cold for baking. Some are willing to invest tens of thousands on their countertops and some are on a tight budget. ALL countertops are a good choice for someone....quartz, marble, quartzite, soapstone, granite, stainless steel, Corian, concrete, laminate, porcelain, sintered, glass, etc. As long as that someone understands the properties of the top they choose, then there is no need to belittle them for their choice, as often happens here.

• snappity
    11 months ago

@Sherry Brighton Your post about radiators made me look back, and you were one who really encouraged me to go for my soapstone (and Vermont Soapstone Co in particular) and I am SO glad I did, so I have no experience with quartz to be disappointed! So, you know where I would land on the debate…. :) (ETA link to my review and pics: https://www.houzz.com/viewReview/1909542/Vermont-Soapstone-Co-review )

Sherry Brighton thanked snappity
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    11 months ago

"Not soapstone, @Joseph Corlett, LLC. Heat cannot harm soapstone. But then, we’ve had this discussion before…"

Thanks for pointing out my lack of use of the qualifier "most" which shoud have been placed between "destroy" and "natural". I suppose some of the lighter colored granites may fair better under hear lamps, but I don't have any evidence either way.

• M Miller
    11 months ago

"hubby refuses to let me tear it out and replace"

"I need my home to be my place of serenity"

I am not trying to give you a hard time - believe me, I understand how it can be hard to compromise within family. But those two sentences I copied above seem at odds. If your husband is as adamant as you say, will your be home be serene if you go ahead with tearing it out? We don't know, and this forum is about kitchens not about relationships. Only you know if when you tear out the counter your home will be serene, or will it be an irritant for him going forward and maybe the counter isn't worth that.

• Sherry Brighton
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@snappity I am so glad it worked out for you. The counters are gorgeous.

• webuser_ 786635126
    11 months ago

I really like soapstone. However, I opted not to choose it for my new kitchen. The reason is that I am in my 50s and am lately finding it harder to see against the dark surface. My friend has a dark granite kitchen counter that looks similar to soapstone, and I realized this issue at her house. She also regrets choosing the dark counter for this same reason - and my eyesight is better than hers! She does have undercabinet lighting, but still there is a contrast issue with the dark counter. Therefore, I would recommend soapstone - or any dark counter - for people who are younger than 50.

• MizLizzie
    11 months ago

Switched from granite to quartz and will never go back. Quartz is not for everyonem but it is defintely for me.

• darbuka
    11 months ago

“Therefore, I would recommend soapstone - or any dark counter - for people who are younger than 50.”

I don’t know that you can make a blanket statement like that. I’m 71yo, have had my soapstone counters for 7 1/2 years, and have never had a problem seeing against the dark surface. Neither has my husband, who is 3 years older.

Our kitchen gets plenty of natural daylight. For evening use, we have three layers of lighting…recessed, two semi-flush pendants, and under cabinet. Perhaps your friend’s kitchen is underlit? Just a thought.

• Leslie Smith
    11 months ago

Darbuka: I'm sure no offense was intended toward anyone over 50 with good eyesight who isn’t in the middle of that bell curve.

• darbuka
    11 months ago

@Leslie Smith, I see nothing in my post that indicates I was offended. I wasn’t.

But, when someone states that anyone over 50 not consider soapstone, or any dark counter, because it will be difficult to see contrast with a dark counter, that blanket statement is doing a disservice to the many, many older folks who might desire dark counters, and now might be dissuaded by that statement. In all liklyhood, they will not have a problem. None of my senior citizen friends with dark counters…2 with soapstone, three with honed black granites…have an issue seeing contrast against their counters.

• chinacatpeekin
    11 months ago

I’m 72; no problem whatsoever seeing anything on my soapstone countertops. I love my soapstone; it is beautiful, extremely easy to care for, and feels wonderful to the touch. Choosing soapstone countertops for my home was an excellent decision for me. I also have marble, and I adore it, but it’s not maintenance free like the soapstone.

• cpartist
    11 months ago

But also, it's just going to go into landfill. It will be hard to pull it out without damage enough to give to a charity, though if you do decide to go ahead, please explore that possibility.

Actually they can be donated to Habitat for Humanity.

Sherry Brighton thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    11 months ago

I really like soapstone. However, I opted not to choose it for my new kitchen. The reason is that I am in my 50s and am lately finding it harder to see against the dark surface.

Sounds like cataract surgery is in your future. Just had mine done and the difference is amazing.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 months ago

I don't have a dark kitchen counter so it isn't something I need to be concerned with, but I do think mentioning contrast issues is worth mentioning in case it gives someone pause to consider all aspects of their material choice. OF COURSE it varies by person. Posters above shared different opinions on difficulty seeing against a dark counter. Neither is right or wrong, it is their experience. It is all worth sharing. Frankly, I'm in my mid-50s and having trouble with my vision already and appreciate people mentioning concerns like this that others can be quick to discount -- they are not trivial concerns, when you can't see well those concerns become major issues.

• RoyHobbs
    11 months ago

@cpartist, you copied and pasted my sentence which literally says "It will be hard to pull it out without damage enough to give to a charity, though if you do decide to go ahead, please explore that possibility." Then you said "Actually they can be donated to Habitat for Humanity." I just said the OP should explore the possibility of giving the counters to charity. However, pulling the counters out can crack or damage them beyond the point that they can be used in a charity donation.

My local Habitat for Humanity does not accept countertop donations. Many of them do not. There is also the transport of the counters - charities may or may not want to spend the time, labor and gas to come to the home to pick up counters that were customized to a kitchen and potentially damaged, so the homeowner may have to arrange transport. Alternatively, there is Craig's List, also not easy due to the transport issues, and the additional expense of re-fabricating to fit into a different kitchen. So, re-use may not be possible.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!