SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Will any shrubs grow under maples??

diggerdee zone 6 CT
11 months ago

My daughter bought a house down the street two years ago. The house, like many in the area, had many trees and was admittedly overgrown with "weed" shrubs. The contractor who flipped it took down many trees and took out all the shrubs (I feel sorry for the neighbor lol - she is suddenly naked and exposed lol).

Anyway, now my daughter wants some privacy from the neighbor behind her. It's a very long boundary. I've started a shrub border for her, but now I've reached the two maples along the boundary (and of course directly behind her house!). I'm trying to find something that will grow under maples - I only have oaks so I have little experience with maples.

I'm looking for either/both evergreen and deciduous, about 6-7 feet high but probably no taller than 10 feet. We don't want the fortress look. The trees have been limbed up quite high so the area is actually fairly sunny, with afternoon and late evening sun. Dry, root-filled, rocky soil.

I did have a client when I had a gardening business who had a very large healthy azalea (at least 6 feet tall and wide) that was at the base of a maple. But I've just read that azaleas and rhodies don't do well under maples. I'm considering mountain laurel but not really a fan of them (but I've seen them growing out of crevices in the side of a rock cliff so thinking they might work lol). Wish I knew what those weedy shrubs were....

Suggestions?

Thanks!

:)

Dee

P.S. We are in a semi-rural area so deer are always present but not necessarily a major consistent problem, but something to keep in mind I suppose

Comments (20)