SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gretchenpetersen

Distant drainfields...why is this a good idea?

G W
11 months ago

Long story, but I am curious....

Ran across a private road not far from us. Road about a half mile long. Eight or nine homes, developed 25 years ago or so. Lots range from 3.5 to 10 acres. Some fairly wooded, others not. All well and septic homes. The lots are a bizarre shape- rather than the road being an easement, each lot has an extremely skinny tail leading down the private road to a field near where the private road meets the main road. There, each lot possesses a small bit of the field- about 40 ft by 200 ft. Why? Because all the drainfields are down there.

Why is this a good idea? There are pros I can see- no need to see if every lot percs, no need to clear more space on the wooded sites. But... if one neighbor doesn't treat their system right, and their field fails...isn't everyone's system going to be impacted? At least it might be a bit of a mystery as to exactly whose system has failed. And all those pipes coming down so far...

What makes it worse is that there is no HOA or road maintenance agreement. I'm not a fan of the type of HOA that will tell you what type of plants you can have in your garden or what type of Christmas lights are okay, but relying on neighbors to maintain their septic system with no governing body or funds saved for repairs seems like a bad idea.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? What am I missing?

Comments (3)