SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
intwilightshadow

Old red hybrid tea rose ID?

intwilight z6a KS
10 months ago

Flowers: hopefully photos are doing it justice. Blooms tend to blue as they age, especially in the summer. (adding more in comments shortly)

Scent: strong damask rose. I can usually smell this rose as soon as I open the door (humid here).

Foliage & thorns: new growth is so red, it is attractive on its own. Oldest leaves become dark green with a little shine but not a high gloss, I would not describe as leathery. New thorns stay red or pink longer than the leaves.

Size: Any new canes become strong quickly. They died back further this winter than the one before. Last year it was nearly 6 feet tall and currently about 4 feet. There is another HT that is similar but much less hardy, it died entirely back to the ground this winter.

Pests & disease: just a couple leaves have black spot in a very wet autumn, sawflies barely touch it (Peace is nearby and they damage it badly, might be tastier). I haven’t seen any mildew.

Rose was planted by my predecessor of this house, possibly as long ago as the early 1960s. I rather want this one to be a Chrysler Imperial as he was an auto mechanic. When his daughter visited last summer, I asked if she knew if he had Mr Lincoln or CI. She was fairly certain he had both, but was not sure of location. Not all of his roses survived him either.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company