SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazzlover1

To paint or not to paint MCM

Jazz Lover
11 months ago

We are in the process of updating my mothers house built in 1966. (Actual pics + inspiration pics attached)While updating the interior, and plans on sprucing up the outside we contemplated painting the brick and updating the color. A new roof is down the road this year as well many other things. Any suggestions? Was thinking a creamy white on the brick and a med/dark green called Anonymous by Sherwin Williams for the all the wood areas. Thoughts?

Comments (62)

• nelliebean
    11 months ago

A property manager told me to not buy a condo in a building where the brick had been painted. The brick loses it's ability to breathe and can start to crumble. Might just be an issue in colder climates? Although the white looks nice, I'd try to work with the brick as is first.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I love MCM and I think painted brick instantly devalues a home . That brick was original to the house and if MCM is the look you are after do not touch that brick Instead of looking at homes that are not your homes style look at brick MCM homes that embraced that wonderful era. IMO landscaping is what you need and lots of it before even thinking of painting the brick. Yhe screen door is not appropraite to the house and really check out this style of home before doing something you will regret . I love this pic for inspiration for landscaping and also for front door and garage door style. I think a nice Phantom screen is the best choce for a screen door .Take a way all that overgrown landscaping so you can see the real house then take more pics of the whole house from further back.

• Related Discussions

MCM paint color for front door

Q

Comments (5)
    Teal is a very beautiful 50s color, and it's also very current. I am a native Texan, and I am here to tell you that orange looks very very hot in the summer LOL. Teal would lower the temperature a bit.
    ...See More

Rug & door paint suggestions MCM

Q

Comments (11)
    That space would look so much better with a 54" round table with those chairs. Not sure why you placed a bookcase in the foyer. There must be a better location for the Eames lounge chair than under a staircase. I think painting out the trim around the door, no matter what color you paint it, would be a better solution.
    ...See More

Help! Exterior Paint color for MCM

Q

Comments (0)
    I cannot decide on a pain color! We originally decided on a light grey on the entire exterior. The brick has been painted essential grey by sherwin williams. Im finding that it has a blue undertone. (first picture)Or is that just me? Could we just do all white with the white trim? Maybe add a pop of color with the door?
    ...See More

MCM Ranch paint choices

Q

Comments (17)
    I love MCM houses I have one built in 1956 hunted high and low for one. Those whatever they are on the windows on the right need to go the planter on the left is very MCM and I would just plant lower growing stuff there . The white needs to be a much darker color for sure but the big thing is the landscaping . If you google MCM landscaping you will find tons of inspiration , BTW those homes were so well built you never get that in a new build .If possibel those window grids need to go and really cool MCM front door would be nice.
    ...See More
  • Debbie Downer
    11 months ago

Before writing off an entire color of the spectrum ("hate" orangey-red?) consider how colors are really all about context, they never stand alone, there are always in context of other colors. The right color scheme here will do wonders, along with developing a good cohesive landscaping plan(vs the random clumps that are now there). As you can see in pic#2, the drab old gray roof is very prominent and simply changing that to say a variegated cedar or ... something (I dunno, Ill h ave to give it more thought) will unite the 2 parts and give the house more presence from that angle. Front view - stark white in combination with the earthier tones of red brick often looks stodgy and blah. Instead, for better, livelier contrast consider an earthy or grayed green-blue (across from red on color wheel). This can be very light (reading as almost-white) or you can go midtone or dark. Theres a house near where I live which uses dark (almost black) navy for the trim, and a dark yellow mustard door. Looks fantastic, better than you might think! I will try to get a pic...

As others have said, white painted brick is a late 2010s peculiarity that may have looked fresh 10 yrs ago but today... not so much. When dealing with any historic house, whether grand or modest, its always a good idea to look at what the original design intentions were. Not that you have to stay true to that - noo!!! - but just as a starting point. What was the color placement, what was dark, what was light. Colors do go in and out of fashion, but there will always be a version of each of them (ie specific greens, reds, etc.) tgat are current

Finally if your abhorrence of red-orange simply cannot be changed, then do consider a breathable masonry stain or silicate paint (eg romabio is one of several) which retains texture and look of brick and would not have the damaging moisture trapping properties of regular house paint. Its advised to live in a house for a year before making permanent changes, and this would be one. What seemed so problematic at first often doesnt after awhile - and vice versa.

• aziline
    11 months ago

Our first house, built in the 50s, was a salmon color brick. I hated it when we first moved in and was set on painting it. Luckily that project was on the bottom of a very long To Do list and by the time we would have done it I loved the brick.

I love the red of your house set against the green of the plants. Beautiful contrast.

• tozmo1
    11 months ago

RE: your question about the garden. We had a similar remuddle done to a MCM we owned in California. We never had the funds to bring it back before we had to move but it always bugged me. If you do have the budget to do it, check out this designer's work https://www.houzz.com/pro/siffordgd/jay-sifford-garden-design

I love his stuff. I don't know where you are so if you're not in his area, he may be able to advise remotely.

• ptreckel
    11 months ago

When it comes time to replace the roof, I would explore the option of opening it back up again and restoring the open section! How fun! In the meanwhile…I would explore having long mock skylights built with interior lighting fronted by frosted glass and mount them on the ceiling there. As if the open rafters of that portion of your roof were still open. Paint the frames the color of the current ceiling. That way, you could have “daylight” in that area. Just a thought….

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you all for the input. Maybe the orangy red will grow on me and I honestly do believe that there is something to be said for keeping it as it was originally intended so will work with what we have. I’d love suggestions on exterior paint and trim color. I’m probably not the one to go for the navy trim and yellow door(show me a pic and change my mind) I tend to be more toned down but do love a greenish gray and a beautiful off white again not sure w the brick. We will work on the yard this weekend and start to open it up to actually see the house. The old “open roof” in the courtyard always dumped water on the vegetation and never drained well so I presume that’s why the sealed it up and poured concrete. Hubs isn’t in favor of creating a new old former problem(I said French drains and he still isn’t on board) so the idea creating a beautiful courtyard with rug and mid century modern outdoor furniture really appeals to me. We are in a very strong hurricane zone so when we do the roof, it has to have very hardy shingles. Would love to see some mock ups of suggested paint colors. I LUV Anonymous by SW but would that make the courtyard really drab. And if that screen door isn’t within the time period we would love to yank it off. Thanks again you excellent experts and you have me really re-thinking my “hatred” lol of orangy red brick. Maybe it’s not so bad afterall…one day anyway! Much appreciated!

• beesneeds
    11 months ago

Keep in mind that brick is almost zero maintenance. Once you paint it, it can never be restored or returned to it's original state, paint does not come out of brick like it can come off wood. Once you paint it, it will always require maintenance to keep the painting up, just like painted siding.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    11 months ago

I love the brick and am also tired of white painted brick, it’s the flipper special look in my market. Keep in mind too that red and green are opposite each other on the color wheel so the current body color makes the brick more red. I would go dark with everything, sw black fox on everything painted and the brick will look like an intentional pop.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    11 months ago

Just like your inspo pics you need landscape. Id also consider removing the brick that blocks the view of the front door, maybe exchange the board and batten for some horizontal planks.

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Ok we have decided to go ahead and put a new roof on, fixing that power pole attached(hopefully a stand alone pole on the ground) We like colors Naval by SW for the doors and Alabaster for the board and batten. Should the blue go above the windows or the Alabaster. And trim color, which one? Also, what roof color do you experts recommend? I think black will be so bold since the roof is so apparent especially from the one side. Would weathered wood be good? Thanks again! Getting so excited to see the changes!

• tdemonti
    11 months ago

I didn’t read all of the comments but consider this - natural brick was ”a thing” during the mid-century.

• kazzh
    11 months ago

Glad you have decided to leave the painted brick thought and decided to do the other elements first. Once the structure is revealed and the pale green blue scheme repainted, it will be much smarter. If the large expanse of brick still bothers, you might be able to fashion some non fixed feature blocks of color from the final scheme to hang on the front wall to break up the brick - kind of like hanging outdoor canvases.

• Jilly
    11 months ago

Good for you! It’s going to look great.

I meant to post this the other day, I think it’s a great article … there are some houses like yours in it. So glad you aren’t ruining the brick. :)

https://midmod-midwest.com/mid-century-brick/

I‘m not good at choosing roof colors, hopefully others can help.

Please show us how things go!

Also — do some searches for orange brick MCMs for possible inspiration.

You could maybe have a movie set! :D

https://www.locationshub.com/blog/2016/11/8/featured-location-mid-century-modern-ranch-north-carolina

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Kazzh, yes we are starting to get used to the orangy red brick- ha… guess we are even embracing it. Hopefully some fresh colors will help. Jilly, I loved that article and found it as well while searching insper pics. The one pic you show w the charcoal colored roof, I really like too. And I’d LUV that dark blue ( w deep orange door🤩)all over but it’s so dark under the carport after they sealed up that roof opening, that I think we need a lighter brighter color to help(Alabaster maybe) We will definitely keep you all posted with the rehab of it all. If you see any more inspiration pics, send em my way. Thx!!

• cat_ky
    11 months ago

Its an mcm house. There are fewer and fewer of them left, because people buy them, and screw them up, so they are not even recognizable anymore. You have a chance to preserve this house and restore it to like it was originally. Please dont mess that up, so that another mcm house is lost.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    11 months ago

I feel like gray shade is the way to go it feel like it would be the most neutral

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago

I do not like blue with brick but a dark gray could be great

• steph2000
    11 months ago

I'm chiming in with another vote for dark gray or charcoal, which would modernize and ground that brick without requiring paint. I'd consider BM Soot or SW Iron Ore as places to start.

PS - Dark spaces are not necessarily helped out by painting them white. For evidence, look at all of us who tried light colors in our north-facing living rooms. Ironically, those rooms often benefit from more saturated paint colors. You might even want to add a third color, like a citrine, peacock or split pea/koi pond kind of pop for the shady interior space associated with the lean-to aspect of the house.

• housegal200
    11 months ago

Please don't paint the brick since A. You have brick in back and the entire house should be taken into account visually and B. Stone, wood, brick are typical MCM finishes. Spend money on hardscaping in MCM style (do a search for MCM landscaping), fixing the driveway. Have you done a big search for MCM with brick? For MCM inside? You've got a gem there. Hope you don't

remuddle it.

Mid Century Modern Renovation · More Info

• Debbie Downer
    11 months ago

Re " natural brick was ”a thing” during the mid-century. "

Yep, and it was a thing in ancient Rome! People on this forum are always chasing after "timeless" when oftentimes they dont recognize what's right in front of them that already is "timeless."

What Steph said about colors in dim places - its true, white often just looks dingy and bleak in low light situations. Is there any possibility of replacing some of the roof with clear panels or skylights? So that's your front door through the carport? Have you thought of repurposing that entire space somehow for outdoor living ..... course then the car would have nowhere to go.... just thought its kind of a cool space for some other use, if you were up to rethinking the car location. Oh well, its a thought...

Re roof choice - every shingle co has its own version of "weathered wood," generally a nice warm greenish or taupey gray that looks good with red brick. Bring home some samples you can look at against the red brick. If you look closely at the granules making up the colors of the shingle, some of these might suggest a trim color for the house .

F

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

I have an “orange brick” house that got a new roof two days ago. Timberline’s Barkwood worked for me. All the gray shingles just didn’t. My roof is very visible so I was concerned about my choices. Ironically, our front posts are on grey rocks, yet the grey roof colors didn’t seem right.

We had to remove shingles that were “weathered wood” as they were damaged from storms.

Here is the new roof. It does not look this dark in morning southern sun. The photo was taken when the sun was behind the house.

• cat_ky
    11 months ago

I would choose charcoal roof shingles. They will look good with your brick.

• housegal200
    11 months ago

Here's how to spend budget:

--Paint the house dark gray to modernize it.

--Devote a big chunk of budget to skim coat cement driveway and patio leading inside.

--Plan minimialist style MCM landscaping

--Get industrial string lights for inside "porch" area ceiling.

-Check FB Marketplace or Craigslist for outdoor furniture and buy bright MCM palette indoor outdoor seat cushions.

--Add a graphic indoor/outdoor rug for patio in MCM palett

Weave & Wander Chole Rug, Curacao/Multi, Curacao/Multi, 8'x11' · More Info

At nighttime, turn on all your lights from the inside near the window that faces the patio.

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you all for such great advice. I think we will embrace the orange brick(@redryder beautiful pics!) My mom said she wants charcoal as the roof color. She is still in love with the idea of blue doors so recommendations on a deep blue for doors as accent that still rings blue and not midnight would be awesome.(she’s still not hip on other bright colors and we are still looking for a main body color for the wood areas and I see how you guys are correct in an off white not actually brightening a darker area so we are open to suggestions… w gray/blue doors)We did change out many of the light fixtures as she wanted more light in the rooms as she ages. I am keeping the old ones to put back up some day. Love the idea of several of you w the string patio lights and MCM furniture and rug accents. I cleaned up the flower beds for the time being until all the other expenses have calmed down. Thx so much for such great ideas! Our heads are spinning with excitement!

• RedRyder
    11 months ago

A deep charcoal roof is going to work well with your brick. I’m glad you’re embracing the MCM features.

For deep blue (not looking like black) there are a ton of beautiful ones. SW Naval and Moscow Midnight are a good start.

BM Hale Navy is quite lovely and used in a lot of kitchens for a reason - it doesn’t look too black. BM Newburgh Green could be really pretty with your brick. It reads blue with a green undertone.

Get Samplize of the blues in the running and leave them on the front door in sunlight and on cloudy days. That will help you decide.

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Ok, charcoal roof going on next week and painters are asking for colors. We have decided to not go too safe in color choice but not crazy either. Mom likes a gray green for the “body” of the house(keeping the beautiful orange brick-…see, I’m embracing it too) Any suggestions for body color in a muted greenish gray and the two exterior door /accent colors? She loves the idea of a tricorn black or urbane bronze for the doors but what trim color and where does that trim go? If blackish doors do you trim in an offwhite? New windows in soon and will be white due to budget constraints. Would love all your color suggestions! Here’s a pic of an inspiration color but isn’t scared to go darker too! TIA

• tozmo1
    10 months ago

I'm certainly no color expert but here's some ideas from someone who is.

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/sherwin-williams-6-best-dark-greige-taupe-paint-colours/

Once you have some colors identified, try tagging @Lori Sawaya for feedback. She's the TRUE color expert.

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Tozmo1-Thanks! Excellent article from Kylie. She’s actually one of my favs! Great info!

• kl23
    10 months ago

I love the grey with brick idea too. 

Are you going to replace the cracked driveway? If so, check to see if your water lines, supply and waste, run underneath. This is really the only economically sound time to address those...wish we had! And then when you pour new ones, put radiant heating underneath. It's much less expensive to install and run than people think. Winter is so much less stressful without having to shovel. No salt either to riot the lawn. Tiny the concrete a slightly darker grey than usual, and stamp the edges down each side in a brick pattern.

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    10 months ago

KL, thanks for the input. I know everyone loves gray and Mom is OK with it as long as it has a tinge of blue or green. So far she really loves Sherwin-Williams anonymous but trim color is a puzzle at this moment with the white windows. Not sure what to do . And as far as the driveway goes, yes it will eventually get replaced as long as major landscaping, but that will be down the road a bit, and if we could add air conditioning to that driveway, then we would have a major win on our hands. We live in the deep south in hurricane alley approximately four blocks from the beach, so snow is unfortunately not a problem down here. Thank you again for everyone’s input!

• Debbie Downer
    10 months ago

Jazz, why not just repeat your most recent inspiration pic above. The light green gray for inside the carport, the dark almost-black for posts, rafters, and - what is that white strip along the edges of your roof? Fascia board, gutters? Whatever it is, doesnt need to be emphasized - much better to make it dark and blend in with the roof.

Your mom I think is on the right track - green is complementary aka opposite red-orange on the color wheel. Brick red + green gray + dark almost-black + white (windows + possibly door) is all the color you need for that house, any more colors and it will start to look cluttery.

What color exactly is the "charcoal" roof - is it a blue gray or a brown gray?

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks DebbieDowner, yes all sounds good. You think due to the white windows doors should be a close white in color as well? This is the roof that we were sent for a green gray or brownish gray. Your thoughts? And much appreciated!

• kl23
    10 months ago

@Jazz Lover haha… For air conditioning a driveway, the best solution is trees. ☺️ What a huge difference they make. You have some the the left, but if I am interpreting your photos correctly, you have a giant baking sheet to the right with a smattering of useless burnt-cookie bushes. A well thought out plan of "flower beds" with a backbone of trees would give you "air conditioning" and a place to quickly blow the leaves to seriously reduce yard maintenance time.

• kl23
    10 months ago

Love your roof.

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    10 months ago

KL Yes we can’t wait to tackle landscaping. The shrubs are HIDEOUS! The roof is the inspiration color that she likes as well. And trees are a two edged sword. We love them but have to deal with them after hurricanes. Maybe some pretty Bradford pears as they don’t get too big. Anyhoo we will keep you all posted! Thx again!

• ptreckel
    10 months ago

NoNoNo to Bradford Pears!!! They have been banned in several states. They are invasive and can cause “economic and environmental harm.” Many states no longer permit their sale. I strongly advise you against them. Wherever you are, I am sure there are other lovely native species that will remain compact and provide shade and even flowers at certain times of year. NO to Bradford Pears!

• tdemonti
    10 months ago

Dogwood

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Preckel, I had NO IDEA! Wowww always been one of my favorites! We are on the Mississippi HOT gulf coast- lol Dogwood yes tdemonti!! Love them as well. Good to know. Still blown away as there are so many Bradfords down here. Thanks for the heads up!!

• tozmo1
    10 months ago

Bradford pears are very prone to losing large branches in high winds. My mother in Alabama had a beautiful one until a tornado came through and yanked many of the branches off. In my area, NC, it's the ice storms that bring down the branches. Yes, there is much to love about their appearance but they are indeed, ungrateful lovers.

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Now that you say that all of the ones that we have had and loved, have broken apart in time with weather…. They just don’t age well at all.

• kl23
    10 months ago

@Jazz Lover this article may help you choose a group of trees that will provide air conditioning and still not scare you during a storm. Planted in masses, they will both support each other during storms with a massive intertwining root grid and provide better air conditioning when they get older. For many years they may still be the small trees you think you want. One tree is vulnerable. Planting groups or even the entire yard in a grid is not. Planting one kind of tree risks having the investment wiped out by a new insect or disease. Planting a mix reduces that problem to near nothing.

http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/storm-resistant-trees-for-mississippi-landscapes#:~:text=These include boxelder (Acer negundo,but also a nonnative invasive.

Look for free tree give-aways near you.

https://www.mfc.ms.gov/programs/urban-community-forestry/arbor-day-events-tree-giveaways-sales/

If you plant in beds you can plant one to three fairly large purchased trees and intersperse with additional small free seedlings. That strategy makes for a prettier economical start, much easier care, and a more natural appearance over time.

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Wow! This is still a work in progress but got my 80 y/o mom back in, in just 6 weeks. She starts dialysis in 2 weeks so we were under the gun to get it done! All new roof w all new plywood beneath,power now off roof and underground, all new exterior doors, new floors, new paint inside n out.(SW Anonymous and Urbane Bronze doors) All new lighting, ceiling fans, new showers tubs toilets and surrounds w new faucets.New windows coming in 2 weeks. It isn’t perfect but it was the best we could do in the circumstances. She had a homecoming a few nights ago and said this is the most people this house has ever held. 😭She’s so proud and couldn’t hold back the tears. (Nor did we)This all came about without much notice and we are TIRED and spent $$ and worked our own lil fingers to the bone. Thank you all for your input and yard is yet to come. But we’re so proud to give her something she’s worthy of.🙌🏼

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Her old set up had a washer in the kitchen with the dryer outside across the patio in the side shed. New washer dryer stack to make her life easier(and mine when I assist) Power washing the drive and eventually a new driveway. Still have a long way to go but this girl needs a vacation first!!!

• kl23
    10 months ago

Really beautiful!

• ptreckel
    10 months ago

Bravo! Well done!

• juliab51
    10 months ago

I'd say you've earned that vacation; everthing looks wonderful. You have a lucky mom.

• RedRyder
    10 months ago

Well done! You and your crew did a great job for your mom. I hope she loves it.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    10 months ago

looks really great! you did a good job. My only worry is how does she reach the buttons on the top loader?

• Jazz Lover
    Original Author
    10 months ago

RL Relocation- Thanks! She is actually tall at 5’10” and even though uses a walker can reach it. My sister has moved in as well to help with her care so all covered. Thanks again! New windows go in tomorrow and that should be a huge game changer!!