SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blubird_gw

@Joe Corlett…sink dropped help!!

blubird
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

Joe, guru of all things sink and countertop,

My daughter's stainless steel single basin sink dropped away from the granite countertop along the back and partly down the sides. It was installed over 17 years ago apparently with small blocks of stone epoxied to the sink and counter. We currently have it propped up with a piece of wood and a scissor jack under the disposer….and the sink seems to be functioning fine for now.

I posted on our local Facebook page asking who to contact to do this repair, a granite person or plumber. I also mentioned in that post that I would really prefer if a sink harness could be installed. (I follow your many tales of failed sink installs) I received an answer from a well known granite fabricator (he stated that he had done over 300 of these very repairs in a large development near me) who said it could be done by drilling in anchors, not a pleasant job, but doable. I asked him for a price quote, haven’t heard back yet. I'm assuming it would be a biggish job, removing the disposer and sink, and all other water connections and working with epoxy upside down and adding in the PITA factor, who know how much it would be. And I'd still prefer a harness.

Which brings me to my question for you, Joe. Both my husband and I, while older and a little less agile than we used to be, would be quite capable of installing our own sinkits straps. In a previous message thread on gardenweb, you suggested using two straps, and also you mentioned fastening the sinkits brackets to a 20”x2”x 1/2” plywood, and then mounting that strip up under the countertop, and then hang the straps. That could be difficult, as there is only less than 3” between the side walls of the cab and the sink, no easy way to get a drill, even with a right angle drill bit. However, if it's possible to use only 2 screws towards the ends of the 20” piece, would that be sufficient to provide support for the brackets?

And can we get away without removing the disposer and totally dropping the sink. I am thinking maybe just squeezing in silicone caulk and jacking up the sink again to install the harness would do an adequate job…and yes, I’m looking for an easy way out. We have installed and removed sinks, faucets, dishwashers and disposers, but again, we are not as young as we used to be and daughter and husband are useless for those things,

Another question, I see that the sinkits company also has LC brackets, which would bring the screw in points to the side of the cabs in a lower, more reachable place. My concern here is that while the right side of the sink cab adjoins another cabinet, the left side of the sink cab does not have another cabinet next to it….the dishwasher is in the space and I'm concerned that screwing in the LC bracket would interfere with the side of the dw. (There is more space between the cab at the top of the dw if we were able to use the plywood strip technique)

Am I overthinking this? Any other recommendations?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm