SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canaanjs09

Any PIlea depressa experts? Need help with leaf drop.

canaanjs09
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

I have two varieties of Pilea depressa and over this last fall and winter they both lost the majority of their leaves. The first photo is of the current state of the plants and the second photo is the location they were in. The leaves would become pale/yellow and fall off and I think some of the vines might have lost color too. The plants never really looked droopy and I saw no other real signs of sickness besides the paling and leaf drop.

Here’s some info about the conditions:

Light - The plants are in a southwestern corner, right between windows on the south and west walls of the corner. There is overhang on the exterior of the building at ceiling height that extends about two feet out and there is a taller building about 12-15 feet away on the south side. I think the plants get pretty ideal indirect sun all day with some direct sun in the afternoon. I have several tropical plants and ferns in this corner that are all thriving.

Water - I water them only when the soil is dry pretty much all the way to the bottom, which in the winter was consistently every two weeks. This is a technique I use successfully for nearly all my tropical plants.

Fertilizer - I fertilize somewhat liberally by giving them a splash of very diluted (2x the amount of water instructed) organic liquid fertilizer (Espoma brand) every other time I water (once every 2-3 weeks in the spring and summer and once a month in fall and winter).

Additional Info:

- The plants were thriving for probably 6 months before the trouble started.

- The plants were slightly up-potted maybe 3 or 4 months before the trouble started, just from small 4” pots to larger 4" pots.

- I’ve checked the soil and roots and see no obvious problems and I see no signs of pests on the plants.

I’m no expert horticulturist, but I have many plants in my home and actually do botanical design and maintenance professionally, so I consider myself to have a pretty informed green thumb. These are the only two plants in my home that I haven’t been able to make happy. I LOVE Pilea depressa and would like to get more so I’m really hoping I can figure this out.

Any tips would be much appreciated. I’m puzzled!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus