SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1929spanishgw

Good News, Bad News

I'll start with the bad news first. My beloved diesel SUV just turned 100,000 on Saturday and we celebrated our love for each other. On Monday it was towed to the dealer for what turned out to be extensive water damage. Quite possibly totalled. I love her so much.....almost as much as I hate spending tons of money under duress.

But the good news is that the cabinet I so loved finally arrived from Germany today! She's airing out from the cargo hold, but I'm still trying out a little jewelry while she gets aclimated. My furniture acquisition days are now over!

Comments (38)

• Fun2BHere
    last year
    last modified: last year

@1929Spanish, that cabinet is gorgeous and perfectly scaled for your room. I'm sorry to hear about your SUV. How did it suffer water damage? Did I miss a post about it?

1929Spanish-GW thanked Fun2BHere
  • Kswl
    last year

Sorry to hear about your car, but what a consolation prize, Spanish! That cabinet is a beauty, the wood is gorgeous, and looks like it has the same sheen as the table. It’s the perfect size and the perfect piece for your dining room. Congratulations on a job very well done!

1929Spanish-GW thanked Kswl
  • Related Discussions

Good News.....Bad News....Trees in General

Q

Comments (3)
    What species is pumpkin ash? I've had tree work done 3 times in the 10 years I've lived here. I enjoy pruning woody plants, but unfortunately, mature trees are too big and dangerous to prune. If I could, I would snap my fingers and take this branch off here and move that tree over there. I prune them in my mind all the time!! LOL So instead the tree service owned by a friend comes with all his trucks and even though he is very reasonable it has cost me about 4 grand total over the years. My tree guy hasn't lacked for work around here though - he's been flat out since tropical storm Irene went through here last August - followed by that crazy October snow-storm and both resulted in extensive damage and power outages caused by downed limbs and trees.
    ...See More

Good news/Bad news

Q

Comments (2)
    Ptwonline, 'Love your children despite their imperfections.' :) Ed
    ...See More

good news/bad news

Q

Comments (25)
    All in all its been a fun and tiring weekend! So far I worked 7 1/2 hours Friday, 9 hours Sat and 7 hours yesterday...today is supposed to be 7. Its retail so its busy...I have 2 days off in a row tomorrow and Wed and then working similar hours until next Wed. Everyone has been super nice!! I felt at home right away!! I am starting to second guess the caf job now. I am still going to go thru the paperwork to start working and just play it by ear thru the holidays. Thanks for all the support and I will check in when time allows!! Cheers! Susie
    ...See More

Let's play a game! Good News, Bad News

Q

Comments (81)
    The bad news is the helicopter was there for servicing. The engine was not running well. When they started the engine, it coughed and ran rough and while they waited for it to warn up, a couple of men were seen running across the tarmac toward them; One was wearing a gun holster.
    ...See More
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    Original Author
    last year

No post......I've been sulking. Rain....all this freeking rain. Funny/not funny, Mercedes just had a recall for drainage issues in the wheel well, that could impact the fuel pump. We got that repaired on March 9th. Our water was in the front and back floor, where the fuse box and battery sit.

• localeater
    last year

Wow. I cant imagine a more perfect cabinet for that space. Magnifique!

What happened to the car? Did I miss a story?

1929Spanish-GW thanked localeater
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    Original Author
    last year

See above....I've been sulking all week. I'm a solitary sulker.....cuz if you don't say it outloud, you might wake up from the dream! heeheehee

• Jilly
    last year

I’m sorry about your SUV!

The cabinet is fabulous! Perfection. 😍

1929Spanish-GW thanked Jilly
  • rubyclaire
    last year

Perfection!

Sorry about your waterlogged beloved SUV.

1929Spanish-GW thanked rubyclaire
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

That is the perfect compliment to everything in your dining room! So happy for you that it arrived safely. Can totally relate to your feelings about your car - I refer to mine as a wonderful friend whose been with me through good times and bad : )

P.S. How was that beautiful pieced shipped, if you don't mind me asking

1929Spanish-GW thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • daisychain Zn3b
    last year

I totally hear you about the car. I lost my beloved volvo xc70 wagon to what I thought was a fairly minor collision over 5 years ago. I'm still envious when I see one drive by.

But that cab! wow! I don't remember the story of where/how you found it. As kswl says, it goes so well.

1929Spanish-GW thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • dedtired
    last year

Im happy/sad for you. Nice cabinet. All the way from Germany? wow.

1929Spanish-GW thanked dedtired
  • Allison0704
    last year

It's beautiful. Sorry about your SUV.

1929Spanish-GW thanked Allison0704
  • ilikefriday
    last year

The cabinet is beautiful. So is the chandelier.

1929Spanish-GW thanked ilikefriday
  • Ida Claire
    last year

That cabinet wipes away all tears! What a beautiful score... although I really am sorry about your beloved vehicle.

1929Spanish-GW thanked Ida Claire
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    Original Author
    last year

@Arapaho-Rd we got it through Chairish and their European sister company Pamono. The glass was removed and packed in bubblewrap, styrofoam and in a carton. The cabinet was crated in a styrofoam lined crate. If delayed gratification isn't your thing, this isn’t for you. We bought it on November 25th!

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

That cabinet is perfection! It looks like it was matched to your dining table. Sorry about your car though.

1929Spanish-GW thanked OutsidePlaying
  • nini804
    last year

So pretty!!! 😍 Boo about your soggy SUV. Does insurance cover that?

1929Spanish-GW thanked nini804
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    Original Author
    last year

@nini804 yes! Comprehensive coverage and we have a $100 deductible.

• lizbeth-gardener
    last year

Gorgeous cabinet and the scale is perfect-nice jewelry, too. Sorry about your car. I hate having to make car decisions quickly.

1929Spanish-GW thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • jakabedy
    last year

Also, I’m so jealous of those beautiful glass doors! I’m having doors made to replace the long-missing ones for my dining room built-in, and my quest for a glass shop that can grind those little crescent pulls has been a complete failure. Apparently the machine that does that costs $200K and no one in the state has one.

1929Spanish-GW thanked jakabedy
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    last year

Sorry about your suv, it must be a ML 350. We were thinking about getting a diesel ML for towing a small toyhauler (4,500 lbs) years ago, but we bought a diesel Jeep for the job, it was a big mistake, it couldn’t tow. Then we got a Dodge diesel truck 3500, it needed repairs all the time. we ended up trading it in for a Toyota truck. Is your ML very reliable?

Nice cabinet! How did you find it?

1929Spanish-GW thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

The cabinet is stunning. It looks like it was made for your dining room. As for the SUV, bummer.

1929Spanish-GW thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • amykath
    last year

It is so frustrated and sad when a cherised vehicle might have to be laid to rest. I am sorry!

The cabinet is gorgeous! Your entire room is dreamy. I cannot believe it travelled all the way from Germany. I get annoyed when I have go and pick up a large piece of furniture 30 miles away!

Thanks for sharing with us and you can always vent away here!

Amy

1929Spanish-GW thanked amykath
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    Original Author
    last year

@summersrhythm_z6a yes, its a 2013 Bluetec ML. I got it in 2015 with 40k miles and it’s been great. One issue with a headlight that needed replacing ($1,300) - so you have to be prepared for the repair costs, but nothing major- even after the emissions recall. I don’t expect to be able to find another one because they stopped making the Bluetec.

• teeda
    last year

Sorry to hear about your car. Bad enough to lose one that you love, but then you have to car shop which is something I hate!

BUT, that cabinet is gorgeous! The entire room is beautiful--great job!

1929Spanish-GW thanked teeda
  • Lars
    last year

I love everything about your dining room, including the fact that it IS a dining room and not part of a kitchen. I'm a big fan of formal dining rooms, and have been since I was a child.

Good luck with your vehicle. It seems that 100,000 miles is not all that much, and so I would think that you could get more use out of it.

1929Spanish-GW thanked Lars
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Lars. I love long dinner parties sitting in the dining room.

As for the car…My plan was to drive it forever. DH’s car is a 2008. We drive each car less than 10k/year. But the damage is most likely going to trigger insurance to total the car.😭😭😭

• nicole___
    last year

Love the cabinet and the space it will occupy! Nice! I've had my GLC 300 Benz for 1.5 years now. It goes in Monday to get the cracked windshield replaced. $1800, but my policy has free glass and a zero comp deductible...so luckily it's free-to-me. Your right about repair costs being a little high.

1929Spanish-GW thanked nicole___
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    last year

It’s too bad MB stopped making Bluetec. Car shopping is fun. Hope you will find your next suv soon!

• Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Thanks so much for the info, 1929Spanish! I can't stop looking at your DR ceiling and that gorgeous light and your furniture. What a pretty space!

1929Spanish-GW thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • barncatz
    last year

Your cabinet is just a perfect fit with your table and light. How much fun are you going to have filling it! I hope you plan on posting. And how much fun are you going to have setting that table against that backdrop?! Enjoy. (Bummer about the car. Hate spending a penny on cars, lol.)

1929Spanish-GW thanked barncatz
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    last year

As everyone has said…Wow! Worth the wait for such a perfect addition to your lovely room. Perfrct !

1929Spanish-GW thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • jill302
    last year

Your cabinet is perfect in your gorgeous room. Great choice!

So sorry to hear about your SUV, certain cars just capture our hearts and it is horribly disappointing when we are forced to let go of them. Maybe you will find a new love, but I understand how hard that can be. I am still looking.

1929Spanish-GW thanked jill302
  • czarinalex
    last year

That cabinet is the perfect finishing touch to your gorgeous dining room. Bravo to you for having the patience for exactly the right piece!

1929Spanish-GW thanked czarinalex
  • dani_m08
    last year

Wow- that cabinet is absolutely stunning!

1929Spanish-GW thanked dani_m08
  • Olychick
    last year

Gorgeous cabinet; well worth the wait. If the insurance company totals your car, you can probably buy it back for very little money and drive it until it dies.

1929Spanish-GW thanked Olychick
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    Original Author
    last year

@Olychick it’s currently dead. the battery, fuse box and I-don’t-know-what-else was sitting in water for an undetermined amount of time. The interior was pulled out to find it.

• maire_cate
    last year

What a lovely piece. It's perfect in that corner and a great complement to your dining table. Everything goes together beautifully. I can't try tell from the photo but do the bottom doors slide?

My deepest condolences on your SUV. I know how you feel since I had the exact same car - a diesel 2013 ML350. It was my all time favorite, I called it my Goldilocks car - not too big, not too small, just right! I picked it up at the dealership before Christmas 2012 and it had a huge red bow. I was so excited I didn't even take a photo. In fact the only photo I have is one with the tailgate open and my DD's birthday cake in the back. It was during Covid and the 3 of us celebrated on the sidewalk outside her condo.

Two years ago i sold it to the owner of the dealership who wanted it for his house in FL. We had ordered it with a manufacturer installed tow hitch but never towed anything and he needed a diesel for towing. It only had 50,000 miles on it and I never thought about selling it. It's probably the only time I know I got a really good car deal. He paid me above value plus a substantial discount on any car in his 5 brand dealership.

Look familiar?

Maire

1929Spanish-GW thanked maire_cate
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH