SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlhart76

April 2023 Week 1

jlhart76
last year

OKC'S average last frost is April 1. Will Mother Nature play her trick this year, or are we iñ the clear?

Comments (59)

• hazelinok
    last year
    last modified: last year

I had to come back to edit because I realized my carrot "talk" made zero sense.

I found carrots today while weeding that must have popped up over the past month and they were amongst the winter weeds. In that bed, they (probably) were sown last spring. However, I did sow new carrot seed in anothe bed yesterday. And maybe I'll see those in a year. That's what I was rambling about while trying to post and watch You Outta Know at the same time. LOL

HI everyone.

Amy, thanks for checking on us (other thread). We are all fine as I'm sure you know by now.

Scary and sad, though.

Quick update on our gardens.

All of my raised beds are cleaned out of henbit, etc. now.

It's always amusing what you find in the garden when you look closely. I have carrots in one of the raised beds. Maybe I planted them last spring??? They were hiding in the henbit. In a perfect row.

Carrots are weirdos for sure. Maybe I'll see those in year. lol

Same bed has the dill coming up. It comes up there every year.

Rick got the SG tilled and the corn planted.

I need flippin' Chip Drop to bring some chips, tho! The pathways in the kitchen garden are horrible.

I'm ready to start planting next weekend, but it's Holy Week and I'll be busy next weekend. SO....if the 10 day forecast looks good on Easter, then I'll start planting the next day.

How is it already time?!

Tom has the CMTs on, and Alanis Morissette just came on (what?! on the CMTs?) But, it's probably the only performance that I've enjoyed since sitting here for the past half hour. I hate when I get distracted when posting here or anywhere.

Where was I?

Everything really does look so good right now as far as plants go. The property isn't pretty and the garden pathways are untidy--but that's okay.

Actually, the cabbage plants in the very tall raised bed do not look good. The wind has torn them up pretty badly. But I can see the new leaves coming in and they look good. Maybe not all is lost. And I have the other cabbages in the hinged hoop which gets a bit more protection.

It's time, Friends!

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

Jen, I normally plant between 15 and 30 tomato plants, but I normally start 50 to 100 so I can have plenty to give away. Madge and I say each year that we wont need over 12 plants, but we have never been able to cut down to 12 plans. ( Madge has started over 12 herself)

My neighbor has a nice greenhouse, but has never started any seeds in it. He and I sort of started a deal between us, I am not able to do much, I don't walk well, and cant lift much. Neighbor is retired also (about the same age as my oldest son ) and is as strong as a mule. I have 4 old junkie tractors, and a bunch of old junkie equipment. Between the two of us, neighbor and I have access to nearly 100 acres of land, so we can always find a spot to work into a garden.

I try to keep the equipment going and do a lot of the tractor work, neighbor does the hard stuff. I am hoping that we can sell a lot of the plants and buy supplies for next year. Neighbor sells produce through the summer and into the fall, we have a lot of squash and pumpkins ready to go into the ground now, but we can't get the ground ready because it has been so wet.

Jennifer, we celebrated Madge's 84 birthday today, we had a house full, and the kids drove the ATV through out beet and turnip patch twice. There is nothing safe around kids with an ATV. The beets were just starting to break through the soil surface. I will have to see if I can repair, and string some kind of marker.

• Related Discussions

Recipes for Easter Leftovers - Week 1 April 2013

Q

Comments (10)
    Ham and Split Pea Soup from Epicurious : From Cooks Illustrated March 1999. this is a delicious soup but takes a little bit of time to make the broth but it's incredible. You can use a leftover ham bone if you get one of those big hams at the holidays (freeze the bone with a bit of meat) or a ham hock is okay too but can be salty. 1 piece (about 2.5 lbs) smoked bone in picnic 4 bay leaves 1 lb split peas rinsed and picked through 1 tsp dried thyme 2 tbsp olive oil 2 med onions, chopped med 2 med carrots, chopped med 2 med celery stalks, chopped med 1 tbsp butter (optional) 2 med garlic cloves, minced 3 small new potatoes scrubbed and med. diced ground black pepper balsamic vinegar Bring 3 quarts of water, ham, bay leaves to a boil, overd med high heat in large soup kettle. Reduce heat ot low and simmer until meat is tender and pulls away from the bone (2-2.5 hours). Remove ham meat and bone from broth; add split peas and thyme and simmer until peas are tender and dissolved (45 min - 1 hour). Meanwhile, when ham is cooled enough to handle, shred meat into bite sized pieces and set aside. Discard rind and bone. While ham is simmering, heat oil in large skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add onions, carrots and celery; saute, stiring frequently until most of the liquid evaporates and veggies begin to brown; 5-6 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add butter, garlic, and sugar. Cook veggies, stirring frequently, until deeply browned; 30-35 min, set aside. Add sauteed veggies, potatoes, and shredded ham to soup; simmer until potatoes are tender and peas dissolve adn thicken soup to the consistency of light cream (about 20 min more). Season with black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle with red onion (optional)and pass vinegar (optional)
    ...See More

Recipes for Grilled Vegetables - Week 1 April 2013

Q

Comments (14)
    Uncle Wilson is not my uncle; I truly have no recollection of where I got this recipe. If it was from someone here, please claim as the contributor, and I will update my files. Uncle Wilson's Grilled Onions 6 large white onions -- sweet white onions such as Vidalia 12 strips bacon 2 tablespoons butter Salt and pepper Peel and wash the onions. With the point of a small, sharp knife, cut a 1-inch core from the top of each onion and make shallow slits in a circle around the top. Wrap 2 slices of bacon horizontally around each onion, and secure them with toothpicks. Then put 1 teaspoon of butter in each core. Season with salt and pepper. Place each onion on a square of aluminum foil and bring the edges together at the top, leaving a small opening for steam to escape. Put the foil-wrapped onions on the grill and cook for 1 hour, or until the onions are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. You can also bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Cool the onions for a few minutes then unwrap and cut into quarters to serve.
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 1/1/2023

Q

Comments (57)
    So glad to hear you are feeling better, Yeonassky! Isn't it amazing how exercise becomes such a part of your daily routine that even when sick you want to get out there! I am not there currently lol.. but I have been in the past and will be again. Best wishes in the new year and with your increments with running and pushups! Prickly what a great feeling to look back at the last year and to see your accomplishments right there in the mirror! What really stands out to me is that you say you feel "strong and fit" ... and that you have significantly reduced your digestive issues. Those are the kinds of changes that impact your quality of life! I am impressed and so happy for you! Well done! And prickly's post reminded me that we all have been here posting and sharing experiences since what? May? It has been so very helpful to have this forum to share experiences, articles, recipes and successes! You all have kept me focused when I want to throw up my hands ... and inspired when I think I just can't eat another cucumber LOL. Thank you all for coming back here week after week! ❤️❤️❤️ So I can't really explain my update this week-- but I am down 4lb since 12/31 --- 3 lb lower than my lowest weight in 2022. I definitely cut back on the indulgences, but I really didn't expect to see any losses-- in fact, I am pretty sure my calories were higher than usual! I can't explain it but I am just really glad to see a loss after 4 months of very slow progress.
    ...See More

April week 2 ,2023

Q

Comments (49)
    The rats are back. I'm afraid its the cottonseed hulls I'm using for mulch around my tomato plants that are providing food for the rats. I put the hulls down two weeks ago and now I'm seeing tunnelling activity under the fence, in four places. May be a coincidence, IDK. I've been using hulls for at least 10 years. I don't recall seeing any signs of rats before last summer and the new neighbors keeping dog food on their patio. But the hulls have seeds in them, and if the rats don't eat the hulls themselves, I know they would eat the seeds. I've not yet planted my peppers and I was going to mulch them and the cucumbers with hulls. I'm not so sure now. And it would not take an entire bag of hulls, so I would have to store the hulls. I'm thinking one of those big plastic containers from Home Depot would work, don't think the rats could chew through that. One other option for mulching is this wood type .... Scotts Nature Scapes Deep Forest Brown Bark Color Enhanced Mulch But I would have to take this out of the garden to till in the fall. There's always straw, but I'm not sure the straw would not also be attractive to rats, if for nothing else than habitat. For me, nothing replaces these hulls. They're a bit expensive these days, but they provide a good thick mulch and I can till them in and they decompose to provide organic matierial for the soil. I cook a lot on my patio. I barbecue. I've got smokers and grills. I've got a new griddle that Mrs Dollar enjoys more than I do. I don't like the thought of rats crawling around on my equipment and on my patio, which is maybe 50 foot from their activity signs. And it makes me rethink everything I have on the patio and in the shed, as to whether its something rats could use for food / habitat. Or they could destroy like bag of hulls I had to thow away last fall. I went full nuclear on rat killing/trapping devices yesterday. Snap traps, poison bait stations, and live traps. It will take a few days to see any results. The dayuum things are smart.
    ...See More
  • Lynn Dollar
    last year

Haz/Jen ... ( I never really know which ) , I'm wanting to grow dill. A barbecue forum I visit says fresh dill makes all the diff in making pickles. I read its a cool season plant, is it too late now ? Also, when do you plant cucumber seed ?

I saw that Gary Clark Jr covered a Stevie Ray Vaughn song at the CMT Awards. I don't watch those award shows, is CMT a country music award show ? I thought it was. I enjoy both Clark and SRV but I never thought either was country music.

Blues/Rock Review

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

Jlhart, when some manage their 401K or IRA, they want to try to move in and out of the stock market anticipating if going down or up. And for us Average Joes, that's not a good thing. Leave that to the experts. Just ride out the high's and lows. The selling part is easy but the buying back in part is the difficult one. Its real easy for the market to go back up before they can get back in.

I look at planting tomatoes the same way, hahaha ..... I want to be in the ground when the soil temps warm up to 60*. And I want to plant when I can get in the garden, I don't want to hope for several days of no rain. For me, its a better bet just to get the 5 gallon buckets out of the shed.

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

I plan on potting some tomatoes and peppers into larger pots this week, and hardening the plants off. It is so uncertain around here as to when I can get into the garden, or when the last frost date is. I almost ever year have some plant in larger pots, and others as back-ups.

I try to watch the Oklahoma soil temp chart to try to know when the soil is warm enough. By looking at the chart my soil should be around 55 degrees.

• hazelinok
    last year

oh no, Larry! Your poor beets and turnips!

But, Happy BD to Madge!

Lynn, yes! Get some dill. Fresh dill makes ALL the difference in pickles.

Either name is fine. It's confusing, I know. And to make it more confusing Jen only likes to go by Jen....not Jennifer or Jenny.

I'm Jen, Jennifer, Jenny depending on who is addressing me (and HJ and Hazel here.) Why I gotta be so complicated.

Also, I stopped watching those awards shows too, for the most part. Usually when Tom has them on, I'm doing something else. Yes, CMT is country music, that's why I was surprised with Alanis Morissette was on it. I probably still have my cassette tape of Jagged Little Pill from way back when I was in my 20's. Anyway...she's not country.

Jen, I hope your herbs are doing okay. The comfrey looked iffy when I dropped it off. IF it doesn't make it, let me know and I'll dig up more and bring to SF.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

Well, I was at Ace Hardware this morning and saw they had dill plants. So I bought two rather than to try to seed them. And now I've got another plant to learn about.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    last year

Lynn, dill will bolt when it gets warm, but it starts so easy from seed I often direct seed. You can cut a piece before it flowers, put it in a plastic bag and freeze it for later pickles. I had one recipe that called for a branch in each jar. Now some call for seed.

Happy birthday Madge!

Tablet is fighting i houzz . Jennifer, bring some lemon balm to spring fling, please.

• jlhart76
    Original Author
    last year

HJ, I'm right there with you. I'm presiding over our Good Friday service, so I'm trying to get that finished. Plus working extra to help make up the time, I've had too much time off lately as it is and really can't afford to take more. But working extra means my time outside this week will be limited. Ugh, being an adult sucks. I put the 2 bigger comfreys in the ground, see how they do in a few days. Chamomile I broke into little chunks and put in a large pot, then pulled (gently) a few singles out and potted them up individually. We'll see which round works. Lemon balm went into a pot too...or the ground...I really don't remember now lol.

Larry, sounds like a good arrangement between you two. And I agree, 12 is just entirely too few plants. Even though I'm the only one who eats them. But I've also never had a good harvest; usually one or two tomatoes here and there. I'm hoping though, that now I can plant in the ground that I'll start getting bumper crops of stuff and maybe in a few years start selling my excess. Gotta support my gardening habit somehow, right? And pass along my well wishes to Madge.

Lynn, as HJ said, she's Jen, Jennifer, Hazel or HJ, I'm Jen. My dill always seemed to struggle in the summer, then perked back up when it started to cool off. CMT is country music, comes from the old cable station "Country Music Television". Back in its heyday it played music videos, like MTV used to be music videos before it turned into...whatever you'd call it now. And with all the crossovers, no one is truly country or rock or whatever. I mean, Taylor Swift will always be a country singer in my mind, despite her current success.

Amy, HJ brought me some lemon balm. If she doesn't bring some to spring fling, I'll split what she gave me. I learned when we were still in Tulsa that it's a complete thug and can take over quickly. Which is why I'm planting it in the ground. If it takes off, great. I like thuggy plants lol.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

According to Channel 4 meteorologist , next two weeks will be warm with no severe weather ......... and no rain .

Slater Weather Tweet

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

I could do this hoop house, very easily. Might be able to start tomato plants up to a month earlier. Mrs Dollar wonders how it would hold up in the wind.

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

We have been working at the greenhouse. Neighbor has been removing most of the plants to start hardening off, which is not working to well. We are told that you start with an hour of sun, then increase an hour a day, we can't even empty the greenhouse in an hour. The plan is to stack the plants on our trailers, then just pull them into the shade after the time is up. It looks like we will end up with a bunch o sun scalded plants.

I spent a good bit of time pulling sweet potato slips, then potting then into Solo cups. I potted up 185 Red Wine Velvet plants today, I should wind up with at least 300 RWV, and maybe 200 Covington.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

On days of really heavy wind, if the temps are not below freezing, then I could just roll up the plastic ? IDK what I would do if freezing temps and high wind. The video says nothing about wind.

I'm thinking I would anchor it with Quikrete . This would be a permanent addition. After last frost just take the plastic off.

• HU-422368488
    last year

For heavy wind you would just about have to take the plastic off completely or the wind will finish taking it off for you. And then the wind will beat your plants up if it's that bad. For freezing temps you would need to heat it at night at least. If you got both high winds and freezing temps I guess your just out of luck.

I had a lot of problems wrangling with the winds all winter with my low tunnels even as well anchored down as I did.

The plastic ends would keep blowing open and by the time I was finished with them I had rips in the row cover in places.

Don't under estimate that wind.

Rick

• hazelinok
    last year

Amy, there's quite a few lemon balm plants in the burn pile. I'll grab some for you. It's where I got Jen's plant.

Lynn, my dill is planted where it gets some shade in the afternoon/evening. It will flower or the swallowtails find it, but will go another round in the fall. Which works for me because of fall cucumbers. It smells SO good. Years ago I put a dill plant in that spot and haven't had to buy a plant since then.

Lynn, have you seen Backyard Revolution? The guy has an amazing garden in a suburb of Chicago. He takes his plastic off in the summer and grows things all winter with the plastic on. Check him out. He's not one of the annoying YouTubers. He's practical and very successful with his garden.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

Rick, give wind an inch, and wind will take a mile.

H/J , I'd like to plant the dill along the south wall of the house, where I grow my cilantro, basil, and garlic. But the info with the plant said it needs full sun. And the eave of the house will get mostly shade in June when the sun is straight over head. I might have to dedicate a corner of the garden, right next to my cucumber trellis. I've heard if ya plant it once, it keeps coming up, but if I plant in the garden it will get tilled. But I got some time to figure that out.

So you're finding YouTubers becoming annoying also ? I was mostly watching barbecue vids and I've cut back a lot on those. What happens to them, is they have some success making vids covering the basics and build a big subscriber base. Along with that, they get a good income from Google. Then comes the pressure to keep creating content to keep people watching and keep the income rolling in. And that's when I find them annoying. They have to really reach. All kinds of comparisons, and experiments, and reviewing products and then they label their vid with something like " A New Way to Grow Tomatoes " ... " A New Way to Smoke a Brisket " ......... and they're generally a waste of time.

And in the barbecue world they've become " social media influencers " that go on the payroll of smoker//grill manufacturers to promote the latest smoker that no one really needs. I'm all about capitalism, its made our country wealthy, but I'm also a consumer and I know " snake oil " when I see it.

• Kim Reiss
    last year

About you tube. I agree. There are many channels that started out great, informative channels and then crossed over to commercialism. I do not watch tv at all so you tube is my go to for entertainment. It’s sad to watch a good channel change from informative down home to sponsorship.

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

I bought a pack of dill seed last year and never planted them, I hope the seeds are still good, maybe I can find a place to put them.

When I went to the greenhouse yesterday evening to water, neighbor informed me that we still had between 1200 and 1300 tomatoes to pot up. I dont know how we got that many tomatoes, that brings our total up to near 1500 plants, there is no way we can care for all the plants that we have. We have a chance of hail, out plant problems may go away fast.

Well I gotta go see the Dr., talk to y'all later.

• hazelinok
    last year

Edited to say: Larry! That is a crazy amount of tomatoes! I'm pretty sure that Dawn in her glory days didn't even have that many. LOL

The country music talk and the wind talk reminds me of a meme that I saw yesterday. It was a pic of Carrie Underwood singing "there's not enough wind in Oklahoma" (y'all know that song?)....well, you can imagine the funnyness of the meme.

Day off! And laundry is done. Supplies purchased for an event tomorrow night and hoop house watered. Time for a break.

A quick walk around the gardens was windy and warm. (I did figure out where 3 of the 4 escaping hens are getting out and fixed it. Maizey just flies over even with clipped wing feathers)

The potatoes are really popping up. I'm finding more carrots that were planted last year and all sorts of interesting things in the burn pile.

Corn! We have corn coming up in the burn pile. So, now I have identified corn, lemon balm, garlic, coneflowers, sunflowers, cilantro, and yarrow.

We usually only burn the pile in the late fall. Although this year, we did a winter burn on a nice January day. (and an expensive drone watched us and we thought it was the fire marshal)

I guess that burning really "activates" the plants to sprout or something? I'm sure it's science that I've read about in the past but don't remember the details.

I do enjoy YouTube, but am a little weary of some of my old favorites. No complaints, tho. If it's annoying, I turn it off.

It does make me nervous (for the YouTubers) when everyone in the family quits their jobs to do YouTube full time. I am happy for them, but it would be scary.

Sometimes it is the weak content, but some of them have voices that annoy me. I say that knowing full well, that *I* have an annoying voice too. I do little videos of my garden that I share on my FB Garden Monday posts. I say "sorta" and "kinda' too much for one. And just my pronunciation of words sounds awkward and I talk too fast at times.

Anyway...

It's nearly noon. Where is the day going?

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

Jennifer, we just got back from the clinic, and coming down the hwy past neighbors house, I noticed him near the greenhouse. I have got to go down and talk to him, we just cant care for that many plants, he need to sell as many as he can and buy supplies for next year.

I ask neighbor " how in the world did we get that many plants"? He said "well last year nothing would come up". This is the first year that I have helped him in the greenhouse, in the past I just gave him my excess plants. I noticed that he was buying a large amount of seeds, I just though that he was stocking up. Anyway we have tons of plants.

Nancy, some of the seeds we planted this year were some you sent. I have planted some of your seed every year since you sent them, but I thought I had better get to planting more of them, or I would never use them up. All the seeds I have used from your gift made good plants, and good tomatoes, thanks for all the good eating.

Well, I had better change clothes and go to the greenhouse, I know there is a ton of work to be done.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

H/J , I could not find a YouTube channel called Backyard Revolution

• hazelinok
    last year

Sorry, Lynn. It's One Yard Revolution. OYR Frugal & Sustainable Organic Gardening.

It's been 3 years since he's made videos, tho.

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

We had more wind and rain early this morning, I have not been out to check, but I think everything is okay, except that we did not need the rain.

I will have to go over to the greenhouse and start potting up more plants after while. We sure need to change our plans for next year, two beat up old men don't need this many plants to care for. If the new plans to down size go like my past plans to down size, I may have twice as many plants next year.

Neighbor called from Ft. Smith and told me that he needed at least 30 cherry tomatoes potted up today, but we are out of one kind of potting mix we like. Neighbor watches the weather on his phone, and says we should have 8 good day to try to get some work done, starting this after noon. I don't know where he gets his information, but I hope he is correct.

We are running late this year, just like always, but the potato patch that has come up ( about 350# of seed) really looks good.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

After a lot of Googling yesterday, I think the hoop house is a good idea but fails in execution. In my case, I would run the risk of an early March arctic cold front with strong winds and freezing temps. In that case, I can't open up the hoop house and I'd just have to hope it held up to the wind.

I think I'll pass.

And I also have questions about soil temps inside the hoop house.

• HU-422368488
    last year

Probably a wise decision. I've seen it get in the single digits in early March usually after I've put out onions.

Rick

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

Yes, I've seen that also. I got my onions through a 6* night in the first week of March one year, by covering them with leaves and then soaking the leaves. With a hoop house, there's double jeopardy ...... whether temps stay above freezing in the hoop house and that's if the plastic doesn't get blown off by the strong north winds.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

Channel 9 says a frost tonight for OKC and the I-44 corridor . Call for a low of 35

Weather Channel 9

National Weather Service says 39 for a low.

Channel 4 is saying 37*

Channel 5 says 38

I hate getting those buckets out. Have to be a very small chance of a freeze

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

Madge and I went to visit friends about 50 miles away, when we got back and the greenhouse was shut up, my min/max was showing 59 out side, the greenhouse was about 99 on the inside.

The only way we can make the greenhouse work for us is for one of us to stay home and monitor it, or set it up on a thermostat. A fan is not too expensive to run, but heat will cost more. The best bet for us is to babysit the greenhouse.

You really have to keep an eye on the moisture of the potting soil also, the wrong mixture can dry out very fast.

So far we have done well on potting up our sweet potatoes, we lost one plant to a bird before we could get the plants watered.

• hazelinok
    last year

We got to 39 last night. Everything looked okay in the hoop house.

Lynn, my phone app says low of 40 in the morning.

I won't be home tonight to do much for anything. Hoping it all works out.

Larry, that's the thing about greenhouse, hoop houses--they really need to be monitored if they're not set up with the fancy, expensive equipment.

Today, I'm working until around 8:30 and will be home by 9ish.

I asked Tom to please check to see if the hoop house door was still open. Even though I prop it with a concrete block, it's been known to slam shut on extremely windy days. Then, the temperature jumps up on sunny days (like today) that can cause damage. I wish I was home to close it around 6 to try to hold in some heat. But, I won't be home. And Tom won't either because after he gets all the critters fed, he's coming to help me at work so I won't be here until midnight.

Even though hoop houses aren't perfect, it has been a great blessing and very useful. Especially with hardening off.

• hwy20gardener
    last year

Holy jeebus, our potatoes have gone bonkers over the past week. I guess the warm temps just shot them up. Well, or I was just preoccupied with septic-gate. What an absolute mess.

The wind was only blowing about 50 mph yesterday, but my tomatoes are okay. They've been out on the deck the last few days & nights. It's time to get them in the dirt, just too tall now.

I may be out of room after this weekend, but i'm really hoping the brocolli/cab/caul experiment works out okay. Almost time to get the beans planted too.

• HU-422368488
    last year

Our potatoes are popping up too.

Wish it wouldn't frost anymore and bite them back.

Thinkin about planting beans too. Hopefully the soil temps will warm on up.

Rick

• Kim Reiss
    last year

I found the missing eggs I finally got a chicken tunnel added to the coop so no more free ranging. I almost killed one of my girls when her head got caught when I was closing them up for the night. Ugh. Good news for gardening tho. Now I can plant seeds get them covered with insect cloth and hopefully grow something to eat. I think I missed the sugar pea window but I may still throw some seeds in empty container to see. They are one of my favorites.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

We had a pocket of freezing temps just to the NW of OKC

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

Jed at Channel 9 missed it last night with a forecast low of 35, so he doubles down tonight with a low of 34. NWS says 38 tonight at Will Rogers airport.

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

Rick, that looks like good potato soil, which we don't have a lot of around here.

Neighbor grew up central Arkansas in flat land farming country, and is having problems adjusting to this rocky, hilly, clayie western Arkansas land. The practice he is mostly having problems with is erosion. If we don't keep our ground covered, we don't keep it, then in a big rain we may lose it anyway. We are trying to fight erosion by using my land for gardening. I still have erosion problems, but not like he does, we may not be able to do any good over here either.

Lynn, this is a touch time of the year for me also, I don't feel safe till the first of May, but I can risk a few plants, it depends on how many buckets and tubs I have on hand.

Ft. Smith weather is showing 46 degrees, I am showing 38 here. I often have a freeze of frost here and nearby places are warmer. My temp is more likely to be closer to the temp in Poteau, Oklahoma, which is farther away than Ft. Smith.

• HU-422368488
    last year

It's heavy clay soil there at Jennifers. When it gets wet it stays wet a while but no rocks much. I tilled it last week while it was still a little wet and it dried clotty , had to retill a few times to break the clots down to plant corn.

Getting ready to start putting out toms and plant beans before it gets wet again.

Rick

• hazelinok
    last year

Kim, I found these eggs on Tuesday, hidden behind a tarp that I put up in December as a wind block for the winter.

It was sorta my fault tho, There were a couple of recent days that the coop door wasn't propped open securely. I found a few eggs lying around their yard/pen, but KNEW there had to be more. (Did they eat them? Did they refuse to lay them and are they now eggbound?) Nope, pulled the tarp back and here they are. They all sank in water, so they're still good to eat. I won't give these away, tho. We will eat them. Just in case. But, they really did all sink.

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

Rick, the soil looked more fluffy than it did after blew the picture up, but it is still much better than some of the soil we are trying to work with. There are very few spots around here level enough to make a good garden spot, but a person just has to play the hand that is dealt to them.

I have the two garden spots hear at my house in pretty good shape, but it is a never ending battle to them that way. We have to amend the soil a lot to keep in in pretty good shape. The people that have naturally good soil don't realize what a blessing they have.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

I lost my nerve. I looked at this map. And I got out the buckets .

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

I up-potted 180 bell peppers this afternoon, and a bunch of tomatoes, not sure how many. I potted 13 Mrs Maxwell tomato plants ( I have never heard of them before ). Neighbors friend gave him some seed, friend told neighbor that he was unable to get the seeds to germinate. We have two tomato types that I want to watch closely, the Mrs. Maxwell, and one from George, Baker Family Heirloom. I have a good bunch of the Baker Family, so I can gamble a little with them, but with only 13 of the Mrs. Maxwell I may get uneasy about having seeds for next year.

We are have more problems than we need this year. It seems as though everything we own is broken down, and we need to be getting soil ready to plant, and I still have a few hundred plants to up-pot.

Jennifer, I think your hens are starting their own 401K, you may want to borrow money from then some day.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

I'm halfway between two Mesonet stations, the OKC East and Norman. Last night, OKC East saw a low of 32 and Norman hit 37.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

OKC Will Rogers says 40* right now, and that is 2 miles west of me.

• Howard Roberts
    last year

40 degrees in Norman at 5:40 am.

• Lynn Dollar
    last year

OKC East was a real anomaly. Strange. That mesonet station is located near the I-35 and I-40 interchange, on the property of the old " Rose Hill " sewer treatment plant. Its in the North Canadian river bottom.

OKC East is about 9 miles from my house. Norman mesonet near the Norman Municipal airport, which is about 9 miles from the house.

I just learned a trick for getting two 5 gallon buckets unstuck. Yesterday, evening I had four them stuck together and they would not budge. Well, a guy on YT said to pour hot water around the top of the lower bucket. I just did that and they came apart with ease. Only catch is, they were cold this morning. Not sure this would work if they were warmer. The heat causes the lower bucket to expand, releasing it.

Next trick to learn is a way to store these things so they won't get stuck.

• Kim Reiss
    last year

here a pic of a few nests I found. It’s tiring but my grand love eggs so I keep searching.

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

Kim, it looks like your chickens are saving up for a rainy day also. That brings back memories of going out and looking for nest when I was a kid.

My min/max shows that we got down to 39 here last night. According to Lynn's map, we should have been 38. We are also within 1 degree of what Ft. Smith shows. We often get Oklahoma City weather a day later, but I had rather not have anything lower than 40, with warmer, dryer days so we can get some soil ready. We have plants that need to be planted now, and more that will be ready in about 3 weeks. I told neighbor that we were going to have to sell some plants or rent more land.

So far we have been very lucky with our plants. Of the 185 sweet potato slips I potted, the only one we lost was carried away by a bird no more than 30 minutes after I potted it. I had rather go from the sweet potato straight into the ground, but you have to have the ground ready, and the weather cooperating, of which did not happen.

• hazelinok
    last year

I'm glad you're finding your eggs, Kim.

I need to find sweet potatoes, Larry. I'll do a few again in the mineral tubs.

My low was 39 around 7 am.

We have the SG planted! Rick did the beans and we both got the tomatoes planted. 53, I think. We've been working hard after our paying jobs. We'll probably be very sore by Monday morning when we start the work week again. He's going to plant at Okmulgee tomorrow and I've got events (that I'm in charge of) all weekend and then try to cook, shop, and work in the garden in-between stuff.

The only things that remain are okra and cowpeas.

I was also able to get the Dr. Wyche and Sungold in. And the eggplant. There's not a lot of those--just 3 Dr. Wyche and 2 Sungold and 6 eggplant. They are in the back garden that I call Charlotte's Garden. There's also a few onions back there and the garlic. I put in several calendula tonight as well. And a couple of chamomile. When it warms up, Seminole pumpkins will go on the trellises. In June, the onions and garlic will come out and hopefully the seminole will sprawl. It has the potential to look really pretty.

A couple of years ago, I had flowers, peppers in the raised beds, and noodle beans on the trellis. It was quite lovely until the aphids found the noodle beans.

I am hoping to squeeze in some time after Easter lunch to get the remaining heirloom tomatoes planted. And maybe the herbs and flowers. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to finish the herb spiral. There's gobs of henbit in and around it and needs to be filled with soil.

It's the time of year for the 1000's of little tree sprouts. So annoying.

It would be nice to have a week off from work. Especially next week. The weather looks great.

I'm rambling. So tired. Hope everyone is enjoying the decent weather.

• jlhart76
    Original Author
    last year

HJ, what kind of tree? We're debating putting some in the back field.

I had church tonight, had to head over at 2 and got home about 9 so everything stayed inside today. I'll try planting a few things tomorrow, if we don't go somewhere. Cliff mentioned going to the dog park, but isnt feeling wel ltoday so it depends on how he's feeling in the morning. We also have a few things to do before spring Fling, so I may suggest we do that instead.

• slowpoke_gardener
    last year

Jennifer, I did not get a lot of potatoes from my mineral tub, It is in an area that does not get a lot of sun. I also need to redo my mineral tub rack. I tried to make it where I could mow under it, but the rack that had 6 tubs on it was so heavy that it started pulling the deck apart. I have a hi-lift jack that I intend to lift the rack back in place and pull it into position with "F " clamps, at the same time I will repair the deck.

I was up-potting again today. I brought 180 bell peppers, and about 125 egg plants home to put under the lights. I really think the plants would be okay in the greenhouse, but because I run my light 24 hours a day, and the light shelf in in a bedroom. it stays pretty warm in the bed room. I think the extra heat at night may make the plants grow a little faster.

We are hoping to get our ground ready this week. We are late every year. but if it stays sunny enough to dry the soil, I can bust up the soil fast with a tractor.

Neighbor though that the plants may to be fed, which I agreed, so I mixed up a 2 gal sprayer of Miracle Gro and left it in the greenhouse. I had told him that I had 46-0-0, 32-0-0, 10-20-10, and 13-13-13 also that we could use, but a weak spray of MG was all that I had ever used on young plants. When I went back this evening I noticed pellets of fertilizer stuck to some of the growing tips of the young plants, I tried to flick off what pellets I could, but I know that we will have some damage from the strong fertilizer, but we will cross that bridge when we get to if. I hope that neighbor did not try to fertilize the plants on the trailer or the others under the car port, because plants close together will catch nearly all of the pellets on their leaves.