SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mckmandy

Dilemma Replace old Jennair downdraft cooktop

Amanda McK
last year
last modified: last year

Hello Houzz friends,
I'd like to hear your stories and advice on replacing my old Jennair electric cooktop.
We bought a house that was built in 1974. Has the original Jennair downdraft cooktop. On its last leg when we moved in 6 years ago. And for the past 2 years, only three burners work.
So we have been contemplating how to replace it. We've discussed a few options...
1. Keep it and repair the busted burner switch. It's probably the most economical option but least desired.
2. Replace it with a used or refurbished 30" cooktop w downdraft. I'm not really feeling good about the unknowns of this option.
Our kitchen also has a built-in double oven. Which is awkwardly situated in front of a doorway.
Which leads me to
3. Replace the cooktop with a slide in range (with downdraft); remove the double ovens and turn that into storage.
Although the expense of this was causing us great pause.
That explains why we've been living with only 3 burners.
So today I think the decision was made for us...
The double oven shorted out and fried the control panel. (Really scary, smelled of electric fire so we had to disconnect it. (Their is not a separate breaker for the oven, which I think is weird. But hey, it was the 70's).
Any thoughts or advice you can share will be helpful.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths