SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k_brown73

April 2023-Building a Home

Keen B
last year

Whether you are in the building, planning, or just-plain-dreaming-about it phases of home construction, this is the place for you! We are a kindly group who share the joys and stresses, the mistakes and successes of this wondrous process. Welcome! Glad you are here. (PS. We love pictures.)

Comments (136)

• capiljp
    last year

I have this one in my laundry room and love it. It’s not hands free but easy to clean. Then again, it’s not my main faucet. Other pic is kitchen faucet. Love the smart feature (I don’t talk to it).

• K_ Dub
    last year

@Liz888 We’ve had an awful experience with the concrete guy. Routinely says he’ll be there and then his crew doesn’t show up for two weeks. I’ve been told this is typical for these guys. They start a dozen jobs at once and jump from one to the next. They also have the same labor issues as other trades, etc. Makes my head explode. They are now telling us Thursday. Weather forecast calls for rain. Two steps forward and three back. Again.

• Related Discussions

April 2020 Building a Home

Q

Comments (468)
    NKay I am hoping I’ll get to work at home more in the future and understand that Ethernet is more secure and possibly faster than WIFi. I put Ethernet hook ups in a lot of different rooms so I won’t have long wires laying around as trip hazards. Even though we’ll have a study, I know I’ll want to sit with my computer at the kitchen island so we had wire run there that will come up through a hollow island leg. Make sure Ethernet wiring does not run parellel to electrical wiring (it causes interference). we hard-wired for picture lights where we plan to build bookcases, but since then I found out it wasn’t really necessary to hardwire as so many of the nice fixtures are battery operated now. My builder suggested 2 exhaust fans in several of our bathrooms ... I had him order the new NuTones with the antibacterial UV light/regular light and fan to go near each toilet and a regular exhaust fan/light outside of the shower to prevent humidity build up/mold. Decided to use part of my entry guest coat closet for my main cable box/router. The builder also put some hook ups in around the house to amplify the WiFi throughout the house. Also hooked up special exterior security lights that we can turn on/off from 1st floor and the 2d floor MBR. Hook up for under counter fridge (in case we later want one) in 2d floor laundry room. Hope some of these ideas are useful to you. Know we probably forgot stuff. I forgot wall plug for Dustbuster in the pantry. No matter how much we plan, it’s never enough.
    ...See More

Feedback for Blueprints (Semi-Custom Home Build April 2022)

Q

Comments (16)
    Anything in bold you should rethink: The best houses orient the public rooms towards the south for the best passive solar heating and cooling (What direction does your house face?) The best houses are L, U, T, H, or I shaped. The best houses are only one to two rooms deep. And covered lanai, porches, garages, etc count as rooms in this case. The best houses make sure kitchens have natural light, meaning windows so one doesn't have to have lighting 24/7 to use the kitchen. (And no, dining areas with windows 10' or more from the kitchen will not allow for natural light.) The best houses make sure all public rooms and bedrooms have windows on at least two walls. The best houses do not if possible put mechanical rooms, pantries or closets on outside walls The best houses keep public and private spaces separate. The best houses do not have you walk through the work zone of the kitchen to bring laundry to the laundry room. The best houses do not have the mudroom go through any of the work zones of the kitchen. The best houses do not use the kitchen as a hallway to any other rooms. The best houses do not put toilets or toilet rooms up against bedroom walls, public rooms or dining areas. The best houses do not have walk in closets too small to stand inside. The best houses have an organizing “spine” so it’s easy to determine how to get from room to room in the house and what makes sense.
    ...See More

April 2022 Building a Home

Q

Comments (544)
    @revamp that's horrible and I second the idea of a security camera. I hope things get better. K Brown we are on a barrier island outside Wilmington NC. @jojabis your kitchen looks lovely. We've been fairly fortunte with keeping subs once they get started. We've had a few issues with the Mason coming and going, but he's been back for the last few days and worked all day yesterday as well so hoping he's here until he's done. Probably another week of work. @Ash M great job on the tile!! They started laying the flooring downstairs. We are doing a pre-finished engineer hardwood because of the water issues at the coast. I'm not sure why the installer chose the place to start he did, other then possibly because it's the longest straight run throughout the downstairs, but he started in our formal living room and ran about 3 board widths straight through the back hall and the kitchen ending at the dining area's back wall. It looks fantastic.... BUT..... because we are on a slab, it is a glue down floor, and he installed it right up snug to the opening of our living room fireplace which is supposed to have a small brick hearth. It's likely not going to be very easy to cut it out of there at this point without damaging a fair bit of it. It's always something.
    ...See More

March 2023: Building a Home

Q

Comments (79)
    @chispa hahaha, I can provide those! They're looking a bit bedraggled while in the midst of shedding, and my pushy gal Eleanor was checking out an airplane that flew over. I had no idea that planes even registered with sheep. I'm not sure what the rules are with self promotion here, but I did set up an instagram for our farm in hopes of using it as a marketing tool when operations get ramped up. The name of the farm is Crow's Bluff, I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to find on IG with a quick search. And this is the mutt, Cirilla. She's a lucky girl, and loves being a farm dog when we are out there. Re: the RV, no. That belongs to a friend. He has 10 acres down the road from us and is working on getting water and power set up at his place for the RV. He wanted to move out of his apartment into the RV, and we figured having someone living there while we have lots of expensive construction supplies and appliances on site wouldn't hurt. I have a feeling that he may overstay his welcome, but for now it's nice to have him there. We are living at a rental house about half an hour away.
    ...See More
  • cathie2029
    last year
    last modified: 12 months ago

Things are moving along for all so it seems. Need more pics all :)

We are FINALLY doing our septic... and here's whats done so far... so close yet so far from completion:

I'm redoing all the door and window trim once we close as i want something different but dont want to spend any more on the labor to get this done... had issues every step of the way with this build btw, latest was a miscommunication with the appliance dealer and the builder about the 10" duct that needs to be in place for that 52" hood insert.... sigh,, so now they have to reroute the duct, redo some framing and redo the siding at a tune of 4k.... Same builder who told me i micro manage and not to micro manage his projects. Had i micro managed this wouldnt have happened ! Well almost done... almost..

• cathie2029
    12 months ago

@Kyla McSweeney Our builder uses balboa mist on everything-- ceiling and walls... here's a pic of the other house using this color... looks so different in different light....when we looked inside the house during daylight, it did have a pinkish undertone so you might want to get a large poster board and paint a sample and move that around throught the day...obv monitor isnt calibrated but at least you'll get the sense...sorta

• Laurel C
    12 months ago

@cathie2029 I painted the entire inside of our old house in Balboa Mist before we listed it. I was quite happy with it. I'd have considered it for our new build, but I'm planning to match the moldings and doors to the wall color and am hesitant to commit to a grey without a white contrast. I can attest that it will lean pinky purple on occasion but never reads as anything other than a warm neutral grey. It can clash with a legit beige though. Below are a few of the staged listing photos of our old place, you can see with the beige shower liner it doesn't look great, but it looks nice against the (slightly yellowed - oil paint) kitchen cabinets and trim, which were painted in Benjamin Moore Bavarian Cream.

• CSmith
    12 months ago

@cathie2029 Love the black and wood toned kitchen cabinets. Beautiful. Can't wait to see it when it's done!

• Laurel C
    12 months ago

So there are some updates. Yesterday we had a HERS inspector out to check our foam install, which, btw - looks like delicious melting whipped cream on the roof deck - they didn't shave any of the roof deck area down because there's no need. The house is super quiet with the foam sprayed.

Builder discussion included discussion of how we treat different parts of the interior regarding drywall and paint and plywood panels. We plan to panel both big northeast walls with plywood, separated with black seams. We'll echo that by painting the edge of the floating shelf in the kitchen black, and our big beams will get boxed in and painted black, along with treating the whole walls of windows similarly on the inside as we have on the outside - that is - all trim, and all black. We need to pick our paint color now, which I'm hoping to use for all of the walls, plus the baseboard and door trim. Our builder is hoping to use a local drywall guy, as the person he usually works with is about an hour away from us. We still need to make a decision about what we use to panel the built in headboard on our bed, but I'm thinking either the hickory cabinet material, or the shiplap we've used for the exterior siding (i just don't want to dust it all the time, so smoother may be better)

Our septic inspection was this morning, which we passed, which gets us the ability to have permanent power cut over to the house now. And as part of the septic getting inspected, our dirt guy started on the semi-final grading (i swear we've had like 7 phases of grading so far on this, i had no idea there'd be so much dirt work) where he smoothed the flat area out and blended it into the existing hillside. The goal is to have a grade that makes it look like the house is of the hill, not on the hill. I'm well aware of how pretentious that is. But we didn't want it to look like a lot of dirtwork went into putting the house in, we want it to look like it belongs in the landscape (the flat area behind the house is a whole other thing, but necessary for our use-case, and it's somewhat hidden). We apparently have something like 10 loads of dirt coming in to help smooth the grade.

• Kyla McSweeney
    12 months ago

Thanks @cathie2029 and @Laurel C for the pictures of Balboa Mist. I need to decide if that is what we will go with or something else. I have some time, as we don't have walls yet. I haven't been by the house yet this week to check out what is going on. Hopefully some progress. I hope to stop by today before I leave on vacation in the morning. (Girls trip to London).

• CSmith
    12 months ago

Drywall is up! Scheduled a nail inspection for this week, and the building department said they're too busy, so they've given up doing inspections on drywall screws or showers and to just go ahead and move along to next steps. *shrug*

This house is a huge leap of faith and super non-traditional. I have no clue if it's going to be amazing or just weird. Really exciting seeing the space come together from our minds into reality though.

We are doing a three-panel floor to ceiling barrier made of steel mesh on the upstairs loft area and then below that is our office to the right. Those 3 walls have been left open because we are installing steel and glass partition walls there. Original plan was just do a typical stair railing for loft area, but decided to mesh it in because we have little kids.

Example of mesh barriers since that's hard to visualize.

Looking out over living room from upstairs. We got another 4 inches last night of snow, so winter continues to winter here. I need to pick out a huge fan for this living room area. Looking at the BigAssFan site, lots of fun options there!

Looking into our kitchen/dining area. Circular duct holes are for our exposed ductwork downstairs. We have radiant concrete floors, but did HVAC as well for AC and added heat if needed.

Our front entry into the house. Doing a very sculptural stair railing here for added safety over the larger drop. Drawing of that is below. We also have a stupid "cat walk" area between stairs and our storefront windows since that's a foundation wall and was an oversight during drafting. I've been trying to come up with how to make that area not look terrible, pass code, and be safe for kids. After 2 bottles of wine and a night of drawing things out, I decided to fabricate a 9" high linear steel container and fill it with a rock/succulent garden. Will prevent it from being walkable and won't look terrible through windows looking into the house. Maybe it will even look like we planned it all along. (hah!).

Exterior picture. We are done with siding, just need to cover the exterior of the moment frame. Also need to finish the exterior of the fireplace. That will be a black thin brick tile (inside and outside). We are going to live with the white siding for a bit. Not sure if I love it, might paint it some day.

• Laurel C
    12 months ago

@CSmith the house looks fantastic. Big Ass Fans is HQed just down the road from us in Lexington, and their commercial grade fans are ubiquitous here in basically every commercial space. Our builder swears by them.

We have a 84" ES6 for our living room and a 72" ES6 for the office, plus we caught a clearance sale on a Haiku for our bedroom.

Your stair railings ar going to look great!

• Sofia
    12 months ago

C Smith, your house is looking amazing! I haven’t seen mesh panels before (thanks for the pic!) — so cool! Now I want them but we don’t have any stairs.

We love our new Big Ass fan — an 84” I6 in the great room. I’m lobbying for another one on the patio.

• 2rickies
    12 months ago

@CSmith your house is very cool! I like all the creative approaches and materials you're using. We're also getting Haiku fans, both interior and exterior.

@Laurel C, your house is looking fabulous! As for the dirt work, I was also surprised how many times they've come out to do various things. Next one is, I think, bringing the areas above the house back to grade after using them to store fill dirt and rock.

Just heard that the warmboard is almost all installed and if all goes well in about 10 days we're getting steel.

Anyone here who's using water purifiers, how many faucets do you put point of use water filters on? I figure we need drinking water in the sink in the master bath and the guest bath, besides the kitchen.

• Laurel C
    12 months ago

@2rickies We have pretty hard water in our area (the limestone is part of what makes the bourbon so good and the bluegrass so lush), so to protect appliances, we've opted for a whole-house conditioner/filtration system. I hate the feeling of softened water, and we have plants and stuff, so a traditionally softened water system wasn't going to work. It was between a nuvoH2O system and an Evo water system for us, and the nuvoH2O uses citric acid and the pH of our water is already a bit low, we didn't want to lower it further and risk damaging anything in our plumbing, so we went with Evo. The system we got is good for a 2500 sq ft house (ours is 1700) and includes a sediment prefilter, a carbon filter(1 year replacement intervals), and a bed of softener material that's never supposed to need to be changed. Our whole house is hooked up to it, including 3 outdoor faucets - one's a hot/cold we can use for an outdoor shower and to wash the dog, one's for washing cars/windows, and the other is on the other side for washing windows . We have a couple of non-softened faucets we'll use for stuff like watering plants and whatnot.

• Liz888
    12 months ago

@cathie2029 - You are making such a great progress on your house and it looks so good! I'm so excited for you!

@CSmith - your mesh barrier wall is going to be so cool! I've never seen that before and looks industrial which I love! The 9' linear structure is so unique - can't wait to see it set up. Two bottles of wine - i can relate. I've been drinking quite a bit myself to get through all these decisions. I think i've changed my mind on the plumbing fixtures alone too many to count - i've been working on this list for six months before we even got our permit. I'm now under a deadline so have it get it to my builder early next month.

@Laurel C - your exterior looks so nice and it's exciting to hear that you got the foam done. Is this close cell or open cell? I'm going to check out big ass fans. I've never heard of them but we need couple of fans in our house. Thanks for the info on the water filter system. we are on well water here so we also need to have whole house filtration system.

@Kyla McSweeney - vacation to london!!! So jealous, have a great time!

We got out basement wall poured yesterday! Slowly moving along...

• K_ Dub
    12 months ago

Congratulations Kyla. We finally got our Basement walls poured today!!! They started the foundation in October. It’s been a long haul. Should be framing in two weeks. Everyone says it goes quicker now. I sure hope so.

• agbhw
    12 months ago

Our ICF guy didn’t get to work the entire week like we hoped, perfect weather too. He got to come just one day. So we made some progress but not as much as I hoped. Still hoping to be done with ICF on the house this week. Then pour concrete as soon as it’s dry again. Garage is ICF will be done next.

• Laurel C
    11 months ago

I have a few updates. Our grading is looking good, our dirt guy smoothed out the steep transition between the house and the septic field, covered the tank, tore out a row of old fencing that was filled with multiflora rose and scrub cedar, and brought in 10 triaxles of topsoil so we can try growing some grass. We still have to get hooked up with a landscape designer. I got quotes for ~$3k from a couple of people (which, while I appreciate the skill that can go into a complete landscape design plan, I'm not prepared to spend at present), $1500 for one person, and $0 from someone else who owns a nursery. The $0 guy hasn't gotten back to me, and the $1500 guy hasn't responded to my last email. I may just wing it, lay out the hardscape I'm thinking of, and plug away at plantings as we have time and money to do so. Our builders covered the 2 walls in our main room and office with OSB that's going to be painted black before finish plywood panels are applied as the wall finish, my open kitchen shelf brackets are installed (the white rags are covering the ends of them for visibility), and we spent most of yesterday installing conduit and pulling ethernet cables to sit in the corner of the room at the back of the soffit for our wifi router. The stained cedar is installed everywhere but above the front door (builders are waiting for more rain screen to arrive). And I took a photo of the dog being happy to be a farm dog during our most recent sheep move.

• Laurel C
    11 months ago

@Keen B Your floors look stunning! If it was up to us and we didn't have builders and plenty of subs keeping progress moving, our place would never be done. It took us 5 months to wrap up all of our partially completed DIY projects at our old ranch home we had been in for 12 years when we decided to sell!

Keen B thanked Laurel C
  • Janet
    11 months ago

Keen B - your floors are amazing!

Keen B thanked Janet
  • Liz888
    11 months ago

@keen b - beautiful floors

Keen B thanked Liz888
  • Keen B
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Thanks y'all. I went round and round on my floors trying to figure out that look, and then receiving a product that did not match sample, made us have to start all over. We got really lucky that they look the way I wanted from the start.

• 2rickies
    11 months ago

@Keen B the floors are beautiful!

Keen B thanked 2rickies
  • Laurel C
    11 months ago

We have more progress.

The septic system is installed, which allowed the septic inspector to give us our permanent electric release, the electric inspector came and let them set the meter housing on the house, and signed off on the inspection. I have a call in to the power company to move the meter from the temporary board over to the house. Once that board can be removed, our dirt guy can complete grading on the north side of the house and all of our grading should be done. Builders set the form boards for our step down that's running the length of the covered porch. The rest of the grading is complete, topsoil has been brought in, grass seeded, and straw mats laid down.

Drywall was delivered yesterday, and the drywallers are now installing it. Estimated time is 4-5 days, so it should be totally done by mid-next week. That progress is great, but we are doing a group camping trip at the farm this weekend (we have a rad camping spot in the woods) and I was hoping to just set up a hammock inside the house to sleep instead of dealing with putting our dog in a tent. Hopefully they don't get to the point of sanding til next week and I can crash there still.

And last, we have decided to do a yakisugi type finish for the siding that's going in the backside of the TV walls, those 2 panels have been treated as windows from the start, so we doing something other than the stained cedar shiplap. Builders are experimenting with the char and technique presently, and we need to decide on what type of oil to protect it with. I'm leaning towards boiled linseed oil, but i've read that it can attract mildew in certain exterior applications but haven't found much more information. If it's black already, i'm less worried about it, but i don't want it discoloring or looking weird, so i'm not sure. Anyone have any experience with exterior applications of oil?

• MSO_JEO MJ
    11 months ago

Hi everyone. It’s been a while since I posted. We are just a few days away from finishing up. It’s been a turbulent few weeks lately but we are almost at the finish line.

There are a few minor issues that the builder needs to take care of (the refrigerator opening is too small in spite of us giving the cabinet folks the dimensions - you’ll see that in the videos) minor paint touch ups, sod, and blow-in insulation in the attic (tomorrow). They also still n4eed to put in the shower doors.

The final cleanup happens on Monday also.

https://youtu.be/-7tqgPDliNo

https://youtu.be/RMyTFhjM8ak

https://youtu.be/6VQUEoMLjrw

The appriaser went out yesterday also. We hope to close everything at the middle or end of this coming week.

• Kelly M
    11 months ago

Things are progressing slowly. I posed a structural question to my inspector with favorable results, and the engineers sent me a first draft on the foundation design. I will have a phone conference with them on Tuesday to go over that 30% draft and answer any questions they have.

I will propose that they design a 6' cantilever balcony off the sunroom for me and get a cost estimate on that engineering and also what materials might be.

This balcony will act as a roof over the entry to keep the weather off, and it also breaks up the facade of the building and gives me a great place to use some alternate siding treatments.

I can design a 4' cantilever myself using the weyerhauser Trus-joist specifier guide, but I think a 6' deep balcony is quite a bit more functional.

Looking at my elevations, a couple of posts there would be awk-weird :)

• 2rickies
    11 months ago

@Laurel C So much exciting progress, and what a great camping spot in the woods!

@MSO_JEO MJ I enjoyed the videos--congrats on being nearly done!

@Kelly M the balcony over the entrance sounds like a cool idea.

Here's my update: things are happening at a brisk pace now (the builder seems happy!). Interior framing of bedroom wing going on, ceiling trusses are in. I got to walk around the basement! (They put in temp stairs.) Steel arrives Monday, and they'll start on the great room wing then and, I think the 2nd floor of the bedroom wing. We marked a few not-so-great trees to remove to open up the mountain view a little from the terrace (not in the photos). I hate taking trees down, but we have a forest, and we didn't have to remove any to build the house.

I took this one standing in my bathroom:

Here's the basement. At the far end there will be an exit, with stairs on the inside:

Looking through my bedroom "windows" toward the view:

Some sky drama:

• Kelly M
    11 months ago

Looking great @2rickies this pilot loves a dramatic sky.

I have to take a couple of trees but we are keeping a whole bluff of them. As soon as we get started I will be planting more where we want them

@Laurel C you are so close!

Thank you all for your inspirations.

• Keen B
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@2rickies Love your view...sigh. Trees. I have had several neighbor issues with trees. One of our closest friends bought and built on the lot next to ours. When the neighbor behind us was putting in a pool, he helped him remove trees that border our lots. I said, keep our hardwoods, take only the pines, please. Nope. Took them all down.

Since we purchased the lots simultaneously in 2017, he has had big plans to turn our end of the road into a round-about with parking so visitors and delivery trucks can easily turn around. (The rest of the road will probably never be developed, so we basically have a cul de sac). I've been telling him every single time he says this, do that with your lot, not mine. He wants to use our front yard.

Last week, we arrive to find he has dumped loads and loads of sand/fill in our yard, on the road and across the road (which butts a state forest), leveling it in prep for his big plan. He started telling me how he's going to take out this tree, that tree to make more parking across from my house. Ummmm. MY house. I said, I like those trees-one was a small magnolia, another something that smells good when blooming, but I have no idea what it used to be. Yes, used to be. When we weren't there one morning, he took them anyway. Talk about boundary issues.

Then one morning, he walked our property front and said, "You need to start thinking of the front of these three lots as communal property; we need to plan together how we are going to finish them and lay them out." Good Lord, really? I said, "Yeah, plan together? YOu mean like ignoring me when I say 'Keep those trees?'"

My plan is to have garden boxes all over the front, maybe even in the road, til the county tells me I have to move them. (In fact. we are not sure the county owns the road. There was some sort of legal dispute over the inheritor of the whole neighborhood's unclaimed parcels, and some dude managed to land many of the undeveloped roads.)

Anyway, Dh is going to have to set his dear friend straight about what is his and what is not his...I doubt our buddy would do this to a stranger-neighbor, but he might...

• Janet
    11 months ago

Keen B - oh no! That’s horrible that he is taking away trees. I am so sorry for all of those issues. That’s awful. I understand having to get rid of some trees, and I hate some types of trees (invasive or cause allergies). But talk about no boundaries! How disrespectful.

• 2rickies
    11 months ago

@Keen B--omg, that's so upsetting!!! Maybe it's time to put up a little temporary fencing. Barbed wire. Electrified. And get a big imposing outdoor guardian dog. I'm not kidding! How awful and sneaky that he did that after you specifically talked with him, too. I don't understand why someone would move to a place with a lot of trees just to take them down...for parking, no less...and without even considering which ones may have value for beauty, habitat, etc. I would be apoplectic. I hope you're able to work things out!

• Liz888
    11 months ago

@Laurel C - love your choices - It's all coming together! Don't know anything about yakisugi technique but I've seen it on hgtv and looks so cool. you need to let us know how it turns out!

@2rickies - we are right behind you in framing - about 2 weeks away! i like the dramatic sky!

@Keen B - so sorry to hear about your neighbor! I can relate, I have a neighbor who has been nothing but a pain and has been harassing me and even sending me letters from her lawyers. Its a long story (and we have it under control). I've been very clear with her about our rights and have everything documented JIC.

Need Advice - We are looking for front door right now (why is it soooo expensive!!). Does anyone have recommendation on door company that they've used? We are looking at modern door (48" wide/9 feet high) with side light. We are being quoted 10K. Is this within reason?

Making decent process foundation wall dirt has been leveled

• Laurel C
    11 months ago

Goodness, so much is up!

@Kelly M I think a cantilevered balcony could be really cool. Remind us again what your elevations look like?

@2rickies That's such good progress, and beautiful storm clouds!

@Keen B I don't know how you kept your cool, but I'm impressed. I'd be a ball of rage. We have a ton of trees and have still tried to save all of the not junky scrub trees as we can. I'd consider setting up a cell based trail camera that watches your lot lines and notifies you with a photo so you can call him up and ask him WTF he thinks he's doing before he causes too much damage. Remind him that your front yard is not part of some commune that he gets to make decisions about. Infuriating.

@Liz888 Thanks, i was really hoping to use that finish as a larger siding element, but as we shaved things due to budgetary reasons, it got cut. Our builder is really into japanese design/aesthetics too, so I think we're both happy to bring it back even in a little way.

As far as doors go, we were hoping to do something like a big pivot door, but it got nixed as we tried to keep the design simple, and realized that the house doesn't really need a statement door. We opted for a Sierra Pacific double front door, the matching single as the side, and they match all of our windows - aluminum clad wood. The single 38x86" door was in the neighborhood of $3k and the double 63x86" door was in the neighborhood of $7k (and these are just super simple glass doors with Hoppe locksets. I don't think that the $10k quote you're getting is outside of reasonable unfortunately, with the additional height and width, plus whatever cool stuff they're doing to the door.

Keen B thanked Laurel C
  • Kyla McSweeney
    11 months ago

Yikes on the trees. We got in trouble with the town conservation commission because my husband took down 2-3 almost dead trees in our lot before we started building. They have a plan for us to plant 54 trees on out lot... which we are planning to ignore. We live in the middle of the freaking woods. (see back deck picture)

Posting the picture of the beginning of my board and batten over our garage. Was going to wait til it was finished but didn't get over there today. Hopefully will get over during the weekend. I hope it is going to make our wood accents pop.

Our HVAC is also going in at the same time, hope they wrap it up soon and get electric and plumbing going. We are so anxious to get out of our rental and get this build finished.

Oh... Way Day was extended today... I bought over $400 of light fixtures yesterday. A total of 6 fixtures I think, so a bargain. Kids rooms and hall lights. I am hoping I didn't miss any... but probably did.

• Joy M
    11 months ago

@Keen B how are you holding up? Our build took 16 months and this one took a toll on me emotionally. As an owner builder, like you, it was challenging. Once we moved in we just crashed. For so long we were on the go with the build and just exhausted mentally and physically. We still haven’t finished cleaning out our other house to get it rental ready. We just don’t have the motivation at this point.

• Joy M
    11 months ago

Here’s some encouragement for all in the thick of building…..

• Keen B
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Joy M Holding up barely, thank you for asking. I am suffering fatigue over the whole thing. If Dh decided to sell it while I wasn't looking, I'd probably go, meh. (Actually, I have put so much of my own love into projects, I cannot imagine ever selling it. The antique door refinishes, the kitchen cabinet builds and stains, the mosaic in the shower, the plotting of the pink flamingo bathroom...and most of all the daily stalking of design and affordable hacks.)

I guess I missed the post that said you were finally, fully in. Yay! Congrats. And what did you do to the interior side of that front door? Products, technique?

It has been two years since we broke ground. Not sure we will get our CO before Sept. We still have to tile the shower, install the tub and toilet and vanity in Primary bathroom. We have to finish the kitchen cabinets (their doors are finished bu not attached, and find countertop that doesn't give my DH and his budget a stroke, but also fits all my desires. The porch rails are in progress right now...The yard/garden will probably stay unkempt forever at this rate, but we have to get up a fence for the dogs. I cannot walk them forever.

Even so, I would do this again, just like you did. But never again from a six hour drive away...

• Joy M
    11 months ago

@Keen B I feel for you! So much work, but so much reward!! If I remember correctly you have done quite a bit of the work yourselves and also have a hired person on site?

We subbed most of our work out, but there was always something for us to do, ie clean, source and order material. My husband did do all of the electrical. We moved in December 2022 with a few punch list items to complete. We installed the board and batten in the foyer, kitchen backsplash, and a storage closet shelves after we moved in. We (me) need to stain a few trim pieces and we’ve started working on our landscaping.

My husband is eager to build again, but I’m not ready yet. We have an incredible view that will be hard to beat. Our ultimate goal is a debt free home, on the water, or flat to have a pool… and a view!

The cost inflation prevented us from being mortgage free on this build, but it’s incredibly low thankfully.

Will you share your flamingo bathroom again please, I don’t remember it.

• Joy M
    11 months ago

Forgot to reply… our front door is actually a composite door. We stained the door but decided to paint the sidelights. We did stain all of the exterior though.

• Keen B
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Joy M I cannot imagine moving in in December and starting a whole new project 5 months later. Tell that man to take a breath! ANd yes, we are in the same boat financially. Originally we were certain we could be debt free on this one, but ridiculous costs, etc.. =Nope.

What stain colors did you use on the interior and then the outside? Ours is composite. I want it to match the bronze (nearly black) window frames on the exterior, but the pale, beige doors on the interior--though I might just go for a pop of color.

I will share the pink bathroom when it's all finished. The antique pink toilet might not work, afterall. Or it might just need a special wax ring...

I had to stop midway wallpapering on this last trip because I was ready to murder someone. I'm in love with the paper, and it's very high quality, but it's the most difficult paper I've even used. Here's my inspo board to give you an idea. (I've gotten flack on other threads for it, but I love it.) Haven't picked out light since electrician put single, too-short-connection right where ceiling meets wall. Not sure the one I have will work.

• K M
    11 months ago

Ok outside almost complete!

• MSO_JEO MJ
    11 months ago

Aside from sod and more gravel for the driveway, we are basically finished. The insulation guys were here this morning blowing in the rest of it. The plumber will connect the gas line to our backup generator on Monday and the builder has scheduled our final inspection for Monday afternoon.
    The bank sent the appraiser out on Wednesday and we hope to get that back on Monday or Tuesday also. If so, we should be complete,y finished by the end of next week.

• MSO_JEO MJ
    11 months ago

Oops - and the shower doors 😂 the builder will put them in early this coming week

• Kelly M
    11 months ago

@Laurel C here is a screenshot of the south elevation.

We would replace the 2nd window from the left corner of the upstairs with a full light door, and extend the balcony to that little window to the right. If I do the design I can go 4' out which is not much. I will talk to the engineer about it.

One idea that my brother and I brainstormed is a couple of knee posts back to the footing at an angle. It would add some drama.

I'll sketch it up and look at it.

picture that angled post going to either side of the entry., attaching to a bracket at the wall.

Colorado Contemporary · More Info

• Joy M
    11 months ago

@Keen B I LOVE your flamingo bathroom inspiration! Is this for a powder bath? I wouldn't necessarily pick this style for my home, but I applaud your choices and design style. A perk of building our home is just that, it is OUR HOME and not a builder basic. Perhaps the electrician just left an electrical drop in the bathroom with enough wire for future light decision / placement?

In regards to our door I'll have to look at the stain to share later. I know the exterior and interior are different stain colors and the exterior came out much darker than I thought it would. At the end of the day I feel like it's ok, but not wow. The interior was tricky because we have real wood french doors that are in the foyer as well as the composite front door.

@ K M your house is coming along. I don't know if it is the camera angle or not, but the scale and proportion of your house looks great IMHO!

• MSO_JEO MJ
    11 months ago

We got our certificate of occupancy yesterday. The bank is finalizing all of the paperwork now and we should sign it on Monday. We've scheduled movers for Tuesday, so the next couple of weeks will be busy. We still need to get a fence built, but we can manage the dogs on leashes until that happens. The cleaners were out yesterday, to do the final "clean up" inside and we will go out today or tomorrow to check it out.

Our appraisal came back quite a bit higher than what I was expecting but it put us at around 67% LTV which made me happy.

I'll post a final walk-through video here or start a new thread for it.

• Kyla McSweeney
    11 months ago

Is anyone starting a May, thread... I can do it

• agbhw
    11 months ago

Yes please start it Kyla!

• MSO_JEO MJ
    11 months ago

oh my ... I forgot it was May hahahaha

• Keen B
    Original Author
    11 months ago