SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_801926393

I really don't like my kitchen countertop

Susan Smith
last year

I wanna change it so bad but my husband is in love with this Granite. If someone has this type granite can show me how does there kitchen looks to get inspiration on how I could make it look nice like change backsplash or kitchen cabinets

Comments (123)

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

I'm not keeping that existing floor and I have not purchased that white galaxy I'm still looking around. I did get this tile so I now I need to work around this tile. I don't regret this at all so im willing to work around it

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

This is the tile I got

• Related Discussions

Help I can't get rid of my lambs ear and I really don't like it.

Q

Comments (18)
    I figure I could add something years later since other people added comments a year later. I moved into a rental house in Boulder, CO that had very well done perennial beds around the time this original post was written. It's been neglected for 7 or 8 years or so, especially the last 3 years. I can tell from Google maps the last year the lambs really took out for the rest of the beds and even the yard. I've been digging, pulling and now have covered an entire bed with clear plastic to kill the seeds before I'll consider planting there. The roots have formed an impenetrable mass and are sometimes thicker than my thumb. They have smaller roots finding them all together. I think if I were building a prairie Sod house I would be thrilled to find these. I'm constantly facing masses of sprouts and churning them over with hopes of killing most of them. We live in a Bee Safe neighborhood, and I don't think Round Up would have helped much anyway. I put an ad on craigslist and I've had many people haul garbage bags of plants away but eventually I got tired of answering the text-I think I had probably 50 people take A wavering amounts of these plants. I've never had them spread before but I stay on top of them, possibly since I use them in flower arrangements or pull them out as soon as they stray out of their designated area. I've discovered I now despise them and I don't think I'll ever let them grow again. I see them downwind from our yard and I'm tempted to go pull them now to spare them future agony- especially since it's likely the seeds came from here in the first place.
    ...See More

My laminate counter top smells like salami! I've cleaned and cleaned!

Q

Comments (21)
    I am actually relieved to learn someone else has this problem I thought I was losing my mind!! Help, I have this exact same problem, no salami cause, but I can't figure out why my laminate countertop in my 20 year old home has been smelling of salami for 3 weeks now. I can't stand it! Why does it stink and how can I fix it? Anybody solve the problem effectively?
    ...See More

counter-depth refrigerators: most don't seem to be counter depth.

Q

Comments (25)
    Why Hamma? Because most Americans say they need humongous refrigerators/freezers. I hear people say they need to store the meat they killed on a hunt. They have very large parties every weekend. They cater large parties. They have many children who need many snacks all day long. Maybe they live many miles away from the nearest grocery store or supermarket. One of the posters above mentioned pizza boxes and soda/beer can boxes. (Not sure why you'd need to put a whole pizza or beverage box in the fridge.) Personally I have none of those issues. I do not like nor need a large hulking refrigerator. Counter depth is a cost-effective way to avoid the behemoth fridge look in the kitchen. Yes, they do protrude a few inches, but not as much as a conventional depth one. I have the same KA counter depth fridge (cost $2,000) as Anglophilia in my vacation rental home, and after 7 years it's still working fine, and looks great. In my primary residence we went for a 42" side by side built in Subzero, which protrudes only about 2", but is much more expensive ($9,000 retail). Fully integrated Subzeros are totally flush with the cabinets, and require expert installers.
    ...See More

I don’t know what to pick for my backsplash. I have gray counters, whi

Q

Comments (2)
    Yup...we won’t be able to help you, until you post pics.
    ...See More
  • rebunky
    last year

What is the name or brand of the floor tile? That piece in the photo doesn’t look like an actual floor tile with that wonky edge shape.

I would definitely not do that white galaxy granite if that is your chosen floor tile. I don’t think they look good together.

You can pick a busy floor with a plain sedate counter, or a busy counter with a plain floor. But when put together they complete for attention and neither one stands out. They just fight and clash.

So are you keeping the existing cabinets then? I was hoping you were replacing them. So do you plan on someday in the foreseeable future replacing them with Ikea or other new cabinets?

I think spending all that money on new stone countertops is a total waste. I would never put new stone on top of those very old builder grade cabinets unless it was a very inexpensive laminate countertop.

Those single top drawer with doors underneath are the cheapest off the shelf you can get and they are probably 20 years old. I would rather replace the kitchen cabinets and countertops at the same time. If you don’t have enough money for the flooring too, then I would wait to do the flooring.

I hate this old saying, but doing new on top of old is said to be like “putting lipstick on a pig”.

Of course you do whatever you think best, but that is just what I would do. Hope it turns out and enjoy you new spacious home!

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

No we decided to replace everything in kitchen cabinets countertops n backsplash everything gonna be new

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

N tile is from home depot it's called Aria oro Polished Porcelain Floor

• rebunky
    last year
    last modified: last year

Oh that’s awesome to hear!

So what color cabinets are you drawn to? Wood? White? A color?

Will you be doing Ikea cabinets or will you be purchasing them from Home Depot or somewhere else?

Now we can help you fine tune any layout changes too. Do as many drawer bases as possible.

We can also help you choose the cabinet color, stone countertop, and wall color, that will all harmonize with the already purchased flooring.

Can you get a sample door from the cabinet line you like? That way you can take it to the stone yard to hold up to the different slabs. Bring a piece of the floor tile as well. Take photos of the two or three slabs you like best and then you can post back here. I would look at the more subtle stones with the least amount of movement or pattern.

if you want help now on the layout please post a simple drawing on graph paper or even just plain paper showing all the kitchen and surrounding wall dimensions in feet and inches. Doesn’t have to be perfectly to scale. Or wait and post drawings from the cabinet designer, but make sure to get the overhead floorplan view with the dimentions listed.

So much potential. I’m excited for you!

Also check out this thread. It has so much info on how to get the best kitchen you can. It also has info on how to draw your existing layout and ask for layout help. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5972404/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-2020-interim#n=10

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

I'm see if the person who doing my kitchen can send me the graph because I did couple of change to the kitchen I added on some pantry cabinets on far left hand side and the island I ask him to make it one big island instead of it being level up he did couple graphing looking pretty nice. I'll post it soon but right now I need to find countertops that matches with the floor so please any recommendations that would go perfect with Msi aria oro tile

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

This is same flooring as what I'm doing. And only countertop I'm able to find that goes with the Msi aria oro

• rebunky
    last year

We need to know what the cabinets look like first. That is an important element to consider as well as the floor when choosing a stone countertop.

For example you can say, ”They are white cabinets”. But there are a million shades of white. So we need to know which white it is. Photos of the cabinet color and style helps too.

What is the the cabinet brand, the exact color, and the door style?

Are you open to man made Quartz counters or do you want a natural stone?

Is there a budget for the countertops you need to stick too or can you chose a more expensive stone like a Quartzite?

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

I haven't thought about cabinets much but thanx for letting me know I'm look into that before countertops. For the stone we are interested in granite some options I seen but don't know if it will match the tile

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

Some idea of cabinet

• Rachel
    last year

I'm worried that the countertop you selected will be too cool next to the flooring you posted. Both are fine . . . but probably not together.

• shirlpp
    last year

You need to take your flooring and cabinets to the granite yard and choose from there.

A word of caution about MSI tile. They discontinue tile all the time, so ensure that the quantity you need is available.

I'm using MSI porcelain in my master bathroom, laundry room and 1/2 bath and bought quite a bit of extra because once the current quantity is sold - that's it.

I also bought it from Build.com because there prices were cheaper than HD. I had to make phone calls to ensure that the tile from both places were the same.

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

Ya I have order 3 pallet of this msi

• Debbie Downer
    last year

Well, again, Id advise coming up with a comprehensive plan vs piecemeal decisions, but in any event - good luck! Does anyone know if there is a -way to turn off notifications, I tried deleting my post but still getting them. Usually I can ignore but there are so many!

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

From what I understand you have the new floor tile. It might be nice individually but defninately not with this countertop which is very busy (like what you presently have) and too gray to go with the flooring tile.

Before buying anything, I recommend you decide on cabinets (style & colour), then look at countertops that will coordinate with the cabinets and flooring. After all that is done, then you look into wall colour.

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

What about this

• shirlpp
    last year

I would go with hardwood floors throughout the entire first floor.

• rebunky
    last year

Yes hard wood floors would have been great shirlpp. Or as I mentioned further up a wood look LVP would have been so much better then that tile.

Susan, is it too late to return the tile order? It has only been a couple days. It is so limiting and makes chosing every other material difficult. Pinky or peachy beige floors are the worst to work with imho.

But if you love the tile, then tile it is. No problem, it just makes things super complicated.

As I said earlier, the swirly peachy toned tile is going to make the countertop choice tricky. You don’t want to add a second swirly or busy granite to the mix because it will compete with those floors. You do not want to add a countertop that is also swirly and has a peachy tone. It will be peach overload.

My big red danger sign is flashing and a hideous loud beeping is going off at all those granite pictures next to the tile. Sorry 😞

You really need to decide on if you want the wood color cabinets or the white cabinets first. Then move to countertop.

I am afraid you have locked yourself into getting a very sedate or solid colored countertop with those floors. I feel that every stone picture you showed above is too busy.

The only way picking the countertop first works is if you had not already chosen the flooring first. Then the granite would determined what the floor and cabinet color would be.

Where are you purchasing the cabinets? Amazon? Online? I have never heard of that.

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

So granite won't go with tile ? What goes with granite wood floor? And cabinets are from a store located where I live they gave me this website to visualize. And I went with white cabinets

• Allison0704
    last year

You're wasting your time until you select your cabinet color, and take a sample door with you to look at tile and countertop materials. (I would say take tile sample to pick out the cabinet color and countertop material, but it reads like you've changed your mind.)

The HD tile - is it polished, as photo shows above? That is not good for traction and will show everything, including spots. Polished flooring is a PITA to keep clean.

Consider doing the entire first floor in the same hardwood. Look at engineered wood flooring.

I think you are going at lightning speed for someone that isn't sure of herself when it comes to decorating, otherwise you would not be here asking so many questions. Many of your questions show examples of materials that do not go together. I understand remodeling with children. We not only gutted kitchens and bathrooms (not at the same time), but also added an upstairs to our first home, while having three elementary age children. It can be done in phases.

Our last home was a full remodel with gutting of kitchen, two bathrooms and powder room and other things done to every single room. It took 7 months and that was with DH acting as contractor, DH being there daily working. I was there almost every day. We also have 40yrs of experience with building and remodeling. I only tell you this in hopes you will step back and see you cannot rush things. Or else it seems you will end up with a house you do not like any better than it is now.

While there are experienced people here that can help along the way, photographs posted online are not the same as seeing materials in person. You need a local decorator, interior designer and/or a kitchen designer. Show them photos of finished spaces that you like so they will know what style you desire.

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

Stone warehouse USA. Fabricator who works their help us walk through warehouse first we pick cabinets(it's white) and than we brought tile with us and ask them to match it for us. I know it's not your ideal to have tile in the house for you guys which is mind blowing to us because at first I was very interested in hardwood floors before I found this app so we was asking our friends who homeowners n couple of Contractor they told us we be dum to put hardwood floors on first floor it be our biggest mistake and now we got tile apparently that's our mistake lol never a win but I'm vinyl look for upstairs(attach a picture) I know it probably be hated on to but it's from the information we getting from these Contractor we went with but one thing I know for sure my house won't be looking mix match like previous owner

• Allison0704
    last year

Why did he say it would be your biggest mistake? FYI some contractors will say something when they want to sell something, or what is best for them.

I've had tile in one kitchen, two houses ago (kitchen and lower level - den, bathrooms and three bedrooms). Tile is harder on the feet than wood. Are you on a slab?

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    last year

No I haven't pick out slab still looking and I don't why he said that but it was multiple ppl even ppl who works at floor and decor

• Allison0704
    last year

I was asking if your house is built on a slab (poured concrete) vs a raised foundation (wood).

• cpartist
    last year

You really need to find an interior designer to help you put everything together. Not someone from one of the mass stores like F & D or HD but an actual designer.

You are doing everything piecemeal and it's showing that you don't know what you don't know. Please do yourself a HUGE favor and get help with the design.

And I had a 2 year old and redid my whole kitchen way back in the late 80s. It can be done.

Additionally, tile is very hard on backs and knees versus hardwood flooring or LVP. I would NEVER choose tile for my house over hardwood (or engineered hardwood) or LVP.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

@cpartist and @Allison0704 I expressed the same sentiments over 5 days ago about renovating with kids in the house and waiting until having a plan before going forward. Fell on deaf ears. This person is just going around in circles and will be for a very long time. Buh-bye!

• btydrvn
    last year

I am on the record as a big fan of LVP…but I will say some colors and brands look more believable…plus the ones with ridges that imitate wood grain… look more like real wood

• btydrvn
    last year

Avoid any shiny finished ones..as they show every speck of dust and soil…

• Debbie Downer
    last year

Agree that this all needs to be looked at wholistically, not piecemeal - this has evolved beyond what to do about a color discrepancy between one or two things to major reno. Need to consider color of cabinets AND floor, AND counters, AND backsplash all together - and yes wall/ trim color too. Yes paint is purchased last and exact nuance/shade chosen once everything is in .... but you should still have an idea where you're going with paint colors from the beginning.

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

If you are trying for a calmer, coordinated, less busy and chaotic look, I’d go with wood flooring (or LVP if you feel you must) throughout, rather than tile- especially not that pinky, peachy, busy tile you showed. That flooring is going to make everything else more difficult. Tile is harder- not only on your feet and legs, but harder to keep clean. Everyone is advising you to slow down, and to hire a designer to help you come up with a plan before you throw huge sums of money away. Listen to them. If you absolutely cannot cannot cannot wait, just do wood (hardwood or engineered) floors (not gray and not busy) throughout the first floor, and white everything else- that, at least, will not be horrible.

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

^^^ ETA that it’s not that I think white everything is a great choice- it just seems like the least objectionable choice for someone who simply cannot wait to consider the best options for their home.

• rebunky
    last year

I agree with everyone’s advice.

Susan, you seem like you want to make all the choices right now yourself, with the help of only the store you are purchasing them from. You do not seem open to waiting longer for help from a professional designer.

So, based on that, if I was having to chose today solely out of what materials you have posted above so far, I would go with this combination.

Please, please don’t listen to those pushing you into doing that porcelain tile! It really is a terrible choice.

Do the Luxury Vinyl wood Plank you showed above throughout the whole house. It looks like it is a nice uniform medium brown color that will go with just about anything.

Hopefully it is a reputable brand of LVP with a thick wear layer and does not easily scratch. Test it for stratch resistance, Research the reviews. The good ones are not cheap. They are minimum of $6-7 a square foot. But it is worth the higher cost because the cheap ones don’t stand the test of time.

I think the white cabinets you showed above will be fine with that flooring

It is hard to judge from a photo whether the white cabinet paint will match well with the white background color of the White Macabus quartzite. But, if it did, that combination would look super pretty!

• shirlpp
    last year

Ummm....maybe what you are doing - not working with a professional.

You have a beautiful home and the funds to make it your dream - Don't mess it up!

• freedomplace1
    last year

And when you take into consideration that there was ZERO wrong with the granitestone she started with ( i.e. the granite that her HUSBAND LIKES ) so yes - it is apparently just another ridiculous day - at this ridiculous office.

And DO NOT respond to me about the granite being ”dated.” That’s nothing but this mindless throw away society/ herd thinking - and/or personal preference. NOT FACTUAL - in terms of anything that makes any kind of sense. Ancient granite stone CANNOT be “dated.”

• shirlpp
    last year

You go girl! @freedomplace1

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Update 😫

• cpartist
    11 months ago

Why did you put a backspash on the pantry cabinet?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Get that off the pantry cabinet wall. Please? Design over think, and truly unnecessary. WAH. : ( indeed.

• Susan Smith
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Oh the walls hasn't been painted the kitchen isn't done yet

• shirlpp
    11 months ago

Yes - we can see that the kitchen is not done.

• rebunky
    11 months ago

“Update 😫”

Oh Susan….I am so, so sorry this happened. I was hoping you would come back with a fabulous kitchen to show us, but feared this might happen.

Why oh why didn’t you come back here for help before picking out that cool-toned grayish backsplash tile to pair with that warm toned countertop?

The bright white cabinets don’t look great with the counter, but at least you might have had a chance to salvage it somehow with the right color tile for the backsplash, the right flooring, and the right color walls. The granite counters are pretty, but the bright cool white color cabinets do not compliment the stone well at all.

Didn’t you say were doing all new cabinets?

I see you got the new pantry cabinet, the desk, and panels for the back of the island. Hey, at least that awful tile on the island is gone! 😆

So the old cabinets just look primed. Are you attempting to paint the old cabinets the same color white as the new cabinets?

First off, I would remove that tile backsplash and fire whoever talked you into pairing that with the granite. Also fire the installer who tiled the side of a stinkin’ cabinet. I mean who even does that!!!

The right side of the pantry wall should not have been tiled either.

Are you still planning to install that peachish tan swirled large format tile on the floors? Because that will only compound the problem.

I know you are trying so hard to have a nice beautiful new kitchen and home. It will be ok, but I do think the backsplash needs to go ASAP. Don’t let anyone else touch a thing until you get a total plan in place for the rest of the materials, wall color, etc etc…

We can try and help you fix this as best as we can. But I will say, this is the perfect example where following the advice to hire a professional designer might have actually saved you money, tears, regret, and disappointment. Worth the $ spent to have a gorgeous home that you will love for the next 20 years.

• shirlpp
    11 months ago

You could have asked about pendants on this thread. Not sure why you started another.

• Debbie Downer
    11 months ago

Well, I can guess why LOL.

The situation here is no different from 90% of posts on this forum where people are making piecemeal color decisions instead of creating wholistic color schemes - theres too much "what wall color goes with this jumbled assortment of miscellaneous cool and warm colors" Many (not all) with "pro" after their names arent of much help - advising people to get their furnishings before choosing paint colors - well no, they should have at least a rough idea of color scheme including wall color from the beginning, although yes the exact paint color is not finalized until the end.

Btw, sure wish we could choose to not receive notifications about posts we dont wish to follow anymore. I know I should be able o just ignore them but..... what can I say! Curiosity gets the best of me sometimes....

• blfenton
    11 months ago

Are the cabinets finished being painted?

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    11 months ago

"Btw, sure wish we could choose to not receive notifications about posts we dont wish to follow anymore. I know I should be able o just ignore them but..... what can I say! Curiosity gets the best of me sometimes...."

Click on where it says "Click to switch off email notifications about new comments" at the bottom of the thread.

• shirlpp
    11 months ago

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    11 months ago

Well, mine looks like this, but yeah, that thing.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 months ago

What time should the turkey go in the oven?

So it is with many posts, here.

What color should I paint my walls?

Does this go with this? Do you like this light over a dining table, with this pendant over my sink? Where's your sink and in what kitchen we ask.

Just as with the turkey query, there's no context provided ; just a million possible ways to get a lousy ill timed Thanksgiving dinner or a house jumble and tears.

The turkey will be eaten with other foods, some need to be hot, some cold. They usually need to arrive at the table same time, despite different cook times, flavors, and textures all.

There are relationships with paint, with tile, with cabinetry and flooring. With counter tops.

We ask for the "what else, the with what rug, what sofa color ,what painting on the wall.....SOMETHING..... !!!! because we need a context. Otherwise? You paint walls white and plan a do over for later. One decision begets another, and just as often? Falling in love with ONE thing, means falling OUT of love with something else. If not? You get the idea what can happen, just scrolling up.

• chloebud
    11 months ago

@Debbie Downer, you can opt out of notifications both here in the thread (as BlueberryBundtcake shows), or in the email you get (shown by shirlpp).

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz