SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jheath4

Black Granite countertops have to go!

Jamie Heath
last year

We are looking to update our kitchen and would love advice from the pros! We have debated whether or not to keep our black granite countertops since we bought the home (just a year ago) but I really feel they need go. I don't mind the black look, but they are very difficult to keep clean and I think the curved edges instantly date the kitchen.

Updates we want: new countertops, new backsplash, center range hood, the hutch

What's off limits: Wall color (it has all been painted White Dove when we moved in), Painting ALL of the cabinets (we are considering painting some - hutch, island and/or range cover but keeping the majority of the wood look, and the flooring was new when we bought the home so that is staying (although I don't love how much it matches the cabinets today)

What would you do to update this kitchen? Any advice on countertop and tile direction to bring it into 2023?

Comments (40)

• kandrewspa
    last year

It is heartbreaking that granite is landfilled because of fashion. I'm guessing the real problem is that the style of this kitchen is traditional and faintly 2000's Tuscan whereas your style is considerably more modern. The counter stools don't go with the style of the kitchen. If I were you I would be looking into refacing as I don't think you're ever going to like those cabinets. To me they are going to hold you back from realizing your style more than the countertop. Unfortunately, refacing is almost as expensive as complete replacement because doors are the most expensive part of a cabinet, but the process is less disruptive. But you have to decide what your budget is and if the counters truly bother you more than the cabinets then look at Taj Mahal or something else subtle and warm. I don't think a white-white would work here. The hutch could be a warm white or off white, blue, green or charcoal.

• Related Discussions

sink to go with honed black granite?

Q

Comments (7)
    We put in leathered absolute black around the perimeter with an undermounted white Kohler cast iron sink. It looks great. I wanted contrast since we were using white cabinetry. We've been in our house a little over two weeks and I'm loving our counters so far. I use Method Daily Granite to clean and don't miss having to use elbow grease to keep fingerprints off the polished dark surface. We had dark polished countertops in our prior house and they were a pain. I'm finding that these do show rings sometimes but a quick wipe takes care of it. They're very easy.
    ...See More

I have white gazed kitchen cabinets with black and black granite

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Kesposito39, people will be able to help you more if you attach pictures of the kitchen.
    ...See More

Paint color to go with cosmic black granite

Q

Comments (9)
    I think it's much easier to find the tone that would go with black granite than with the cream cabinets. And you actually need to find the right tone that will balance out the whole space and tie elements together. What are the other colors in your kitchen? It may be helpful to see the rest of the kitchen before making a suggestion. But by looking at your cabinets, floor, and granite, I believe cold tones of beiges or grays would work well.
    ...See More

Maybe you should go pro.

Q

Comments (64)
    @Ally De, if it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down. That's the end of my prohood, for now. Just as an example, and not a really great one, but I don't want to look for a better one, I ran across this post where only posts from "pros" received acknowledgment from the OP. And it's not because other posters' suggestions were inferior: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6361443/black-granite-countertops-have-to-go#n=40 I think that if all who responded to the post had had PRO tags, the poster would have had so many more ideas to draw from...it saddens me to think that she has artificially limited herself due to a silly tag that any schmoe can assign to themself. bwahahahaha
    ...See More
  • thinkdesignlive
    last year

Good advice from the two above

• palimpsest
    last year

Maybe you can get them honed in place? I am not sure. They would be less reflective and easier to keep clean.

• HU-918119203
    last year

What is it about the kitchen you dislike? What style of kitchen do you like? Do you have inspiration photos? If you were creating a kitchen from scratch, what would it look like?

I get that you want to "update" it, but without a coherent direction, you're not likely to be happy with the final result. And comments are going to consist of people throwing things against the wall to see what sticks.

• Lee M
    last year

I agree w the above. I’d look at the lights, the stools, the backsplash for updates first.

• Joseph Babcock
    last year

The flip side is that lighter color countertops stain more easily; black granite is sufficiently dense it sometimes doesn’t need to be sealed. I would agree that adding new countertops on top of raised panel partial overlay cabinets (painted or not) may not achieve the modern look.

• Jamie Heath
    Original Author
    last year

I certainly don't WANT to replace the granite as they are super high quality. We can't replace everything so we are weighing the options between cabinetry updates and countertops. If you have recommendations about cabinet updates that would help make the black granite feel fresh and modern, then open to that too but I just hadn't found those options today and like I said, the curved design of the granite install looks very dated. Here are a few pics I had saved of styles I like with black granite - but it just doesn't seem to be achievable with what I am working with.

• Lee M
    last year

Also the hood, faucets - those are the updates I would make. I don’t think a new counter will give you the result you want.

• H202
    last year

I don't think a new countertop is going to dramatically modernize this kitchen. I also think the cabinets are nicer than a lot of the heavy wood from that era, so agree with you to keep them without painting.

I would:

- get countertop sawed down to make the island a rectangle. (can that be done??)

- replace backsplash - i think that is the most dating thing in your room

- new faucet

- see if you can get rid of the arch things under the countertop and replace with something more modern - like just a clean lined metal L bracket that connects with the light fixture above. Again i have no idea if possible, but worth spending 30 minutes googling.

- And likewise i'd see if i could get rid of the curved wood above the cooktop and replace it with something that's not curved wood. I'm not sure what that is. Maybe a stainless simple box that ties in with the appliances? That might work, or might stand out. But something like that.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Hi. What you don't want to do is to update the kitchen.....then it is out of date again in a few years.

So, I really encourage you to go timeless.

I actually love the curve on the island, as it repeats the eyebrow in the doorways as well as the hutch. However, not horrible if you want to remove.

Photo below more formal likely than you want, but gives you an idea.

Recommnedations:

1) I normally don't recommend 2-tone cabinets, but in this case, I would paint the island cabinets a lighter color. I would keep the hutch darker as it adds a nice visual balance for the kitchen cabi nets.

2) Remove the small area of tile to the right of the coffee maker.

3) Cover entire kitchen cabinet wall with tile. Very little extra actual tile and great impact.

4) Cover entire hutch wall with tile. Again, very little extra tile but pulls hutch into kitchen and repeats tile.

5) Hood depends on what look you want exactly. Could be simple stainless steel.

6) Remove corbels from island.

7) I like the color tone of the tile.....would do something similar as far as color. For timeless use subway but you can do a different pattern from standard brick pattern.

8) Hutch: right now it has no purpose. Set it up as a functioning coffee bar or wine.liqour area. This is an amazing feature that could be awesome!

9) Light countertops.

• beeboo22
    last year

“Go timeless” is the best advice

• palimpsest
    last year

What you currently have is a pretty solid example of a kitchen in a style from a while back that is currently not the height of fashion. It all works really well together, and it doesn't really have the elements that would make it even more obviously dated and objectionable to people who think houses and fashion go hand in hand. You don't have the overwrought backsplash with colored glass mixed in, or the the ornamental feature over the range. with its own design or the curlicue lighting fixtures(yours looks newer but is a good fit), or the highly figured gold and brown granites. So yes it's "dated", but only in the sense that it's not a white kitchen that was finished last year.

Design should be all of a piece, and I think if you try to change a little bit of this and a little bit of that in an attempt to "update" it, and make it "more current", you run the risk of turning it into a real hodgepodge that is no longer a cohesively designed older kitchen, but is also not a good-looking new kitchen either, and it has the potential of cheapening it's appearance, too. It's sort of like aging celebrities who have plastic surgery and try to dress like they are 35 instead of 60, when they would probably be a perfectly good looking 60 year old if they had just left well enough alone.

This doesn't mean that you need to treat it like a museum piece and not change anything, but I think you have to chose the updates carefully so they still work with what you have, instead of partly trying to turn it into something else.

• Paul F.
    last year

I think new stone and backsplash along with removing and replacing the oven hood woodwork would dramatically improve the dated look of the cabinets. Don't overthink it.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

In my opinion, the black countertop are fine. I misunderstood, though. I thought you wanted to change the countertops.

A few years ago, very squared off kitchens were in. Now, more curved lines are trending in design. So, guess what......your curve is in style. And I predict it will go out of style in a few years.

So, best to just follow the lines of your home, which have curves.

The exact inspo photo you show probably is not achievable, but close.

One thing you could do is to have the crown molding on the cabinets removed. Replace it with a simple molding. That would be a huge change.

First step in a design is to collect inspo photos, so you are getting there.

Can you show a photo of the adjacent family room? Are there other features like a fireplace that we need to consider?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I like the countertops! I wonder if you can have the finish honed on site. The only problem with polished black counters is the fingerprints--I had them in my last kitchen and I was forever wiping them down. But a honed finish would be really nice and would work well with your cabinets.

The only update I'd make is a change to your light fixture over the island. You can do better.

• Jamie Heath
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Sabrina. Any suggestions for a better light fixture in this space? I fell in love with this one when we first moved in but I agree, it's not just working exactly as I'd hoped.

• dani_m08
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC - can the curve of the island countertop be changed without destroying the granite? Similar question, can the edge be changed to more squared off (eased edge?) instead of how rounded off they are currently?

If the answer to above questions are ”yes” - then by changing the current backsplash tile to Bedrosian Cloe White 5” square would make your kitchen look similar to the kitchen in your first photo. You could also change the hood by having a faux plaster hood which would mimic the hood in the first photo. I’ve seen people who have done this type of an update by boxing out the current hood and adding some type of feather finish (like Ardex). I’ve also seen kitchens where the Cloe White tile has been continued around the hood (again, you would have the hood boxed out with cbu or something and then have it tiled along with the backsplash).

Just some random thoughts from someome who barely slept last night LOL!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Take a look at this kitchen. The cabinetry is transitional and the island cabinetry even leans traditional. Yet, my painting some elements a lighter color and bringing in organic elements the kitchen feels very "today". Also light fixture updated as well as hardware. Chairs are a real statement.

Imagine this same kitchen with very traditonal light fixture and a formal vase of flowers, etc. More traditional chari. It would still work! A timeless kitchen.

Good news is your kitchen can easily be that. It has great bones. You just need a little updating.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

Maybe do globe fixtures with a black finish?

New Jersey Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Mitzi Renee 1-Light Pendant E26 Medium Base Opal Glossy, Polished Nickel/Black · More Info

• cat_ky
    last year
    last modified: last year

Its a nice kitchen. It doesnt have to look like it was put in yesterday. Ones put in yesterday, will look dated in a month too. I wouldnt change much at all. I would paint the island, and no, do not remove the corbels. They are support for your countertop. Better lighting so it is brighter, would make it look nicer too. Its also very refreshing to see a kitchen, that isnt all white, these days.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

I wish I could get your countertops. It is so sad to see something so nice that is throwed in the trash for a much lesser item. Oh well, you you be in style, too bad.

• Jamie Heath
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks CDR Design! Great advice. Here are some images of the adjacent spaces that surround the kitchen - a hearth and seating area and a breakfast table space (formal timing is next to the living room). Both of these spaces need more updates as well. All a work in progress! I have another design challenge posted specific to the Hearth area. :)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I very much agree with several of the previous points made.

Your counter is fine, the cabinets are fairly timeless too, because they are fairly simple in style - but the hood with shelf is not, the decorative backsplash the light fixture is mis-sized (its elements are too small) and not the correct style for the overall design, the woven back stools are also not a good style to fit (which stools are the current ones?). I also dislike the backsplash design.

Honing the granite is a good idea if it is possible to do in place at reasonable cost - that removes some of the "hard to keep clean" issue.

Replace the decorative hood with stainless steel to match the oven/fridge wall; replace the tile (you can bring in a hint of color here, but choose a light and simpler style), replace the stools if the woven back ones are yours (use elsewhere or sell); look for a light fixture that is rather more substantial (but take care to not over size it) - I think with elements of opaque white glass and stainless or black.

More work would be to change out the counter corbels to less visible, simple supports (would probably require finish touch up) and to also change out the arch in the buffet to a straight piece.

You can add either a tile back or painted finish to the rear of the buffet by tiling or painting a thin board that is cut to fit snugly - so you can make that change without making it permanent.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

My best advice to you......before you do one thing....have an overall plan. Everything has to work together. You can execute one area at a time. But, you have to have an overall plan.

Wil save you $. Example, the grey mantle will not work with your current plans for the kitchen.

Also, functionally.....tv is soooo high. Do you want the fireplace/use it?

• Jamie Heath
    Original Author
    last year

We do use the fireplace. The hutch wall is also the TV wall for the living room on the other side so we have no fireplace in the living room. The TV does feel high from the couch seating but not when you are in the full room space - breakfast table / kitchen. I am wondering if the straight on couch choice was a bad decision. Vs. chairs on the sides.

• Lee M
    last year

On the backsplash - in one photo you show the Chloe tiles. I think you’ll find a nice subway tile to be more timeless and will fit with your cabinets. One of my friends has Bread and Butter white matte subway tile in her kitchen and they are lovely. From Tempest Tile in Portland.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Got it. That is more of a keeping room and viewed from distance.

If you are keeping granite, you might consider using the new kitchen tile on the fp and then painting the mantle black.

Problem with 2 chairs by fp is that door to the porch. I'll bet you use that alot.

Yes, I think you could reconsider the sofa.

Can you please take a photo standing by that plant by the frig. I'd like a better idea of the entire fireplace area, Thanks.

• kl23
    last year

@Jamie Heath I sympathize. I think you will be happier with whatever you do if you stop focusing on terms like dated/timeless and focus instead on what you like and don't like.

• K Laurence
    last year

Agree with Joseph Corlett . Unless you have no children to send to college I would use the $ spent on a luxury Mediterranean cruise. But I realize it’s your house & your $ .

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I'm looking at the rooms that surround the kitchen

I'd paint the cabinets.....before anything. Doesn't have to be white, but I can see what may be bothering you. It just feels darkly heavy, compared with the rest in yonder.

Depends budget.........or simply wait is out for the dream kitchen.

Which looks like.....what: )? Insp....add a few

• Kendrah
    last year

I gotta say, I hate granite countertops but for some reason I like yours. Still, I totally get why you are not in love with this kitchen. Forget what everyone is saying about trends and datedness. Your kitchen looks date, you don't like it, and you can start with some basic changes. This is pretty much what others have already suggested:

New hood, new backsplash, change counter brackets to metal L brackets that will blend in and be less obtrusive. New lighting is an easy one. Get quotes for having the hutch painted the same color as your walls. If you get it painted, remove the curved trim on the open parts . First measure, get a few hardware samples to try out. An immediate fix that will make you feel better.

• kl23
    last year

@Jamie Heath may I ask please why wouldn't you want all new flat panel full overlay cabinets to go with all the other changes?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

I don't see anything wrong with this kitchen other than it is definitely darker and heavier than the light gray of the surrounding rooms. Not sure why anyone sees "Tuscan" here--it's raised panel cabinetry with no extraneous ornamentation.

You say you want a different range hood--I would advise against any chimney hood squeezed between cabinets. You could get a stainless hood that spans the space and eliminates the stacked cabinetry, which was never a good idea in its day.

Painting the cabinets would do a lot for freshening up the space, as would a new backsplash. However, the inspiration photos you showed with dark cabinets, black granite and white backsplash are lovely. But if you are set on painting, since you have so much gray in the house, you could select a color for the cabinets--blue or green would be very nice, and perhaps keep the hutch as is for a bit of contrast.

• jtkaybean
    last year

@Jamie Heath your kitchen and house is beautiful!I know most won’t agree but if you don’t like dark granite replace.I had it in my old house pita to keep clean showed every water mark.I never did grow to love it,even with light cabinets and backsplash.

Maybe you can reuse it (laundry room)or donate it? I think it’s too dark with your lovely cabinets.If you don’t replace, maybe lighten up by putting glass in upper cabinets by hood?Lighter backsplash would look nice. It’s my understanding you can’t hone or leather in place.Counters will need to be removed,a lot to the process and $$$

Your inspiration pic above,is that truly your inspiration?

• Kendrah
    last year

Also, replace the chunky wood railing on your stairs with something more contemporary looking.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"@Joseph Corlett, LLC - can the curve of the island countertop be changed without destroying the granite? Similar question, can the edge be changed to more squared off (eased edge?) instead of how rounded off they are currently?"

Technically, yes to both questions, however, you'd be pushing the boundaries of cost effectiveness.

• HU-787167202
    last year

Beautiful is never out dated

• dani_m08
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC - I had a feeling that was going to be your answer!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

I wouldn't waste any money on changing either the curve or the rounded edges of the granite. It certainly is not offensive, even if it's not what you'd choose today. I'd either keep it or get new counter tops.