SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_618897318

What style range hood is this?

Chris H
last year

I am not finding this shape when I google “wood range hood”, which is what I assume this is. Can someone tell me what specific style this is? Also, I’d love to see your pictures if you have it! Thank you :)

Comments (29)

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

Specifically I’m drawn to the way this is “connected” with the cabinets and there is no gap.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

That is a custom hood installed as part of the overall cabinetry installation. Any custom millworker could build that in their sleep. If you want to purchase a separate hood that is similar to that you can but then the planning and spacing of your side cabinets will need to change as you do not want them to butt to each other like your photo shows.

Chris H thanked thinkdesignlive
  • Related Discussions

Hood: power req'd for pro-style range

Q

Comments (4)
    Kobe is a traditional baffle style hood - VAH uses their own baffleless design. Many fans of VAH on this forum but a number of people complain about how difficult it is to clean and peeling finish. Search on the forum for various opinions.
    ...See More

How do I install an exhaust vent for a chimney-style range hood?

Q

Comments (3)
    If your hood is on an outside wall, your not going to want to protrude through the roof too close to an overhang, especially if you are in cold country with ice dam concerns.You would have to elbow up to a higher location.In our area,a fire stop is required where the ducting enters the cieling/attic with any framing required to be 2" away from the duct.A fire stop is a sheet metal jack that accepts the ducting in the center.The fire stop is attached in your attic to cieling joists or blocking or both.The fire stop isn't so much for heat,as hoods aren't high heat,but are required to slow fire through penetrations.Your roof sheathing should be cut 2" larger than the ducting as well. The roof jack will easily cover that. A t-top roof jack is simply a jack that has a horizontal "hood" that keeps water out of the jack/ducting. You are going to want to study how other vents on your roof were flashed as well concerning your roofing, as an improper flashed jack is a guaranteed leak.If you use foil tape on the seams of your ducting,(my choice), make sure it is rated for heat.Good luck on your project! You might want to check in with your local yocals for venting requirements in your area. That's what they are there for and is a safer bet.
    ...See More

What style range hood would look best in kitchen? Awkward layout...

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't have the window, but this is what mine looks like. Instead of an island, which would be hard to navigate around if there is more than one person, I used a mobile cart. It's worked out well so far.
    ...See More

Hearth-style range hood BACKSPLASH advice, please.

Q

Comments (10)
    Some ranges do require up to 12" for combustible surfaces on each side, many seem to require 6". If you have at least 9" that would also meet the minimum side set down recommendations as well. I would make sure the underlying surface behind the back of the top is also noncombustible including down behind the back of the cooktop which is also required by some. (Also some require use of their supplied high back guard for certain installations. Following the specs is very important because even if it passes inspection if your kitchen did catch fire, your homeowner's insurance could be voided if you do not follow the specs.
    ...See More
  • Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

@thinkdesignlive bummer. I wonder how close to this we can acheive? My husband is doing our kitchen but he is very crafty, he designed and built our wooden bar in the basement and it has all sorts of intricate details and has done many other things like furniture - maybe something close is possible? Or would it look too obvious? When you say not to butt up like this one Im not sure what you mean… maybe you’re saying it is not possible to do that on our own since its not custom. @kaseki thanks for all this info! I will look into it :)

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

Ditto what kaseki said

• opaone
    last year
    1. Think through what functionality you need for your exhaust hood. See @kaseki post.
    2. Choose a liner/insert/blower/duct system that will meet that functionality.
    3. Have hubby build a cabinet that works w/ the liner/insert/blower/duct system and has the aesthetic elements you desire.
    4. Enjoy a wonderful meal with a nice glass of wine and many many compliments to the craftsman who made the cabinet.

Some more info here: https://bamasotan.us/range-exhaust-hood-faq/

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

@Lomo wow, so much I don’t know that I don’t know! Do you have a suggestion on an integrated one? I’ll google that as well. I was just not sure what key words to use for a search… might be best to get a SS one but I don’t love them.

• Fori
    last year

He can't tell from the photo and is just BSing based on a guess. Get an insert that does the job per Kaseki, and go from there. You can make this work. :)

• cheri127
    last year
    last modified: last year

I agree with Fori. Determine what size insert you need and then have your husband build a cabinet to house it. I don't see why he can't make something very similar to your inspiration photo, though it will likely have to project more for good capture.

• cupofkindnessgw
    last year

My carpenter created that hood for me 20 years ago and the Broan exhaust system still works. Though it might be discontinued on their website you might be able to find it on AJMadison or Best Buy, etc.

Regarding the hood itself, you can find that on the Kraftmaid Specs book webiste. I like the solid trim at the base of my hood rather than the two thin pieces of trim as shown in your inspiration picture. This one is not just attached to the cabinets on either side, but is mounted against the wall. Your husband should be able to make this, easy peazy. Go to a big box store and look at their displays to get an idea of how they are put together. Please buy your exhaust system first, then build this for a fraction of the cost of one from a cabinet maker.

Broan Range Hood

• cupofkindnessgw
    last year

PS: This picture shows a 36" hood over a 30" KitchenAid induction range. For the sake of proportion, try to make space for a 36" hood. The bead board was ripped from a wainscot panel. This gives you lots of space to work at the range. The Broan system has mesh filters that you can wash in the dishwasher and bright LED bulbs that are tiny. What a fun project.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

@cupofkindnessgw that’s beautiful!

• kaseki
    last year

If your cooking style requires higher flow rates (CFM), baffle filters will be better than mesh filters.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

@keseki I’m working my way through the linked info. Feeling a little overwhelmed but I’ll get there. The one about our health etc… makes me concerned we won’t be able to afford one that’s adequate. What do people do when they can’t get those high end options? I’m still reading through so perhaps there is more info I can gather and then decide. We do cook all meals but there isn’t regular seating/wok use. Occasionally searing, but our bacon is done in the oven. We currently have an electric stove but DH wants to convert to a gas top/electric oven (which would actually be used with propane). The concern I suppose is that we don’t have space for a three inch larger hood on each side due to the uppers. What happens in that kind of scenario?

• kaseki
    last year

Where overlap of expanding cooking plumes is inadequate, then some cooking effluent will escape into the residence. (Still better than a tribal cooking fire in a cave.) If you go to gas flames, however, the uncaptured combustion products might be more significant than what is released from just the cooking food on electric or induction. I don't have any measure of what levels occur under which conditions, nor their long-term risk. @opaone might. You should be able to achieve adequacy, if not perfection, using medium-priced products such as Broan/NuTone/Best manufacture.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you. I’m looking at the Broan insert linked above. Looks like around $1100 for all the parts (insert, liner, and blower) which is doable.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

So then what do people do who can’t spend that much on a hood do? Seems like this is more than an aesthetic thing… how does one safely vent their kitchen without spending that much 🤔

• cheri127
    last year

Once again, let's scare the homeowner with the cost of MUA. First of all, we live in a suburb of Philadelphia where labor is very expensive and the MUA for our remodel was a $1200 line item, not $5000 and that includes the home run up to the attic. Second, if you have a hood over 400 cfm, you need MUA. It's part of the cost of remodel. Why bring it up in such a dire way everytime someone is asking about a hood? SMH!

@Chris H While 36" is best over a 30" cooktop, the 30" will be adequate. Keep in mind that many here are striving for perfection. Before you commit to gas, take a look at some induction ranges. GE makes a nice one. You have all the control of gas without the byproducts and more power. The money you save not running the gas line can go into your ventilation (though you will need induction cookware).

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

My husband is an avid DIYer, and I think he could likely create the surround for us. That being said, if not, SS is certainly an option. But even the SS ones seem to be a poor choice unless the cost is much higher. In the end, a functional hood is better than what we have which is a non hood. Our range is not fancy by any means. There’s so much to learn/consider with each part of this reno! I definitely think we are in the minority around here based on our budget but I’ll keep learning and we’ll do our best within our means 🤗 looking forward to a completed kitchen.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

@cheri127 thank you. I have seen induction mentioned around here but haven’t looked much into it to be honest. I’ll take a look! I personally would be happy with what we have but my DH does most of the cooking (yay for me ha!)

• PRO
    Ouroboros Design
    last year

Wood cabinet surrounds are on a par with the big decorative metal ones, as far as expense. Thousands in costs. I had a custom Plato hood done once that was 14K. 72” wide, with a few curves. Probably 30% more today, as that was pre Covid. But even the straight ones require great cabinet making skills, and lots of tools, so are expensive.

• opaone
    last year

Some of the numbers being thrown out here are ridiculous. It's certainly possible to spend such amounts but in most cases unecessary. I don't believe our system (commercial hood, blower, silencer, controller, MUA, custom wood surround) cost that much. Photo here for those interested: https://bamasotan.us/2020/12/the-kitchen/

Very complicated duct runs in a remodel is probably the key thing that could drive the cost up. In the end the OP needs to get accurate quotes to know for sure.

OP also mentioned that her husband can probably make the surround which saves a chunk there.

Let's all please stick to reality rather than FUD.

• cheri127
    last year

@Chris H There have been many users on this site who have successfully remodeled their kitchen on a tight budget. Don't get discouraged because so many are doing high end. There's such a wealth of knowledge here you will certainly benefit by contiuting to post. Why don't you start a new thread with the measurements of your room and what you have planned? There are so many talented and creative folks here who are happy to help. (And your're very lucky to have a spouse who both cooks and does DIY)!

• cupofkindnessgw
    last year

@Chris H

I 'm not sure if you can get that particular Broan system into a 30" hood. You might have to buy the next size down, which might only have one light and one filter. Please buy the exhaust system that fits your requirements first. If you don't have a vent through the roof, you will need to install the duct work etc or purchase a recirculating system.

It's not rocket science. Our carpenter built it, literally, in a couple of hours in my garage. This was about 20 years ago. It is made of maple bead board, 1/2" solid maple trim and and maple corner molding. The carpenter used regular tools and luckily, I had extra maple from Kraftmaid that I ordered for the renovation. It was painted white last Fall. Painting the range hood will add a couple of steps.

Our glass cooktop broke so we removed it and the oven underneath to figure out what we could buy to replace them, which was a KitchenAid induction range. I like this picture for the side view. It took three pieces to form the top canopy. The band across the bottom has the two pieces of trim along the top and bottom edges. Hang the hood 30" or more above the countertop. We tiled the band with white embossed tile that matches the backsplash. Honestly, that did not age well, so we replaced it with a 5-6" wide piece of wood when we painted the kitchen cabinets white.

Google "how to build a kitchen range hood," you will find lots of advice!

HGTV Build Your Own Range Hood

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

@cheri127 and @cupofkindnessgw I appreciate your encouragement! I have learned so much here since joining! I admit I am apprehensive to post sometimes based on comments I’ve seen on others’ posts but I absolutely see the value of posting bc so many people are generous with their knowledge. I’m planning to post a floor plan soon before we lock in our cabinets.

• cupofkindnessgw
    last year

@Chris H I totally understand the apprehension. Please let me add something: that range hood has a 6" crown above it. Factor in crown molding as well, and if you or your husband are tall people, you could even go 32" above the countertop. Are you ordering painted cabinets? It would be difficult to perfectly match painted cabinets that are factory or shop made to your handcrafted range hood. But I'm sure you know that and have good plans.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

@cupofkindnessgw it is something we’ve thought of and definitely a concern. One cabinet option does have a paint that we can use but the finish is a concern - not sure we could match it. Thought we could play around with some scrap wood first. My other thought was to go a complimentary but different color. I’ve seen some wood that’s stained (and I’m sure finished in some way DH would know) My husband is 6’ and I am 5’2 (on a good day, ha!) He bumps his head on the current under cabinet “hood” we have now.

• kaseki
    last year

The hood specification process should include a side-view stick-figure drawing with the "cook" both upright and bent at the waist. The head-hood intersection or clearance can then be established as a function of hood mounting height.

Generally, hoods that overlap the cooking zone by a few inches can be mounted up to 36 inches high, whereas smaller hoods have to be lower, and thus become either a head or sight-line impediment, or too small in entry area for full capture unless only back burners are used for greasy or odoriferous cooking.

Commercial hoods are typically mounted at 7 ft, i.e., four feet above a 3-ft cooktop. They overlap the cooking zone by even more than typically recommended here for residential hoods. They also require high ceilings or penetration into attics.

• opaone
    last year

"If you do not have a hobby shop woth at least a panel saw, plus a shaper, and a bunch of pneumatic tools, then you arent going to be able to do that build."

Totally ridiculous. I've done much more extensive cabinets with a hand held circular saw and router. Panel saws, tablesaws, shapers and other things are nice but far from necessary.