SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_184977658

bought our first house- need serious help designing the rooms!!!PLEASE

Sydney
last year

Big dilemma!! Our front door walks into the living room- pics show the living room from the beginning of the hallway that leads to bathroom and bedrooms. If you walk past the living room and don’t turn into the hallway you will walk right into the kitchen. (Which we are also redoing)
We are ripping out the carpet and putting the floor in the picture in. We have painted all the walls SW cheviot with high reflective white trim. I’m not sure where couch placement / tv entertainment stand should go. Right now we have 2 brown leather couches which i hate and hope to sell and get a sectional. (Pics attached also)

Comments (66)

• Sydney
    Original Author
    last year

Jennifer, thank you for making me cry at 8am( good tears!) lol i guess i needed a little sense talked into me along with some words of wisdom, which you did perfectly. So thank you for putting things into perspective for me ❤️

• ginatay124
    last year

Congratulations on your new home!!! Two sofas are not going to work in that living room. One sofa plus two accent chairs will work much better. It would make life easier for you to sell at least one sofa before you move. The second one could be brought into the new space and then the pressure is off to immediately find a replacement in the middle of a move and renovation. Take your time and get yourself functional in your new space. Then you can shop around for the perfect replacement sofa with durable fabric/leather that you’ve actually been able to sit in in a store and find comfortable, and not make a mistake because of being rushed.

• Related Discussions

NEED SERIOUS DESIGN HELP

Q

Comments (7)
    Assuming you don't like the oak (which it doesn't sound like you do), I would take the time to paint all of your oak trim, doors, etc. That is a time intensive but inexpensive update. I would do the same for those cabinets -- paint the boxes the same color as the doors. Then you have a neutral palette and can use whatever color wood floor you want. Here is a link to a similar dilemma (two-toned cabinets) so you can see how painting the cabinets white makes such a difference: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchen-cabinet-redo-thoughts-dsvw-vd~5153256
    ...See More

New (and first) house - need help with the living room

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi there. Congratulations on buying such a sunny, beautiful home. Love your aesthetic. I am assuming that watching tv from the dining room is not a priority, I would move your sofa to the opposite wall and place the tv on the wall to the right. I think your front door is beside your bookcase so I would move it over to create a division between your dining room and front door, creating a bit of the foyer and then fill the shelfs with vases and ornamental pieces (see examples of pictures). You may need to add some items to the top of the bookcase to increase it's height and make sure the items are oversized and beautiful on both sides so that the shelf does not look cluttered. If you have enough room you could add a small bench to the long wall by the door to emphasize this as the entrance. I would get another bookcase like the one you have beside your tv and book end your tv console. This would reclaim the storage lost to the decorative vases and add some symmetry to the wall with the tv (again see pictures). Add a few decorative pieces that match the bookcase in with the books to tie the two spaces together and get a rug! Oh yes a rug with the colours from your dining chairs or a complementary colour would be awesome. And add some easy plants in baskets to tie it back to your dining room lights. I think your space is gorgeous.
    ...See More

Bought my first house. Will you help me furnish it? Ideas and photos.

Q

Comments (6)
    You could also have a long sofa against the back wall and two chairs facing it (they wouldn’t be great seats to watch tv but you’d have a longer sofa). In this scenario you could also have a sofa+chaise combo instead of just sofa. Everything would have to be scaled well to not overwhelm the space but I think you should choose the layout that works best for you. Hope my drawing isn’t too messy to understand the three options I think are best
    ...See More

Just bought our first house... what should we do with this exterior??

Q

Comments (15)
    Have you considered a larger more sheltered entryway? Do seriously consider putting a roof between the left (garage) wing of the house and the right wing of the house for a larger covered portico, and adding porch/portico lighting in the ceiling of the new portico/porch. As you extend the roof, put your support posts literally against the inner sides of the two wings of the house (rather than crowding the entryway with posts closer together). ... One option would be to extend the roof on the right wing of the house: https://willophx.com/home-tour/ ... Another option would be to create a hip roof portico (preferably without the double bulky posts) : https://www.georgiafrontporch.com/portfolio_category/hip-roof/#prettyPhoto[gallery2935]/0/ ... Another option would be to create a rounded front for a flat roof of the portico, https://in.pinterest.com/pin/490610953134023345/ ... with the rounded part front of the flat (or nearly flat) portico roof extending in front of the front exterior wall of the house so it shelters the rounded front steps. By making the roof top of the portico deeper between its upper part (roof/balcony) and its lower part (ceiling), (with or without a railing), you could bridge the distance between the height of the two roof lines.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year
    last modified: last year
    • So you don’t recommend having the sofa placed so the back is facing the entrance walkway?

I don't know how many ways to say and draw this. Based on what I see, there is no way to place a sofa crossways in your room! See layout below.

Each square is one foot and the room below is 13 x 15 You can turn the sofa and still get into the room, but there's no space to place any chairs adjacent to the sofa. Measure your current sofa and see if it's 8 ft long or even bigger.

Here is the layout with your two existing sofas

• Sydney
    Original Author
    last year

Sofa 1- 7ft by 35”
    Sofa 2- 6ft by 35”
    Tv stand 47” L x 15”W

• Sydney
    Original Author
    last year

But If we get a sectional what size / style would be recommended? I want a sectional bc you can actually get comfortable on them and again , we have a 1 year old who i want to be able to cuddle up with on the couch with !!

• shirlpp
    last year

@Sydney, You can cuddle up with your baby on the sofa. Your 13x 15 room is a bit small for a sectional.

However, if you want a sectional and it seems that you do - Go for it! Plan it out with blue tape - or cardboard.

• Sydney
    Original Author
    last year

Beverly, i do appreciate your input however since noones forcing you to comment there’s no need to be nasty.
    Yes my measurements was a few inches off for that couch. Didn’t think to look on the website however the measurements for the other sofa is not on the website.
    For reference, the two sofas are not the same size.
    I’m simply asking for advice as someone who is not skilled or educated on any of this so
    Excuse me while i will continue to ask questions you may not ask or get annoyed with. I’m innocently asking for help and taking all advice i can get. Thanks

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

A sectional is too big for your room. You need room to walk through the room. And side tables and lamps. Maybe a coffee table. And a tv. And last but not least: KID STUFF. Lots and lots of kid stuff. A sectional is Too Big and not versatile. You will be much better off with a couch and two chairs.

And whatever you do, stay away from gray floors. The gray fad is over and IMO cheap looking.

(And FYI - that’s just Beverly’s style. Don’t take it personally.)

• Sydney
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! We stayed away from gray floors thank god! That’s what he wanted and i was like noooo way, i want timeless.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

@Sydney, When I look for a new piece of furniture like a sofa I use my old sofa and chairs and boxes to simulate the space. I know from experience what a room feels like with 3', 4' and 5' of walking space around a piece of furniture, but it helps me really feel what it is going to be like living with the chunks of boxes and furniture using the space.

I recently bought a large sectional for my living room. I set out two chairs and a chaise lounge with some boxes between to show the whole space that would be taken up by the sectional.

I walked around it. I watched tv from the chairs and the chaise. I had my sister sit on the chaise while I sat on a chair. I was happy with the way it fit and with walking around the area it was going to take up.

You also have to know what works best for you and your family.

The wall with the windows is 15' long or 180".

A 3 person sofa is generally 90" wide. Taking 1/2 of the space you have available.

When you need walking space around furniture you always want to leave 3' minimum.

There is no through traffic on that wall so you don't need to leave space for walking around the sofa. You still have just under 4' on each side of the sofa for end tables.

A 4 person sofa is 120" wide, leaving 30 " on either side of the sofa for end tables. or 60" at one end for and end table shared by a chair on the perpendicular wall.

Glare from the window is easily solved if it is a problem by adding up down shades that allow for light and shade where needed.

• Sydney
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Welp no one asked for this but this is the update! Hopefully someone will see this since I’m still looking for design help!
    As you see we are still stuck with the ugly couches. I don’t know how to place them or where to put end tables /coffee tables once we get them.

also, any recommendations for pictures/decor?

Should i change the curtains to white?

• Sydney
    Original Author
    10 months ago

And some more

• marmiegard_z7b
    10 months ago

I think it is smart to use your existing furniture to get experience with how you want to arrange ( and re- arrange) things. Take time to see, what is too tall, or too wide, whatever. Being in a hurry to grab new major furniture pieces is the enemy of finding & adding ones that are good quality— or your best price point- and that fit in well. You can actually look at re-sale shops also, or some of the Marketplace type sites, taking your time. Keep measurements of your furniture and floorplan in your purse. Also collect insp pics that have similar flooring colors but different color schemes that you like to consider.

Usually it looks better if the TV is not installed so high on the wall, but is right over the cabinet or console with no decor items between the two.
  • Sydney
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you ! Yes we are not leaving the picture frame there - bf has to cut a hole in the wall to hide the cord.
    My problem is i don’t know what will look best so even tho i behave inspo boards on Pinterest i can’t decide what to buy !!

• justcallmepool
    10 months ago

It seems like you have 2 adults and a one-year old, so maybe get rid of one of the sofas and find a chair instead. That will at least fit in your room. I loved cuddling with my kids when they were babies too (& still do) but kids have their own minds and often want to sit in their own chair haha

I don't think anyone call to you what to buy until you show pics of what you like.

• Jean
    10 months ago

It may be helpful to think about the sight lines and views and what draws attention. For example, right now when you/guests walk into the home, the eye goes straight to the big sofa. Not only is it directly in the line of sight, it is also a significant contrast against the wall color. If instead, a pretty piece of art was there, then that's what would be the focus and set the tone. Or if the television was there, and on a console...you get the idea.

Anyway, so, as people walk into the house, their eye is generally going to go to the sofa first, then move to the right and see the console and tv, kids toys, then to the window wall & the small sofa. If the big sofa is the last thing you want people to notice, then put it on the window wall.

The dark ceiling fan, because of the contrast against the light ceiling, draws the eye as well. So, think to yourself, do you want to have people notice it? Or do you want it to basically disappear as much as possible? In which case, a white, plain, ceiling flush mount one would be preferable. (Assuming you need a fan there; I actually think a nice light would be better; I am attempting to point out things to consider)

Same with the drapes/curtains..if you put the rod higher, and have the drapes longer, then the room will feel taller as well. If the rod is light colored, your eye will not be drawn to it. So you have to decide, is it something I want people to notice? Or not? If the rod extends out to the sides more, and the drapes/curtains are stacked mainly off the side, the window will feel wider...

These are just concepts in general; hopefully they will help a small bit.

• dsimber
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

I'm adding to suggestion made by @marmiegard_z7b and @justcallmepool If you haven't been saving images of rooms you like, start today! In early years, I probably saved a hundred magazine pages in a folder, and that helped me determine what I like. So much easier now. Take screenshots of everything you like, label them by room, then look for patterns in your choices. You can add these to an Idea Book so others can view them in order to offer suggestions. With images you find on Houzz, you can save directly to an Idea Book. Take screenshots of what you have saved on Pinterest, then add those to your Idea Book for this room.

I agree with Pool's suggestion to let go of one sofa and replace it with a chair (once your budget allows.)

I understand your wish for a sectional. Perhaps you can find one in a small scale so it can work in you room. My son and his wife are happy with one from burrow.com for their starter home. I would first ask someone here on Houzz to try exact measurements of such a sectional in your room. Most willing to do that will first want precise measurements of each wall, window and opening in your room if you have not already provided them. Without mockup skills, I can only say that this looks very good to me if your sectional is a very slimmed down style. Have you tried your tv on this wall? As someone else mentioned, you can control reflections with window treatments.

Personally, I would leave the small corner (with the front door on the opposite side) for toys. They would be easily accessed, so child-centered, but still keep the room looking like it is meant for adults, too. In other words, they would be the last thing noticed by visitors. This plan allows for more seating.

You have to weigh all options and consider what you want most. I hear you saying you most want a sectional.

• thinkdesignlive
    10 months ago

You want your drapery rods to extend a minimum of 12” past the width of the window frames so the fabric can completely stack to each side and allow the windows to be fully clear. Otherwise you are creating a dark room in the day. Also, you need at least 2 widths of drapery panels per side (they can be sewn together) so they have some fullness when closed and aren’t flat like a bedsheet.

• Jean
    10 months ago

Higher and wider...see what a difference?

• Carol Rivers
    10 months ago

Put your TV opposite the window. You will then have room for a sectional in front of window, smaller scale and lower back than the couches you have now. Good luck. You will get there. Enjoy your new house and your lovely baby.

• shirlpp
    10 months ago

They won't be able to see the TV from the sun glare if it's opposite the window.

Leave your TV where it's at and lower it about 18 to 20 inches.

• dsimber
    10 months ago

As someone said upthread, light can be controlled with the right window treatments. Small trade-off for a better room arrangement with the sectional you want.

• always1stepbehind
    10 months ago

I know you already have the tv hung on the wall but is there any chance of moving it over to the right in the corner? With the set up currently, it seems the only comfortable place to sit and watch tv is the sofa in front of that little wall. Your floors look really nice BTW. I bet you're glad to be rid of the carpet.

• thinkdesignlive
    10 months ago

Beverley's very first layout is still the best for this room. And if the 2 new lounge chairs by the window are swivel then you get 4 people that can comfortably watch the (lowered) TV and a grouping that doesn't overcrowd the room or block the windows. If you have to slowly add pieces then that's perfectly great - but have an overall vision for the room that you are working toward.

• Sydney
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you all so much ! I just have to figure out How to re hang the curtains since bothering the mr with that is the smallest of our to-dos and not what he wants to hear haha but i agree 100%.

Also i like the idea of moving the tv to the other wall i think that would open it up

• Amanda Smith
    10 months ago

Move the tv to the wall opposite the window. You will figure out what to do about the glare with the proper window treatments. Then you can have your 2 brown sofas (temporary) perpendicular to each other in the corner, That will leave plenty of room for toys and a clear entry into the room.

• Amanda Smith
    10 months ago

Don’t feel bad about the sofas. Those comfortable leather, reclining sofas tend to be big and bulky and yes, ugly. Still very popular in furniture stores….

• PRO
    Yonder Way Designs
    10 months ago

Late to the party, but your room is coming along nicely! Agree with @Jean about curtain placement. When you get new furniture, I would recommend a sofa no larger than 84". We bought apartment size sofas from Marshfield last year -- they are 3-seaters that measure less than 6'! Using an ottoman in front of the sofa is a good transition from a reclining sofa. I know you asked several times about having the sofa back to the entry, and I like that idea, too. Here's a rough plan showing that.

• l pinkmountain
    10 months ago

Might I suggest some inexpensive shelving like IKEA type for the TV wall with some fun colorful toy cubbies. That way you can put the toys up if you ever want to entertain in there with grownups when the kids are in bed. Plus doesn't hurt to train kids to put toys away. My folks had similar shelving with a toybox in our family room for years, until my brother took up piano forcing us all to find another room to watch TV in!!

• Amanda Smith
    10 months ago

I agree with Yonder Way that you can also place one sofa with its back to the entry. Why not? It seems to work ok.

You may want to slide the other sofa down more so that you have a wider opening for entry.

• Sydney
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I would love to have the couch on the window wall but he drilled a hole through the floor to the basement to run the cable for the tv so that piece of flooring would have to be replaced (believe me i was not thrilled when he did that to our brand new floor 😭)so maybe that’s something in the fall we could do . Ugh

• PRO
    Yonder Way Designs
    10 months ago

I wouldn't place the sofa on the window wall, as your windows are low and it would block a lot of light. I'm guessing with that placement, you intended to place the TV on the opposite wall? I've seen too many homes where the TV is visible straight on from the picture window -- I think it's tempting to set up camp chairs in the lawn and watch a movie with you (a goofy, friendly neighbor would do that), LOL!

• Jennz9b
    10 months ago

Looks so much better with that sofa that was oddly angled by the entry removed! Agree with everyone that the TV is way too high.

• PRO
    Yonder Way Designs
    10 months ago

Sydney, I just noticed some of your questions from yesterday. Your curtain color is great, just hang higher/wider as planned. I would hang a mirror opposite the window to reflect more light (though don't hang until you have your furniture placement squared away!). Don't get carried away buying art immediately as making the space look great is the easy part, but making it fit your family is what's more important. That said, family pictures, or pictures of the kids or even kids' artwork would be great wall decor. I would avoid a coffee table with the reclining sofas, but end tables on either side of the sofa would be nice.

• Amanda Smith
    10 months ago

I have reclining sofas in both my living and family rooms and I have coffee tables in both rooms. With a young child at home, I would suggest that you get an upholstered ottoman, safer than a hard surface .

• always1stepbehind
    10 months ago

I agree with playing around and facing a sofa towards the tv wall. maybe make an L. Move shorter sofa from that righ side of the openinto the left side to meet the corner of the other sofa. Can't hurt to try.

• PRO
    Yonder Way Designs
    10 months ago

Was thinking the same thing as @always1stepbehind as the easiest option for the exisiting furniture. The other option with the existing sofa & loveseat would be to move one to the TV wall and put the TV in the front corner at an angle behind the narrow wall,

• PRO
    Yonder Way Designs
    10 months ago

By the way, is your existing furniture leather or bonded leather?

• Sydney
    Original Author
    10 months ago

What corner would you move the tv to? I can’t tell from the drawing
    I tried doing the couch as an L the only thing is that there is that wall right as you walk in separating the entry way from the living room so if i do an L on the wall across from the window it leaves minimal room to walk in , that’s why i have the smaller couch corner like that unfortunately.

• Amanda Smith
    10 months ago

I think what you’ve done with the couches is fine. Once you have all your decor in there, it will be great.

• Amanda Smith
    10 months ago

I would focus next on lowering the tv and improving the window treatments.

• glschisler
    10 months ago

I agree with Amanda Smith for immediate changes, raise and widen the drapes, and lower the tv. With your recliner furniture, there is no room for a coffee table. As for end tables, I suggest C tables. Then a shelving unit with doors, or a tub with a lid for the toys for the end of the day pick up.

• la_la Girl
    10 months ago

Great changes so far - I would encourage you to teach yourself some of the simple DIY tasks by watching YouTube - things like using a cordless drill/screwdriver, using a laser level, caulking holes etc.. then you can move the curtains etc and you are not depending on DH -

FWIW we moved into a major fixer upper but DH had a crazy busy job and was not up for much of the home improvement at the time - teaching myself simple DIY tasks probably saved our marriage, otherwise I would have been hounding him all the time 😅

• hbeing
    10 months ago

side note - imho i think 3-bladed fans look much better than 4- or 5-blades.

• Sydney
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I need to start learning diy! With a 15 month old and full time job it’s challenging but I’m sure super doable if i stop making excuses!
    He has agreed to move the curtain up and tv down so that’s a start!!! (Not sure when we’ll get this done but hopefully soon)

I still don’t have decor ideas. I got rid of all the other decor we were dragging from place to place and just want to start fresh. I want modern farmhouse but coastal if that makes sense. Someone said our house looks boho style as is? Which i wasn’t going for.

I like those side tables since we clearly need some in the living room those would probably be our best bet.

I think we need a different/bigger rug?
    And maybe change the tv stand?

• Sydney
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Any recommendations for decor or adding other pieces of furniture / shelves/ entry way table etc?

• Amanda Smith
    10 months ago

What have you decided to do with your sofas? Are you keeping them?

• Jennifer Hogan
    10 months ago

I think décor / art is really personal. I filled my home with things that have some emotional tie associated with them. A wasp nest from the tree in my parent's back yard that my nephews sent to me when I lived far away, paintings from art shows that I went to with friends or family members, pottery from a trip to North Carolina, things that belonged to my mom, art that I purchased while vacationing with friends or family. . . each item brings back a beautiful memory of some special occasion.

Other people buy a painting online that fills a space on an empty wall.

• Susan Davis
    10 months ago

Exacrly how big is the room....I think I am missing that? Sofas are 7 1/2 feet and 6 1/2 feet?

• Sydney
    Original Author
    10 months ago

172” length (from corner wall where play area is to the wall that comes out at the front door - and 160”width (wall that the TV is on)

The wall that comes out at the front door is 30”