SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_835369318

Please help me figure out how to make this living room flow!

HU-835369318
last year
last modified: last year

My small old house has charm but also some real challenges when it comes to placing furniture! Our living room is set up with the front door opening right up into the room without an entryway. It's a very narrow room with our staircase on one end and a fireplace on the other, windows lining one wall and an archway leading to the dining room cutting into the length of the other. There is really only one way to position our sofa and we have our TV and media console across from it. We don't have a coffee table because it's such a narrow space and my little ones play in the area in front of the sofa. My dad recently gave me a bookcase which fits on the far corner wall across from the door, but our area rug (8x10), which covers the space to the right of our front door, does not reach the bookcase and reading chair. This area feels very separate from the rest of the room but because it's such a crowded space, it's hard to make it it's own space and I haven't been able to find a way to make it all flow. I will post pictures from when I had the floor done so it shows the room empty (my daughter lined up her stuffies but otherwise, this isn't how I have it decorated normally). I need help figuring out how to arrange a rug (rugs) so the room flows a bit better. Would it be better to just get a larger area rug (a 9x10 would come a little closer to the bookcase area without reaching the front door)? or should I add a smaller coordinating rug in the bookcase area? Any suggestions would be appreciated! I will try to list measurements as well. Thank you in advance!!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer