SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matan_balas

Would you paint cabinets or update countertops/backsplash

Matt
last year
last modified: 12 months ago

Thinking of updating this kitchen (just bought house) and can't decide if to paint the cabinets white (keeping the top trim wood) and replace hardware with antique copper or bronze hardware, or keep the wood cabinets and change the countertops and backsplash to a lighter stone (possibly quartzite or marble). What would you do? (stools and lighting are not ours, and will be replaced). PS we want to stay true to the 1912 arts and crafts style of the rest of the house (which has all of the original charm)

Comments (48)

• coray
    last year

That’s a really hard question to answer, imo…..we don’t know your taste at all. Some thoughts: IF you paint the cabs white, then also paint the top trim. If you do that, you might want to consider getting some wood stools….otherwise things might start looking cold. You might want to search Houzz for photos with medium wood kitchens….save them all to an idea book, then identify which ones you like most and try to emulate your favorite look.

• HU-954817888
    last year

I would keep the cabinets but change the counter and backsplash

• Related Discussions

Cabinet Color/Backsplash/Paint Color Help with Venetian Gold

Q

Comments (1)
    I’m wondering what you ended up doing.
    ...See More

What color backsplash would you chose and can you suggest a grani

Q

Comments (18)
    nosoccermom - I love the look that why I chose the two together. I knew I always wanted a backsplash like that. I want the backsplash to be the main attraction lol. And the photos above are similar to my cabinet style with similar colors. When I look on the cabinet brand website they have those same cabinets with similar backsplash. By saying "it dont bother me" just means it really doesnt cause I didnt even notice it until it was pointed out - I love the backsplash styles I chose and also love the cabinets. I guess I wont really see the big picture until everything is done. And when I look around at kitchens with raised panels most are traditional backsplashes and I really didnt want a traditional backsplash. I guess I will hold off ordering my backsplash and once my cabinets are installed I'll go from there (which I probably was going to do this anyway lol) - Thank you so much for your help. This post was edited by jennifer11203 on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 15:59
    ...See More

Would you ever do a stained (not painted) beadboard backsplash?

Q

Comments (12)
    My 1915 kitchen had beadboard in the back of the cabinets, though no telling if it was originally stained or painted. You can see a bit of the beadboard "backsplash"; there was also beadboard behind the cabinet doors, including the lower cabinet on the same wall. I suspect this was originally a built-in hutch in a unfitted kitchen. Please don't judge my housekeeping by this gross pic, this was the night before demo! It looks like your inspiration pic may also have beadboard inside the glass display? I think it's a neat look, though I'd be more enthusiastic about it in hutch or display areas, where the wood wouldn't be literally splashed on.
    ...See More

Cherry Cabinets, wood floors and dark granite. Backsplash to update?

Q

Comments (14)
    clétile.com“@Sammy I think the sagey or celadon would work, not sure if terra cotta would lighten things up to much. By brick tile do you mean brick/subway in the sagey or celadon color.” Yes? ;) Actually I was thinking of a terra-cotta brick tile glazed in a celadon or silver sage so you wouldn’t really see it as being a terra-cotta tile. Know what I mean? I’m kind of headachey at the moment so I’ll show rather than tell—sort of. Here, look at this website:Clé tile glazed terra-cotta tile Glass is also lovely in a grey/green/blue. Regarding the Ubatuba: I think it gets a bad rap as being basic, but, it’s really very beautiful and very versatile. So please keep it. :) And one of my favorite tile sites: Fireclay glazed thin brick
    ...See More
  • ci_lantro
    last year

The cabinets are great as is.

I would first remove the backsplash and then decide if I could live with the counters. Probably not. Would not choose marble. Yes to lighter stone.

And I would eliminate the island seating if I changed out the counters. Passage behind the seating is not wide enough for island seating.

I would swap out the knobs for pulls and change the bin pulls to match the new pulls. Because i like that pulls have more presence than knobs do.

• Matt
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! We love old houses. This one is a 1910s craftsman with lots of the the old charm left in, except that the kitchen was remodeled about 10 years ago. We'd love to have tied it back to the rest of the house (exposed dark beams, brick etc.), and love the first 2 here: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/your-guide-to-a-craftsman-style-kitchen-stsetivw-vs~124543148 but don't want to break the bank.

• c b
    last year

I would look through photos of Kitchen’s with painted cabinets. See if any there are any painted cabinet colors that interest you.
    The countertops you could live with or do away with afterwards, since your countertops are a color that will go with many cabinet colors. That’s why I say wait and see.
    New cabinetry is so expensive these days after Covid. You could add new handles after painting them to give another update.
    Good luck!

• darbuka
    last year

Cabinets are beautiful, and current. Painting them would be a mistake. Definitely change out the backsplash and counters.

• herbflavor
    last year

it will probably come down to the counter choice. dont change cabinets/ do change the backsplash.... but new counter in a light with white subway backsplash would be a great change. Just depends on budget if you want to do new counters too. then you can take the opportunity to reduce the overhang on the island / not sure about no overhang. that middle section could possibly have a different top.

• roarah
    last year
    last modified: last year

Wood craftman kitchen ideas

• Rachel Lee
    last year

Cabinets are fine, backsplash is awful, and the countertop color is ok, but the edges are dated. I don’t like the modern stools and stainless hood at all, and I’d think about removing the top trim and over the sink.

• millworkman
    last year

Cannot really see what the tops are other than black, but my opinion is definitely lose the backsplash and a big nope to painting those cabinets.

• agathacat
    last year

I think that your cabinets are beautiful and would look amazing with tiles either from Motowi or Rookwood. Then match the countertops accordingly.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

Another vote for keeping the cabinets as is and replacing the backsplash, perhaps the counter tops as well, depending on your budget. I don't think the shiny counter tops add to the Craftsman flavor, I would do something with a honed, matte finish, like soapstone or honed black granite. Maybe yours could be refinished? Or change out to a white counter top.

Here are some of my favorite kitchens with stained wood cabinets:

Arts & Crafts Kitchen · More Info

Arts & Crafts Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Ireland in CT · More Info

Ireland in CT · More Info

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

What sort of look are you going for and desire. Your kitchen looks at bit dated but doesn't look bad. Do you want a new look entirely> There are questions to be answere before you start your renovation.

• Maureen
    last year

I’d be figuring out my budget, researching options/costs and what will have the greatest impact. For example, having cabinets painted professionally is expensive and that should be your first decision. If keeping as is, your counter and backsplash choices might be very different.

• Carey Wilson
    last year

I will paint it.

• kandrewspa
    last year

Since your house was built in 1910 I think the kitchen as it is is pretty appropriate. It would be better if the cabinets weren't quite so orange, but I don't think painting them would be an improvement. See if they can be stained darker/more brown. Sometimes the way the original finish is done this isn't possible. The color of the backsplash is actually not bad, it's the tiny tiles that make it look wrong. Soapstone would look great for the countertop. If you lighter, don't use a white-white. Make sure the white is warm.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

That’s a really hard question to answer, imo

Agree that it could go different directions with equally good results -- but something needs to happen. That backsplash and those cabinets are not friends. I take it changing the countertops is not a choice? And they do look good and neutral.

If this were my space, I think I'd paint the cabinets white (or cream) because I'd like that paired with the black countertops. And I think that'd look good with the backsplash. Also, the backsplash is busy /kinda bossy, and a simple black and white cabinet /countertop would pair well with that.

THEN bring in your favorite color as an accent ... throw rugs, colorful tea kettle, a bit of artwork here and there.

• joycedjay
    last year

I would not paint the cabinets. Definitely replace the backsplash; maybe the counters if it’s in the budget. The bar stools should be replaced.

• houssaon
    last year

I would do a dark color on the walls in matte and a flat white on the ceiling. I think all elese fits with the craftsman style. Why spend money where you don't have to?

• jtkaybean
    last year

I would keep your cabinets as is,no paint.I have similar cabinets and doing some updates too.Good luck

• chispa
    last year

It is hard to answer, because I would want more drawers and taller upper cabinets in that kitchen, so I would have to consider spending money today to just make some material/color changes and keeping the cabinets OR leave it as is for now, save up for a couple more years and then replace everything.

What do you want out of the project?

• happyleg
    last year

What is bothering you in your kitchen is that you made your chairs White you have the ceiling looks like it's a light gray color you could paint your upper cabinets if you like but you have a stainless Hood why do you want antique copper on the cabinet pulls you already went stainless with the handles but I wouldn't paint the bottom of the cabinets just the upper but I wouldn't do really a white that's going to make your cabinet color even more Poppy I would do a cream or beige color but the cream could even be the ceiling color if do the cabinets cream it would blend better the upper cabinets and the ceiling your backsplash is fine it goes good with the cabinet color and it will go good if you do like a cream color with the backsplash for the upper cabinets

• Fori
    last year

Craftsman kitchen? A sink, a stove, and a Hoosier. It's a big space so add a table.

I have a feeling it needs its walls rebuilt--has it been opened up to the dining room?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Even if you painted the cabinets, the countertop and slate tile would still be dated looking.

so why not start w/replacing the stone and backsplash, island too, get rid of the overly modern stools (that don't with the craftsman style or color), new pendants, and maybe paint the walls? The cabs will look much better at that point.

I don't mind the black, but not that 2002 dark granite. a soapstone, or honed Negresco would look better. bring in some white on the perimeter w/some craftsman inspired ceramic tiles (or zellige)

I like the dark island on this one too. ignore this ugly backsplash.

a lot depends on the style you want to have

Painting is also an option. these are beautiful (get pulls instead of knobs )

• artemis78
    last year

I actually think they did a nice job renovating the kitchen while still keeping the general aesthetic of a 1910s Arts & Crafts home. Definitely would not paint the cabinets--it's costly to do properly, the cabinets you have are beautiful, and your inspiration photos are all stained. While I don't love the counters, they look like they're in good condition and the color is period appropriate. I would keep them unless you have money to burn and just change out the backsplash (and extend it to the edge of the counter by the stove) and replace the cabinet hardware--that will get you a long way towards your vision for a lot less than putting in marble counters. (To that end, I don't think I'd put marble here in general, except maybe on the island--would do a soapstone perimeter. But again, that wouldn't be worth the cost to me unless the counters really bug you.)

• ci_lantro
    last year

Just looked at this again & noticed the gray wall paint. The gray is doing you no favors. So I would repaint and remove the backsplash for starters. You can paint the splash area to clean it up and take your time deciding about the counter tops.

The other thing I would do is refinish the wood floors. I would prefer natural colored oak/ no stain or a very light stain.

• Katherine Canon
    last year

To save money i would just redo backsplash with a lighter color and just change out light fixtures and cabinet pulls/knobs. If not bright enough choose a lighter paint color for the walls.

If that doesn't help then best to choose the following. If you want different countertops go lighter if keeping the cabinets same color. The same with the cabinets choose lighter stain or paint it lighter if keeping the countertops. Don't know who chose these colors but it makes such a big room too dark which normally never happens

• cpartist
    last year

My whole house is craftsman inspired and my first house was a 1927 craftsman. I'd suggest trying to find the bookBungalow Kitchens by Jane Powell to help you. Also on FB join the American Bungalow group for some help and advice.

Your cabinets already have a craftsman feel to them. Don't paint them as they will never hold up as well as the original finish.

Replace the counters with soapstone if it's in budget and do a craftsman style backsplash. As someone mentioned Motowi tiles is a start to look at that. Lots of other companies also do craftsman style tiles. I didn't want to pay for Motowi so got Rookwood tile for my fireplace. There is a third co that does great craftsman style tiles, but at the moment the name escapes me.

I'd also keep the bin pulls and replace the knobs with antique looking glass knobs.

Agree about painting the walls a color that works better with the cabinets and a craftsman feel.

Matt thanked cpartist
  • jayapple21
    last year

If you're working within a budget (as most folks are) consider 1) keeping the cabinets as they are 2) replace the back splash to something much lighter/neutral and maybe extend it on that one end 3) keep the two side counter tops as is but 4) replace the center island counter top with a light color that ties in with the new light backsplash. You would probably need to 5) replace the island stools if the island counter top is lighter. Later you might change out the pendant lights but the ones that are there are OK for now. I think these changes can give you 'the most bang for your buck'.

Matt thanked jayapple21
  • Krista Deng
    last year

If I were you, I would choose to paint the cabinets white (while keeping the top trim wood) and replace the hardware with antique copper or bronze hardware. This will make the kitchen look brighter and more modern. Additionally, you could consider updating details such as lighting fixtures and curtains to further enhance the overall style of the kitchen.

However, if you prefer the natural texture of wood and do not want to change the appearance of the cabinets, then replacing the countertops and backsplash with a lighter stone (such as marble) is also a good option. This will make the kitchen look more modern and streamlined

• Janet Brown
    last year

I would definitely consider painting the cabinets white. I just did that in our home and it has brightened up the whole kitchen and made it look modern. We had oak cabinets that were looking very orange. We also replaced lighting and will be getting new countertops and backsplash. Your countertops look fine but I would change the backsplash. Good luck!

• Helen
    last year

Wood cabinets are fine and painting would be a down grade in my opinion.

The backsplash is awful. It is hard to tell what te counters are as dark counters aren't inherently wrong with medium wood cabinets. Or at least I tell myself that since that is what I deliberately opted for when I remodeled. 😆

FWIW my kitchen is very brightly illuminated with can lights; task under cabinet lights as well as uplights which spotlight the copper tile ceiling. You can't tell but the granite is Black Galaxy which has copper flecks which light up at night when the lights are on.

Matt thanked Helen
  • anj_p
    last year

Don't paint the cabinets please. They're beautiful. Paint the walls and ceiling and change the backsplash. Maybe a different hood.

You shouldn't be trying to make a craftsman kitchen "modern".

• HU-545516693
    last year

The cabinets look like they may be maple stained to look similar to cherry, if that is the case then I would probably paint them. I recently saw a short clip of a renovation where the existing cabinets were raised and shelves were added below, of course I cannot find that exact clip right now but it was similar to:

The changes did create a very nice vintage craftsman-ish effect out of pretty standard cabinets. Having cabinets to the ceiling would make a big impact in your current kitchen.

If it were me I would raise the uppers, add shelves, remove the current microwave and add a shelf for a standard mw, replace the hood, replace the backsplash, paint the cabinets, and probably replace the lights. The counters appear to be pretty neutral.

• MizLizzie
    last year

That backspash is the problem, and I second the sugestion to replace it with tiles more period appropriate. I would look for a warm cream or pale mossy green. Under no circumstances would I paint those cabinets. I might play around with the lighting to see if I could knock down the orange a bit, and update the island lighting Unsure about the counters as I really cannot tell what they look like. If they are black granite, getting them honed might help? others here have more experience with that and will hopefully comment. Overall, it is a nice space. Good luck!

• PRO
    BRIAN LaFRENIERE | TACOMA REAL ESTATE
    last year

Many options. The cabinets are a nice quality and decent finish, I'd try to work with them before deciding to paint over them. I like the look of the greys with the natural wood tones, could incorporate a similar contrasting color family on the backsplash.

One thing for sure - the back wall with the range needs to be reconfigured with a wider range and custom fan hood, that's best accomplished while counters are removed, etc - that current configuration seems out of place for that caliber/size of kitchen.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

I doubt that painting the cabinets white would give your the craftsman style you're looking for and, should you do that, I would also paint the top would trim the same colour as cabinets.

The cabinets seem to be in very good condition so I suggest to simply changing the backsplash to a white tile and update your pendants above the island.

• bry911
    last year

My 2 cents...

I would struggle to work well in that kitchen. Do you actually enjoy cooking in your kitchen with its current configuration? Were this my kitchen I wouldn't replace the tops, the backsplash, or paint the cabinets. Rather I would save up for replacing the cabinets (even if I downgraded them) with something that suits my needs a bit better.

However, if you like the way the kitchen functions, then please ignore my comments.

• Matt
    Original Author
    12 months ago

I think the back wall is a bit odd (smaller oven than I'd like, especially with the fridge all the way on the other side) and the cabinet hanging of the wall is weird, but other than that, it's a fairly large kitchen that works.

• artemis78
    12 months ago

You could, for a not crazy amount of money, move those cabinets/counter over, get a larger hood and range, and then replace the backsplash, if you feel you really need a larger oven. But I'd live with it for a while first if you just bought the house. Our family of four has an even smaller oven and bakes often, and it's served us well over the years. you might see how you like it first.

Not sure where in this photo the refrigerator is, but depending on what's happening out of the frame, you could also explore moving it next the the dishwasher or elsewhere that might accommodate it. (We have basically this same layout except that our fridge is where your microwave is, and we don't--although often wish we did!--have seating on a freestanding island. Our island ends where the fridge starts to avoid being a barrier between fridge and sink, but honestly 99% of the time I walk the other way around by the stove anyway so I may someday extend it into that space, similar to yours.)

• marmiegard_z7b
    12 months ago

I love those pale green glassy tile backsplash inspo pics for craftsman with warm wood cabinets. Along with a better wall paint. So nature- inspired.

• kl23
    12 months ago

I am a wood fan so probably can't get past that. I would replace the backsplash only. And I am a fan of medium to light green backsplash. It would best be set off with creamy paint for ceiling, vs bright white.

• kl23
    12 months ago

Sorry...cream walls, not ceiling. Very tired...

• njmomma
    12 months ago

No to paint. Yes to replacing the backsplash and countertops

• PRO
    12 months ago

I agree that you shouldn't be attempting to "modernize" the kitchen, whatever that may mean. Your goal seems to be to make it more period-appropriate to a Craftsman/bungalow style. To me that would point to changing out the backsplash and counter tops, and repainting the walls with a warm color as opposed to gray.

As regards the backsplash, it looks like it ends at a very awkward spot on the range wall. I'd have it end in line with where the upper cabinets end. You might look at Pratt and Larsen tiles-they have tiles with a very nice Craftsman feel. They are hand-made and the colors are gorgeous.

• artemis78
    12 months ago

Oh, I just now figured out the backsplash on the range wall--I was thinking that was a flat wall but now I see from the top that it's actually a corner. So I imagine the backsplash and maybe also the cabinets wrap back out of view, right? It's that last upper cabinet that's making it look off. That would make it a more involved project to put in a larger range, then, though if you don't mind a little dead space you could still do it.

I agree from the new photo that the fridge placement is poor. I'd have put it on the range end of the microwave wall, but I understand why they didn't. There isn't an especially great place for it. Still, I wouldn't start all over on this kitchen just for that--I think you're going to find that solving for one challenge creates others given the many doors and windows that seem to be in the space. Such is life in old houses!

• PRO
    12 months ago

Haha, @artemis78, I see what you mean now about the corner!

I don't think the layout is terrible, and would not spend a lot of money changing it at this point.