SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

What's the right way to do floor stain samples?

Kendrah
last year
last modified: last year

Our GC is having his floor refinshing guy come to do four sample stain of our choosing on our floors. We are using Minwax stain - either regular or 250 VOC.

Sampling

- How large of a sample size for each color?

- Should they just sample the stain or finish it with the clear coat they intend to use?

- Should it be by a window or in another part of the room that gets less natural light?

- This is a large studio with herringbone in main room, square parquet in a long hallway/dressing area. Do we ask for samples in the room and the hall or just the room?

Color

- These floors are in a studio guest apartment down the hall from our main apartment. We love the paint and floor color in our main apartment and want to do the same in the studio. The same company did the floors in the main apartment before we moved in and it is almost certainly Minwax. When I hold up the Minwax samples to our floor, the Minwax has more red and brown undertones. Our floor has more blond undertones. Do I just wait to see the colors sampled on the floor and then decide if I'm okay with redish undertones or should I be doing something else to achieve a more blond under tone?

Comments (13)