SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_314172561

Restoring color of faded plastic on snap-together modular sport court

Greg
last year

The plastic Versacourt basketball/pickleball court in my backyard is old and very sun-faded. It doesn't look good. I have been researching ways to restore the color since replacing the court would be very expensive at around $15,000. I've seen color restoring liquid products I could roll on myself, but they are very expensive - the cost would be $1,000+ and it doesn't last long so the process and cost would have to be repeated every year or two. One thing I had noticed was that if I scratched the plastic with my fingernail, the faded layer came off, revealing a much darker color. So I got the idea to scrub a couple of the plastic tiles with a wire brush and those tiles look practically good as new. Is scrubbing my entire sport court with a wire brush a viable option for restoring the faded colors? I've found electric, walk behind wire brushes online so it wouldn't even have to be very labor intensive. But is this a viable solution? My wife thinks it would fade super-fast because I am probably scrubbing off a UV protective layer but I don't think that is the case. I think the UV protection is mixed throughout the plastic, not a coating, based on Versacourt's description. Either way, I think this could be a good solution but I am afraid I am possibly missing something. Any comments or suggestions for alternatives would be appreciated.

Comment