SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Marvin Entry Door Issue

numbersjunkie
last year

I recently had a full exterior remodel done on my home and used Marvin windows/doors. My experience with Marvin was painful to say the least, and now we are dealing with a problem with the entry door we ordered.
My house is contemporary, and I did not like any handleset options they offered. We did not want the multipoint lock option, and opted to order our own std lockset from Baldwin. The contractor requested the door to be bored for a double lockset.
After the door was installed, we discovered the standard lockset I had ordered did not fit. The distance was off by maybe 1/4 inch.
My contractor said he would make it right, even though I was supposed to provide the door and it was not part of his contract. He did, however, order from his distributor as a convenience to me and we both approved the specs beforehand.
He got back to me today with a link to a place called Windows Parts Center, that carries 6" bore locks that are apparently replacement parts for certain door manufacturers. There is one that looks very similar to what I had picked, but its in the $300-$400 range and I have no idea what the quality is. I hesitate to go this route because of the cost and concern about if/when the lock needs to be replaced in the future, if this place will still be around and able to provide a lock that fits.
I assume he reached out to Marvin and hit a roadblock but don't know for sure. He was great to work with on my project and I don't like that he is in the middle of this.
I also want to mention that we had horrible service on Marvin for the windows through another Marvin certified contractor. We spent almost $100k with Marvin alone.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (23)

• millworkman
    last year

" The contractor requested the door to be bored for a double lockset. "

What is the center to center spacing? Was the boring for a one piece handleset (interconnected) or a separate latch set & deadbolt? Did you ask Marvin why they were bored that way and what their suggestion is for replacement? What type of door is it?

" I assume he reached out to Marvin and hit a roadblock but don't know for sure. "

Trust but verify, if Marvin screwed up they need to make it right. You bought the door, you contact the dealer.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    last year

Hi millworkman! I respect your opinion and appreciate your response. We checked the specs and the order did not show anything about the boring distance or the type of handleset. None of the handlesets I looked at before I ordered seemed to specify a boring distance, and many doors come pre bored so it seems like there is a standard. I have reached back out to my contractor to see if he contacted his supplier and/or Marvin directly. I paid the contractor for the door and he ordered it for me.

I selected a Baldwin lockset that is connected. If it was a separate handle and lockset this would not be an issue. The door is an Ultimate clad exterior with vertical grain fir interior.

I agree that if Marvin screwed up they should make it right. II was hoping the contractor or his supplier would have an easier time getting this resolved with Marvin but if I have to step in and try to get a resolution on my own I want to be sure I'm not being unreasonable.

• Related Discussions

Entry door choices

Q

Comments (16)
    I didn't know about multi-point doors -- I was very interested to learn. To point out the obvious, this'd be a great choice for the garage-to-house door (which is more attractive to a burgler because he isn't so exposed to the world while he's breaking in); however, if you're looking at a front door with a sidelight, it provides no additional protection. If the burgler puts his elbow through the sidelight and turns the latch, he's unlocking all the "points" at once. I didn't check the price of these locks, but I'm sure they're expensive. I think they'd totally be worth the cost for the garage-to-house door. Not so much for the front door. I'm sure of the bottom line though: A door, any door, can be broken -- if the thief is determined enough. If a burgler has targeted you personally, he's going to get into your house. However, few of us are going to be personally targeted. Most burglers are going to pick a house because it looks less secure than the others around it. So the key is to have a good, overall plan: Certainly the door is a key component in the plan, but a backyard fence, automatic lighting, and good windows are also important players. For most of us, the back door -- so often a sliding glass door or French doors -- is the weak point in our house's armor. That's the one that's hard to defend.
    ...See More

Sill pan for Marvin patio door

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for the suggestion. The idea of foam backer rod beneath the FlexWrap is a better solution. Could you please explain how plunge cutting and stitching in the new decking board would work or look like? I should note that there is deck ledger flashing and that the flashing is not bent down over the ledger board but lays on top of the deck joists, extending about 3 inches out from the house. If the ledger flashing was bent down over the ledger board, then I could have cut the deck board adjoining the house back about 1 3/4 inches to allow drainage. But the way the ledger flashing is put in, I would have to cut a strip off the adjoining deck board of at least 3 inches in width to allow drainage next to the house, which would be too wide.
    ...See More

Kolbe Vistaluxe or Marvin Contemporary for entry door?

Q

Comments (13)
    The Kolbe door would look more contemporary since it has a square profile on the exterior and interior stops. The marvin contemporary door is just their patio door with narrower styles and rails I believe. Most of the time the entry door is a differen't brand than the windows since most window brands don't make entrance doors, just patio doors. So it wouldn't be weird. Either door would be fine, just who's door functions best as an entry door.
    ...See More

ThermTru Entry Door Issue

Q

Comments (2)
    That is not correct. The fasteners that attaches the door head to the end of the jamb leg was sent in at an angle and split the wood. At least that is how it appears to me.
    ...See More
  • millworkman
    last year

" I selected a Baldwin lockset that is connected. "

There you go. There is not a standard unfortunately. Most manufacturers will not do this type of bore without the template and or at the very least exactly what handleset you intend to use (they will download the template instructions) as they are not universal.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    last year

Now I'm confused. How can all the door hardware companies sell locksets to fit if there is no standard? when ordering, there is no boring distance otion to select. And how about all the doors that come pre-bored? if not standard, shouldn't Mavin have asked for more information? My contractor, who specializes in exterior work, has been in the business a long time, and said he has never had this happen before. And the fact that he had to search far and wide for something to fit tells me what Marvin did was not typical.

When I looked, almost all of the entry door hardwate was connected, not a separate handle and lockset. It seems like the norm to have it that way.

• millworkman
    last year

" How can all the door hardware companies sell locksets to fit if there is no standard? "

Interconnected they are not all the same. That is why you do not see doors prepper for interconnected lockset on the rack at HD or Lowes. They are machined to order.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    last year

Then how come there are shelves full of interconnected locksets from all the major brands on the racks at HD and lowes?

• millworkman
    last year
    last modified: last year

The locksets are in stock and the vendors I would buy from have them on the shelves as well. Most all connected locksets that I am familiar with specific bore sizes and spacing (hence special order and needing templates or cad dwgs) and they are not all universal. The doors you will find in stock have bores drilled for separate deadbolt & latchset (2-1/8" face bore and 2-3/8" backset typically).

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    last year

If all connected locksets require a custom bore, why would Marvin not ask for the information they needed? This was a custom door, so it seems logical.

I ordered the Baldwin Spyglass Front Entry Handleset. The online information says:

• EASY INSTALL: Do it yourself, installs on any standard size door in minutes with just a screwdriver, no special tools needed, detailed directions provided.

So, it appears that Baldwin thinks there is a "standard".

• PRO
    PPF.
    last year

The distance was off by maybe 1/4 inch.

What does not fit? What distance is off? A picture showing the problem might help someone suggest a solution.

• PRO
    PPF.
    last year

EASY INSTALL: Do it yourself, installs on any standard size door in minutes with just a screwdriver, no special tools needed, detailed directions provided.

So, it appears that Baldwin thinks there is a "standard".

installs on any standard size door

• PRO
    PPF.
    last year

Is this, or similar what you have?

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, that is what I ordered.

• PRO
    PPF.
    last year

@numbersjunkie

This is the 3rd time I've asked ...

The distance was off by maybe 1/4 inch.

What does not fit? What distance is off? A picture showing the problem might help someone suggest a solution.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    last year

I'm sorry, but contractor put a temporary handle on and taped up the top hole where the key lock would be. I'm not comfortable removing everything to try to get a picture. What I recall is that there was a rod that was supposed to go onto one of the holes and it went through on an angle when it should have been parallel to the floor. The master carpenter was the one who tried to install the lock, then the general contractor came back to see for himself. This is not a matter of an inexperienced homeowner trying to DIY.

I may be able to get a picture from my contractor because I think the first guy took one to send to his boss. If I get it, I will post.

Edited to add:. Bore distance is 6". "Standard" per door hardware manufacturers is 5-1/2. So its off by 1/2 inch.

• millworkman
    last year

" Bore distance is 6". "Standard" per door hardware manufacturers is 5-1/2. So its off by 1/2 inch. "

Has there been answer to this question from Marvin? What exactly did he sign off for as far as lock prep?

numbersjunkie thanked millworkman
  • numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    last year

We have only heard from the dealer, who just said Marvin bores 6" standard. Any he sent a link to a Baldwin lock that is not connected but the style is not something that will work.

Dealer copied in the contractor who had been ghosting me. He finally responded saying "worse case" he will order a new door. My husband does plan to contact Marvin directly. I don't think its the contractors fault. He is a good guy and did a fabulous job on everything else. We did hold back the cost of the door, but then theres the cost to reinstall.

I am so mad at Marvin right now, especially after all the issues we had with the windows. Thats a whole other story.

• millworkman
    last year

" I am so mad at Marvin right now, "

Did he tell Marvin what the bore spacing needed to be? If he did not specify it is not Marvins fault. Interconnected locks need to be planned for. Not absolving Marvin on your windows as I have no idea what the deal was or is but Marvin from all my years in the business are a stand up company.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    last year

This is a residential door. All residential door hardware manufacturers use a standard 5-1/2" bore. You can't even buy a lock for a 6" bore unless its a multipoint lock, even those are hard to find, and best I can tell, they are only sold as replacement parts.

I can see where you might need "planning" for commercial doors which are typically custom, but for residential doors, 5-1/2 is the standard.

Contractor asked for a double bore. Specs said double bore. If "planning" was required, Marvin should have asked for distance and it should have appeared on the order. At the very least the contractor should have been made aware that Marvins bores would not fit standard door hardware. Maybe thats the dealers fault, but the dealer represents Marvin.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    last year

OP here - I just wanted to summarize and provide an update on this saga.

Fortunately, the communication between me/my contractor and the Marvin dealer was all through email and so we have documentation.

To recap:

The dealer sent me pictures of the locksets (all multipoint locks) that Marvin offers. None of the options met my style/color requirements, and we have had issues with multipoint locks on our Loewen doors, and so on 6/15 at 11;24 am, I emailed the dealer with a cc to my contractor asking "Does Marvin offer the option to have the door pre-drilled for a standard lockset?". The dealer responed at 12;37 that afternnon "Yes they do."

My contractor replied at 1;47 am (still the same day) and said "Please remove multipoint and jamb depth is 6-9/16. Please send revised quote."

The following morning we got a revised quote that corrected the jamb depth but showed "No Lock No Bore on Active Panel." My contractor sent another email to the dealer that said "We need standard double bore".

Dealer revised the order to read "Prep for Passage and Deadbolt on Active Panel".

This is the wording that was submitted to Marvin. Marvin drilled the holes 6" center to center, which I believe is typical for a multipoint lock, even though this door was not prepped for a multipoint lock.

My husband contacted Marvin to let them know we cannot get a standard lockeset to fit this door, and said we would need to order a new door. Marvin accepted no responsibility, saying "The door you purchased was prepped as ordered by the retailer. You will have to work with the retailer." My husband emailed Marvin again asking what wording should be used on the new order to ensure that there is not another misunderstanding. Marvin replied that we need to contact the retailer. So basically, Marvin is not willing to assist us with this problem at all.

On a side note, my contractor has contacted the dealer saying that we will need to order a new door, and proposing that they (contractor/dealer) split the cost of the new door. So far, I am not aware of any response from the dealer on my contractors proposal. I hate the idea that my contractor will have to eat half the cost of the new door. I am considering taking the dealer to small claims court.

I feel that my contractor and I were as clear as we could be with the dealer about what we wanted/needed but the wording the dealer used on the order was obvioulsy not specific enough. I also feel Marvin bears some responsibility for drilling the holes at 6" center to center on a door that was not also being prepped for a multipoint lock. Their unwillingness to provide any help to us on this matter is shocking to me. After all, the dealer is their representative.

• millworkman
    last year

" which I believe is typical for a multipoint lock "

Multi-point locks are mortise type so there is a box cut on the side of the door and really only handle and thumb-tun holes on the door face (not 2 1/8" face holes or backset holes).

" Marvin replied that we need to contact the retailer. So basically, Marvin is not willing to assist us with this problem at all. "

You actually had more of a response from Marvin than is typical. Unfortunately you are not Marvin's customer in this instance, dealer is.

Again @numbersjunkie I am not sticking up for Marvin or anyone, just pointing out what is the norm and standard operating procedures from my 40 years in construction supply.

numbersjunkie thanked millworkman
  • numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Millworkman. I agree with your description of a Multipoint lock. We have them on some other doors. I mentioned multipoint only because that is the type of hardware Marvin offers on these doors, and the only locksets we can find that are 6" center to center are for multipoint locks. None of the regular door hardware companies who make residential entrysets make them to fit 6" double bores. So Marvin drilled holes for a regular entry lock but using the 6" distance used for multipoint locks. Doesn't that seem inconsistent to you?

I am really struggling to understand who is at fault here. My contractor asked for a standard double bore. All entry sets sold by Baldwin and others require holes to be 5-1/2 center to center. The dealer told me Marvin offers the option to prep the door for a standard lockset. To me, that meant not a multipoint. We thought we were clear in terms of what we wanted.

CC

• millworkman
    last year

" So Marvin drilled holes for a regular entry lock but using the 6" distance used for multipoint locks. Doesn't that seem inconsistent to you? "

If using an interconnected lock, "most" vendors I am aware of will require either a template or confirmation on the drilling instructions. If using a deadbolt and knob/lever latch set type setup the distance is not critical and the 6" would be fine. That is why it is incumebnt on the orderer to specify and or the vendor to ask. I am not absolving or blaming anyone here as something still seems off to me but here is a link to what is considered typical. I realize this is from a company selling prodcut but it is also what I learned 30 odd years ago. really there is not a true standard and it should always be specified. Both face bore size and backset. Of course I came from an era where there were different face bores and 2-3/4" backs were just as prevalent or more so than 2-3/8". Again I have not seen the Marvin order sheet in eons but I find it hard to believe that there was not more of an option than just "standard double bore", as there is truly not a definite standard.