SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_29405466

Cherry cabs and what color painted island?

2rickies
last year

The kitchen will be natural cherry perimeter cabs with a painted island. I was originally planning on doing rift white oak and a painted (blue) island, but DH and I changed our minds. We just really like natural cherry. This is for a custom build, and whatever we do in the kitchen will be carried through the great room in other spots. We also think it will look better with the stone that's being used for the FP and a few other things.

The cabs will be slab doors, because the interior is modern, and the hood will be a cabinet "box" with insert (it was going to be a straight rectangular box, but we're considering angling it as in the image). I was originally going to do all the perimeter cabs in wood and paint the hood to match the island, but that's when I had light wood and a darker paint color planned. Now I'll have wood that gradually darkens, so it makes sense to do a lighter color for the painted cabs. Question is, lighter color blue, or...? And does it still make sense to paint the hood, or should it be cherry like all the perimeter cabs? The countertops will be soapstone on the lighter gray side. Floors will be white oak engineered wood (light finish).

What color island would complement this combination, and should the hood be painted or wood?

Here's a 3D pic from when I was doing oak/blue. There are a few things that aren't shown in this pic. The cab end that looks like drywall next to the bar sink will be wood. The doorway into the kitchen will be lined with stone that starts from the connecting foyer and runs up the wall between the doorway and the cabinets. (There's no actual door there.) The same stone will be used for the FP wall at the other end of the room.

Here's a bit of a sample wall that shows what the stone colors will probably look like. I held up a natural cherry sample to this, and it seemed like a good pairing because of the warm tones:

Comments (51)

• kandrewspa
    last year

If not more cherry then black. But then you have to have some black elsewhere in the adjoining space so it all ties together.

• 2rickies
    Original Author
    last year

@Patricia Colwell Consulting I don't like that very dark stuff either! I want to see the grain in cherry and its natural warm tone as it darkens. I have natural--clear finish--cherry in my current kitchen and it has naturally darkened beautifully, with all the grain visible. That's what I'm talking about. As far as the island, the problem is wood doors are very expensive, and painted doors are a lot less expensive right now. I doubt that it's in my budget to do the whole thing in wood. Plus there is so much wood in the room to begin with that it seems good to introduce a complementary accent color. But I get what you mean!

• Related Discussions

Are these cabs cherry? Paint? Glaze? Med.brown gel stain?

Q

Comments (18)
    I think I would try changing out the hardware and painting the background wall color above the cabs something dark like a rich chocolate brown. Or a deeper green. That would allow the lighter cabnets to really pop and take center stage. If that doens,t make enough of a change in the room for you then glazing may just be the right thing to do. I think with those cabs glazing could well be the answer your looking for if they were done with a base color thats opposite on the color wheel it would really help to cut the orange your not liking and glazing would be a easier option than a major allover color change. To get a solid color change that matchs on that many cabs would be more difficult then a glaze. I would def. try painting that upper background color first though. I think it would give that kitchen the pop of color it needs to really stand out.
    ...See More

New kitchen photos, custom cherry cabs

Q

Comments (49)
    2boyz, you asked if we still like our Ark floors. We are really happy with the way the floors look but we have a golden retreiver so our floors are scratched. The scratches have not damaged the finish, they are more like dents in the wood, but if you look at the right angle you can see them. The scratches from our dog on our old oak floors were much more evident because the flooring had a gloss to it. Our Ark flooring does not have a sheen to it and the slight distressing helps to hide the scratches, but I know they are there! We don't have any areas where the wood has chipped and you see a lighter, unstained color. I love the width of the planks, the color, the very slight bevel but I believe there is just no way to avoid scratches on hardwood floors. So, yes I still am happy with my Ark flooring!
    ...See More

What color should we paint our trim with alpine white cab?

Q

Comments (1)
    http://www.countryliving.com/homes/renovation-and-remodeling/waterfront-living-0705#slide-1 or gustavian grey/blue would look super with your choices.
    ...See More

Color for walls and backsplash with this granite and cherry cabs?

Q

Comments (1)
    Spectacular granite! Do you have a photo of cab finish and style? I'd probably stay away from green. I think it will set off that granite better if you don't have green. I'd want to have backsplash decided before paint since the paint is the easier to change. Would you consider a matching granite backsplash, or a pale one with inset pieces of the same granite?
    ...See More
  • Andrew
    last year

If you are looking to pull in an accent cabinet color I would consider pulling a color from your stone, or a darker version of that color. Perhaps a dark warm gray that works well with the tone of the cherry. Try putting all 3 together in the same space before making a decision if possible.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

natural cherry cabs

these are all great colors w/natural cherry

wait on the island color until you get some of the cabinets made. then you can bring them into the home to see them in your light w/your flooring. have some paint samples ready

soft blues, bluegrays, sages, ivory, soft whites, blacks and warm grays, all look great w/this wood

2rickies thanked Beth H. :
  • catbuilder
    last year

Green is a great color with cherry. Have you considered doing the perimeter in painted and the island in the cherry? I'm surprised that the painted cabinets are less expensive than the cherry cabinets.

2rickies thanked catbuilder
  • just_janni
    last year

I really like natural cherry and have that in my existing house - great room built ins and butlers pantry. It's aged gracefully and looks warm still.

I'd try to warm up a blue, consider a green tone, LOVE that "succulent" that Beth H posted above.

Your stone is really warm and rusty and if you are bringing it inside the house - a blue is going to have to be "perfect" whereas a green will give you more wiggle room.

I am also not sure I'd have it on the hood. the change is a little jarring in the rendering if there is that much contrast.

2rickies thanked just_janni
  • Fori
    last year

I'd have it match. You know, all cherry. Painted islands are great if you're going for that "I decided to add an island later" look, except that it's not that great a look.

2rickies thanked Fori
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Cherry wood naturally has a wide range of color, which can be seen in Beth's first image. Be prepared.

2rickies thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • cpartist
    last year

A warm green or a warm blue. Either would work great with cherry. BTW: I love natural cherry and had it in my condo.

I would do the hood in the cherry.

2rickies thanked cpartist
  • Kendrah
    last year

Cherry is not one thing. I think it all depends on the actual wood you are using. That said, I like the Texas Leather from @Beth H. : comment.

2rickies thanked Kendrah
  • 2rickies
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for the suggestions; I think you're right about finding something with a green tone or a gray that works. That also will help reflect the setting of the house, since it's at the edge of a meadow with lots of those rocks that will be in the house (that's where they're coming from!). That will also make it easier to choose a soapstone, since a lot of them are greenish grays.

I was also surprised to learn that the painted cabs are less expensive. Apparently some species of wood are still very pricey even though the cost of lumber has dropped.

@Beth H. : thank you for all the pics and color samples! So helpful! Unfortunately I have to order the cabs all at once. At most I'll have door samples to look at in the space.

@Mark Bischak, Architect, I have natural cherry in my current kitchen so I'm very familiar with the variation-- I like it! When I looked at the rift white oak sample next to it, of course they're both attractive, but I know that in the long run I'll prefer the interesting grain of the cherry.

• K M
    last year

We are doing natural cherry as well in our house. We had it in our last house and love it. We are doing a “coffee bar” cabinet in dark gray adjacent to the kitchen. Our countertops will be a gray granite as well. We will also have black accents in the space.

2rickies thanked K M
  • cpartist
    last year

You should be able to get door samples before you order. If not, find another company. :)

• 2rickies
    Original Author
    last year

@cpartist oh yes absolutely! I have a rift oak sample already, which is what clinched my decision to switch to cherry. I looked at the oak door next to my current natural cherry cabs and just wasn't drawn to it as much.

• 2rickies
    Original Author
    last year

I now have to narrow down this paint color decision and order samples. This is hard for me! I looked at a lot of greens and blue-greens and I really still prefer blues.

Here's a pic of a cherry door (aged) with a light soapstone sample (I don't know what I'll choose yet), and for fun a quartz rock I found at the site, which looks good with cherry and is making me rethink the soapstone (sigh).

Stone from the site will be used for the FP and the entryway to the kitchen, and it has a mix of tones:

So--here are some colors I like--thoughts on whether any of these work for the island? I'm not sure I'm hitting the right shades.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/color/1665/mozart-blue

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/color/1679/bedford-blue

https://www.farrow-ball.com/archived-paint/sloe-blue

https://www.farrow-ball.com/paint-colours/Selvedge

https://www.farrow-ball.com/paint-colours/de-nimes (more of a gray, imo)

https://www.dunnedwards.com/colors/browser/de5881/

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

You know, colors may look different on different computer screens.

2rickies thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

I would definitely go with cherry and soapstone--beautiful combination!

If you are set on a painted island, then use a greenish blue rather than a more purple blue. The Dunn Edwards looks much too purple to me. The FB colors look a bit too light, although De Nimes is pretty. The BM colors look almost the same but not enough green.

At the end of the day, you need to see the colors in your space with your light. As Mark stated, the colors we see on our screens will not look true due to different calibrations.

2rickies thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 2rickies
    Original Author
    last year

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thank you; I'm sure you're right. I'll look at colors more on the green-blue spectrum. I would consider doing all the cabs in cherry, but it would be more expensive, and there will be a lot of wood in the great room-- floors, dinner table, sideboard, and doors. Maybe the latter doesn't matter as much because accent colors can be introduced in other ways (backsplash, textiles).

• 2rickies
    Original Author
    last year

The KD changed the colors in the 3D rendering so I could get a sense of cherry with different shades. I realize it's only an approximation, but this gray one is, I think, too gray. The F&B de Nimes color I prefer is a little warmer with more blue--but I don't have a sample of it yet. In general, though, I was thinking of using a much darker color, and now that I see this, a lighter color seems good in that it allows the cherry to stand out rather than having an accent color take over.

Also I'm still not sure if I want to paint the hood. KD is pushing for that to tie it into the island, but I wonder if I'd like a wood hood instead, box-shaped and not angled.

de Nimes: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1b/11/2b/1b112b90d6b00b46bfd699f4f43bb552.jpg

• Sherry Brighton
    last year

Natural cherry is gorgeous, but do take into account it will darken over time.

• 2rickies
    Original Author
    last year

@Sherry Brighton that's one of the things I like about it. I have it in my current kitchen, now more than 15 years old.

• Sherry Brighton
    last year

I love cherry too, but the red becomes more predominate as it darkens so any paint color will need to take that in account. Navy pairs well with cherry.

• 2rickies
    Original Author
    last year

I was trying to find blues early on, and the KD rejected most of the ones I proposed, but I may not have picked a navy. Good idea.

A lot of them seem to have violet undertones, which would be bad. What do you think of these two? (I know, colors can look different on different screens...)

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/color/2063-10/old-navy

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-colors/color/2060-10/symphony-blue

• dan1888
    last year

Oak is rift cut to overcome the dark open grain of that species, quercus alba. You can use a different species, q. robur, European Oak flat cut with grain pattern and tone variation. It's denser with less open grain. DOCA Link. uses that wood. Ikea Vedhamn uses it. Link.

2rickies thanked dan1888
  • 2rickies
    Original Author
    last year

@dan1888 I switched from rift white oak to natural cherry because I like the warmth of cherry as it darkens, and the grain.

• Kyla McSweeney
    last year

I like both the old navy and the de nimms.

2rickies thanked Kyla McSweeney
  • pgjs
    last year

Fun to see your kitchen coming along. I tried my hand at switching up the colors. I do like blues with the cherry, but not the de nimms.

Old navy

Symphony

Edit: I do feel symphony is too rich and competes with the cherry

2rickies thanked pgjs
  • cpartist
    last year

You need to get paint samples of the colors you want to try and hold them up NEXT to a cherry door sample IN YOUR SPACE. That is the only way to see if the color works. Asking us here on the internet where we can't see your space, your cabinet or the actual color is folly since everyone's screen is formated differently.

• cpartist
    last year

I like Diana's pick of Newburg Green

2rickies thanked cpartist
  • Otter Play
    last year

Buy a quart of the paint color(s) you are considering. Paint a piece of white paper or a scrap of (primed) sheetrock. I’ve even used leftover vinyl wallpaper. (You need something a lot bigger than a paint chip.) Look at the sample(s) with your cherry sample to assess how well the pairing works. You’ll want to do this throughout the day and evening, and in the different kinds of lighting you will be using in your new home. Fun project you have there!

2rickies thanked Otter Play
  • PRO
    last year

You have a kitchen designer, no? Ask her or him to order several large samples of the colors you're considering. Professionals can get them for zero cost, and that's what she or he should have been doing to help you select the best color. Renderings don't show the true color, but BMoore's samples are spot on because they're made using actual paint. When I have a client (or myself) that needs to decide on a paint color, we sometimes order LOTS of color samples (30, 50, 60!)

Then, yes, tape them up on the walls in the space, with your lighting. View them during the day and the evening with both natural and artificial light.

Buying a quart of paint could cost you a lot of $$$$, especially if you are considering more than one or two colors. And it's a lot more work than using the manufacturer's samples. I've been doing this for over 20 years and have never gone wrong with Ben Moore's samples.

2rickies thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Otter Play
    last year

Diana, Even better idea! (The things I learn here.)

• PRO
    last year

Thanks, Otter Play!

• 2rickies
    Original Author
    last year

Unfortunately, I can't look at colors in the light of the actual space yet, because it's a new build and we're still in the framing stage. The best I can do is look at it in daylight at the site, and then look at it under LEDs of different temps/brightness off-site.

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC thank you for the advice. I like the Newburg Green, too; in fact I had a swatch of that but in my office it looks much more gray than it does in the image you shared, which I guess is not surprising. I asked the KD if she could order some samples for me. She responded that I could order them directly and gave me the link. I guess she doesn't get them for free.

• PRO
    last year

Sure you can order them directly and pay for them, but all she has to do is set up an account to get them free. Isn't that part of her services?

• 2rickies
    Original Author
    last year
  • kl23
    last year

@2rickies does the person doing the work have a preferred paint company? Mine do. In my area, all the contractors prefer Sherwin Williams so there's no point in me looking at any other brand. The Sherwin Williams store gave me a paint fan, just gave it to me! Maybe you can get one too. I think your practice of putting the cherry, soapstone and rock together with the different paint chips in the fan will help you get to the next step of choosing larger sheet samples. 

Can the KD provide a rendering with the hood in cherry? I like the hood painted, but maybe a rendering with it in cherry will help you decide what YOU want. 

Are the appliances all stainless steel? I like the soapstone. That's exactly what I would want for my kitchen. Except I saw someone else's kitchen with a honed marble in colors you would expect from a melted caramel sundae. I thought it looked really beautiful. So I understand. But if you move away from soapstone, then what do you do about the appliances? They're still stainless. And what metals for your hardware at the sink and the drawer pulls?Coordinating everything is exasperating! Hopefully your KD has it all coordinated.

So you like blues but not with purple undertones and not greys. I was going to suggest SW Naval, which I found to be too green, because I prefer the blues with purple undertones like cobalt, very natural to me. I also was going to suggest SW Krypton, but you might find it too grey. 

OK, here are couple thoughts you didn't ask for and so please feel free to ignore completely. Try to get at why you don't like the painted hood. Is it because in your mind it may not age well? If so, how do you feel about a metal hood? Perhaps stainless steel? If you are having trouble finding a blue island, how do you feel about just simplifying to a cherry island? That way it's not as permanent. You can have different wall and ceiling paints that you change over time as the cherry ages. Speaking of ceiling, if you like different blues in the room, consider multiple blues in the same sheet on the paint fan. Your kitchen has many more natural stopping points than usual and would allow several paint colors. Look at the area around the stove. That could be a separate dark blue. And that little square next to the big window on the right could be any color. Then there is your soffit, and your ceiling. You could gradually go lighter as you go up the walls to the ceiling. Make a strong break between soffit and ceiling or make the room cozier by painting soffit and ceiling the same and breaking below soffit. The point is that you don't have to stick to the current trend of a painted island if it's too trendy for you. Ok...ignore at will. ☺️

2rickies thanked kl23
  • 2rickies
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Thank you for all the suggestions, @K L! The painter uses Benjamin Moore, but I can use any brand for the island, because the cab company will match the paint company's formula. At the moment, I'm leaning toward F&B de Nimes or BM Newburg Green. (All the other samples I got feel too dark to me with everything else that will be in the room.) I'm planning to paint the wall above the cabinets the same color as the ceiling, to bring the ceiling down a little (it's 13ft). (It's not that I don't like violet blues, it's that I think anything purply will eventually clash with the cherry as it darkens.)

Yes, the appliances are stainless, and I think of that as neutral, so if I did change my mind about soapstone and got marble instead, I think it would be fine. Right now I have a more traditional style kitchen, but I have stainless with natural cherry and a wavy granite. I used pewter-looking cab hardware, and I might do something similar in the new place, but in a more modern style, since it's a more modern house.

Interesting about using different paint colors in different places. I've been reluctant to do that because it's in a great room, so it's one big room, but that gives me food for thought. I appreciate the creative ideas!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 months ago

found some other options

I think these all work well next to the stone colors (which you said would also go w/your cherry) I love the darker charcoal colors w/the warmer red/golden tones.

These would also work w/the cherry:

Have you looked at Knoxville Gray? Newburg Green is pretty but it will be dark. this is a lighter shade

How about theSW Succulent Shade? looks nice in the pic w/the rocks.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 months ago

found some other options

I think these all work well next to the stone colors (which you said would also go w/your cherry) I love the darker charcoal colors w/the warmer red/golden tones.

These would also work w/the cherry:

Have you looked at Knoxville Gray? Newburg Green is pretty but it will be dark. this is a lighter shade

Olive Green

• PRO
    11 months ago

@Beth H. : good to see you back!!!

• 2rickies
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Beth H. :wow, thank you for all of these options!! (Sorry it took me a while to get a chance to reply.) I went to Farrow & Ball, and picked up samples of Down Pipe, Stiffkey Blue, and Beverly which is a deep green. I also picked up de Nimes, but seeing it in person and then in different lights, it seemed like it would be too light. I took some samples to the site so I could see them in daylight with the stone. I don't have indoor lighting at the house yet (still in framing), so I still need that data.

There are interesting colors in your suggestions, and it looks like I will be making another trip to the paint store to look around!

Here are some pics with the stone in daylight. The first two are in lower light, and the next two are same color in bright light. (The stone will be used in parts of the great room in addition to the exterior, but there will be less of the orange than is shown in these particular photos.)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 months ago

hmm,,, it seems like the blue and green are a little to 'bright' looking? maybe it's just the lighting.

you mentioned DownPipe, which I do like. (I also like BM Cheating Heart.) This one looks like it has the slightest bit of green tinge to it.

is this bottom one Stiffkey?

hague Blue might be a more muted blue

• 2rickies
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@Beth H. : yes the blue is Stiffkey. I like Hague blue. When I saw it in the store, I thought it was going to be too dark, so I didn't take a sample. I think part of the issue may be the very bright sunlight. When I look at them under indoor lighting, they're much more somber with more gray tones.

Here are de Nimes and Downpipe in that bright sun:

DownPipe:

de Nimes:

And in a "shady" spot (I think in this next photos I had "rich contrast" turned on in my photo app by mistake, and that made all the colors look browner and deeper):

• just_janni
    11 months ago

Of these I really like the Stiffkey.

• K M
    11 months ago

I like the downpipe

• 2rickies
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I think there are a few grays that go very well with the combination of colors and would look great on the island. But whatever color I use on the island will also be used as an accent in other parts of the great room. I think that's one reason I've been leaning away from the grays and toward a blue or green with some gray tones. They feel a little livelier as an accent.

• Karenseb
    11 months ago

Really like the succulent green by SW.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    11 months ago

in this light, I think it looks nice