SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_918119203

Farmhouse vs. Undermount Sink

HU-918119203
last year

Looking for general feedback on farmhouse vs undermount sinks - mainly aesthetically. I have a small antique cottage and am renovating the kitchen. The look I'm going for is super classic, with inset cabinetry, marble and soapstone counters, a professional range and hood, paneled appliances, and unlacquered brass and polished nickel hardware/lighting/fixtures. The kitchen is directly off the front entry to the house, and the sightline from the entry is over the kitchen sink, so I want to be sure that the first look is beautiful. The floor space between cabinets is about 11.5x10, and there is an island in there, so it's petite.

I'd say most of the kitchens I've saved as inspiration have a farmhouse sink, either a Shaw style enamel or one that is fabricated from the counter material (usually soapstone). I like the look in theory, but have some concerns:

• It is definitely a trend now. Which means that it almost inevitably will be uncool in 5 years or so. I want a kitchen that's as timeless as possible, recognizing that true timelessness is not possible to achieve.
  • If I later change my mind or the trend passes, there's no such thing as just swapping out a farmhouse sink for an undermount - you have to rebuild the cabinet. Also, I could see issues changing from one farmhouse sink to another, if I decided I didn't like the brand or model I choose.
  • The kitchen is small. Even having an inch or so sticking out is an inch less space. Most of the kitchens I've saved are large, just because those are the types of kitchens that tend to be published in magazines.
  • To that end, since it's small, I'm trying to keep the kitchen relatively simple and streamlined (hence the paneled appliances). Does having a sink hanging over the edge undermine that?
  • Cost - a decent SS undermount can be had for <$400. Most farmhouse sinks are >$1000. I'm splurging on a lot of things in this kitchen - would be nice not to have to do so on a sink.

Overthinking it? Things I'm neglecting to consider?

Comments (17)