SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
antoni_szachowicz

Adding wainscoting in Cape Cod dining room/living room?

I'm remodeling a cape cod for ourselves and we have painted wallpaper in the living room and dining room. Instead of removing all the wallpaper, we are considering doing 5 foot tall wainscoting in the dining room and possibly the front living room.

I've attached pictures of the space. If we do it into the living room I would pull out the "built-in" bookcase and continue the wainscoting to the fireplace. The kitchen will be open to the dining room. The opening will be cased out to match the other openings. There will be a 3 foot peninsula coming across the opening from the left (the exterior wall). I would continue the wainscoting below the counter on the back of the cabinets.

My question is would this make sense for this style of home and the layout we have? Particularly with the dining room opening up into the kitchen. Would you continue it under the counter at the peninsula? Should we continue it into the living room or just do the dining room?

Front of house

Living room

Living room, bookcase would be removed

Living room

Dining room

Dining room

Dining room facing kitchen, peninsula to the left

Does the 5 foot tall wainscoting make sense? If I do this, I would glue 1/4 sanded plywood above the baseboard and then use trim to box out the "panels." With a piece of chair rail running at about 4 feet and then a top cap. The stiles would really be the plywood and would be flush with the "panel" surfaces. Any thoughts on this method?

The style we are considering

Comments (4)