SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitney_downing87

can anyone help with my living room layout?

Recently bought our first house and struggling with this LR. Long LR with two walls of windows.

The only “needs” for this room are couch(es), tv, piano, and play space. My goal for the play space would be something minimal where you can put the play mat and basket of toys. Also considering a small table for art for my kids.

I do not currently like the style of our couch. Curtains will go up. Hoping to use the track that was still here for ease (only have to pull strings on two sides to cover all the windows. The windows are south facing with a mountain view, and I am sure this room will get very hot in the summers.

I appreciate any advice/insight!

Comments (43)

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    last year

I like those a lot, thanks so much! I am thinking I may need to downsize my couch to make everything fit well.

• Related Discussions

Can't live with my living room...Layout help please?

Q

Comments (12)
    justgottabme: Yes! excellent plan! The Tv needs to be in that corner next to the fireplace -- either mounted on the wall or sitting on a console or cabinet. Having a cabinet in that spot would anchor that whole corner. And more excellent ideas above too! Love the idea of bookshelves in each of the corners -- perhaps just try basic Ikea Billy shelving -- or other build-it-yourself shelves (try stores like Targer or Walmart)-- just to see if that plan will work for you? Or look for vintage shelving or bookcases on your local Craigs List! Swivel chairs can be found -- check your local Craigs List! But for now -- once you move the TV -- try placing one sofa facing the fireplace -- and another one facing the window -- forming the classic L-shape.
    ...See More

Need help with my living room layout 19ft length and 11 feet wide

Q

Comments (2)
    Do you have a floor plan? Are you just trying to decorate the area behind the columns? The TV is too high and it needs a console underneath it to ground it. Does the cord from the AC have to hang down like that?
    ...See More

I need some help with my living room layout please.

Q

Comments (2)
    thank you! I have considered this but still worried because my fireplace is not centered to the room. plus you would see chairs as soon as you walk in the front door. do you think either of those things would be bad?
    ...See More

Please help me layout furniture in my awkward living room.

Q

Comments (9)
    Nice and large room! IMO, you are trying ot squeeze too many chairs into the space. Add to that the dining room chars and barstools... chair overload. In the photos you've posted, the fireplace is being left out of the equation. It needs at least one chair closer. Have you tried the sofa on the window wall? There is also a lot of unused real estate between the living room area and dining area. I would enlarge the seating area to include some of this space. To define the areas, you could use sofa with a console table or cabinet back to back with the dining area.
    ...See More
  • btydrvn
    last year

It looks like the chaise section would fit better on the other end of the sectional…i would also try the sectional in the center of the room…with the kiddy spot more square shaped at the end of the room leaving the piano spot more integrated with the seating area…it is always tempting to line the walls in a long narrow room..but furnish it as three square separate square sections ….to avoid that

• PRO
    Gray Space Interior Design
    last year

Looking at BeverlyFLADeziner's floorplan layout, the top one with the couch and chairs on the left would be more logical for space planning. With the doorway at the bottom right, it would make sense for the flow of the room.

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    last year

The doorway in the up top is on the bottom right. The entire right wall and back wall are lined with windows.

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    last year

I agree, I struggle with trying NOT to line the walls with furniture! It feels very stagnant that way. I’ll try the couch in the middle too. Thanks so much for the ideas!

• Valinta
    last year

I like Beverly’s plans. When it comes to windows the currant blinds look great and I feel draperies might make the room feel too heavy, especially with the sectional. Any window treatments function should not involve cords for opening and closing when you have little ones.

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    last year

Yes good point, thank you. The pull cords to pull the curtains closed are taunt, since they pull along the track (like a tight pulley system), but the current blinds to have cords that reach part way down the window.

• btydrvn
    last year

One good point with sheers or drapes …is they create vertical lines that also help to shorten the length of the room..while also adding vertical lines that will add a needed feeling of height to the room

• btydrvn
    last year

Never mind the softness factor…warming up the room a little bit

• btydrvn
    last year

To make it less repetitious in such a long room …you could use slightly varied shades in each section used for different purposes

• btydrvn
    last year

The blinds …as is…with all the horizontal lines…actually adds to …and exaggerates the long narrow aspect of the room…

• btydrvn
    last year

As for downsizing the couch…that does not seem necessary…(tho i would change the extended part,as suggested earlier) since the size will offer more “ family together seating”…and emphasize the different sections better as well

• btydrvn
    last year

the projected end of the couch could also create a little barrier for the toy area in the back

• btydrvn
    last year

Plus added natural light from two angles

• btydrvn
    last year

Opening up the shades completely everyday offers a healthy ..bright …( hopefully) sunny setting for the kids

• btydrvn
    last year

Nice out of the way spot for naps…building forts,etc

• btydrvn
    last year

Tents?

• btydrvn
    last year

Even fun little “ picnic” lunches

• btydrvn
    last year

And last but not least…that spot doesn’t have to be cleaned or tidy all the time…in fact it can be a learning center for them to straighten and tidy up their own area,themselves, before watching tv or going to bed?

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the great ideas! I am a fan of lots of sunlight. It’s a bit of a bummer that that also means this room will become a heat box in the summer! Silly question, but does anyone have any tips to allow sunlight but block some of the heat?

I think if we keep the track system for ease of use, I’ll leave the blinds open most of the time and close the drapes when needed. Im also thinking I can install something to cover up the lower half of the cords for the track system even if they are taunt for safety. I’m hoping one of the cord covers sometimes used for tv cords etc will work well.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get some seating to face toward the windows to have a Mountain View without it looking awkward. Maybe just a comfy chair in the back left corner beside the piano facing toward the center of the room (with the layout in the second diagram). Or somehow create a reading corner within the kids section.

I really appreciate all the insight!

• btydrvn
    last year

We have a ceiling exhaust fan…on the roof…to pull out all the hot air that accumulates in the summer… since we don’t like using the AC until it is really necessary

• btydrvn
    last year

We have a ceiling exhaust fan.. that in our case is installed on the roof…that sucks out all the heat that rises naturally….only turning on the AC on really hot days

• btydrvn
    last year

Sorry🤷🏻‍♀️

• S Mil
    12 months ago

Look into solar roll shades. They help to control temps while allowing both view and light. I have seen them concealed behind /used with woven blinds & Roman shades and of course with drapes. I love them - they have been a great solution on all my windows - especially the west facing with intense afternoon heat.

• Diana K
    12 months ago

Commenting similar to what S Mill said, it's ugly but I had a lot of success with heat reflective film on my windows. My previous house's living room picture window faced directly east with no trees in the way. Burning hot sun. The film took the living room down probably 3 degrees F and combined with a thick pull down shade and curtains, it made a big difference. 

I ended up putting it on all the windows of the house facing east and it really did make a difference. It's not ugly from the inside but it is from the outside. :(

• coray
    12 months ago

First off, congrats on your new house (and baby?)! I do think your sectional looks dark and bulky…lightening up in color and heft would be a good idea. As far as sunlight goes, I know exactly what you mean….we’re in the same boat. We love a bright, airy house, of course, but the entire back of our house (also Mtn views) gets direct sun almost all day from April-October, and it can be very challenging to control heat/brightness. We have a deck across the back, so if it’s not windy (which is often the case in the mtns), we roll out our awnings. (Because of the views DH strictly forbade blinds, and I had to fight tooth and nail to get even sheer linen curtains 😬…he was adamant!) Upon moving in we realized that we desperately needed shade across the back, so we got 2 of the largest motorized awnings Sunsetter makes. (I have no idea how the previous owners made do with just one tiny umbrella 🤷‍♀️)They help tremendously, but when it’s too breezy, no can do☹️.

• coray
    12 months ago

Seconding Diana’s comment re window film! i forgot we did that, too…lots of different choices, and we do not find it ugly at all…you can’t even tell. (Our windows are low e so they do look green from the outside…nothing we can do about that.)

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Wow thanks everyone! I’ll look into all these options. Unfortunately all these big windows but they don’t open! I’ll take the light though :)

And thanks for the congrats. Yes new house and baby #3 :)

I agree, the couch is a bit bulky. I bought it cheap knowing it would make due until we knew what we wanted to do with the space. I’ve tried to keep with it but I think it is just not my style. I’d love to eventually get some color in this room!

• kl23
    12 months ago

If you stay in your home awhile, you may consider building on a patio with a roof overhead so you can enjoy your mountain view from inside and outside without the glaring sun. We love ours, 13' deep with 2 ceiling fans. It's great in all weather except very hot or very cold. And while it blocks the glaring light, it also bounces light from the patio floors up onto our ceilings, making our rooms lighter but with less harshness, an unexpected bonus.

• kl23
    12 months ago

@Whitney Downing For color, do I see you have one wall that is a light sage green while the others are beige? Or is that a trick of light? I was thinking with your mountain views, maybe blues and greens would be nice colors. If you show a view out the windows maybe you can pick up the colors in the mountains. That helps to mentally expand your space to the outside. An area rug and some throw pillows would be inexpensive starts towards color.

• kl23
    12 months ago

@Whitney Downing can you arrange your furniture as @BeverlyFLADeziner showed in her top arrangement, remove clutter in the seating area and take a picture for us? I like that arrangement better for a couple reasons. One is that it keeps the play area closer to you in the kitchen. The other is that I think it might play up the dark color of the sectional to it's best, disappearing in the mountain view. I read once that if you have a great view you want to emphasize to use a dark wall color; that using a light wall color stops the eye at the wall, while the dark wall color draws the eye out to a lighter outer view. Might work with the dark sofa. What do you think about having two matching area rugs in your space; one for the seating area, a second for the play area? And if it were me, I'd want them thin enough to run a Roomba over every night to clean up the little specks of living.

• Silvia Punta
    12 months ago

I like the look of Beverly’s plan but I would try and put the long sofa on the big wall without windows facing the light as well . With any new space using the furniture you had it’s best to try the different looks and move furniture until it feels right for your needs . I would put a desk under the window for instance in order to look out …try different areas to see what suits you best and before deciding on rugs and window treatment.

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    12 months ago

@KL thank you for your great suggestions!

There is a patio that wraps around the house but it is only a few feet wide. Gives the outside an interesting look. It’s not well used right now, as it is only wide enough for a small chair. Maybe eventually we can extend it:)

I love the idea of matching rugs for cohesion!

The long wall is a grey/green and the others are white.

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    12 months ago

I appreciate everyone’s ideas for window treatments!

@Silvia Punta, if the couch is on the long wall what would you recommend to the tv? Low console table in front of the windows across from the couch?

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    12 months ago

I will work on moving the furniture around and update with a picture! I appreciate everyone’s thoughtful input!

• felizlady
    12 months ago

Everything is along the wall…too many pieces with no obvious purpose. Add a rug large enough to fill the center of the conversation area. I suggest an oriental-style rug which will give you a color scheme to play on. Make the room a conversation area with a cozier rectangular furniture arrangement (the kids can roller skate down the center with the current arrangement). Is this where you entertain guests? Move excess baby furniture closer to the kitchen…Mother spends substantial time in the kitchen, so place the child’s stuff so the child can see Mom and interact with her. Don’t block a sliding glass door if you have one. Hang fabric panels to frame the windows. Use shades or drapes to cover windows which allow neighbors to see into your home. Make sure your plants are not poisonous to children.

• Silvia Punta
    12 months ago

Ahh yes the TV , it’s not so big …you could put it in the corner across from the plant ? Or have it put on a wall/ ceiling mount and not have on the piece of furniture . I would move things around until you find the right spot for your comfort ….to me it’s just so much nicer looking at a window and out than having the back to a view outside . Luckily the sofa has an L shape component so you could angle the tv from different places while lying or sitting on the sofa .

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Thanks @felizlady! Good point on location for baby/kids’ section of the room! I am looking forward to finally getting curtains up too- they make such a huge difference!

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks @Silvia Punta. I will try that! :)

• PRO
    Dounia Home
    11 months ago

I would also add a semi-flush light to pull the space together and add visual interest.

this fixture is perfect its low profile while adding an organic feel.

https://www.douniahome.com/products/moja-ceiling-flush-mount-fixture

• Whitney Downing
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Great idea thank you@dounia home