SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Wallpaper for DR

gtdj519
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

Hi

we are finishing up a kitchen renovarion in which we removed the wall between kirchen and DR. We have a light blue- grat backsplash. The DR has chantilly lace half wall wainscoat and crown molding. someone suggested a wallpaper for above the wall wainscoat , and I love the idea. the choices are overwhelming and made even more difficult by the huge wallpaper books in which the papers cannot be removed. I would like a textured/ grasscloth like paper in white, light gray, silver. a touch if blue mixed in is okay too, but I feel the backsplash gives plenty color, so i thought a soft color wallpaper will keep the light/ airy look I want

Does it matter if the stripes of the textured paper go vertical or horizontal?

Do you think the direction I am going in will look nice with what is in place?

here are a few that I like so far :

choice 1 - white/ light grey / metallic silver vertical textured

Choice 2

light grey vertical textured metallic (the large grey square)

Chocie 3 grey with blue horizontal textured

Choice 4 light gray and white horizontal grasscloth

The overall space - wallpaper will be in DR onky half wall above the wainscoating. It will be adjacent on the wall to the backsplash.

Comments (32)

• Lyn Nielson
    11 months ago

I don't see any photos or ideas as suggested in your original post.

Wallpaper great idea, verticle generally will help add illusion of height, if you need it.

Wayfair.com has a great selection of affordable wallpaper for ideas.

Your style?

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Sorry… let me try pics again

• Related Discussions

Buffalo check curtains with this wallpaper?

Q

Comments (17)
    Busy, the swags I have now (not in the picture below) already have a tannish gold with rust checks, and it just looks dirty. With my kitchen and DR having a lot of white I'm thinking the B&W would look better. Especially in the kitchen. But that's why I have you guys, to see what I can't see. lol. Here's an old picture of both windows. Right now they both have the swags which aren't shown. What I like about the black and white is the crispness of the two colors combined, and it matches the other colors perfectly. Windowsill and countertop decor has completely changed since this pic. Backsplash has ruby red diamonds with light yellow diamonds around the sink and stove. Floor is a cream and rust. Oh, the light above the sink is a white schoolhouse style with a red stripe going around it. Ditto for the ceiling light.
    ...See More

Layers of wallpaper - add another layer, or strip?

Q

Comments (13)
    Ok - a small update. I went to our local paint/wallcovering store and she said while it is possible to put another layer on (after gluing down any lifted areas) that it would be best if I stripped and then re-papered. She then showed me a book with textured papers in it that were already colored, and she pointed out a gorgeous plaster look-alike that I loved, and it will eliminate the step of painting for me, which frees up more energy and time for me to strip the wallpaper. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me to find a textured paper that was already finished instead of the type that needs paint. DOH! But, anyways... I think that is the way I am leaning - strip the current layers, re-paper in a faux plaster wallcovering.
    ...See More

Help with new color for DR

Q

Comments (77)
    Oh my, lol. How about taking all three colors and just wash them across : ) The stripes seem to be different colors. The left one looks more olive and seem to work well. The far right stripe, though, is it more blue/gray? Looks good with what's below it but not much is showing and it's in shadow : ) The far right paint would seem to be a mismatch when under the far left stripe. I've been wondering if maybe you should *not* be trying for an exact match. If it's just close, it will look off. And depending on the light, sometimes it may look right and other times not. Maybe if you go darker, it will look like an intentional difference, as long as you get the general toning right. And you said you had it color-matched, right?
    ...See More

Dining room refresh phase 2: wallpaper and mission creep

Q

Comments (1)
    I was envisioning something like this only with wallpaper:But with crown molding it might be like this, only how weird would it be just to trim one doorway?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago

How about just stripes painted on the wall one matte on semi gloss to create a look without the hassle of wallpaper install and for sure grass cloth is tricky to get right. I just looked again at the DR and IMO the wainscoting is too high to add wallpaper and honestly wallpaper is best on a large span of wall which you don't have . I also think the dark wood china cabinet next to the very light kitchen does not really work I would remove the display part of tha cabinet and add a really fabulous piece of art in the colors form the kitchen to make this blend better .All the wall painted the same color and the wainscoting the same or removed

• HU-918119203
    11 months ago

Pretty kitchen! I would go option 4. I generally prefer a horizontal grasscloth, and this option seems to have a touch of warmth to it. The others are a bit cold and matchy to the kitchen IMO.

gtdj519 thanked HU-918119203
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Patricia , I really sont see how painting srioes would be easier than hanging wallpaper. I also think that would look gaudy. that is not really my style.

Im not installing the paper myself, I have an installer. I am also not getting real grasscloth, I prefer faux, or just a textured wallpaper.

the wainscoat is not being removed. It is beautifully done, and excellent quality. It is staying. Same for DR; it is a custom set that I am not changing. I will hang nice art flanking the china cabient to incorporate kitchen colors of blue/ gray.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

thank HU— I like number 4, but I do wish it had a touch of metallic in it . its not as warm in person as in the pic. Its a mix of very light gray and white. These phones/ computers are terribke with showing true color!! 🤦🏼‍♀️

this may show true color on 4 a bit better

• Mrs. Beasley
    11 months ago

Your kitchen is lovely. What about adding a wallpaper that has a botanical feel? Then the rooms won’t feel too sterile.

gtdj519 thanked Mrs. Beasley
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thsn you Mrs. Beasley. Id like to keep the wallpaper subtle/ textured,, not to too busy. I like to use botanical/ floral in my art work , which will be added to the DR.

Thank you susie!! ues, the wallpapers I posted are cooler. The kirtchen, paneling and crown molding are all chantilly lace- a cool crisp white. When I look at the warmer wallappers, they look too beige/ tan/ dirty next to the chantilly whites in the spaces. I dont like it; it doesnt look right. The floors arent really as yelow as the pics make them look. They are natural white oak; so they lean cooler/ whiter than they appear. These online pics are rough to decifer!!

Some of the metallics look pretty with a soft sheen to them. The faux grasscloths are really nice too. this is tough to choose

• sydneyfv
    11 months ago

Will the wallpaper be on the wall you are showing it on and wrap around the 3 walls?

I like 2 or 3 for colour. I think 4 is too beige looking.

Could you take pictures on your counter? And next to your cabinets. Those are big surface areas in your kitchen.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Yes stdneyfv- the wallpaper is going above the wainscoating, wrapping around on the 3 walls . I placed the wallpaper samples on that particular wall and rook a pic, , as the blue/ gray tile will be directly adjacent to the wallpaper on that wall. the other 2 walls ( behind china cabinet and the wall by french doors, are just walls; no tile near/ next to it.

• cpartist
    11 months ago

Funny, in my former life I was a wallpaper and fabric designer and then owned a wallpaper handscreen wallpaper company. Sold the co one year after my son was born so I could instead freelance for the co I sold it to, and concentrate on raising my son, and later my daughter. And that was just about the time wallpaper was diving into the toilet so it actually worked out well for me. :)

Im not installing the paper myself, I have an installer. I am also not getting real grasscloth, I prefer faux, or just a textured wallpaper.

NO! Looks too commercial. Like you'd see in a lawyers office or an office bathroom.

Either get the real thing or get a pretty subtle print. Maybe a a tone on tone vine, floral or geometric?

Trust me when it's hung it won't be too busy as long as you keep it more of a tone on tone.

geometric

chevon

abstract

gtdj519 thanked cpartist
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Interesrimg cpartist. Glad it worked out thr way it did did. Thanks for sharing your story !!

i cant / dont wanr real grasscloth. The dust, not being abke to clean etc… i have a daughter with ashma/ allergies , so the real thing is not good for her healrh. I really do like rhe soft subtle look of it. Some of the ones i posted were just textured, not suppose to be grasscoth. i really dont mind the faux grqsscloth , Some are very pretty to me

i will look at some tone on tones in geometric .. I just worry I may tire of them, look busy, etc Botanicals, no . Vines,no- reminds me of a jungle room. LOL

The mottled/ abstract ones remind me of mold on a wall LOL Those plaster/textured type remind me of chipped, cracked, broken cement walls in need of repair- horrible!!

i think geometric would be an option along with the faux grasscloth - even if its commercial looking 😉

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I brought these samples home today. Cant get into room to see how they look as contractors are here.

first two are by Thibaut - called painted desert Its like a watercolor blend paper.

one is gray blend other is gray and blue bend.

Watercolor blends grey

watercolor blend blue-gray

below are pics of above samples from the website of both colors. The blue gray blend is NOT that blue/ green color in person! seems like you can apply it vertical

or horizontal

Basketweave

• cpartist
    11 months ago

Thibaut is a good company. Not cheap.

I hear you on the allergies!

Personally, I'd look into printed textures without the raised fake textures. Printed will not look so commercial.

The top one I wouldn't hang horizontally unless your walls are 1000% perfect. However vertically, they could be a good choice. I like that one. It reminds me of expensive silk.

I'm thinking for you the bottom one may be a bit too busy once it's hung?

• cpartist
    11 months ago

Um do you know how that top one is printed? Is it printed vertically or horizontally? I'm guessing vertically, but definitely check.

• User
    11 months ago

Thibaut makes a spa blue ombré stripe that is beautiful. It is a thinner stripe than the sample you have.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you cpartist and rtpaige03.

i will look at the thibaut you suggested .

you’re right cpartist. the bottom basketweave one is bery busy. The wallpaper shoo had a sample roll and have it to me to try. Whoa… made me fo cross eyed 😂.

the watercolor one I believe is printed vertically. However, I only have the sample attached iin the book, and once I was able to come into the room tonight, they are looking a bit cream/ tan where it should be white.

I also have a strio of a metallic textured silver/ pl platinum colored one. I like the elegance of it, but I know you will think it is commercial, as it isnt anyhring special. But i do think it looks really prettty.

i will post pics of them

YIKES! - way too busy

metallic silver/ platinum

• PRO
    Gray Space Interior Design
    11 months ago

Choice 4 would look the best with it's horizontal orientation! It would make the room appear larger, and add a bit of texture in contrast to your gray tiles. It's light, airy, and would also compliment the wainscoting on the bottom of the wall around the perimeter.

gtdj519 thanked Gray Space Interior Design
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you gray space interior design . the tiles are actually a light blue- gray color. these phones/ computers skew colors awful and make it hard to know what things truly look like.

• cpartist
    11 months ago

You're right. To me they remind me of Dr offices and lately I've been to way too many. LOL.

Try looking at some geometrics too.

gtdj519 thanked cpartist
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Lol cpartist I dont asssociate the faux grasscloths with doctor offices myslef, so I am okay with them. but I understand what you mean about associations. You cant shake it out of your head!

For me , the textured distressed wallpapers remind me of worn out, dilapidated walls in the houses in need of repair….. I grew up in The Bronx 😂

i will go back to the store tomorow and look some more. There is an overwhelming amount of chocies . I do think a light silver/ pewter metallic looks really nice. I am finding that the gray wallpapers read tan,, taupe in the space. - they arent really looking right The silvers look good .

• Maureen
    11 months ago

It sounds like you have a good sense of what you want, just hard to find the one you love. Given you are papering the dining room, it should be the focus (vs if only holding up to the tile). You started with a simple faux grasscloth look; it was a good choice as you won’t tire of, it will not take over and to work with dining room’s furniture (and flooring), consider a bit of a brown inclusion. The quality will also make a big difference.

Sample available, if interested.

https://wallcoveringsmart.com/collections/all/products/75814-grey-faux-grasscloth-wallpaper?variant=21439712067689

Be sure you are 100% sure, it’s a big commitment. (Years ago my mother, husband and I were papering our dining room and I got a dreadful feeling it wasn’t right and it never was!)

gtdj519 thanked Maureen
  • Mary Iverson
    11 months ago

Consider a painted Strié effect - the colors are limitless.

Please no gray + gray + gray.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thanks maireen! very helpful advice and I agree, I have to feel 100 percent good about the paper chocie, as its not a small investment. i do like the frasscloths, its just finding the right tone.

thanks you mary and raimondi for the suggestions. appreciate it.

just for a few more books from the shop today and will look through

• cpartist
    11 months ago

Agree with Raimondi. I understand understated, but that doesn't mean bland. :) If I lived near you, I'd come help you pick a good wallpaper.

gtdj519 thanked cpartist
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Had a few minutes ro look at a few books before the contactoes came .

I thought this may be pretty option.

its a tonal sort of brush stroke metallic.

there is this silver one and there is also a white tonal. The white Iis too light I rhink, , , but the silver looked nkce I rhoight

silver

white

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I have 5 that I am considering. The pics dont show well, but they are light silver metallic, and rhey all have a sheen/sparkle to them.

A lot of the prints are just way overdone, or I feel like i woukd get tired of them after a week. i want something elegant and simple, and I am having a hard time finding that in a pattern. I found one pattern I thought was simple and nice, but my husband said it looked like it belonged an office space 🤦🏼‍♀️😂

pattern that got voted out

wallpapers we both like below

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Update….

we chose a silk/ strie looking wallpaper from Galerie Walkcoverings in a silver/ platinum color. It has a subtle gltter/ shimmer theoughout the paper which looks beautiful when the lights/ sunlight hits the walls. I think it is very pretty and elegant. The pictures unfortunately do not show the color or details well at all. Looking forward to seeing it installed. Thanks everyone

• cpartist
    10 months ago

Funny the only one I thought doesn't look like an office space is the one your husband voted out. LOL. Goes to show everyone has different ideas.

I'm sure your choice will look elegant once hung. Be sure to come back to show us.

gtdj519 thanked cpartist
  • rebunky
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Well somehow I missed seeing this thread.

I like what you chose because the lines are super subtle and run vertically.

Your tile runs horizontally, so I like the change of direction where it butts against the backsplash. The slight glitz definitely fits your elegant style. 💕

gtdj519 thanked rebunky
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks cpartist and rebunky.

we wanted ti keep it siimple with texture. Artwork/ rug will bring in the blues to the dining space. prints weren’t the direction we wanted. The one we chose with the soft shimmer, really leans elegant. The pic is bland looking, but in person its a beautiful sheen and strie texture.

i will be wallpapering my ceiling entryway with something more of a statment. Looking wallpaper with light blue watercolors or gemetrics.

thats the next task on the list i began searching for 🤦🏼‍♀️ little by little